gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:59:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: River Song question  (Read 5944 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

I wonder from what album boot that YouTube demo is from? Nothing that I have heard over the years sounds nearly as good.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »

Here's what my copy sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/bud_shaver/river-song-early-version
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:33 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the BBs could have seen fit to give "River Song" a life in context of the band, even with Endless Summer in play to bring back their classic period, they might well have bridged the gap and been able to have it both ways. In 1974, this song had a chance to make it big as a BB song. The band could ROCK, folks!!

Presumably this was part of the main plan Dennis wanted to get back to...
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 07:19:17 AM »

I totally agree- It appears Dennis would have preferred the piano heavy version, but this guitar mix- man, with a real lead vocal and the BB's backing...really cool.  It almost doesn't need vocals at the end, the way the piano trails off.  Maybe it wouldn't have 'saved' the bands progressive fortunes back then, but who knows.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »

Thanks, Bud! Sounds great, I like the clean-ups in your track.

It was a fateful moment in the band's history, fo' sho'. But I could see the kids who bought ENDLESS SUMMER connecting the dots to a "grown-up" band kicking ass with a song that was still within striking distance of the classic themes that also catered to the 70s desire to "kick out the jams." But the ongoing problem of taking Dennis seriously (something that Dennis certainly didn't help ameliorate, either...) clearly took its toll.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:47 AM »

It's a great song but for me the rock version posted in this thread is almost "too 70s".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »

It's a great song but for me the rock version posted in this thread is almost "too 70s".

I kinda like the live arrangement (from '73) - with glockenspiel, wild guitar solo to close it, and Blondie's lead vocal. Of course, that version left out the bridge (or at least left out the vocals in the bridge). I guess you can't have everything!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx