gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:46:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gospel, anyone? Question regarding The Torchbearers/Goss Brothers  (Read 1123 times)
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »

I am hoping to gather some info on an album (see images below) I recently found, and thus far I have only managed to glean little.  So am hoping there might be some Gospel aficionado's on here who could either help answer this or direct me in the right direction.

I picked up an album at a local thrift store the other day.   I bought it because it amused me and seemed something of a curio.  It is an album by a group called the Torchbearers entitled "The Torchbearers Sing!"   The cover shot is three dorky, clean cut kids holding guitars (semi-electric variety), the rear cover has funny, hipster liner notes.  Both jacket and vinyl are in fantastic shape.  There is no record company info anywhere, nor any printing info (other than a catalog number/matrix number).  However it appears to be at least early sixties.   The performer credits on the back are "Larry, James and Ronnie Goss" along with some guy name Vic Clay on vocals.   The jacket states they are out of Harrisburg PA.
I found that there was a very successful Gospel group, the Goss brothers, who in the article I read were named "Lari, James and Roni Goss" - pretty close to the names on my album, so are they the same?   The article I read stated nothing about any group called the Torchbearers.   Though the guys in some of the old videos of the Goss Brothers do look like the three on the front cover of this album.
Since there is no record co. info or anything (there is some sort of catalog/matrix #, but that's it), I am making an assumption that this was an independent, band financed pressing.   I have not been able to listen to the album as I currently have no turntable, but by the looks of it I am thinking it could be some weird early version of "Christian Rock" - though who knows?  

Thanks in advance for any help, etc.   (Oh, and I am not assuming the album is worth anything $ wise, though it is in incredible condition, but I am just really curious to find out more about its origins)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:39:38 PM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »

I dont know about them personally, but you'll find that lots of, and maybe even MOST OF Gospel albums from that time period were regional things, sometimes churches would actually finance them. 

I'm not familiar with the Goss brothers, but I'd say 99% chance it's the same group. 
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:52 AM »

Thanks Ron.  The church financed idea makes sense and is likely a good bet.   
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »

That's cool how it says "New. Exciting. Different." on the top, so you're right it may be some sort of gospel rock album...
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »

That's cool how it says "New. Exciting. Different." on the top, so you're right it may be some sort of gospel rock album...

Yes, and the liner notes, which unfortunately are not clear in the pic, are written like a conversation - something like, "Hey, wanna hear something cool, man?" While also making it clear that these are "clean cut, good boys praising the Lord"   Cheesy
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx