gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:00:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian UK tour postponed?  (Read 27695 times)
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »

This is indeed pish! That is one lame excuse. Is there really much doubt that it has been driven by poor ticket sales in oversized venues? Why not just be honest? I was going to the Glasgow show. I was looking forward to the NPP material. Yes, yes Pet Sounds is amazing but I've heard it live many times. I can't come up with any reasons why the success of L&M would give Brian more commitments in September. Disappointed and perhaps less inclined to re-buy tickets next year (or maybe not).
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 05:43:39 AM »

Refraining from the justifiably smug "I told you", it will be instructive to see if the tour is rebooked in the same massively oversized venues next year.

Is that what you call "refraining"?

Of course a certain UK astrologer told us this  just after the tour was announced. And many of us realised that these venues were not a sensible choice.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:06:09 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 05:56:07 AM »

oh, somebody said the venues were too big. Same guy who said no soundtrack to a certain film. Smarta....

As of now, am disinclined to show much interest in hearing Pet Sounds Live again. Sorry to say, but that ship sailed.

And when in 2016 ?  Who feels like holding dates or postponing things to catch one evening?   Last European Tour has a ring to it. Not sure if that ring is ka-ching however.

"Disappointment " is not a strong enough word
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:55 AM »

I don't actually recall Andrew telling us so in the first place, but anyway.

Had a repetitious mess of six emails from See Tickets.  First, they said the tickets will be valid for the rescheduled shows.  Then, later emails said the money paid for these shows will be refunded via the payment method used within 3-5 days.  Fine.  I'd rather re-book when the time comes, then I can pick my area and seat for the new venue.

Wasn't surprised by the news.  Was just waiting to hear it, really.  But it's still dismaying, largely because it would be cool to see the same tour that is happening in the US now with Al and Blondie.  I'd rather hear a long, mixed show with some NPP stuff and some surprise rarities.  That would be experiencing Brian as a current artist, pushing on, and still exploring the back catalogue.  Another 'album show', one we've seen already, is a backward step, regardless of the anniversary.

Getting emailed the 'official' reason kinda sucks and is mildly insulting, like 'sorry, got more important things to do, catch you next year'.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:59:59 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 06:04:56 AM »

Refraining from the justifiably smug "I told you", it will be instructive to see if the tour is rebooked in the same massively oversized venues next year.

AGD: smug

UK fans: disappointed

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 06:19:49 AM »

Some other thoughts: It didn’t take a concert industry expert or extra insight to see from the outset that booking *numerous* large arenas seemed like a stretch. I never saw a single person who contested the contention at the outset that the venues were too large (on top of the difficulty in filling such venues, I think most music fans prefer more intimate venues anyway). I think most fans in the UK, from my US observer point of view, seemed to just have a “meh, well, I hope they know what they’re doing; I’ll enjoy the show even if the place is ¾ empty” attitude. There’s really nobody (other than management and the promoter) to say “told you so" to; certainly no fans to say it to.

Also worth noting is that, while management and the artist would play a huge role in deciding to make these bookings, it may have been a promoter rather than Brian’s management that made the show offers, the guarantees, and/or called the tour off. From an artist point of view, half empty venues aren’t the greatest PR, but if a promoter offers an artist a minimum guarantee and the artist feels that’s enough money to do the gig even if the theoretical additional piece of actual overall sales is low, then the artist can do the gig and it’s the promoter that will lose their shirt on the thing.

Given the types of tours and venues Brian has done in the past, my total guess is that it was some promoter that put forward an offer for those UK dates rather than Brian’s management concocting the scenario from scratch. That doesn’t absolve management or the artist of making the decision to accept that offer, but my guess is some promoter thought they could package Brian with another band and make these big shows work. Maybe Brian isn’t up for extensive touring abroad and they saw it as a way to play to the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »

I don't actually recall Andrew telling us so in the first place, but anyway.

Had a repetitious mess of six emails from See Tickets.  First, they said the tickets will be valid for the rescheduled shows.  Then, later emails said the money paid for these shows will be refunded via the payment method used within 3-5 days.  Fine.  I'd rather re-book when the time comes, then I can pick my area and seat for the new venue.

Wasn't surprised by the news.  Was just waiting to hear it, really.  But it's still dismaying, largely because it would be cool to see the same tour that is happening in the US now with Al and Blondie.  I'd rather hear a long, mixed show with some NPP stuff and some surprise rarities.  That would be experiencing Brian as a current artist, pushing on, and still exploring the back catalogue.  Another 'album show', one we've seen already, is a backward step, regardless of the anniversary.

Getting emailed the 'official' reason kinda sucks and is mildly insulting, like 'sorry, got more important things to do, catch you next year'.

Andrew was one of many who expressed doubt over ticket sales - little reason to be smug about it, especially as he won't be getting to see the shows either. Most of those who thought it might be cancelled are considerate enough of the feeling of fellow fans, particularly those who lost money, to limit their comments to something more thoughtful.

I love Pet Sounds but I agree that it would have been wonderful to see something of Brian's current work. We've gone over past glories so often. It's beautiful music but it's a case of wanting to celebrate the now. And I can only agree that the reason given was mildly insulting. Someone likened it to someone turning your party invitation down by telling you they'd had a better offer. Maybe the reason given was a face saving exercise or an attempt to generate more publicity for the film, but even so, it could have been handled more tactfully,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:15:12 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »

It's a shame because everything was coming together. Brian had reunited with Beach Boys Blondie Chaplin, Al Jardine, and old friend Matt Jardine. There was a new album to promote. The setlist was very inclusive including some rarities. Brian appeared to be engaged and enjoying himself. There was an extensive article in Rolling Stone and the shows were receiving positive reviews. It's too bad Brian had to shut it down but, like Wirestone said, "It's the biz", and Brian put the business first. Did Al Jardine make a statement? I feel for the fans, but hopefully, next year they can experience that ^ same band and setlist and engaged Brian.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:14:04 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »

I have to admit that while reading the recent RS article, and sensing how much Brian just seemed to enjoy living (imagine that), and his comments to Fine about gearing up for a tour, my thought was that he really should retire and just enjoy his life. Maybe make a record when (if) he wants to.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »

Yes I remember and I also remember that you were told that we would blame you for the poor ticket sales having shaken the confidence of prospective concert goers - so I'm blaming you.  For your sake lets just hope that there is a tour next year.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »

Does anybody know roughly how many shows Brian would have to do over here to make the overhead costs back? Can't he relocate his UK tour to just a handfull of smaller venues or would the money simply not be worth it?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »

Yes I remember and I also remember that you were told that we would blame you for the poor ticket sales having shaken the confidence of prospective concert goers - so I'm blaming you.  For your sake lets just hope that there is a tour next year.

You can't blame Andrew for being right about something.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:32 AM »

UK or not, can we not complain about Brian Wilson, 50 years after Pet Sounds was created, touring and performing the whole thing?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »

Let us not forget that Brian is still only four shows into a 20-show tour that hasn’t been canceled. I feel for the UK fans, but this has less to do with any sort of tragic downfall for Brian, and more to do with just financial/scheduling stuff.

It’s also *possible* that Brian didn’t pull the plug, but rather the promoter(s) did. If the promoters cancel on you because you’re not selling enough tickets, what’s the better PR move? Let fans know *you* didn’t cancel, but the promoter did, and then have to admit slow sales? Or, take the hit yourself and avoid having to address the sales issue?

What will be interesting to see is what Brian will actually end up having lined up in September in the US. One show so far. Will there be a full additional leg? Or just a few shows? Or just the one?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »

Well what to say?  This is extremely disappointing.
Like many others I had scored good seats for the London show and already made travel arrangements to England from another country.

As others have said, the main motivations to see this tour were the NPP songs and especially Al & Blondie.
Sorry to say, and maybe it's blasphemous, but I don't have enough interest to travel 2000 miles and spend 2 grands to see yet another Pet Sounds show, after having seen at least 15 of them (including what they promised to be the "last Pet Sounds show in Europe ever" back in 2006).

Yes, seeing Brian in any setting should always be considered a blessing, but - eh - don't feel like this time.
If you told me back in 2001 that I'd feel this way one day I would call you insane.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »

We don't know what Brian will be playing on the 2016 tour. It can be the called the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary tour but not actually include a performance of the album. Maybe it'll be a PS set back to back with a Smile set, and then whatever else he wants to play.

Until the tour is specifically advertised as including a full performance of the album, don't get upset about the setlist. I'll be flying to the UK regardless of what Brian will be playing to travel around and see as many of the shows as I can.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

Yes, seeing Brian in any setting should always be considered a blessing, but - eh - don't feel like this time.
If you told me back in 2001 that I'd feel this way one day I would call you insane.

So basically, you've been spoiled.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »

Brian, I dare say, has milked Pet Sounds a little too much. Maybe a lot too much.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »

You can't blame Andrew for being right about something.

I'm not blaming him for being right - See my quote in red above.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2015, 10:21:02 AM »

I still fail to see how that's Andrew's fault to begin with.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

I don't know Andrew personally, but he must be pretty powerful to convince tens of thousands of people to not buy tickets because the tour was going to be canceled anyway.

I will echo southbay, after reading the Rolling Stone article and the anguish he feels ahead of the tour, I almost feel bad for him. It can't be about the money at this point, can it? I'm excited to see him in a little over a week, but the man deserves to retire at some point...
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »

Wait for the idiotic rumors of Andrew being on the Lovester's payroll to come back...

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:59 AM »

Brian, I dare say, has milked Pet Sounds a little too much. Maybe a lot too much.

What a stupid thing to say - though I guess it is only the greatest album ever made after all.

How many times in the last ten years - and I'll use facts - has Brian played Pet Sounds?

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html?song=That%27s+Not+Me
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html?song=Here+Today

Two songs he would only play doing the full album - 74 plays each.
34 times in 2000, 28 times in 2002 - these were Pet Sounds tours
7 times in 2006
3 times in 2007
2 times in 2013

So that's a total of 11 full performances of Pet Sounds in 10 years - I wasn't at any of the them.

But according to you he's "milking" Pet Sounds? Have a look at this and tell me what it really means to milk something:
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html?song=I+Get+Around

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »

I stand by the remark. The reason for a Brian Wilson concert was for him to play stuff that was uncommonly or never played by the Beach Boys in concert as well as his own stuff. He did Pet Sounds in full. He did Smile. I'd like to see Brian keep trying new things in concert, not another round of Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary or no 50th anniversary.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:22:59 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »

And the touring Beach Boys regularly perform the whole of Pet Sounds in concert?

News to me.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx