gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:35:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My view of the best live shows  (Read 3742 times)
MBE
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:28:34 AM »

Here is a quick review of the prime concert years.

61-64 From the little we have I would say better each year. The shows with Brian are probably a lot better then the ones he missed (this would be the case through 1970).  Great sound, raw, upbeat. Fave-Papa Oom Maw Maw- Dance, Dance, Dance

65-66 Good shows Michigan is a lot of fun. Kind of a transitional phase. A little less frenetic then before but Dennis is starting to blossom as an artist. Fave-Hide Your Love Away, Good Vibrations.

67-69 I know this is contentious but I like the Hawaii 67 because it's weird. Kind of a transitional phase the supporting players give the show a real boost. Dennis is really getting good now. Carl is coming into his own, perhaps a bit short or structured compared to other bands at that time but this would soon change. Fave-Heroes (in Hawaii- Celebrate The News on Mike Douglas- God Only Knows

70 Brian's show that survives is a lot of fun. Not counting the 1971 Tree performance, it is the last time that Brian sounds like his old self on stage. The rest of the shows are really good if still a touch short. The main difference is the more daring song selection. Album cuts start getting played more often; the medleys are dropped. Best-Add Some Music and anything Dennis sings lead on.

1971 has so much to offer. Superb setlist everyone reaching their peak. Even Mike sounds arty. While the shows that Dennis isn't at suffer in comparison, every show this year is great. Highlights- Lady and Surf's Up

1972 is almost as good with Blondie and Ricky adding a lot to the show. While some of the shows aren't as tight as 71, they hard rock edge found here is really something. Fave You Need A Mess Of Help-I've Got A Friend- and Wonderbill.

1973 These are still great shows but by the end of the year the oldies have begun to take over. Everything is still fresh sounding but Brian is missed more on the older songs.  I think the Beach Boys In Concert shows this problem off very well, and not only should Dennis have not been ignored he should have gotten his own side! Yet, as the last year that included a clutch of great new songs, this is still a peak. Highlights- We Got Love-Sail On Sailor, Trader, and River Song.

1974 Ok these shows still sound great, but they are going in the wrong direction. Not one new song, and Dennis' voice is starting to give out which does affect the harmonies. Little Deuce Coupe is the first oldie that makes me cringe. I love the original but it doesn't mesh with who The Beach Boys had been for the last eight years. Tight all around but this is the first year of decline. If they had broke up before the 1974 tour their record would have been spotless, Blondie leaving left a real gap with Sail On Sailor NEVER sounding quite right again.  I would say the highlights are (at least early in the year) Help Me Rhonda with Dennis, and Marcella.

1975 is an odd year. Ricky is gone and while Dennis drumming has (to me) gotten even more rocking, his voice is now rather limited. On something moody like In The Back Of My Mind he sounds terrific. On the oldies-not so much. There are still a few real great moments. The Beachago tour and the UK show seem to be real highlights of their live careers. Though I have only heard excerpts from each I like what I have heard quite a bit. Yet on their regular shows the setlists are oldies oriented and stuff like Be True To Your School has the same problem as Little Deuce Coupe. Now these shows are still entertaining, they aren't near what they where doing before. Highlight Jumpin Jack Flash is Mike Love at his best. The superb arrangement is based on Leon Russell’s.

1976 is both an improvement and a disaster. Brian comes back but sounds terrible. He seems not to want to be there, but at least seems a little more sober then he would be in years to come. Bringing him back takes away the previous professionalism and the show starts becoming a soap opera. The setlists are revitalized though and things like Susie Cincinnati and Wild Honey are brought out of disuse. This is the last year where Dennis is consistently on his game. His solo on Help Me Rhonda is great and Carl's improv at the end of Good Vibrations takes the song to new levels. The highlights are Rock and Roll Music and It's Ok two vastly underrated singles that sparkled live.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx