gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:44:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: back to mono  (Read 8792 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »

could you guys tell me what you like about the boxed set? i'm thinkin of buyin it really soon

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:55:27 PM »

As someone who knew some of but didn't have much of the material, for me it's wonderful.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SG7
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

PM me  Pumpkinhead
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:37:44 AM »

Back to Mono is an awesome box set.
Apart from all the hits you get:

Strange Love- Darlene Love
This Could Be The Night- The Modern Folk Quartet
He Hit Me and it felt like a kiss-The Crystals

The sound quality is not 10/10 on it though. It could do with a remastering job. It lacks a bit something compared to the original records.

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:52:55 AM »

Aside from the unbelievable music contained within those 4 discs, I love the Back To Mono button that comes with it.  I did however feel that the booklet could have been a bit more informative.  Well worth the money!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 10:04:10 AM »

yeah, i dont know if we'll see the light of day on this being remastered with spector's troubles right now...they definatly need a sessions boxed set...highly doubt we'll ever see it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »

I love the Back to Mono boxset. I have almost all the songs and the christmas album in iTunes, and I listen to it every day. Wall of Sound pop bliss. So powerful, magnificent and beautiful. So much passion.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »

I really like back to mono.  It could use some work but it is mostly ok.  The original recordings were all "in the red"  but that is just part of the wall of sound.

It is a must have set IMO.  A sessions box would be nice.

There are some unreleased cuts on there that are to die for.  One of my favorite prev unreleased cuts  was Chapel of Love performed by Darlene Love and the Wrecking Crew.
Done to a Stroll dance beat.  How perfect is that?  (strolling down the isle, get it?)

The song has a thousand percent more soul than the Dixie Cups watered down cover.

The Righteous Brother material is dynamite. 

In fact, its ALL GOOD.

Buy it.  And listen to it in your car.  Real loud!
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »

i dont know if we'll see the light of day on this being remastered with spector's troubles right now.

Are you kidding me?  The resulting bump in Spector interest has improved the possibility.  Only death can help an artists reputation like sordid crime.   For example murder and death was a 'shot in the arm' for Sid Vicious' career!  Did you think that record company execs were moralists.  If they are, it is a new phenomenon.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:00:27 AM by mikee » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »

The Back To Mono boxset was listed on Rolling Stone Magazines 500 Greatest Albums list. I forgot the ranking, but they included number of sales for each record listed, and the Back To Mono boxset only sold 60,000 copies. And that's over a 12 or 15 year period. So maybe there isn't enough of an audience for Spector to warrant a remaster.

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »

the Back To Mono boxset only sold 60,000 copies. And that's over a 12 or 15 year period. So maybe there isn't enough of an audience for Spector to warrant a remaster.

Interest will pick up when the trial and aftermath media coverage commences (currently scheduled to start next January).  I would be very surprised if a new Spector package isn't being considered and prepared now, for release in that time period .   There is not much coverage of this case right now but when the trial happens the media will massively rachet up coverage.       
JukeboxTim
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »

amazon.com has the box for $15: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003BDM/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-8183722-3451915?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »

I'm pissed off now. Two years ago I paid over 60 bucks for my copy!  Wall

What the hell is going on!?!?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 05:39:27 AM »

I went to 4 stores last night trying to find Phil Spector's Christmas Album.  I couldn't find it.  I went home and found the whole friekin' album is on THIS boxset, for 15 bucks! I couldn't believe it was so cheap with all those great tracks on it.  Needless to say, I have it coming my way, and that's pretty cool I basically get the Christmas album for free, plus a great collection of Spector's greatest songs.  Unbelievable value on a boxset. 
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 02:41:47 AM »

That's a great buy, but what I really want is "Back To Mono" remastered in stereo!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 07:24:29 PM »

That's a great buy, but what I really want is "Back To Mono" remastered in stereo!

Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:13:50 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »

I understand the desire to listen to these things in stereo.  Everybody expects a revelation like Pet Sounds or something.  But the stereo mixes that have been leaked out on bootlegs are awful.  The way Spector recorded: one track for the main track, one for strings, another for vocals.  The only way these things work is in mono.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 01:13:28 AM »

I understand the desire to listen to these things in stereo.  Everybody expects a revelation like Pet Sounds or something.

Not "everybody".  No revelation. I hoped for just about what came out with the stereo Pet Sounds , and I prefer it over mono.  It's closer to what those present in the sessions heard.  Live group music is not in mono.  For me stereo adds a lot of the dimension and life that exists in real time.  Mono is ok but I think it is artificial;  a homogenization of  collective effort.    I view and hear the work of a musical group as something where there are seperate and distinct  individual efforts and a common goal -  the song.  A producer with early Spector's philosophy really seeks, for the most part, to erradicate individual performance by building the 'Wall-of-sound'.  It's an interesting technique.  I have no quarrel with those who want to listen in mono.  Many receivers are equipped with a mono button.  But I prefer hearing both the individual and collective and I think stereo seperation helps achieve that. 

By the way even vintage period Spector productions were not exclusively mono.  For example I have listened to some of his released Righteous Brothers productions in stereo. 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:31:45 AM by mikee » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »

If you wish the Phil Spector calatog was in stereo then you really don't get it and don't deserve to have ears. Clearly you have no taste.

Swine.

Unnecessary and unacceptable. Please check your attitude before posting on this board.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 01:28:44 AM »

I understand the desire to listen to these things in stereo.  Everybody expects a revelation like Pet Sounds or something.

Not "everybody".  No revelation. I hoped for just about what came out with the stereo Pet Sounds , and I prefer it over mono.  It's closer to what those present in the sessions heard.  Live group music is not in mono.  For me stereo adds a lot of the dimension and life that exists in real time.  Mono is ok but I think it is artificial;  a homogenization of  collective effort.
Didn't mean to generalize, I have a habit.  I agree with you about Pet Sounds.  For me there's simply too much "there" there to be reduced to only one track.  While I love both mixes about the same, I can hear the instrumentation and harmonies much better with the stereo mix.  But the substantial amount of tracks Brian used during the production of Pet Sounds, sometimes up to 11 per song, are what led to the creation of this stereo mix.  Since Spector recorded with very few tracks, with no overlap between them, any stereo image created sounds forced and is distracting, and isn't complimentary to the music, IMO.  There's a reason why an official stereo catalog hasn't been made, and why the box set is called "Back To Mono".  Unless you can time travel back to 1963 and hand Spector a 4 or 8 track recorder, they'll probably always be only on bootleg.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 11:00:37 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:35:28 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:35:13 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 03:06:56 PM »

I bought this boxset couple days ago. It's pretty cool even though I think it doesn't sound as good as it should cd wise. The first disc wasn't that great but it was ok, and it was also cool to hear spectors early work!  Now I have something else to do on friday nights besides listening to smile, alone in my flat :D
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »

Maybe if the Beatles eventually release a Capitol Albums Volume 4 or something we'll get Spector's production of Let It Be in stereo..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »

this box set sounds like crap.  the best thing about it is the button and christmas disc.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx