gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Barks  (Read 85714 times)
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »

Okay, one more then I'll leave the poor guy alone.

Bad Vibrations
(cello triplets by VDP. Bass by Carol Kaye)

I... I love to twit on Twitter now
And opinionate on Facebook every day
I haven't seen this film anyhow
But that won't stop me having my own say

I'm sending out bad vibrations
Film didn't meet my expectations
caustic comments, irritations
Bad, bad, bad, bad vibrations

Close your eyes
You can hear my cellos now
Softly tickling triplets in your ear
When it's a bass you hear
It's Carol even when she wasn't there

Ahhhhhh....

I don't know why but I'm an old fart now

(ah my, my what a sensation)

(ah my, my what elations)

Gotta keep those twitt'ring bad vibrations poking atcha, Brian

Ahhhh….

Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
  LOL LOL You just made my day.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 02, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »

Okay, one more then I'll leave the poor guy alone.

Bad Vibrations
(cello triplets by VDP. Bass by Carol Kaye)

I... I love to twit on Twitter now
And opinionate on Facebook every day
I haven't seen this film anyhow
But that won't stop me having my own say

Close your eyes
You can hear my cellos now
Softly tickling triplets in your ear
When it's a bass you hear
It's Carol even when she wasn't there

Ahhhhhh....

I don't know why but I'm an old fart now

(ah my, my what a sensation)

(ah my, my what elations)

Ahhhh….

Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
Columnated ruins domino
  LOL LOL You just made my day.

Wow.  I actually managed to read that in the boys' singing voices.  With accompanying instrumental.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »

... and ... well, you could argue that much of the Beach Boys' career has consisted of attempts to make records like All Summer Long and Pet Sounds, quite frankly.

I like that! Smiley It doesn't really apply to all of their albums (15 Big Ones being more of a Party! type of record, for example) but for most of their discography this actually works quite well I think.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:57 AM »

Cyncie has just won the entire internets LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: July 03, 2015, 03:43:24 AM »

In the end, who has been proven right? The makers of An American Family, of course. Those guys (God bless them and their silly product) left Van Dyke's name out of the movie. They invented a Van-like character, and did not quote any of his lyrics. Gross story-telling, indeed. But they knew that VDP can be a pain up your ass.

Actually, they didn't. The version initially aired mentioned VDP by name - I saw it and can confirm - and it was changed to Samuel in later airings only after either a legal process or threat thereof. And while they didn't quote any lyrics (because he expressly forbade the use of them, hence "Geronimo Leaps" - Boyd has a very funny story about all that nonsense) they sure as hell quoted him - from interviews and articles, and word for word.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2015, 07:13:06 AM »

I'm guessing if he was in any way miffed about how Smile played out, he thought better of making a scene over the years, and maybe he thought better of Brian during all that time.  But perhaps more recent events, like TLOS not happening in the way he thought it might (and whatever else has happened in the meantime), made him re-evaluate his past dealings with Brian, revealing a pattern, perhaps.  And now maybe he's irritated by all the Brian-glory, due to the film, hence he's being miffed publically.

In a recent tweet, he says Orange Crate Art was 'fine collaboration', presumably as opposed to Brian-led ones.

If he keeps banging on, cryptically, about Brian, he's probably doing it as he's noticing the reaction here, even kind of responding to this perhaps, in his own way.  Clearly, he reads here, given that he supported Daro's view of the 60s when the latter was actually posting here.  If VDP's bitter, then fine.  He probably has legitimate gripes.  It doesn't diminish my view of him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:32:54 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »

In the end, who has been proven right? The makers of An American Family, of course. Those guys (God bless them and their silly product) left Van Dyke's name out of the movie. They invented a Van-like character, and did not quote any of his lyrics. Gross story-telling, indeed. But they knew that VDP can be a pain up your ass.

Actually, they didn't. The version initially aired mentioned VDP by name - I saw it and can confirm - and it was changed to Samuel in later airings only after either a legal process or threat thereof. And while they didn't quote any lyrics (because he expressly forbade the use of them, hence "Geronimo Leaps" - Boyd has a very funny story about all that nonsense) they sure as hell quoted him - from interviews and articles, and word for word.

I would think somewhere, someone has a VHS recording of the original airing that would have that footage in it.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »

I would think somewhere, someone has a VHS recording of the original airing that would have that footage in it.

Honestly, does it matter? We all know it was supposed to be Van

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »

Honestly, does it matter? We all know it was supposed to be Van

Totally, no doubt about it - I was just speaking purely from a geeky completist, collector perspective.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: July 03, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »

Um... every airing has that footage in it. But in the original airing, the character was referred to as Van Dyke, not Samuel as later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 03, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Um... every airing has that footage in it. But in the original airing, the character was referred to as Van Dyke, not Samuel as later.

The version I watched online says Van Dyke.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »

I've only seen the original airing but I thought I remembered they called VDP through out and another character was named something like "Tommy Samuels" who I took be Terry Sachen because he was supplying drugs or some such.

Nope. I was wrong about that too.  IMDB shows the VDP character as Samuel Pierce and the other character as Tommy Schaeffer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:33:46 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »

"Astonishing what can get done, if you don't care who gets the credit."

https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/617359255633444864/photo/1

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »

A touch hypocritical, eh Van?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

From a few of the comments in this thread, I got the idea that Van's Twitter feed must be one long stream of bile. Having actually checked it out just now, I found it highly enjoyable, quirky and thought-provoking, much like his music.

I'd agree with Fire Wind above; VDP is a cool cat and an occasional snarky aside doesn't diminish my opinion of him.

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 04, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »

Although thanks to his tweets today, I now know more about Amish art than I previously did.  Had no idea those roundels were called hexes.  So at least that's a good thing.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx