gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:06:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrecking Crew DVD...  (Read 18647 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »

Remember, these studios pros, as far as I know, never created songs, however many parts they invented.

Wrong. Many composers among them. Leon Russell, for one.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »

Remember, these studios pros, as far as I know, never created songs, however many parts they invented.

Leon wrote for Gary Lewis and the Playboys. Jack Nitzsche was also a composer of note. PF Sloan wasn't really core WC, he just worked with them on Dunhill sessions (Mamas & Papas, etc).

Can't think of any others. Who am I missing?
SBonilla
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »

Leon wrote for Gary Lewis and the Playboys. Jack Nitzsche was also a composer of note. PF Sloan wasn't really core WC, he just worked with them on Dunhill sessions (Mamas & Papas, etc).

Can't think of any others. Who am I missing?
Plenty. Don Randi, Nino Tempo, Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye, Jerry Cole, Mike Deasy and on an on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:45:52 PM by Olmec Donald » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »

Any musician can write a song. I'm talking songwriters of note. Carol Kaye was a noted songwriter?

ETA : I forgot Jim Gordon. He wrote the piano coda to 'Layla' and co-wrote 'Rock 'n Roll Stew' for Traffic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:33:19 PM by clack » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

Any musician can write a song. I'm talking songwriters of note. Carol Kaye was a noted songwriter?

ETA : I forgot Jim Gordon. He wrote the piano coda to 'Layla' and co-wrote 'Rock 'n Roll Stew' for Traffic.

So, it's 'noted' now? Instead of, "never created songs?"

Many of those folks were/are noted recording artists, composers, producers, arrangers, improvisers, and educators, who also did session work.

They were not specially bred drones kept in lockers at the musicians union office until summoned by wunderkind producers.

I have met  musicians who can't write songs. Plenty.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »

As usual, my brother Ontor and I meet in the middle and agree. Yes, they deserve praise, fame and endless respect--up to the point at which they--intentionally or not--start to re-write history to promote their own martyrdom.

And for those of you who cite Leon Russell and other who were artists, this only makes my point for me: they decided to take the risk, and their fame rests on their accomplishment as performers. We all know Glen Campbell and Leon  from their hit records.  Their fame is unquestioned.  It's the bitter malcontents who try to erase BB musical artistry from history that trouble me. Without Hal, the BB corpus would be in tact.  I lose my wealth because of a divorce, so I say the BB never played their own instruments? No.  The opposite of classy.

Altho I definitely get your point, it's a TAD unfair to such excellent musicians who indeed had huge roles in creating many of those songs they played on, coming up with parts, adding their own flourishes. Lots of those songs definitely weren't meticulously scored out in detail. They did some stellar work and should be celebrated as well -- The Beach Boys are in no danger of losing any credibility due to doffing our caps at these great talents. Altho yes, it's annoying to be tarred with an early Monkees brush, certainly!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:23:40 PM by the professor » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

I enjoy Wrecking Crew lore as much as the next guy, but they were never centrally important. I mean, after the 60's, they were pretty much eased out of the rock recording business, and did it matter?

The Stax and Muscle Shoals session guys, now, were important -- they wrote, arranged, and produced the records.
SBonilla
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »

I enjoy Wrecking Crew lore as much as the next guy, but they were never centrally important. I mean, after the 60's, they were pretty much eased out of the rock recording business, and did it matter?

The Stax and Muscle Shoals session guys, now, were important -- they wrote, arranged, and produced the records.

Those bumpkins?

kidding.

How were they important and not those of the so-called Crew who also wrote, arranged and produced?  Please.

Both groups of musicians had a great run with some phenomenal artistic achievement and commercial success.

I will say that the LA guys were more versatile. They had opportunity.

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 06:48:41 PM »

I was watching some of the bonus material on the DVD today, and Dean Torrence was telling the story of "Surf City".  He said Brian played him "Surfin' USA" on the piano and told him it was the Beach Boys' next song.  Then he said he had another song that he'd lost interest in and didn't want to finish and offered it to Jan & Dean.  That was "Surf City".  Of course, it became a hit, and Murray was livid.  Murray accused Jan of being a "song pirate" and told him not to come around anymore.   So, he shows up at a Beach Boys recording session wearing a pirate costume complete with eye patch.   Murray told Brian to make him leave, Brian refused, so Murray left. 

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »

Sorry for the bump, just a head's up.

THE WRECKING CREW will be coming to Netflix on July 30th.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

I was watching some of the bonus material on the DVD today, and Dean Torrence was telling the story of "Surf City".  He said Brian played him "Surfin' USA" on the piano and told him it was the Beach Boys' next song.  Then he said he had another song that he'd lost interest in and didn't want to finish and offered it to Jan & Dean.  That was "Surf City".  Of course, it became a hit, and Murray was livid.  Murray accused Jan of being a "song pirate" and told him not to come around anymore.   So, he shows up at a Beach Boys recording session wearing a pirate costume complete with eye patch.   Murray told Brian to make him leave, Brian refused, so Murray left. 

Trolling Murry like a boss.  EPIC!

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »

Someones put part of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEKwM_5_vQ
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »

I bought the DVD and watched it today.  I enjoyed it, it seemed a little sloppily put together though, there wasn't much of a narrative.  But it's still a must see for any fan of music from that era and I learned some new facts.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

Sorry for the bump, just a head's up.

THE WRECKING CREW will be coming to Netflix on July 30th.

Good news. I'll be watching for it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »

Anyone know of a region-free or region 2 release?

“We live in divisive times.”
kimlange
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »

Anyone know if it's still being sent out? It's now one month ago since they announced that the DVD's would go out - still haven't seen it  Sad
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 04:53:44 AM »

Someones put part of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEKwM_5_vQ
Thanks for that link!

You're the best!

It brought back detail from when I had seen it a few years ago. 

Carol Kaye presented herself very well.  Those "stills" show her being very au courant, and having a "seat at the table" among the men, and fully accepted among them.  It seems that they may have used some of the Leon Russell clips for The Union film with Elton John.

Thanks again! One for you!  Beer

Put it on ice...I know it's early... LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »

Gone!

Ahhh well. Bring on Netflix! LOL
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 02:09:16 PM »

Just saw this the other night (via Netflix) and I really enjoyed it.  I can see what has bothered folks about it - regarding the inaccurate generalizations over what the Beach Boys (and maybe other groups) actually played on or not - but other than that it was pretty cool.  They were very complimentary towards Brian himself anyway.   
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »

Just saw this the other night (via Netflix) and I really enjoyed it.  I can see what has bothered folks about it - regarding the inaccurate generalizations over what the Beach Boys (and maybe other groups) actually played on or not - but other than that it was pretty cool.  They were very complimentary towards Brian himself anyway.   
Didn't know this was on Netflix, I'll be checking it out asap!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »

Post above said from the 30th. Are you in the US?
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »

Yes, I am in the US.  I got it through Netflix on disc (not streaming).  I just got it this past week and watched it.  I don't know if they have it in their streaming library, but it was on their mail discs. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

Yes, I am in the US.  I got it through Netflix on disc (not streaming).  I just got it this past week and watched it.  I don't know if they have it in their streaming library, but it was on their mail discs. 
Aha!  The DVD Netflix version...I just have the streaming...hope they have it soon... Wink
ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »

Okay, just got "The Wrecking Crew" on DVD via Netflix.

"When the Wrecking Crew -- a secret, high-level, government-sponsored hit squad -- is dispatched to clean up the gang-infested streets and take out a violent crime lord, plenty of Hong Kong-style action and martial arts soon follow."

First of all, I didn't know Ice-T and Snoop Dogg played on any BB songs.  And actually, I didn't hear any BB songs in the whole movie.  Poke Poke

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »

Disappointed, yet hardly surprised to see no mention of Dennis in the "Wrecking Crew and Friends, Drums/Percussion" section, yet Mickey Dolenz gets a nod Huh The same lack of recognition for Brian in the "Arranger" section.

Oh well, at least Brian was spoken about glowingly...

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx