gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:08:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So why is MIU/Light Album out of print??  (Read 5728 times)
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2015, 01:53:37 AM »

Have all the 2fer1's apart from the aforementioned MIU/Light Album, was wondering why is it out of print and are there plans for Capitol to re-release it as I'd like to complete my collection.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 02:56:20 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-M-I-U-Album-L-A-Light-Album-2000/271888301828?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D34b2768a694f4a5eafc323ec2c053684%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291492288990&rt=nc
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:46 AM »

Good taste?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »

L.A. might not be Pet Sounds but it's a very cohesive album and (for my personal taste) it's a lot better than anything they released afterwards, even though TWGMTR did come close (probably).
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »

Pretty sure they just re-issued these on vinyl recently. I just saw brand new copies in a shop yesterday.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:03:40 AM »

I think Kook requested that Capitol pull them out of circulation.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »

I had to pay $50 for the double CD.  It was a tough find.  So was Summer In Paradise.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »

The BBs personally went to Capitol HQ one day and asked that the twofer be withdrawn on the grounds that they're not real albums, just contractally obligated hodegpodges of older material and rehashed solo cuts.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »

These albums will find their way back into print eventually.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »

<<The BBs personally went to Capitol HQ one day and asked that the twofer be withdrawn on the grounds that they're not real albums, just contractally obligated hodegpodges of older material and rehashed solo cuts>>

And because they didn't rock.  Except for Shortnin' Bread, which rocks.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »

L.A. might not be Pet Sounds but it's a very cohesive album and (for my personal taste) it's a lot better than anything they released afterwards, even though TWGMTR did come close (probably).

Seriously? I'm not TWGMTR's biggest fan, but there are four substantial BW songs on there and while I like LA, there are, maybe three good  songs on it - two by DW and one by Carl.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »

Agreed. TWGMTR is good...but it's not great. LA was the last great album. The last time they really pulled the magic out and made the effort.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »

Out of print? I think I've just been f----d!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »

Since the 2-fer for MIU/LA has no bonus tracks, you could always consider purchasing the individual CDs issued in Japan and probably some other territories as well.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 03:25:24 AM »

Since the 2-fer for MIU/LA has no bonus tracks, you could always consider purchasing the individual CDs issued in Japan and probably some other territories as well.

Yea that's a possibility. Not sure what the mastering is like for those though as I assume the other 2fers are digitally re-mastered, although sometimes that can be a bad thing anyway, as some mixers idea of 'remaster' is 'brickwalling'  Roll Eyes Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »

Yea that's a possibility. Not sure what the mastering is like for those though as I assume the other 2fers are digitally re-mastered, although sometimes that can be a bad thing anyway, as some mixers idea of 'remaster' is 'brickwalling'  Roll Eyes Grin
The only Beach Boys CD that I know of that is close to brickwalled is Sounds of Summer. The 2-fers are bright so they can highlight the vocals, but none are brickwalled.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »

Seriously? I'm not TWGMTR's biggest fan, but there are four substantial BW songs on there and while I like LA, there are, maybe three good  songs on it - two by DW and one by Carl.

Totally serious about it. On L.A. I count two classics (Good Timin', Baby Blue) and several songs that range from pleasant (Sumahama, Shortenin' Bread) to good (Going South, Lady Lynda, Full Sail) to very good (Angel Come Home, Love Surrounds Me). I really like its overall melancholy mood and both Dennis and Carl are very present throughout. Brian's lack of participation is kind of a bummer, though his one song here, Good Timin', is one of my favourite BB songs period. I never seem to get tired of that song. TWGMTR, on the other hand, has its fair share of great moments but to me it's just not the same. As a whole, it's not quite as original, not quite as touching, etc. Absolutely love Pacific Coast Highway, though.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »

I've never gone off a record as fast as I did TWGMTR.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »

TWGMTR is like BWPS for me. I liked it a LOT at the time due to the hullabaloo surrounding its release...as time goes on, I like it less and less. TWGMTR is on the level of the self-titled album for me.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »

The 2-fers are bright so they can highlight the vocals ...

Dr BB - Just curious if Mark Linett (or Alan Boyd) has stated that the 2-fers are bright so they can highlight the vocals, or if this is a presumption on your (or someone else's) part.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »

The 2-fers are bright so they can highlight the vocals ...

Dr BB - Just curious if Mark Linett (or Alan Boyd) has stated that the 2-fers are bright so they can highlight the vocals, or if this is a presumption on your (or someone else's) part.
Presumption on my part. To my ears that is the biggest difference from either the 1990 2-fers and the original albums (old Capitol and the new AP releases).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:22:57 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »

I know. When I found this out about 4 months ago, I purchased extra copies of 15BO/Love You and KTSA/BB85 from Amazon. And the only copies of KTSA/BB85 Amazon had were UK pressings. They had no MIU/LA copies. I already had extras of Sunflower/SU , CATPST/Holland and Concert.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »

cmon...the light album is NOT good album, and made no mark whatsoever in the world of rock and offered nothing memorable to the BBs output. Yeah dennis's cuts from bambu are its saving grace, baby blue is a very pretty song....now MIU isn't all bad; half of it is utter garbage BUT the fast songs are fun- pitter patter and shes got rhythm are rockin, their renditions of come go w me & peggy sue (15bO) are solid and the remake of hawaii (kona coast) is fun ,lame but fun. Even though a third of MIU is re-records and/or year old cuts Id rather jam it instead of the BBs parodying themselves while attempting disco (here comes the night) yknow¿
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »

cmon...the light album is NOT good album, and made no mark whatsoever in the world of rock and offered nothing memorable to the BBs output. Yeah dennis's cuts from bambu are its saving grace, baby blue is a very pretty song....now MIU isn't all bad; half of it is utter garbage BUT the fast songs are fun- pitter patter and shes got rhythm are rockin, their renditions of come go w me & peggy sue (15bO) are solid and the remake of hawaii (kona coast) is fun ,lame but fun. Even though a third of MIU is re-records and/or year old cuts Id rather jam it instead of the BBs parodying themselves while attempting disco (here comes the night) yknow¿

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 07:23:03 AM »

Why so caught up "in the world of rock"? Who cares? Nothing the band released after Pet Sounds made a mark in the world of rock. For better or worse their canon of work is their legacy and should be available. Don't be so caught up in re-records or year old cuts. Almost every Beach Boys album has both, even the beloved Pet Sounds. One last thing, how does one parody themselves with something that was their first try at it? You can only parody yourself with something that you already have done. I know it is all opinion, but you come off has wanting to convince everyone that you are opinions are pertinent. I don't think you are succeeding very well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,