gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:08:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian at The China Club in 1991  (Read 7511 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »

Someone sent me a video of a good portion of this concert many years ago and told me it was Don Was's back yard, and that it was a release party for the unauthorized autobiography.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:07:53 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »

Very rough, but would've been nice to see this approach developed further. The flaw in Brian's current shows is not having his piano as part of the mix. I'd settle for a few 'unplugged' songs mid-show with just Brian alone at his piano.

For what it's worth, Brian's piano was audible at the Austin show playing Love and Mercy (him and Darian were playing).

Throughout his solo touring, even in the years when he didn't play much, he was usually given a solo keys spot or two. (In My Room, the intro to Marcella, etc.)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »

I think they’ve found a happier middleground when it comes to Brian’s keyboard playing in concert. In 1999, he was playing a keyboard that was usually if not always mixed out (and/or not plugged in), but still mimed keyboard parts where his hands stayed in the same spots even during chord changes. This never bugged me a lot, simply because we all know he can play piano. It was a more an aesthetically weird thing.

I think there was a lot of criticism (on the interwebs especially) of the mimed playing, and when I saw him in 2000, it was actually perhaps the best vocal performance I’ve seen Brian give. He was still behind his keyboard, but he just didn’t even lay his hands on the keyboard much if at all. He just sat on his chair and sang the concert, kind of as if he was recording his vocal in a studio.

Later on, we started getting more actual piano playing mixed into the show, though I’d say in the now approximately dozen times I’ve seen Brian, his piano/keyboard playing has never been prominently mixed into a show *throughout* the set. But like I said, that has never bugged me. He can play the piano just fine, so it’s not as if it’s a case of trying to cover up a lost ability to even play the thing.

As I’ve said recently, I’d love to see Brian just play for even an hour solo at a piano. I wouldn’t even care if he just stopped and started, switched songs, etc. I remember his impromptu blurted out bit of “Ding Dang” during that slightly awkward QVC cable TV appearance in 2000 was the highlight. Sometimes his off-the-cuff stream of consciousness song selections can be the best. I even remember someone reporting during the 2000 PS tour that they heard Brian start singing “Lady Lynda.”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

Yes, it’s more an interesting historical artifact than a red hot live set from Brian. Though, watching that clip of him in the leather pants singing and dancing to “Night Time” on that Dick Clark show, it still could have been worse…..

I’d say the “Hotel Tape” with Johnston, Foskett, and Stamos is more interesting, especially musically. My favorite part of that tape is still watching Bruce continually try to show Brian his “new arrangement” for “Caroline No” only to be continually ignored.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

Too bad for you. Worth watching the whole appearance. ( if you've never seen it, as I hadn't)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

Too bad for you. Worth watching the whole appearance. ( if you've never seen it, as I hadn't)

Can you point me to the good bits?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

Rhapsody In Blue at the very end.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »

Ouch!! I lasted 3 songs.

Our definitions are probably different.  It was uncomfortable watching( just think how Brian felt) but I thought it was very interesting, especially for the time

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »

Brian did a few live solo spots around this time with Don Was.  It was the performance of Love and Mercy at one of these which that was instrumental in the later deal with Was' label.  I seem to recall a picture of Brian wearing a similar shirt with a jacket over it that appeared in Stomp magazine talking about the China Club gig.

He also went on to do the San Diego Convention in 1992 (similar to his Stomp appearance) where he played some songs informally on the piano. He also appeared on Friday Night at the Dome (UK) Playing piano and talking about his Don Was collaboration and Sweet Insanity.  I would also love to see Brian do more of this, or compile all the outtakes from interviews where he sits at the piano and release them on DVD.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »

Brian did a few live solo spots around this time with Don Was.  It was the performance of Love and Mercy at one of these which that was instrumental in the later deal with Was' label.  I seem to recall a picture of Brian wearing a similar shirt with a jacket over it that appeared in Stomp magazine talking about the China Club gig.

He also went on to do the San Diego Convention in 1992 (similar to his Stomp appearance) where he played some songs informally on the piano. He also appeared on Friday Night at the Dome (UK) Playing piano and talking about his Don Was collaboration and Sweet Insanity.  I would also love to see Brian do more of this, or compile all the outtakes from interviews where he sits at the piano and release them on DVD.

Here's a clip from the San Diego Fan Convention. In 1990.

http://youtu.be/sPwnJ07cJjY

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 04:50:27 AM »

Haven't seen this performance in years. Thanks for posting!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »

Favourite moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwnJ07cJjY&t=2m08s LOL

Very sweet and energetic performance overall!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »

This is great! Love the crowd goading him into not lip synching it. Cool dance moves too haha
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »

Favourite moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwnJ07cJjY&t=2m08s LOL

Very sweet and energetic performance overall!

WHOA.... the ACTUAL CASSETTE!!! 
what a difference a few years make!

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »

new link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FW0nyVn1M

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx