gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:38:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The solid LPs vs the gap bridgers.  (Read 9826 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »

Starting with Surfer Girl the BBs put out a dozen albums to the end of the 60s, SG being their first solid one, I personally love Little Deuce Couple but its been considered an album that was rushed out being that four of the cuts were reissued, same w Shut Down vol2, but then we have All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days and Pet Sounds- ALL solid...Smiley Smile gets undermined cuz it wasn't was expected but its a good lp, same w Wild Honey. Then we have Friends, without Little bird its a weak lp...I love 20/20 even if its more of a collection than proper album; Sunflower shines due to Dennis's efforts which I think outshined Brian's but just the one time, Surfs Up & Holland are hit&miss but I think are good, not great but good. Not trying to be a "broken" record or use lazy grammar, just putting in perspective.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »

Well, that's just, like, your OPINION, man.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »

I don't think "Friends" is a weak album at all...
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »

WILD HONEY is one Beach Boys album I rarely listen to anymore. Once a favorite, now in some respects (to me) the least of the post PET SOUNDS albums on Capitol. Maybe I should listen again. I've noticed here and there it's often a favorite among rock critics who like but do not love The Beach Boys: Robert Christgau, Greil Marcus, maybe Dave Marsh. But who cares what Dave Marsh likes, LOL.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »

Starting with Surfer Girl the BBs put out a dozen albums to the end of the 60s, SG being their first solid one, I personally love Little Deuce Couple but its been considered an album that was rushed out being that four of the cuts were reissued, same w Shut Down vol2, but then we have All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days and Pet Sounds- ALL solid...Smiley Smile gets undermined cuz it wasn't was expected but its a good lp, same w Wild Honey. Then we have Friends, without Little bird its a weak lp...I love 20/20 even if its more of a collection than proper album; Sunflower shines due to Dennis's efforts which I think outshined Brian's but just the one time, Surfs Up & Holland are hit&miss but I think are good, not great but good. Not trying to be a "broken" record or use lazy grammar, just putting in perspective.

To be frank, all you ever seem to post is posts just like this....Always about pre-67 being good and everything else contemptible..... What points are you trying to establish? I know its your opinion man but gawd if we haven't heard it enough...  Roll Eyes
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »

Ok instead of new threads ill just reply to ones someone else posted cuz apparently the piss poor elitism on here is key.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »

Summer Days is a stopgap. I know everyone else loves it and thinks it's one of their best, but it came out incredibly soon after Today and was a MASSIVE step down from that. Today into PS sounds and feels like a more natural and smooth evolution than Today into SD. SD saw a return to distracting filler, the rehash of Rhonda and the abandonment of Todays cohesive flow. Even if one likes it, it was almost certainly rushed and is as much of a hodgepodge as 20/20

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »

Ok instead of new threads ill just reply to ones someone else posted cuz apparently the piss poor elitism on here is key.

It's just hard to understand what you're saying and to what end, that's all. Nobody's putting you down for personal reasons

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:15:10 PM »

Party seems most like an album that is a gap but yet it doesn't fit...lol
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »

Some decent punctuation and acceptable spelling & grammar would help your cause immeasurably, as would having a POV that varied somewhat (as noted below) from "pre-67 good/post-67 bad". Anyone who uses txt spk on a forum such as this is immediately consigned to my personal "not to be taken in any way seriously" file.

Plus, the last time the BB were a rock & roll band was... ummm... someone help me here ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 10:51:54 PM »

Summer Days is a stopgap. I know everyone else loves it and thinks it's one of their best, but it came out incredibly soon after Today and was a MASSIVE step down from that. Today into PS sounds and feels like a more natural and smooth evolution than Today into SD. SD saw a return to distracting filler, the rehash of Rhonda and the abandonment of Todays cohesive flow. Even if one likes it, it was almost certainly rushed and is as much of a hodgepodge as 20/20

Have to agree - the album kinda peters out on side two and it seems like Brian was conducting an experiment along the lines of "what would it sound like if I unplugged the echo chamber ?". That said... oh ! Side one !!!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »

Plus, the last time the BB were a rock & roll band was... ummm... someone help me here ?

The Beach Boys were a rock band man they rocked were rockin. America/US stopped being interested in rock music, just look at the charts after 1966. The UK was carrying the torch of rocknroll and they kept buying all the Beach Boys records, that's because they were still keeping the rock alive. Rock was dead in the US. None of the beatles albums after 1965 have any energy; they were a studio band. They didnt have any talent but George Martin kept them afloat with his goodness. The Beach Boys albums were better because the Beatles didn't have talent but George Martin did. Rock was dead in the US.

1973/Beach Boys were still rockin and makin good rockin. But 15 Big Ones was leftovers and demos and rerecordings of older songs and reinterpretations and leftovers. Love You is only a Beach Boys album in name,it's a Brian album in everything but name. It has the Beach Boys name on it. MIU and LA light album were leftovers and solo songs that were left over and they recorded other songs. The Beach Boys werent a real band anymore
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

The Beach Boys were a rock band man they rocked were rockin. America/US stopped being interested in rock music, just look at the charts after 1966. The UK was carrying the torch of rocknroll and they kept buying all the Beach Boys records, that's because they were still keeping the rock alive. Rock was dead in the US. None of the beatles albums after 1965 have any energy; they were a studio band. They didnt have any talent but George Martin kept them afloat with his goodness. The Beach Boys albums were better because the Beatles didn't have talent but George Martin did. Rock was dead in the US.

1973/Beach Boys were still rockin and makin good rockin. But 15 Big Ones was leftovers and demos and rerecordings of older songs and reinterpretations and leftovers. Love You is only a Beach Boys album in name,it's a Brian album in everything but name. It has the Beach Boys name on it. MIU and LA light album were leftovers and solo songs that were left over and they recorded other songs. The Beach Boys werent a real band anymore

Hey thank God The Ramones came along (honestly the fuckin' Ramones?) when they did.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 11:33:02 PM »

I agree the Beatles aren't nearly as talented as the accepted popular narrative would have you believe and George Martin
should get most of the credit. But their best albums came after '65. And I'm not sure what you mean by America didn't like rock music. If anything, America shifted towards a harder progressive rock/metal rock in '69 and the early seventies. The softer vocal/pop groups like the Beach Boys and Association are the ones that got left behind.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »

He's taking the piss out of Kook who lived through an alternative reality America, where nobody listened to rock music from the late 60s until The Ramones blundered along.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 11:43:06 PM »

WILD HONEY is one Beach Boys album I rarely listen to anymore. Once a favorite, now in some respects (to me) the least of the post PET SOUNDS albums on Capitol. Maybe I should listen again. I've noticed here and there it's often a favorite among rock critics who like but do not love The Beach Boys: Robert Christgau, Greil Marcus, maybe Dave Marsh. But who cares what Dave Marsh likes, LOL.

I'd say the best thing about the Wild Honey album is the lyrics (Mike was on a roll here). Clearly the overall production and the way the vocals were recorded are lacking.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 04:13:41 AM »

20/20 consisted of tracks recorded years apart, each cut having a different producer and composer. SUMMER DAYS was recorded in the spring of 65, written mostly by Brian and Mike, and produced by Brian. In no way is SUMMER DAYS "almost as much a hodgepodge as 20/20"
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:17:56 AM »

Have to agree - the album kinda peters out on side two and it seems like Brian was conducting an experiment along the lines of "what would it sound like if I unplugged the echo chamber ?". That said... oh ! Side one !!!

The only weak cut on side 2 is "Bugged/Old Man".
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »

HODGEPODGE

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 05:35:45 AM »

That's not a very kind thing to say about the man who wrote a book about "Louie Louie".

And yes-----maybe you should listen again to Wild Honey... Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 05:52:55 AM »

Summer Days is one of the group's most consistent albums. Girl Don't Tell Me, HMR, CG, Let Him Run Wild (!), You're So Good to Me, Summer Means New Love... the amount of stone cold classics is outstanding! There are some typical album cuts too but most of them are very good anyway.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »

I don't think "Friends" is a weak album at all...

+1. I never comprehend the mindset that this album is anything less than a relaxed, chilled-out masterpiece.
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 12:15:53 PM »

Prior to Pet Sounds/Rubber Soul didn't most pop albums have a lot of filler? Even when I was a kid, 45s were the big sellers. People had stacks of them and fewer albums. In Chicago, we had WLS Silver Dollar Surveys we collected every week from the record stores.

So it seems a little anachronistic to apply later standards to early BB albums.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »

Prior to Pet Sounds/Rubber Soul didn't most pop albums have a lot of filler? Even when I was a kid, 45s were the big sellers. People had stacks of them and fewer albums. In Chicago, we had WLS Silver Dollar Surveys we collected every week from the record stores.

So it seems a little anachronistic to apply later standards to early BB albums.

Today had no filler. The radio interview at the end I guess, but that was more of an epilogue. It's unintrusive and harmless. Then SD saw a return to the filler in a big way. So it's not anachronistic, it's indicitive of a regression after a previous breakthrough

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »

Today had no filler. The radio interview at the end I guess, but that was more of an epilogue. It's unintrusive and harmless. Then SD saw a return to the filler in a big way. So it's not anachronistic, it's indicitive of a regression after a previous breakthrough

Today and Summer Days aren't full of filler by any means.

Sheesh, I'd love to know what versions of these albums you guys are all listening to. Friends without Little Bird is a weak LP? sh*t.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx