gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680800 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:38:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Surf" music confusion/BBs  (Read 2603 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »

Think about this: the Surfin Safari lp minus the song and Surfin, not really a "surf" album. Surfin USA was/is a legitimate surf album mixing in the BB vocal blend but just as real as the Surfaris and Dick Dale; then Surfer Girl which was the BB sound full force, so they really only made TWO surf albums- surfin USA & surfer girl. And likewise with hot rod rock, Little Deuce Coupe was their only "car" lp, Shut Down vol2 had ONE car cut with This car of mine. Out of all the subgenres the BBs get pigeonholed into, only one really fits: rockNroll. Right?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:48:05 PM »

+1

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »

im in

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:28:42 PM »

Who cares about genres? There's only two types of music for me; those that I'm willing to pay money to hear and those that I'm not.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:13:19 AM »

How aptly named.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:53:22 AM »

There's only two types of music for me; those that I'm willing to pay money to hear and those that I'm not.

Really? The lion's share of the great music I've discovered in recent years hasn't cost me a red cent and I'd rather like to keep it that way. Grin

And it's nice to see Gertie back, with a new, improved signature. :=)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:22:02 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »

SURFIN' USA rates as the band's one true surf LP, sure. It established the folklore and mythology of The Beach Boys. SURFER GIRL delves into the more romantic side of the surfin' scene.  LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is perhaps the first rock & roll concept album - a look at all sides of the automotive lifestyle from cocky celebrations of speed to mournful odes of cars gone by.

All three albums are consistently underrated by not only modern audiences but fans of the group as well. Classic Americana IMO.

Brian moved fast in those days, and generally wasn't one to repeat himself during his peak creative years. Or after, for that matter.  

Sometimes I think of The Beach Boys as rock & roll, sometimes not. The early guitar based stuff mentioned above certainly is, but are PET SOUNDS and SMILE ? I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:42:05 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »

SURFIN' USA rates as the band's one true surf LP, sure. It established the folklore and mythology of The Beach Boys. SURFER GIRL delves into the more romantic side of the surfin' scene.  LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is perhaps the first rock & roll concept album - a look at all sides of the automotive lifestyle from cocky celebrations of speed to mournful odesof cars gone by.

All three albums are consistently underrated by not only modern audiences but fans of the group as well. Classic Americana IMO.

Brian moved fast in those days, and generally wasn't one to repeat himself during his peak creative years. Or after, for that matter. 

True surf music, if you want to be pedantic, featured no vocals just instrumentals. So, in that instant, none of The Beach Boys albums could actually be defined as true surf music, not even Surfin USA.

Read Kent Crowley's fantastic book - Surf Beat:The Forgotten Rock'n'Roll Revolution - on the subject to understand the true meaning of the surf music genre. Fascinating tome.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »

SURFIN' USA rates as the band's one true surf LP, sure. It established the folklore and mythology of The Beach Boys.  

Much to Brian's ultimate chagrin.  That mythology would haunt them just as much as help them for...oh...50 years.

SURFER GIRL delves into the more romantic side of the surfin' scene.  

Where, in reality, wouldn't THAT have been Brian's unique take on it because it was really less about the romance and more about just gettin' 'lucky'?

LITTLE DEUCE COUPE is perhaps the first rock & roll concept album - a look at all sides of the automotive lifestyle from cocky celebrations of speed to mournful odes of cars gone by.

Agree 100%...even with Be True To Your School and cruisin' round the other parts of the town with the school decal on the rear window or just above the fender I would assume.  Certainly, imho, the best of the first 5 albums...and by a significant margin.  [no instrumentals/so NOT a surf album]

Sometimes I think of The Beach Boys as rock & roll, sometimes not. The early guitar based stuff mentioned above certainly is, but are PET SOUNDS and SMILE ? I don't know.

I don't underrate them.  And they sold well in an era where albums really weren't important.  The Beach Boys did THAT before the Beatles showed up over here.  [and afterwards ... for awhile].
Brian had a game-plan...a goal.  His father and the record company didn't agree.  Non comfrontational Brian confrontationally told them to get stuffed by doing it HIS way.  The correct way.  At least until inner rumblings pissed on the parade.
The Beach Boys have always been Rock 'n' Roll and MORE/Rock and MORE to me.  [well  at least until Summer in Paradise. and there ain't no Rock on TWGMTR]  That "mythology" or perhaps better said...Stigma...and the touring band, over the past couple of decades, putting too much emphasis on 'surfing and driving' drove 'it' home...if not further into the ground.  50 some-odd years later the Beach Boys have become cool again.  But they'll never/ever again be hip like they were for a while with Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations and again in the first half of the 70s.

It's a quantum leap from "Bom Bom Dip Dip Di Dip" to "A diamond necklace played the pawn".  Unfortunately one or two have still only pretended to 'jump'. Lips Sealed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wholly C R A P !!!!!  I hope I said something "new"!!!  Andrew?  Bgas?  Wink
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:58:56 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »

I see Surfin Safari as a surf record, because it had vocals on top of that signature surf (almost pre-punk) instrumentals to back up the vocals. Plus, "Moon Dawg" is a really great surf instrumental.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx