gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:29:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was Brian listening to in 1968-73?  (Read 11421 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:17 AM »

We know Brian was into Rubber Soul in 1965-66 but after that, I haven't read much on his following the music scene that closely. Did he ever try to incorporate or compete with late Beatles (White Album, Abbey Rd), CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, the whole Laurel Canyon scene?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »

He once listed Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" as a personal favorite album.  So I would imagine some of those years in bed (1972-1975) were spent listening to that quite a bit.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »

Plus "Be My Baby" on a loop.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »

Randy Newman "Sail Away"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »

Switched-On Bach. Also, Stevie Wonder.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »

There was a large collection of records in the house at that time, here's just a handful l know were floating around.
Buffalo Again
Eldorado
Music of My Mind
Carl gave a copy of Let it Be when it came out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:23:03 AM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »

Randy Newman "Sail Away"

Good call. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »

Also, Stevie Wonder.
In one of Q&As Brian said that Stevie's "the best" & cited his 1972 album "Music of My Mind".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

Randy Newman "Sail Away"

Y'know I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but I've always thought the Newman connection is really important in figuring out Brian's creative trajectory in the mid-70s. Vocally, Newman seems to be a model for mid-70s Brian, and the sort of jazz-pop/torch song vibe Newman had informs some Love You/Adult Child stuff. I'd be interested in reading Brian's thoughts on him if there are interviews about it anywhere.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »

In that Rolling Stone video which features Brian playing a snippet of "Long promised road" he also plays "The wonder of you". Now, that is of course an old song that Brian might've remembered in Ray Peterson's version. But since he was also asked in that video about his meeting with Elvis and Elvis had a big hit with the song in 1970 I could imagine that it was Presley's version that Brian had in mind. It's just a guess though.

On his website Brian mentioned that he loved Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" a couple of years ago. Or maybe it was in some interview.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »

I think we have determined that Brian didn't spend "years in bed" but sort of had the reverse sleep cycle of the average person.He would party all night and sleep all day. His version of  the graveyard shift.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »

He once listed Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" as a personal favorite album.  So I would imagine some of those years in bed (1972-1975) were spent listening to that quite a bit.

Is there a source for this? I have never heard about this before and can only wonder what his reaction was to "On The Run"...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:32:46 PM »

Is there a source for this? I have never heard about this before and can only wonder what his reaction was to "On The Run"...

If I remember correctly, there was actually an audio clip on SoundCloud or something that was posted officially by Brian's people, and had him talking about great albums or something, and sure enough he mentioned Dark Side of the Moon. I must say I was pretty surprised when I heard this. But indeed, he did say it.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

Stanley Black Orchestra  version of Rhapsody  in Blue.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »

There's a 1973 interview that starts off with him playing records but I don't have it in front of me right now
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »

I first read it here: http://petsounds40.blogspot.com/2006/07/day-at-beach-boys-house.html

Must've been wild, those years in bed and sneaking out at night to go to random parties.  Waking up everyday with "Be My Baby" on a loop and then some Randy Newman and DSOTM sprinkled in. 

Listening

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »

Joe South "Games People Play."

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »

Thank you, JCM. Good interview with Brian on a "good" day and I'm still shocked about DSOTM!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 02:29:09 AM »

If he was listening to DSOTM in 1972, l for one would be amazed and impressed in equal proportion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 05:27:49 AM »

If he was listening to DSOTM in 1972, l for one would be amazed and impressed in equal proportion.

C'mon, Andrew. He was ahead of his time. You know that. Right?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »

He once listed Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" as a personal favorite album.  So I would imagine some of those years in bed (1973-1975) were spent listening to that quite a bit.

I thought it was obvious I was speaking in general terms when referring to the years spent in bed.  Guess not, fixed.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

Maybe Derek Taylor got him an EMI acetate.  Grin
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »

He could have started listening to DSOTM at any time between 1973 and 2006, when the interview was conducted.

IIRC AGD prefers Jim Steinman to the Floyd. Not that I infer anything from that  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:23:45 PM by harrisonjon » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »

I would bet money he was into early Steely Dan and Lennon McCartney solo material in the early70's.
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 04:43:36 AM »

Be My Baby
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx