gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:58:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrecking Crew DVD...  (Read 18580 times)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »

...arrived today, like getting a timely and appropriate gift on Brian's birthday. I'm perfectly aware that many of you take issue with Denny Tedesco's misleading inferences or information concerning who played what and when on the Beach Boys tracks (and the whole Carol Kaye tango), but nevertheless I find this to be an extremely entertaining and informative rockdoc, and after seeing Love and Mercy, I'm sure there will be a resurgence of interest in the real Crew.

Best of all? The back cover says "6 hours of extras!" I love these oral histories and 60's studio sessions anecdotes, so that's a goldmine of riches for me.

I once posted my reaction to this film on this board after getting a bootleg from a friend years ago, but when I wrote to Denny and found out it was a work in progress seeking funding for the music rights, I sent him a check immediately, and then again on Kickstarter. Worth the investment and then some. Congrats to him on such a monumental task of fundraising and persistence of vision.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:42:34 PM by PS » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »

But but but, they get too much credit!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

Who says they get too much credit?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

I agree.  Three inches of DVD cover is too much credit.  They should only get 2.75 inches.

LOL LOL LOL

Edit: Sometimes I just feel like being a butt.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:13:24 PM by Komera » Logged

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »

They were slouches, man. The Shaggs put down tighter tracks than those amateurs.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:15:59 PM »

They were slouches, man. The Shaggs put down tighter tracks than those amateurs.

And the people said, "Amen."

Amen.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »

If Murry had discovered the Shaggs in 1969...not only would there have been world peace, but there would have been syncopation the likes of which Al Jardine would have been humbled by.

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

If Murry had discovered the Shaggs in 1969...not only would there have been world peace, but there would have been syncopation the likes of which Al Jardine would have been humbled by.

I have nothing more to add to this.  This is just so awesome of a concept.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »

I can imagine the sessions now...

"Dot, syncopate a little. What are the words? Sing it!"
"My pal's name is Foot Foot-"
"Alright, sing it!"
"My pal's-"
"NO! My pal's name is Foot Foot, boo doo doo bah BAH dee dee dah dee DAH!"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:39:24 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »

I have an essay in the works discussing the parenting of Murry and Austin Wiggen.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:24 AM »

Of course, the line "There was only one band behind them all!" is misleading & inaccurate, as well. On any given session it might be a totally different lineup of WC musicians than the next! 

On one session, it might be:

Bill Pitman & Tommy Tedesco - Guitars
Ray Pohlman - Fender bass
Jimmy Bond - Upright bass
Leon Russell & Al de Lory - Keyboards
Hal Blaine - Drums
Frank Capp - Percussion
Steve Douglas & Jay Migliori - saxes

And on another, it might be:

Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel & Billy Strange - Guitars
Carol Kaye - Fender bass
Lyle Ritz - Upright bass
Don Randi & Larry Knechtel - Keyboards
Earl Palmer - Drums
Julius Wechter - Percussion
Plas Johnson & Jack Nimitz - Saxes

But, I understand the need for a pithy, eye-catching slogan!
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »

I am curious, is the DVD and or bluray region free?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

Of course, the line "There was only one band behind them all!" is misleading & inaccurate, as well. On any given session it might be a totally different lineup of WC musicians than the next! 

On one session, it might be:

Bill Pitman & Tommy Tedesco - Guitars
Ray Pohlman - Fender bass
Jimmy Bond - Upright bass
Leon Russell & Al de Lory - Keyboards
Hal Blaine - Drums
Frank Capp - Percussion
Steve Douglas & Jay Migliori - saxes

And on another, it might be:

Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel & Billy Strange - Guitars
Carol Kaye - Fender bass
Lyle Ritz - Upright bass
Don Randi & Larry Knechtel - Keyboards
Earl Palmer - Drums
Julius Wechter - Percussion
Plas Johnson & Jack Nimitz - Saxes

But, I understand the need for a pithy, eye-catching slogan!

And even then they were never a "band." They were session musicians given a blanket nickname by Hal Blaine. LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

How many Elvis sessions did the Wrecking Crew play on? I suspect very few.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »

I'd have to find my copy of Ernst Jorgensen's book on Elvis' recording sessions but Elvis did record often in Hollywood and several times with members of the Wrecking Crew. The soundtrack to Blue Hawaii and the 1968 Timex TV special come to mind.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

Watched disc 1 of the special features last night - really wonderful. Fleshed out a lot of the stories that only get a passing glance in the original. These people are just wonderful and Denny really did his homework, obviously, in seeking them out (Lalo Schifrin, for example!) And you might be happy to know that Mr. Tedesco includes the full session credits for every song credited in the main body of the film, as a distinct part of the extras - including, I might add, the Beach Boys' songs, with Carl and Al listed as playing on Fun, Fun, Fun, etc.

He also printed the name of every Donor and Kickstarter, and has a section called "Dedications" which allowed contributors who paid a little extra to dedicate a song to someone they love with a message - surprisingly touching.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:06:56 PM by PS » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »

And you might be happy to know that Mr. Tedesco includes the full session credits for every song credited in the main body of the film, as a distinct part of the extras - including, I might add, the Beach Boys' songs, with Carl and Al listed as playing on Fun, Fun, Fun, etc.

Heven't seen it, so,  are there quite a few BBs songs in the main body or just FFF? And, do the  credits agree with what is stated on this board for each song?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »

And you might be happy to know that Mr. Tedesco includes the full session credits for every song credited in the main body of the film, as a distinct part of the extras - including, I might add, the Beach Boys' songs, with Carl and Al listed as playing on Fun, Fun, Fun, etc.

Given they're on the AFM contract, that's to be expected. The question must be posed, has he used the correct AFMs and not - as he did on the website for over three years - something the band had no part of.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »

I noticed that they seemed to put Brian Wilson on a different level than anyone else! That's expected in a Beach Boys or Brian Wilson doc, but to hear them say it on this was awesome!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »

Got my Kickstarter DVD today!   Life is good.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »

I've got a question for PS - sometime early this year, this was said in another Wrecking Crew thread:

Nice footage of Brian and the boys in the studio (not sure if it was previously seen or not)
He was not sure, but since you have it arrived & watched it, can you tell whether it's a GV video we've seen already or sth. totally new?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:10 AM »

Given they're on the AFM contract, that's to be expected. The question must be posed, has he used the correct AFMs and not - as he did on the website for over three years - something the band had no part of.

So Brian and Dennis aren't? They're on the AFM contract, too...and more importantly, they're definitely playing on the track, as well!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »

So Brian and Dennis aren't? They're on the AFM contract, too...and more importantly, they're definitely playing on the track, as well!
Details Details. Actual facts diffuse with the narrative of the WC replacing the BB's on all beloved big hits, even though the BB's actually played instruments on the majority of them...which is a fact BTW, break down the top 40 BB's hits and it's factual that they played the core instruments on more of them than they didn't.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »

Yes, I was happy to see many important performances and the musicians who did them, such as the guitar intro on "Let's get it on." I was disappointed that Nokie did not play the 50 theme song; he could have, and sometimes it was just disappointing to see the urge for studio perfection justify the illusion of artistry. I respect all these musicians, but ultimately I do NOT like the ultimate effect of the film on the perception of the BB. The overall impression the casual viewer would get is that the BB are the early Monkees--totally unfair to Dave, Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, and Bruce--Mike's cool sax as well I suppose. Remember, these studios pros, as far as I know, never created songs, however many parts they invented. They chose to be hired guns, and they were paid well. If they wanted to be rock and roll stars, they should have gone through all the creative and interpersonal hell that bands go through. On the Professor's big list of historical injustices, the WC not getting enough credit is ranked low. 

Details Details. Actual facts diffuse with the narrative of the WC replacing the BB's on all beloved big hits, even though the BB's actually played instruments on the majority of them...which is a fact BTW, break down the top 40 BB's hits and it's factual that they played the core instruments on more of them than they didn't.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »

Altho I definitely get your point, it's a TAD unfair to such excellent musicians who indeed had huge roles in creating many of those songs they played on, coming up with parts, adding their own flourishes. Lots of those songs definitely weren't meticulously scored out in detail. They did some stellar work and should be celebrated as well -- The Beach Boys are in no danger of losing any credibility due to doffing our caps at these great talents. Altho yes, it's annoying to be tarred with an early Monkees brush, certainly!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:59:48 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx