gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:09:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: River Song question  (Read 5962 times)
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »

"River Song" is one of my favorite pieces by Dennis.  I recently found a BB bootleg that contained a live version of the song from 1973.  It sounds like Blondie singing lead.  Can anyone confirm this or know anything about it?

Thanks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »

"River Song" is one of my favorite pieces by Dennis.  I recently found a BB bootleg that contained a live version of the song from 1973.  It sounds like Blondie singing lead.  Can anyone confirm this or know anything about it?

Thanks.

Yup - it was played live at several shows in 1973, and there was a TV clip of the band recording it in the studio. I believe this is said version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:25:18 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »

"River Song" is one of my favorite pieces by Dennis.  I recently found a BB bootleg that contained a live version of the song from 1973.  It sounds like Blondie singing lead.  Can anyone confirm this or know anything about it?

Thanks.

Yup - it was played live at several shows in 1973, and there was a TV clip of the band recording it in the studio. I believe this is said version:

Is it Blondie? Sounds like Dennis to me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

I think we can all agree that a cleaned up version of this needs to offically see the light of day.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »

What an utterly awesome version.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »

Well, the song was played in Uniondale in August of 1973. The gig was also recorded for the In Concert album. Maybe one day...

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »

[/quote]

Live in '73 it was sung by Blondie, but this early studio version was sung by Dennis, yes.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »

Thanks.

The live version sounds a lot like Blondie to me.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »

Well, the song was played in Uniondale in August of 1973. The gig was also recorded for the In Concert album. Maybe one day...

I would love for good quality recordings of some of those concerts to be officially released and include songs like "River Song".  I also like "Here She Comes" but the only live version I could find is from Boston and the quality is bad.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »

I saw it live at the soundcheck, late 1973-early 1974, Emporia Kansas State Teachers College.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »

I saw it live at the soundcheck, late 1973-early 1974, Emporia Kansas State Teachers College.

Was Blondie singing it? That means it would've had to have been before the end of December 1973.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »

From Ian/AGD's concert listings:  November  9 (1973)  - William L White Auditorium, Emporia, KS

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »

Wow, a rare faux pas from the lips of AGD...  while there is at least one live version of Blondie singing lead floating around, what Andrew posted is most definitely Dennis.  This is the somewhat 'legendary' mix that I did with Earle Mankey, pretty much the very first time I ever took the helm of Brother's 24 track.
I'm hesitant to retell the story right away, because I remember reading myself telling it here not that long ago.  The post was from several years ago, but someone revived the thread a while back.  If it doesn't appear here soon, I'll go ahead & tell it again.  It's one of those stories so ingrained in me, I imagaine I'd tell it almost verbatim.  However, I'll hope it just pops up soon
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9303.0.html

This was the thread if I remember correctly.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

Son of a gun that was quick!  And funny enough, I just held that tv news video segment in my hands the other day....  Transfer, indeed, and what has it been now?  Another 5 years???  Ah, but there are many gems still waiting to be either seen or heard in the Roach-clip archive...

https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »

Son of a gun that was quick!  And funny enough, I just held that tv news video segment in my hands the other day....  Transfer, indeed, and what has it been now?  Another 5 years???  Ah, but there are many gems still waiting to be either seen or heard in the Roach-clip archive...

https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68

Bring 'em on, I say!!  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »

Wow, a rare faux pas from the lips of AGD...  while there is at least one live version of Blondie singing lead floating around, what Andrew posted is most definitely Dennis.  This is the somewhat 'legendary' mix that I did with Earle Mankey, pretty much the very first time I ever took the helm of Brother's 24 track.

Nope - I didn't mention it was DW on the studio clip because I figured it wasn't necessary to state the obvious.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 04:13:29 AM »

The guitar is more prominent in this mix. It would have been interesting to hear a Beach Boys version with that guitar and the guys singing instead of the choir sound for backing vocals.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 04:20:10 AM »

I'd just like to add that even after all these years, this board is still a revelation to me Smiley

Ed, Jon, Adam, c-man and Andrew are all incredibly valuable posters here.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »

Nope - I didn't mention it was DW on the studio clip because I figured it wasn't necessary to state the obvious.  Grin
Well, it wasn't obvious which version we were discussing. One person talking about Blondie singing lead and then discussing a clip, and next you posting a clip that had Dennis singing lead. A bit confusing to say the least.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »

Was Blondie singing it? That means it would've had to have been before the end of December 1973.
Sorry for the delay. It was Dennis and he was vibrant.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »

I've almost certainly mentioned it here before, but man, what a great mix Roach/Mankey pulled off there.

It's glorious!  Those warm, crunchy guitars give the number just the right kind of raunchy swagger.   Afro

So, this mix has never received the kind of official release treatment that it deserves?  If not, why not?  And when (if ever) can we expect it?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

"River Song" is one of my favorite pieces by Dennis.  I recently found a BB bootleg that contained a live version of the song from 1973.  It sounds like Blondie singing lead.  Can anyone confirm this or know anything about it?
Thanks.

That was excellent! Thank you.

A real Dennis video would be fantastic.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if the BBs could have seen fit to give "River Song" a life in context of the band, even with Endless Summer in play to bring back their classic period, they might well have bridged the gap and been able to have it both ways. In 1974, this song had a chance to make it big as a BB song. The band could ROCK, folks!!
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »

This mix of River Song really kicks ass.. Love the prominent guitar!  I might even like it better than the released version.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx