gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:22:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bacharach & Wilson  (Read 13564 times)
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:15:23 PM »

http://www.masslive.com/living/republican/index.ssf?/base/living-1/115113565898160.xml&coll=1&thispage=1e

"I've just written with Brian Wilson, and all I know is they're damn good songs," Bacharach said about his new body of work.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »

Holy Cow!  Grin

These two should definitely collaborate. It'd probably be better than any other solo work Brian's done. Guaranteed not to be completely shitty.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 06:02:17 PM »

i've been sayin that they should collaborate for a long time...it's like we get the bacharach-esq stuff with she says that she needs me, guess i'm dumb, let him run wild...but if this is real, i'm gonna have to change my pants

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

!!! YES !!!

Amazing news, I wonder why so few people are responding to this. There are a couple of questions that come to my mind:

- are these songs meant for Brian's upcoming rock'n'roll-album?

- Burt and rock'n'roll?!?

- Who wrote the lyrics?

- How did the writing-process work? (I mean: did Brian wrote a verse or bridge and Burt added a chorus; Brian wrote the songs and Burt did the arrangements etc etc )

Imo, this is about the most exciting news in recent BB/BW-times.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »

This is great news...I bet they both just sat at the piano and jammed...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 05:15:59 PM »

!!! YES !!!

Amazing news, I wonder why so few people are responding to this. There are a couple of questions that come to my mind:

- are these songs meant for Brian's upcoming rock'n'roll-album?

- Burt and rock'n'roll?!?

- Who wrote the lyrics?

- How did the writing-process work? (I mean: did Brian wrote a verse or bridge and Burt added a chorus; Brian wrote the songs and Burt did the arrangements etc etc )

Imo, this is about the most exciting news in recent BB/BW-times.

I absolutely agree with JRauch. "Damn good songs". WHAT SONGS! Why is this kept so quiet? This is Brian Wilson AND Burt Bacharach collaborating! Does anybody know anything?
SG7
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:43:54 PM »

This better be good. The last thing I want is another GIOMH and using songs that were 15 +  Roll Eyes
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:56:24 PM »

This better be good. The last thing I want is another GIOMH and using songs that were 15 +  Roll Eyes

It can't be another GIOMH. We're not talking about Andy Paley, Steve Kalinich, or Sweet Insanity stuff. THIS IS BURT BACHARACH! He would never lower himself to GIOMH standards. And they just wrote the songs; they're new?!

I need more on this. Please don't let Brian ruin these songs with his singing. Call the other guys (Mike, Al, Bruce) now!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »

Maybe the Bacharach and Wilson songs could be used for the next Beach Boys album? Maybe Bacharach is going to fill the shoes of Gary Usher and Roger Christian and become Brian's next songwriting partner.

I'm allowed to dream, right? Bow

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 03:35:12 AM »

Just to make it sure: are these songs for Brian's upcoming album or for Burt's? The line "...and all I know is they're damn good songs" makes me believe it´s the first one. And that would mean that these songs are for the famous "rock'n'roll-album". But would be Burt the right guy for that kind of music? And didn´t Van Dyke mention some weeks ago that he was called by Brian for some songwriting? So is it actually Brian AND Burt AND Van Dyke?!?

Man, I have the feeling that this will be something BIG.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »

An interview with Brian in which he says he's been writing with Burt Bacharach and "we're going to do some recording".  He also says he wouldn't be opposed to doing studio work with the Beach Boys, "if it is OK with all of the managers."  All very intriguing...

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=WILSON-MUSIC-06-29-06

Courtesy of a poster on the blueboard.

Questions and answers with Brian Wilson

By JERRY FINK
Las Vegas Sun
29-JUN-06

Brian Wilson celebrated his 64th birthday last week, a couple of days after Paul McCartney. The former Beach Boy and former Beatle _ icons of the '60s youth culture _ are aging, but their music appears to be ageless.

McCartney cited "Pet Sounds" _ the legendary 1966 Beach Boys album composed, arranged and produced by Wilson _ as the inspiration for the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Wilson founded the Beach Boys along with his brothers Carl and Dennis, cousin Mike Love and school friend Al Jardine in 1961. They created the "surf sound" and some of the most memorable songs of the decade _ "Good Vibrations," "Surfin' USA," "Fun, Fun, Fun," "I Get Around," "Help Me Rhonda" and "California Girls."

Then life fell apart for the musical genius.

He left the Beach Boys in the mid-'70s, plagued by mental illness and drug abuse. He became estranged from his daughters from his first marriage, Carnie and Wendy.

He and his daughters mended fences in 1997 and released an album "The Wilsons." He remarried in 1995, and the couple adopted two daughters and a son.

He even dug back into the archives and completed the 1967 Beach Boys' album "Smile," which he finally released two years ago. But Love sued Wilson over the album and other issues.

Wilson talked about his life these days during a recent phone interview from his Southern California home:

Q: How are you?

A: I feel unbelievably well. I go on a five-mile walk every morning, then work at my piano. Then I play with my kids for a while, and go back to the piano. Then I have dinner and work at the piano some more.

Q: Are you performing at more concerts these days?

A: Not really. I don't go on the road too often, just every few months.

Q: What can fans expect at a concert?

A: Beach Boys hits. Mostly Beach Boys hits, but also some of my new songs.

Q: Your music has endured for decades. What do you attribute that to?

A: I can only accredit it to good harmonies and good melodies that have brought a lot of joy into the lives of a lot of people.

Q: The music world has changed dramatically since the '60s. Do you think it's for the better, or worse?

A: I don't like what's happening in music at all. I'm disappointed in the condition the music business is in now.

Q: Do you think it will ever turn around?

A: It will get worse to the point where someone records a record that is so great everyone will just flip over it. Then things will get better.

Q: How do you keep busy these days?

A: I'm working, always working on my music.

Q: And how is the music going?

A: Things are going pretty fast. I'm writing all these songs, and I hope to do some recording this year. Lately I've been writing with Burt Bacharach. We're going to do some recording.

Q: You've had some legal issues with Mike Love. Have they been resolved?

A: We had a meeting recently. Things have gotten a little bit better between us. We discussed business, but I don't know what's going to happen.

Q: Do you ever foresee rejoining the Beach Boys?

A: I would not be opposed to recording again with the Beach Boys, if it is OK with all of the managers. I might consider some studio work _ that would be very exciting.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 07:32:05 PM »

This "all the managers" line. If these guys want this to happen then it has to be done like a business and that is one person in charge. Each member can have their wife or handler on the side but each faction having a so called manager with equal power is a disaster waiting to happen.
I say call in a hardass anti-bs muso nazi from outside BB land. Evil

Any ideas?

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »

Just to make it sure: are these songs for Brian's upcoming album or for Burt's? The line "...and all I know is they're damn good songs" makes me believe it´s the first one. And that would mean that these songs are for the famous "rock'n'roll-album". But would be Burt the right guy for that kind of music? And didn´t Van Dyke mention some weeks ago that he was called by Brian for some songwriting? So is it actually Brian AND Burt AND Van Dyke?!?

Man, I have the feeling that this will be something BIG.

Note that it said: ""I've just written with Brian Wilson, and all I know is they're damn good songs," Bacharach said about his new body of work."

So I'm guessing that it's for something Bacharach is doing, but who knows. I'm excited about it. And thanks for posting that Les, that's even better news about Brian wanting to record with the Beach Boys again. What would make a new "Beach Boys" recording even better is to have the surviving members of the wrecking crew, with members from Brian's band.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:36:34 PM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 07:43:57 PM »

Brian's comments on the music business are great. I wonder if he was speaking about himself saying that someone will release a song so great that everyone will flip for it?

On the Bacharach thing -- I wonder if there was any ego clashing at all between the two giants?

No doubt great things are coming from these two songwriters. Pretty exciting.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 07:54:05 PM »

This BW/Burt Bacharach  (did you notice his initials are BB - it's fate!) collaboration has me a little excited. So I checked out a Bacharach website, complete with forum, and there was a short thread about BW/BB, but with no new info.

Anyway, guess who was one of the posters on the thread? PUNKINHEAD!

I love his enthusiasm!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

Don't be fooled!

It was merely Punkinhead's arch-enemy. He uses the same name to create mass confusion in his true followers as we are. The real "PH" will be here soon to straighten out the mess.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 08:10:20 PM »

Don't be fooled!

It was merely Punkinhead's arch-enemy. He uses the same name to create mass confusion in his true followers as we are. The real "PH" will be here soon to straighten out the mess.

You might be right. The post was a bit too conservative to be from the REAL Punkinhead!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:26 PM »

well, i wanted to make a good first impression...like i was smart or something...

if i was really motivated...i'd make a new user name of the REAL punkinhead...but then again i just reached 600 posts...and i'm dern proud...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »

you dont think im conservitive?    Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 07:43:59 PM »

you dont think im conservitive? 

No, I don't! You've achieved Beach Boys P.H.D. status in record-breaking time! I'm just a Smiley Smile Associate, a mere peon.

I expect you to go on that Burt Bacharach message board and make us proud. Keep digging until you get the answers. What's going on with Brian and Burt? I know you can do it, because you had the guts to admit that you dance to "Matchpoint Of Our Love"...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 11:21:04 PM »

awesome or to have an idea of writing an 'almost Famous' meets Holland short story

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 05:43:19 AM »

Does anyone here have bought (and liked) Painted from Memory (1998) and At This Time (2005)? YAWN.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 05:56:24 AM »

awesome or to have an idea of writing an 'almost Famous' meets Holland short story

can you imagine if a fan was invited to goto holland to write an article of the whole recording process? that would be quite the experience!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 05:59:31 AM »

can you imagine if a fan was invited to goto holland to write an article of the whole recording process? that would be quite the experience!

BTW I love this movie and just bought it on DVD. One thing tatalways comes up to me is that the guitar player looks quite like Bruce in the early 70s. I also like that Beach Boys-vibe (Pet Sounds, Feel Flows)

But that's OT, sorry

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 07:17:37 AM »

Does anyone here have bought (and liked) Painted from Memory (1998) and At This Time (2005)? YAWN.
Your point is well taken. I haven't heard those albums; I'm just familiar with Bacharach's hits.

I suppose Burt Bacharach fans could be saying the same thing about Imagination, GIOMH, and All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.

I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic. I mean, you gotta admit, the potential of collaborating with Burt Bacharach is better than Joe Thomas, Andy Paley, Steve Kalinich, and the guy from Ambrosia. Although it hasn't happened for a long time, don't you get the feeling that maybe Brian could actually be motivated or inspired by working with someone of Bacharach's caliber. Or maybe not...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx