gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:20:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian UK tour postponed?  (Read 27580 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

Who said anything about the touring Beach Boys? We're talking about BRIAN in concert.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, if he tours Pet Sounds in the US next year, I'm a buyer... I'm also ecstatic at the setlists of this tour.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »

I stand by the remark. The reason for a Brian Wilson concert was for him to play stuff that was uncommonly or never played by the Beach Boys in concert as well as his own stuff. He did Pet Sounds in full. He did Smile. I'd like to see Brian keep trying new things in concert, not another round of Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary or no 50th anniversary.

Speaking only for myself, I'd pay good money to see Brian sing the entire New Kids on the Block songbook, or sit on the stage for 2 hours reading the newspaper. Wouldn't matter to me, just want to be in the same room as the master.

Your mileage may very, of course...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2015, 11:32:49 AM »

Who said anything about the touring Beach Boys? We're talking about BRIAN in concert.

Your definition of what it means to milk something seemed a tad bit absurd, so I thought I'd give an example of what 'milking' something that would be relatable to you.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, if he tours Pet Sounds in the US next year, I'm a buyer... I'm also ecstatic at the setlists of this tour.

Dude, it is worth every single penny, and then some. Not only are the setlists great, you also get to see and hear an engaged, confident Brian completely knock you on your ass with some of the strongest vocals he's laid down in many a year.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »

Speaking only for myself, I'd pay good money to see Brian sing the entire New Kids on the Block songbook, or sit on the stage for 2 hours reading the newspaper. Wouldn't matter to me, just want to be in the same room as the master.

I'm fine with that, but hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Brian try a few new things in concert. I'd rather see him play the entire No Pier Pressure album live than Pet Sounds. It's the current thing. It's happening.

Your definition of what it means to milk something seemed a tad bit absurd, so I thought I'd give an example of what 'milking' something that would be relatable to you.

I'm not comparing Brian to the Beach Boys in concert.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »

I stand by the remark. The reason for a Brian Wilson concert was for him to play stuff that was uncommonly or never played by the Beach Boys in concert as well as his own stuff. He did Pet Sounds in full. He did Smile. I'd like to see Brian keep trying new things in concert, not another round of Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary or no 50th anniversary.

I'm fine with that, but hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Brian try a few new things in concert. I'd rather see him play the entire No Pier Pressure album live than Pet Sounds. It's the current thing. It's happening.

So you stand by your original comment about Brian milking the album "a lot too much" (11 plays over 10 years) but won't actually defend it. Because there's a big difference between thinking that, and wanting Brian to try a few new things in concert. Make up your mind.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »

Who ever said the reason for Brian’s tours was or is to play items rarely or never performed by the Beach Boys touring band? He certainly has had a more eclectic setlist over the years, rotating hits and “rare” songs in and out, sometimes doing full albums, etc. But apart from tours where it is advertised that a specific full album will be performed, there can never be *any* expectation or assumption about what the setlist will consist of. You buy a ticket for a Brian Wilson concert, and you get Brian Wilson performing. Everything else is up in the air: the song selection, the band, the length of the show, etc.

My preference has never been to see Brian perform a setlist that amounts to little more than a 90’s “Beach Boys” setlist with “Kokomo”, “Wipe Out”, and “Little Old Lady from Pasadena” excised. And he hasn’t ever done a setlist *that* boring. But at the same time, if Brian Wilson wants to sing “Pet Sounds” or “Shut Down” or “Little Deuce Coupe” or even “Barbara Ann”, I’m okay with that.

In 2000, I saw him do a full set of songs including weird stuff like “Let It Shine”, and then do the full PS album. I saw him do “Smile” twice on two different tours. I saw him do PS again with Al. I saw him do a “regular” show with Al. I’ve seen tours where he does stuff like “Back Home”, “And Your Dream Comes True”, “You’re Welcome”, and the list goes on. How much more obscure can we expect at this stage, especially as he pares back his touring schedule?

Believe it or not, Brian gets bookings in part based on his BB connection. It isn’t *all* due to name recognition and indie cred. So he does have to do some hit stuff too, particularly when he’s *not* basing the tour around a specific album.

I admitted in another thread that I’m a bit jaded in not necessarily being blown away that Brian is doing “Surf’s Up” again. I saw him do it at three different shows between 2001 and 2005. But then I realized. It has been TEN years since the last “Smile” tour. It has been SIXTEEN years since Brian started touring. There are indeed fans who have never heard PS in full or much if any “Smile” stuff. And then I also watched the video of the Greek LA show, and, you know what, that’s Brian Wilson (with Al to boot) singing “Surf’s Up”, one of his most amazing pieces. I’m sold.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »

I'm somewhat torn between disappointment at the cancellation (and it is a cancellation: the posited 2016 tour is something entirely different) and relief that Brian won't have to play huge arenas that are less than a third full. From the second it was announced, every aspect of this tour made you go "WTF are these people thinking of ?" - or with. The venues - utterly insane... the timing - both album and film would be months in the past, effectively forgotten by Joe Q. Public... the support - ridiculous and as many have asked, why any support at all ?

Gives me no pleasure at all to be proven correct but seriously, Stevie Wonder could see this coming on a dark night. The vast majority of the fans don't seem to be swallowing the given reasons.

It's not just UK fans who have lost money: I know of US and Australian fans who will loose more than ticket booking fees. It would be a nice gesture if someone offered compensation.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »

Financial compensation for non-recovering costs (hotels, etc) would be nice, although difficult to verify and organize, etc. Anything not covered as far as ticket costs in terms of getting a refund should be covered (not sure if any part of the actual face value of the tickets are not being refunded). 

In the alternative, some sort of small gesture, perhaps an exclusive free download of a recording of a full show from one of the US dates would be nice. Perhaps make the show purchasable for all fans, and free for those who had tickets to canceled shows.

I again have to reiterate that it’s at least possible that the cancelation itself (as opposed to the decision to book the tour, which would fall on both the promoter and Brian and management) was at the insistence of the promoter rather than Brian or his management. More details would be nice, although unlikely. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »

Having Brian do one special arena show. Brian Wilson one night only in the o2 arena, his only UK show this year, that would have a chance of selling out.

But a full blown UK arena tour, what was it, 5 or 6 different arenas, 80-100k tickets?

Madness.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

I remember when M&B played radio ads for a show in my area with 1964s BW falsettos. Should I ask for compensation after going and only seeing M&B there? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »

That would be the same promoter who booked Brian into such ludicrous venues in the first place ? Also, didn't Brian's management have to sign off the bookings ? Someone, be it promoter, management or both, made one godalmighty mistake in the first place, causing the fans to be out of pocket. That sucks, royally.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »

Just a thought, they could have moved the shows to smaller venues, that makes you think maybe there is some truth behind the reason given for the cancellations.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »

Like... this ? All venues listed were available on these dates when I googled them evening of the 8th:

18 - Theater Royal Nottingham [1186]
19 - Motorpoint Cardiff [5000]
20 - Manchester O2 Apollo [3500]
21 - RFH [2750]
22 - RFH [2750]
23 - Leeds Grand Theatre [1550]
25 - Glasgow Clyde Auditorium [3000]
26 - Liverpool Empire [2348]
27 - Birmingham Symphony [2262]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:31:42 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »

I feel really bad for the UK fans. It sucks.  Sad

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2015, 02:42:49 PM »

M&B overtouring as usual certainly didn't help ticket sales. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

Like... this ? All venues listed were available on these dates when I googled them evening of the 8th:

21 - RFH [2750]
22 - RFH [2750]

Andrew was that the 8th of June you checked?  Now to me that looks more like a Brian Wilson UK Tour and I would have been happy with that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »

8th of June, 2015, at about 10.30-11.15pm.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »

8th of June, 2015, at about 10.30-11.15pm.

They should have put you in charge! Smiley

I wonder why they couldn't have changed the venues.  Maybe they didn't want to lose face.  What would the logistics be regarding transfer of tickets and stuff?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Wasn't there some BW Australian tour a few years back that had be cancelled too?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »

Just throwing ideas out there. It might be difficult to move very large shows to much smaller venues if tickets sales are slow but they've still managed to sell more tickets than the "new" venue will hold.

To accommodate all ticket holders, you'd have to reschedule each of the shows to different venues, likely on the same dates. So if the original venue holds 10,000 seats and they only sold 5,000, they can't move that show to a 2,700 seat venue.

I'm not saying they couldn't have worked something out (have folks exchange their tickets for a different date and venue instead of using the original tickets at new venues, while combining the shows into fewer shows). But this logistically can turn into a problem quite easily.

The easiest thing to do would be to cancel the gigs. The question then becomes whether to re-book smaller venues (and perhaps fewer shows) during the same timeframe, or wait until a later date.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »

21 - RFH [2750]
22 - RFH [2750]

That right there is a perfect Brian Wilson tour.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

Just throwing ideas out there. It might be difficult to move very large shows to much smaller venues if tickets sales are slow but they've still managed to sell more tickets than the "new" venue will hold.

To accommodate all ticket holders, you'd have to reschedule each of the shows to different venues, likely on the same dates. So if the original venue holds 10,000 seats and they only sold 5,000, they can't move that show to a 2,700 seat venue.

I'm not saying they couldn't have worked something out (have folks exchange their tickets for a different date and venue instead of using the original tickets at new venues, while combining the shows into fewer shows). But this logistically can turn into a problem quite easily.

The easiest thing to do would be to cancel the gigs. The question then becomes whether to re-book smaller venues (and perhaps fewer shows) during the same timeframe, or wait until a later date.

Perfectly valid point, of course. Pulling together a little basic research and what others have said here and elsewhere, I'm reasonably sure that none of the venues have sold more than the capacity of my alternates.

But, all this is the mootest of moot points, of course.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:59:16 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »

Wasn't there some BW Australian tour a few years back that had be cancelled too?

Cancelled BW tours:

2/19/99-3/7/99: First US tour (more rehearsal time needed)

9/20/01-9/25/01: First Japanese tour (World Trade Center attack)

9/18/15-9/27/15: UK tour (poor ticket sales)

There's a few odd dates also cancelled down the years but no full Australian tour.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx