gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:23:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The solid LPs vs the gap bridgers.  (Read 9828 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

Today had no filler. The radio interview at the end I guess, but that was more of an epilogue. It's unintrusive and harmless. Then SD saw a return to the filler in a big way. So it's not anachronistic, it's indicitive of a regression after a previous breakthrough

Today and Summer Days aren't full of filler by any means.

Sheesh, I'd love to know what versions of these albums you guys are all listening to. Friends without Little Bird is a weak LP? sh*t.

I specifically said Today had no filler unless you count the interview snippet at the end, which doesnt bother me. But SD definitely has filler. Im Bugged at My Old Man, a rehash of Rhonda and weird subpar experiments like Amusement Parks USA. It has some real gems too, but overall it doesnt coalesce into a really great, cohesive LP the same way Today and Pet Sounds do. It came out very quickly after Today, was a big step down from that, and in no way a natural evolutionary link between that and PS. It's a valley between two peaks. A stop gap if ever there was one. That doesnt mean its terrible or you shouldnt like it, but call it what it is.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

A valley between two peaks? Meaning...between Today and Party? I don't know about that. And Help Me Rhonda, a number one hit and a classic production, is FILLER? The productions were only improving; Brian was honing his craft to a level even better than what he achieved on Today. Yeah, I'd buy Party as the stopgap, sure...but Summer Days was just another evolution in the Beach Boys sound and Brian's productions.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »

I never called Summer Days a hodgepodge...its a great album! And just because side 2 of Today is the mellow side vs the fast songs on side 1 doesnt make it a lesser album. And I never said post67 BBs is crap, just hit&miss..wild honey is a solid lp I dont care what anyone says, same w 20/20; sunflower's strengths is in dennis's songs rather than brian's for the first and only time; surfs up & holland have some great songs and somw mediocre as well, agreed? 15bO is a solid sounding lp it just bummed some people out because it was all outtakes and covers.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »

<<I never called Summer Days a hodgepodge...its a great album! And just because side 2 of Today is the mellow side vs the fast songs on side 1 doesnt make it a lesser album. And I never said post67 BBs is crap, just hit&miss..wild honey is a solid lp I dont care what anyone says, same w 20/20; sunflower's strengths is in dennis's songs rather than brian's for the first and only time; surfs up & holland have some great songs and somw mediocre as well, agreed? 15bO is a solid sounding lp it just bummed some people out because it was all outtakes and covers. >>

Kook - would ya say MIU, LA and KTSA are all out-takes and covers, too?  And maybe Holland is the last real Beach Boys album?

Sign me curious.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »

Today had no filler. The radio interview at the end I guess, but that was more of an epilogue. It's unintrusive and harmless. Then SD saw a return to the filler in a big way. So it's not anachronistic, it's indicitive of a regression after a previous breakthrough

Sheesh, I'd love to know what versions of these albums you guys are all listening to. Friends without Little Bird is a weak LP? sh*t.

I specifically said Today had no filler unless you count the interview snippet at the end, which doesnt bother me. But SD definitely has filler. Im Bugged at My Old Man, a rehash of Rhonda and weird subpar experiments like Amusement Parks USA. It has some real gems too, but overall it doesnt coalesce into a really great, cohesive LP the same way Today and Pet Sounds do. It came out very quickly after Today, was a big step down from that, and in no way a natural evolutionary link between that and PS. It's a valley between two peaks. A stop gap if ever there was one. That doesnt mean its terrible or you shouldnt like it, but call it what it is.
You blew any and all credibility with me when you call the single version of Help Me Rhonda "Filler".
What we don't do or say to prove a point.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »

You blew any and all credibility with me when you call the single version of Help Me Rhonda "Filler".
What we don't do or say to prove a point.

It was on the very previous album (yes, yes, a different version I know) and released as a standalone single. To release the same song FOR THE THIRD TIME yes, I'd call that filler.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »

It's not the same song. It's a completely different production. Brian commonly included the current single on the new album. Calling it "filler" puts it in the same league as Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson.

By your logic, Heroes and Villains on the Smile box set is "filler."

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »

It's not the same song. It's a completely different production. Brian commonly included the current single on the new album. Calling it "filler" puts it in the same league as Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson.

By your logic, Heroes and Villains on the Smile box set is "filler."

Except that that's a historical release and recreation of the album H&V was originally meant to premiere on.

Sorry but as far as I'm concerned, rereleasing a song for a third time in quick succession is cheap filler. I love Brian but I'm not gonna pull punches when he made mistakes of that magnitude.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »

Help Me Rhonda on Summer Days a "mistake."

And I thought my opinions were f***ed up. But hey, you're entitled. This is going nowhere.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »

And I thought my opinions were f***ed up. But hey, you're entitled. This is going nowhere.

Itd be like if he rerecorded WIBN for SMiLE after having it on Pet Sounds and as a single. Nice, but unnecessary, a waste of space and lazy.

Rhonda is a great song but it was already on an album and a standalone single. No point in releasing it again except to fill space. Sorry if you disagree, but that's how I see it

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »

Itd be like if he rerecorded WIBN for SMiLE after having it on Pet Sounds and as a single. Nice, but unnecessary, a waste of space and lazy.

Rhonda is a great song but it was already on an album and a standalone single. No point in releasing it again except to fill space. Sorry if you disagree, but that's how I see it

Comparing the continuity of SUMMER DAYS & SUMMER NIGHTS with 20/20 is absurd. ALL SUMMER LONG, TODAY, and SUMMER DAYS are all on equal footing, with TODAY being the best of the three. PARTY is a stopgap, then a breakthrough with PET SOUNDS. Beach Boys 101.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »

Does I Get Around fall under these same criteria? I wonder...

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »

WILD HONEY is one Beach Boys album I rarely listen to anymore. Once a favorite, now in some respects (to me) the least of the post PET SOUNDS albums on Capitol. Maybe I should listen again. I've noticed here and there it's often a favorite among rock critics who like but do not love The Beach Boys: Robert Christgau, Greil Marcus, maybe Dave Marsh. But who cares what Dave Marsh likes, LOL.

That's not a very kind thing to say about the man who wrote a book about "Louie Louie".

And yes-----maybe you should listen again to Wild Honey... Smokin

Re Marsh: Perhaps too kind about a man who once gave SUNFLOWER a ** rating out of *****. HOLLAND too. PET SOUNDS? A whole ***. See the first edition of The Rolling Stone Record Guide, red cover, 1978.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »

Comparing the continuity of SUMMER DAYS & SUMMER NIGHTS with 20/20 is absurd. ALL SUMMER LONG, TODAY, and SUMMER DAYS are all on equal footing, with TODAY being the best of the three. PARTY is a stopgap, then a breakthrough with PET SOUNDS. Beach Boys 101.

Pet Sounds and Today are classic albums. ASL and SD are very good, but flawed. SD's flaws come under harder scrutiny because by then Brian knew better and had done better. Opinionology 420.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »

Re Marsh: Perhaps too kind about a man who once gave SUNFLOWER a ** rating out of *****. HOLLAND too. PET SOUNDS? A whole ***. See the first edition of The Rolling Stone Record Guide, red cover, 1978.

If they're writing for Rolling Stone, their opinions are automatically contemptible.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »

Pet Sounds and Today are classic albums. ASL and SD are very good, but flawed. SD's flaws come under harder scrutiny because by then Brian knew better and had done better. Opinionology 420.

Quick response! The 420 isn't slowing you down a bit.  Cool Guy
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »

If they're writing for Rolling Stone, their opinions are automatically contemptible.

Marsh has his head so far up Springsteen's a$$...another thread I guess.  He once wrote a classic anti-Love piece called "Shut Down Vol 3", to be found in his FORTUNATE SON anthology collection. I like his 1001 singles book. At times.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:25:03 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »

Different arrangement which Brian made an improvement upon the original. An improvement is not filler. A number one hit single is not filler. Are greatest hit compilations all filler? All the songs were released on prior albums, so they must be. So a song like Wouldn't It Be Nice is not filler on Pet Sounds, but is filler on any other album that it might appear on? This whole discourse is ridiculous. Sorry, but that is my opinion. If you disagree, sorry, that is how I see it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »

Different arrangement which Brian made an improvement upon the original. An improvement is not filler. A number one hit single is not filler. Are greatest hit compilations all filler? All the songs were released on prior albums, so they must be. So a song like Wouldn't It Be Nice is not filler on Pet Sounds, but is filler on any other album that it might appear on? This whole discourse is ridiculous. Sorry, but that is my opinion. If you disagree, sorry, that is how I see it.

Maybe he should have just rereleased Surfin Safari in a new arrangement every album Cool Guy

But seriously, I'm sorry if we can't see the others point but yes I think rehashing a song that's already been rearranged and rereleased is bad form. Number one hit or no. Each new studio album is an independent creation. It would be like a director remaking a scene from his very last movie into the new one. Or an author reusing a chapter from his last novel into his latest. Doesn't matter if it's the best scene/chapter/song ever, it's still poor craftsmanship. Something Brian was above by that point.

Greatest Hits are not the same thing. When you buy those, you know what you're getting--the hit singles repackaged into one convenient LP. Not the same as reusing tracks from the previous studio LP.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »

Maybe he should have just rereleased Surfin Safari in a new arrangement every album Cool Guy

But seriously, I'm sorry if we can't see the others point but yes I think rehashing a song that's already been rearranged and rereleased is bad form. Number one hit or no. Each new studio album is an independent creation. It would be like a director remaking a scene from his very last movie into the new one. Or an author reusing a chapter from his last novel into his latest. Doesn't matter if it's the best scene/chapter/song ever, it's still poor craftsmanship. Something Brian was above by that point.

Greatest Hits are not the same thing. When you buy those, you know what you're getting--the hit singles repackaged into one convenient LP. Not the same as reusing tracks from the previous studio LP.
you've heard of a guy named George Lucas?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »

you've heard of a guy named Frank Zappa?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 09:15:47 PM »

Thanks for proving my point.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »

you've heard of a guy named Frank Zappa?

Zappa did that?

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »

Thanks for proving my point.
well at least Brian didn't invent something like a Jar Jar Binks...and I think we all can be in agreement, in solidarity, with that...lol  LOL
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »

<<I never called Summer Days a hodgepodge...its a great album! And just because side 2 of Today is the mellow side vs the fast songs on side 1 doesnt make it a lesser album. And I never said post67 BBs is crap, just hit&miss..wild honey is a solid lp I dont care what anyone says, same w 20/20; sunflower's strengths is in dennis's songs rather than brian's for the first and only time; surfs up & holland have some great songs and somw mediocre as well, agreed? 15bO is a solid sounding lp it just bummed some people out because it was all outtakes and covers. >>

Kook - would ya say MIU, LA and KTSA are all out-takes and covers, too?  And maybe Holland is the last real Beach Boys album?

Sign me curious.
I just say Holland was their last essential lp. I like 15bO but I understand why it gets flack. LA and KTSA get flack for obvious reasons.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx