gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:17:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: James Taylor reaches first No 1 on Billboard Album chart  (Read 1620 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »

http://variety.com/2015/music/news/james-taylor-no-1-u-s-album-chart-1201527587/

James Taylor got to #1 on Billboard's singles with You've Got A Friend 44 years ago and he's had six albums in Billboard's top five since Sweet Baby James, but this is his first album to top the chart.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »

I saw this headline in USA Today, and thought, as impressive as it sounds, it's pretty meaningless. What are the chances any of his new songs will be in the public consciousness the way Fire and Rain, Shower the People, Sweet Baby James or You've Got a Friend are?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »

It got some push on the way to the top, I saw a full page ad in the NY Times for the new album.   that'll draw attention.....and SALES!!!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »

Dunno.  How many 'sales' does it take to hit the top in any given week?  40 thousand maybe?  Sometimes less?  Then the next week?  Sales drop.  All the die-hards have their copy.  I bought one.  His first album of NEW JT songs in almost 15 years.  Doubtful he'll outsell his 70s albums when the 12 inch vinyl record became KING.

And then there's the radio airplay issue.  He ain't a girl and it don't got no 'beats'.

So-called Geezer music.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Well...at least it's friggin' MUSIC!!!]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:51:28 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »

Congratulations to James. He, too, has dealt with mental illness, drug addiction, lost a brother to alcoholism, was aided in his recovery by his second wife, and made a movie with Dennis Wilson! Gotta pull for the older ones still doin' it...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »

Everybody loves James Taylor.  Beautiful songwriter.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx