gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke is... weird  (Read 8887 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »

Send him the naked pictures. Not only will be discuss Smile, but he'll take you to dinner. Van Dyke is a little funny that way.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »

Well, OK, what should I say back to him then?

Say, "Thank you for asking" and tell him about yourself.  Get him on your good side, and then you can figure out how to get him to remember things he likely doesn't remember from there. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »

Send him the naked pictures. Not only will be discuss Smile, but he'll take you to dinner. Van Dyke is a little funny that way.

Bit of a one-track mind. Two posts, same joke. We get it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »

There's an old story about a sultan who made a drunken beggar think he was sultan for a day, then restored him to the alley the next day, then again made him sultan.  The actual sultan was laughing his head off in a closet, the beggar thought closet possessed a demon and proceeded to stab the closet.  The moral is, "Never tell the same joke twice."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »

The moral of that story should be don't mess with a drunk that has a knife! LOL

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »

what'd you ask him?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 08:49:47 PM »

Shocked Van Dyke is hot!  In a poetic way.  Wink

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
MBE
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »

Van Dyke is a bit odd but pretty creative.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2006, 09:50:40 PM »

It was pretty funny the second time. No...it was A LOT more funny.  Grin

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 01:24:36 AM »

Well, OK, what should I say back to him then?

Let's see .....  you were lucky enough that VDP responded to your correspondence.  He didn't say none of your business.  He didn't say he would never say, and he did give you an opening for a dialog.  And you are a SMILE/BB fan.
Well if it was me I would respond and tell him a little about myself.  I likely would include something about  how I got interested in his work and perhaps what I liked best about it.   Even if he was dissing you (which I tend to doubt) I suspect he will respond if you are sincere.  To me it sounds like he is saying he would like to get something out of the conversation too, and I find that to be a very reasonable thing.     
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 02:55:41 AM »

Like the last suggestion. If someone I'd never heard of emailed me out of the blue I might want to know a little bit about them too.  Must be frustrating when the world knows who you are and everything (they imagine) about you, and folk strike up conversations or email communications like they were old pals!  Be NEW pals!

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 03:32:11 AM »

Favorite Van Dyke quote "I met a Beatle or two, the individuals. They are handsome but they are transcontinental and I can't get behind that. 1976
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 06:47:35 AM »

that's a great quote...i remember hearing him say that in the American Family Movie

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »

Another good quote is him on the 1976 special (Good Vibrations tour DVD) talking about Dennis: "He's got a lotta meat"
Not really sure what he means, but i'll probably agree anyway.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 10:29:29 AM »

Shortly after Orange Crate Art came out, I e-mailed VDP at the address in the liner notes...

First, I disclaimed I wasn't going to mention Smile because he's probably sick of people talking to him about it.

Second, I asked him if any of Song Cycle was influenced by "Mind Gardens" by The Byrds [except I accidentally wrote "Mind Games"], as many of the songs sound like "Mind Gardens" in both melody and vocal delivery, and

Third and last, if there's any way I could get an autograph from him (on anything -- bar napkin, tree bark, WHATEVER) that says "Save The Prairie Squid."

he replied, in all capital letters,

1) Yes, he was sick of people talking to him about Smile, especially as it was such a short and small period of his life.

2) No, Song Cycle wasn't influenced in any way by "Mind Gardens," and

3) two weeks later there was a tube in the mail from Warner Brothers with a 17 x 24 poster of the Orange Crate Art album cover, complete with VDP's "Save The Prairie Squid" autograph and his self-portrait. I'm STILL kicking myself for not thinking of bringing that thing to Brian's 1998 meet'n'greet; I could have had both their autographs on that thing....arrghhhh...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2006, 10:48:26 AM »

Shortly after Orange Crate Art came out, I e-mailed VDP at the address in the liner notes...

First, I disclaimed I wasn't going to mention Smile because he's probably sick of people talking to him about it.

Second, I asked him if any of Song Cycle was influenced by "Mind Gardens" by The Byrds [except I accidentally wrote "Mind Games"], as many of the songs sound like "Mind Gardens" in both melody and vocal delivery, and

Third and last, if there's any way I could get an autograph from him (on anything -- bar napkin, tree bark, WHATEVER) that says "Save The Prairie Squid."

1) Yes, he was sick of people talking to him about Smile, especially as it was such a short and small period of his life.

2) No, Song Cycle wasn't influenced in any way by "Mind Gardens," and

3) two weeks later there was a tube in the mail from Warner Brothers with a 17 x 24 poster of the Orange Crate Art album cover, complete with VDP's "Save The Prairie Squid" autograph and his self-portrait. I'm STILL kicking myself for not thinking of bringing that thing to Brian's 1998 meet'n'greet; I could have had both their autographs on that thing....arrghhhh...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:25:01 AM by Jeff Mason » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »

I know this is a logical answer, and on the surface makes perfect sense - but I don't believe him.
SG7
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 05:42:55 PM »

I think in a way he likes the attention. I mean without smile how else would BB/BW fans talk about him  Roll Eyes
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »

Why be in show business if you don't like attention?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 07:53:30 PM »

I don't think he dislikes the attention. Van Dyke seems like a big ham. I think anyone would get tired talking about the same merda over and over and over again for forty years. Especially since he spent less than a year working on Smile.

MBE
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 08:56:24 PM »

Well look at it this way, Brian and Van Dyke probably get asked about Smile everytime they are interviewed or meet fans. I think (especally) before 2004 it was vexing. I mean it's like The Beatles being asked when are you getting back together. That's why Brian said the tapes were junked. I am sure that while Smile may have been their creative peak, it was also not  their happiest periods personally. I think the Brian of Friends and the Van Dyke of Song Cycle were probably much happier people which is why questions about things like that get more respectful answers from them.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 07:33:30 AM »

Yeah, I think that's a lot of it.  I hinted in an earlier reply, too, that I think part of the problem is that Van Dyke and Brian don't remember a ton of the stuff that people WANT them to remember about SMiLE.  Van Dyke (and of course Brian) have had a long life of recording music; to them it's their job, they do it all the time, it'd be the equivalent of asking Clint Eastwood "Hey, in Dirty Harry, it says on the production notes that you were in the backlot at Warner Bros. filming that in early February; What color was the original costume you were going to wear that day that was accidentally lost by wardrobe?" or some crap like that, how the hell are they supposed to know? 

I think usually VDP or Brian will talk about large themes of the sessions but people usually try to ask them either bland questions that they can just whisk away with any old answer, or extremely pedantic stuff that as lifelong musicians they probably simply don't remember about a certain recording session. 
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 02:47:58 PM »

Maybe if you ask the right question...don't know what that would be, but there aren't that many, even in rock journalism, who have that particular knack. 
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 03:29:07 PM »

HeftySums is friends with V.D.P's son.

V.D.P seems like a nice man who tends to feel a bit superior with the average simpleton every so often throughout his days. It's expected though for a person of such talent and intellect like he has. V.D.P was born about one hunded and fifty years late though; travelling through the 1800's with a large moustache seems to suit his person moreso than a 1960's and onward hipster musician and writer.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx