gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:36:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steve Miller  (Read 2960 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »

Hi all,

Tonight I am going to see Steve Miller at The Anderson Center at Binghamton University.  I am looknig forward to it.  I know that people will be singing along with him.  Some might dance.  It will be somewhat rowdy.  Yet it is still only Wednesday.  People won't be that rowdy.  I am looking forward to hearing Fly Like An Eagle, Abracadabra and Jungle Love.  I am looking forward to a fun and music filled night.  I will be sitting indoors and not on the lawn.   
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

Hi all,

Tonight I am going to see Steve Miller at The Anderson Center at Binghamton University.  I am looknig forward to it.  I know that people will be singing along with him.  Some might dance.  It will be somewhat rowdy.  Yet it is still only Wednesday.  People won't be that rowdy.  I am looking forward to hearing Fly Like An Eagle, Abracadabra and Jungle Love.  I am looking forward to a fun and music filled night.  I will be sitting indoors and not on the lawn.   

Lucky you. I have his Anthology comp----not a dud in sight:

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Steve-Miller-Band/dp/B00000DRBK

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »

Lucky You!  There is an old song he used to like to play in the early-to-mid 70's called "Nothing Lasts" - call for it and hope he plays it.  You won't be disappointed  if he does.

Have fun!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »

Here is the studio version:  https://youtu.be/2Piz5JhyB0c

There is also a live version from 1972.  Look around.  It's from one of his very best albums Recall the Beginning...Journey from Eden

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »

There is also a live version from 1972.  Look around.  It's from one of his very best albums Recall the Beginning...Journey from Eden

Is this the one you mean, Will? It's preceded by a brief interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4B9S6TkmBg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »

This is NOT in any way a call to slam the Hall of Shame or to iilicit a long list of entirely worthy inductees...as there are plenty and as Jann Wenner IS obviously a wiener BUT...Steve Miller dominated the 70s and he isn't in.  Pure foolishness.  Jann...your little disco Hall is tarnished.  Get your sh*t together you looser.

Sorry Mary.  Have fun.  He's still recording and performing in the 21st century.  A 'lifer'.  A HALL OF FAMER.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »

I get the impression that the likes of Steve Miller fans----your more serious-minded music lovers----would have loved Smile if it had been released in '67 (in response to a remark made in the "Van Dyke Barks" topic).     

beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »

" Sailor " is one of my all time favorite albums . "Wide River" is one of his recent albums that I really like , also.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

Is this the one you mean, Will? It's preceded by a brief interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4B9S6TkmBg

Hey John,  yes, that's the one.  With Roger Allen Clark on co-lead vocals.  I just put up a post on the other song he played, "Space Cowboy" - which the up-loader was saying was from 1976.  So many posters at youtube don't have a clue.  One was saying that is Lonnie Turner on bass!  It's the great Gerald Johnson of course.  A hint might have been that Lonnie was a white cat... and their styles are not that similar!  Oh well, it's youtube mentality.  Research before you post kids.

I'm guessing it's February 1972.  This was such a fantastic album for Steve Miller Band.  recall the beginning... a journey from eden is hard to come by, it was only ever released by some obscure Euro label on Cd (Rhapsody) as far as I know.  I had it on pre-order for nearly a year at Amazon UK - until they gave up and cancelled my order after many "yes I still want this album" updates.  You can get it as a down-load.  I have a fine vinyl of it.  I have Rock Love (1971) too.  Both bought in the respective years, and dragged around the country with me on my moves.

MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »

Hi all,

I left after the opening act sang his first song.  Steve wasn't going to come on until 9:15.  I am Mom's caretaker.  I couldn't stay.  The box office shold have said when people called that there was an opening act. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

Hi all,

I left after the opening act sang his first song.  Steve wasn't going to come on until 9:15.  I am Mom's caretaker.  I couldn't stay.  The box office shold have said when people called that there was an opening act. 
That annoys me when there is an unannounced opening act. There are a couple exceptions I can think of - seeing the Kinks in 1983 with the Kingsmen opening; and seeing the Beach Boys in 1988 with Spencer Davis opening.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »

Yeah, Miller belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Over Madonna and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5. Over Rush, and Kiss. I don't like Jann Wenner. Not one damn bit.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »

Hi all,

Too bad for you. But in the future you need to think realistically and not go to concerts if you're going to have to leave before toddlers' bedtime; I'd say your expectations arw WAY off.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »

Hi all,

Too bad for you. But in the future you need to think realistically and not go to concerts if you're going to have to leave before toddlers' bedtime; I'd say your expectations arw WAY off.

Tut tut, sir. That last remark was unnecessary. Anyway, I do believe you've got your facts wrong (for once). 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »

I saw him once in the 90's, it was a really good live show.  Stevie Guitar Miller Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »

I bet Miller got a good chuck of change in royalties when Shaggy appropriated "The Joker" for his hit "Angel".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx