gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What instruments can each member play?  (Read 7515 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »

What instruments can each member play??
Mike- Umm…….. Saxophone and probably a bit of guitar?
Brian- Bass, Keys, and apparently guitar (Breakaway?) and Drums (Funky Pretty?)
Carl- Guitar, Bass, Keys
Denny- Drums, Keys
Al- Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Ukulele--- Any string instrument??
Bruce- Bass, Keys, Guitar (1984 July 4th), Saxophone (Clips all throughout the 80's), and even Mandolin? (Disney Girls)
David- Guitar (A MASTER OF THE GUITAR, WHILE I'M AT IT)
Blondie- Guitar, Bass
Ricky- Drums, Slide Guitar

Am I missing anything?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »

Carl played drums on a few things, Dennis played marimbas, harmonica, a little guitar on a couple things, Al plays banjo and a bit of keyboards, Dave plays drums, keyboards, bass. Most of those guys can pick up any instrument and get something useful out of it.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »

Wow, it's extremely ironic I just got a response from you. I just finished your FAQ book, and the Concert book is in the mail!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

Mike played that electro therimin thingy and have heard je can play some bass. And more cow bell! I mean sleigh bell.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SBonilla
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

I saw him play the flute intro to Sloop John B.
I have to assume he plays guitar in addition to the Steel.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »

I saw him play the flute intro to Sloop John B.
I have to assume he plays guitar in addition to the Steel.

Wow! Now, thats impressive!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »

Ricky is extremely versatile - drums, flute, guitar, pedal steel guitar (all onstage with The Beach Boys), keyboards (the Moog solo on "Leaving This Town"), bass and sitar (in The Rutles).

Carl played ukulele on a few things (among them "Little Pad", "Good Time" and probably "Loop de Loop").
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »

How proficient was Brian on the guitar? He really was a good bass player (despite his odd technique)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »

Ricky played accordion on Box Scaggs' "Sierra" from the "Some Change" album in 1994, along with organ and keyboards.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »

How proficient was Brian on the guitar? He really was a good bass player (despite his odd technique)

Brian's aptitude on guitar is surely minimal. He can probably play a few very basic chords and pick out some melody lines, but I don't think he played very much on record...just "After The Game" (the melody line), "Heroes And Villains" (alternate tag - the one where Carl sings a live scat - Brian strummed the 12-string Rickenbacker while Van Dyke formed the chords), and "Where Is She" (picking out melodic lines on the 12-string). Reportedly, he played rhythm guitar onstage when The Boys backed Joan Baez on a mostly a capella "Amazing Grace" at a Cambodian refugee relief benefit concert in Oakland, January 1980.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »

Recent interviews and Q&As have him claiming he doesn't know how to play guitar.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

Recent interviews and Q&As have him claiming he doesn't know how to play guitar.

He knows a few chords for sure.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »

Carl- Guitar, Bass, Keys
Denny- Drums, Keys
Bruce- Bass, Keys, Guitar (1984 July 4th), Saxophone (Clips all throughout the 80's), and even Mandolin? (Disney Girls)
Blondie- Guitar, Bass

Am I missing anything?

Mike - tambourine   
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »

Someone on facebook awhile back posted a pic from circa 1964/5 of Brian playing the drums onstage at a BB show, while Denny was upfront. So that happened in concert presumably at least a few times...
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »

A few years ago, someone on this board posted a link to a stock footage clip that absolutely fascinated me.  In the clip, you see the band jamming in an empty auditorium in the early 70s. Unfortunately, there's no sound. Personnel was as follows:

Ricky on electric guitar
Ed Carter on electric guitar
Carl on bass guitar
Daryl Dragon on keyboards
Blondie on the drum kit

I believe Blondie played a bit of drums & piano with the Flame & also on his solo album.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »

Brian is an adequate drummer. There's footage in the Nashville Sounds doc of him playing the Be My Baby intro. And he plays some on the Love You tracks, right?
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:36 PM »

Is it or is it not Brian playing the drums on "Wanderer" on their first live album? That's some really solid drumming.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SBonilla
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

I have played a couple of instruments well. I have played another couple, terribly. I have played numerous instruments as one offs in recording situations.

We should ask which of the past and present members have the most technical and musical proficiency.

Top of my list of the most technically proficient would be: Bruce, Ricky and David.
SBonilla
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »

Brian is an adequate drummer. There's footage in the Nashville Sounds doc of him playing the Be My Baby intro. And he plays some on the Love You tracks, right?

If you count hitting a snare on two and four, then, yes, he played drums on Love You.  Actually he does play a simple snare fill on Let Us Go On This Way.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »

Wow, it's extremely ironic I just got a response from you. I just finished your FAQ book, and the Concert book is in the mail!
Great! Hope you enjoy/ed them!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

Brian's aptitude on guitar is surely minimal. He can probably play a few very basic chords and pick out some melody lines, but I don't think he played very much on record...just "After The Game" (the melody line), "Heroes And Villains" (alternate tag - the one where Carl sings a live scat - Brian strummed the 12-string Rickenbacker while Van Dyke formed the chords), and "Where Is She" (picking out melodic lines on the 12-string). Reportedly, he played rhythm guitar onstage when The Boys backed Joan Baez on a mostly a capella "Amazing Grace" at a Cambodian refugee relief benefit concert in Oakland, January 1980.

I was at that Oakland show and don't remember that, not to say he didn't.  He mostly sat at a keyboard and on one song, maybe Rhonda, traded places with Bruce who was at his usual smaller rig. Joan Baez opened and The Boys followed.  They didn't stick around for the after-show get-together all the attendees were invited to since they were on their way to Lake Tahoe for a gig there.  The bill included Jefferson Airplane (or Starship, I guess), Santana, and the Grateful Dead. We left midway through Starship as we had a two and a half drive north. A few days later my dad told me that a family friend, who had worked for the Dead and helped build their sound stage set-up, was there as an official photographer and would have got us backstage passes had he known we were there. Sob.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »

Carl- Guitar, Bass, Keys
Denny- Drums, Keys
Blondie- Guitar, Bass

Am I missing anything?

I went through all the Wiki pages on BB songs (didn't take as long as it sounds, since not all the songs had Wiki pages, not all of the ones that did led to the BB version of the song, and not all of the ones that did lead to BB versions had a list of who did what) and here's every instrument Wiki attributes to them:

Mike- saxophone, tambourine, electro-Theremin, percussion
Brian- bass guitar, organ,  piano, harpsichord, xylophones or marimba, dog whistles, vibraphone, keyboard, Roxichord, percussion, harmonica, harmonium, snare drum,  ARP synthesizer, drums,  ARP String Ensemble, guitar, chimes, bells
Carl- guitar, twelve-string guitar, Fender bass,  organ, tambourine, moog, harpsichord, percussion, drums, piano, acoustic guitar,  synthesizer, harp, keyboards
Denny- drums, tambourine, hi-hat, organ, percussion, Moog, vibraphone, Piano
Al- bass guitar, guitar,  tambourine(maybe), water bottle, acoustic guitar,  Moog, banjo, whistle
Bruce- piano, organ, celesta, bass guitar, moog bass, mandolin, keyboards
David- guitar
Blondie- bass guitar, guitar
Ricky- drums, percussion, guitar, pedal steel guitar, flute

I omitted "handclaps", "spoken word", "laughter", and "sound effects".
There were about six thousand different pianos, organs, and keyboards listed.  They've been compressed into simply "piano", "organ", and "keyboard".

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 06:14:36 PM »

A few years ago, someone on this board posted a link to a stock footage clip that absolutely fascinated me.  In the clip, you see the band jamming in an empty auditorium in the early 70s. Unfortunately, there's no sound. Personnel was as follows:

Ricky on electric guitar
Carl on bass guitar
Blondie on the drum kit

I believe Blondie played a bit of drums & piano with the Flame & also on his solo album.

Is that clip still available?  Would love to see it.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

Ricky on electric guitar
Carl on bass guitar
Blondie on the drum kit

Is that clip still available?  Would love to see it.

http://www.footagefinders.com/clip.php?id=45125&search_string=man%E2&startrow=0

Try this link. I forgot to mention that Dennis Dragon is on percussion too.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:31:07 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx