gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:15:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Chris Squire  (Read 1925 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »

http://www.guitarworld.com/chris-squire-founding-yes-bassist-dead-67

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »

Article:

Bassist and vocalist Chris Squire, a founding member of prog-rock legends Yes, died today, June 28, at age 67 after a brief battle with Acute Erythroid Leukemia (AEL), an uncommon form of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).

The U.K.-born Squire had been receiving treatment in Phoenix, where he lived, since being diagnosed with the disease only last month.

Geoff Downes, Squire's bandmate in Yes, posted the news via his Twitter account:

"Utterly devastated beyond words to have to report the sad news of the passing of my dear friend, bandmate and inspiration Chris Squire."

Squire, who had been a member of every configuration of Yes throughout the band's 47-year history, was recently replaced in the band's touring lineup by Billy Sherwood, a former member of the band (1997 to 2000).

"This will be the first time since the band formed in 1968 that Yes will have performed live without me," Squire said in May. "But the other guys and myself have agreed that Billy Sherwood will do an excellent job of covering my parts, and the show as a whole will deliver the same Yes experience that our fans have come to expect over the years."

Squire was widely regarded as the dominant bass guitarist among the early Seventies British prog-rock bands, influencing peers and future generations of bassists with his biting sound and ultra-melodic bass lines. He often has been associated his trademark Rickenbacker 4001 bass.

Besides his many years with Yes, Squire released a solo album, Fish Out of Water, in 1975 and formed Squackett with guitarist Steve Hackett in recent years.

Squire was born in Kingsbury, a suburb of north west London, March 4, 1948. He was trained in the St. Andrew's church choir as a child, beginning his musical career with a group called the Selfs. After joining a string of other bands, Squire formed Yes with vocalist Jon Anderson, drummer Bill Bruford and keyboardist Tony Kaye in 1968.

"I couldn't get session work because most musicians hated my style," he said. "They wanted me to play something a lot more basic. We started Yes as a vehicle to develop everyone's individual styles."

Yes released their first album, Yes, in 1969, and their latest, Heaven & Earth, in 2014. Throughout the band's many mutations and configurations, Squire's singing (backing vocals), bass playing and song writing remained welcome constants.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

Just got into Yes recently but this strikes me pretty hard. Very sad day indeed.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »

Not a fan, but holy sh*t, what an important loss.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:13 PM »

Ye gods, that was quick. What a vicious disease. The poor man didn't stand a chance...

R.I.P., sir. Thank you for some classic bass lines----and some great memories.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »

Sad

RIP Chris. That didn't take long. Sad
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »

A horrible loss. I am a big Yes fan and Squire was Yes.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

RIP Sad
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »

Hard to believe he is gone. I saw Yes with Chris on their last tour less than a year ago. And I will never forget my first time seeing Yes, at their peak, on the Close to the Edge tour. Saw them again some years,back in Hawaii, on their last tour with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman.

As always, Chris was one hell of a monster bass player! He is missed!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx