gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:55:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary  (Read 21111 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »

From a new Billboard article on Brian’s Pet Sounds Tour:

“Capitol/UMe's Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Edition will be released in June, including a 4CD/Blu-ray Audio collectors edition presented in a hardbound book, featuring the remastered original album in stereo and mono, plus new hi res instrumental and 5.1 surround mixes, as well as session outtakes, alternate mixes, previously unreleased live recordings and hi res stereo and mono mixes; a 2CD and digital deluxe edition pairing the remastered album in stereo and mono with highlights from the collectors edition's additional tracks; a remastered, 180-gram LP editions of the album in mono and stereo with faithfully replicated original artwork.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7263743/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-tour

I just read the same article and figured I'd come on here to post it, but you beat me to it Big Daddy!

I have to say that I'm unsure why this set even excites me as I can't imagine that there is much at all that is both unreleased and somewhat exciting. And since I posted in another thread about the same topic, I'll put the same basic post (minus a change or two) here...

What "previously released" material could they even put on such a set?

There are no unique single mixes, are there? I do not think so. I suppose as far as stuff that wasn't on The Pet Sounds Sessions set, you could add the mono mix of "Trombone Dixie" that was on the first Pet Sounds CD reissue, but that's not exactly the sorta thing that'll get people opening there wallets to grab $129.99. I suppose they could do another new stereo mix of the album, an "alternate" mix if you will, to the "official" stereo mix of 1996. Maybe there were some more piano demos out there, a la "Don't Talk"? I personally doubt it, as you'd think they'd have been used before now. Could you rope in "Stella by Starlight" or "How Deep Is the Ocean"? I guess, but are they even considered "Beach Boys" tunes?

The only other things, and some would probably think this to be horrible, but maybe have Tony Asher write new lyrics to "Let's Go Away for a While", "Pet Sounds" and "Trombone Dixie" and have Brian and Al do some new vocals, like how "Summer Means New Love" was remodeled into "Somewhere Quiet." I personally think that'd be cool, but I definitely could understand it would be anathema to a lot of people here.
KDS
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »

I wouldn't be against putting vocals on Pet Sounds instrumentals to make new tracks ala Somewhere Quiet. 

But, I don't think this release would be the best place for them.

I'd rather have them on a Brian Wilson album since, like Somewhere Quiet, it would essentially be a Brian Wilson song. 
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »

I'd dare Capitol to include a Pet Sounds cut or two on this 50th anniv. edition in DUOPHONIC stereo - just for laughs.  It is the way many of us heard it originally
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »

It's clearly stated that the previously unreleased material comprises live versions.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »

I guess this means that any stand-alone hires Bluray audio disc release is off the cards?

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »

It's clearly stated that the previously unreleased material comprises live versions.

So that means the only previously unreleased material is the live stuff? I suppose the article could lead one to believe that. But I'd be somewhat surprised if there was nothing unreleased from the original sessions on the set. Whether that previously unreleased material would be worthwhile is a different question though.

And about the live stuff, what are we talking about. Live material from the Pet Sounds era? I suppose that'd be somewhat interesting, but not really. And not really that important to the story of the Pet Sounds era unless they just wanna show what the band was doing while Brian was in the studio.

Anyways, if it's not that, it's probably gonna be performances of Pet Sounds tracks throughout the years. But really how many of the songs were even done by The Beach Boys? You've got "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Sloop John B." and "God Only Knows" from nearly every era. You've got "Caroline No" from the '70s and also from the '90s."I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "Pet Sounds" from 2012.  "I'm Waiting For The Day" from 1974 or 1975 with Billy Hinsche on lead right? I suppose if you stretch the definition of The Beach Boys you could have a Mike and Bruce "Here Today" but I couldn't see it.

So regardless, it'll be interesting to see what it is they are releasing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »

Billboard's story reported on The Second Disc. No further detail but some background to previous reissues provided:

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/03/18/wouldnt-nice-pet-sounds-50th-anniversary-celebrated-june-multiple-editions-including-4-cdblu-ray-box-set/

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

Where did the "Don't Talk" piano demo come from?

I remember that the box set compilers explained that there were a lack of session tapes of the studio version of that song, but that it was fortunate that an unrelated piano demo surfaced. What's the story behind that?

Am I right to assume that if there were any other demos floating around, that they would have been dug up in the same batch as the "Don't Talk" piano demo?

And if there's anything else that needs releasing with regards to Pet Sounds... it's STEMS! More stems please! Vocal overdubs or individual instrument parts! I will shell out bucks for that. Not sure if it's worth buying for a few live tracks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:35:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »

I think I'm done with buying Pet Sounds. There's practically no way of justifying buying it again in any format. Not done with listening to it though and looking forward to seeing Brian perform it (again) in Glasgow.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »

I think I'm done with buying Pet Sounds. There's practically no way of justifying buying it again in any format. Not done with listening to it though and looking forward to seeing Brian perform it (again) in Glasgow.

Wouldn't an all stems version make it worth buying though? Where all available isolated tracks for all songs are presented? I totally agree with what you are saying though.

I hope one day soon, Capitol is convinced to release isolated stems for all BB records. That's got to be truly the last big untapped resource they can monetize off of old albums like this.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »

Wouldn't an all stems version make it worth buying though? Where all available isolated tracks for all songs are presented? I totally agree with what you are saying though.

I hope one day soon, Capitol is convinced to release isolated stems for all BB records. That's got to be truly the last big untapped resource they can monetize off of old albums like this.

I kinda like the idea – I guess you mean so people can make their own mixes an such. But isn't a further extension of that to sell a box set containing three different bass guitars, cellos, keyboards, 12-string guitars, drums, kettle drums, a French horn and a Theremin so we can recreate those stems?

I love hearing the sessions and the outtakes but I also love the way Brian and Chuck mixed it…

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »

I kinda like the idea – I guess you mean so people can make their own mixes an such. But isn't a further extension of that to sell a box set containing three different bass guitars, cellos, keyboards, 12-string guitars, drums, kettle drums, a French horn and a Theremin so we can recreate those stems?

I love hearing the sessions and the outtakes but I also love the way Brian and Chuck mixed it…

Yeah, the original mixes are amazing. But stems are not just for fans making their own mixes necessarily, but also for people to be able to better dissect and appreciate the discrete elements... without necessarily even trying to make some new mix or remix out of them. When the tracks are pulled apart, so many unknown gems and layers hidden for decades can then be discovered.

I've heard some stems by various bands that have been leaked out (as a result of the Rock Band game having made the individual stems available within the game), and let me tell you, it can be absolutely revelatory to just hear individual parts that have been there all along, but that you never noticed or appreciated until hearing them individually. The Beach Boys surely have TONS upon TONS of incredible bits of beauty that we've never even realized have been underneath our noses the entire time. Releasing stems could make this possible.

It would be foolish for record companies not to exploit this revenue stream.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:31:10 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »

I wonder if the live tracks will be the Michigan 1966 concerts. This would cover the copyright extension release for the year.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »

I wonder if the live tracks will be the Michigan 1966 concerts. This would cover the copyright extension release for the year.

That's what I assume it will be.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »

I'm curious if they'll try to include career-spanning live takes of the songs. "You Still Believe In Me" from 1973 or 1993, Don't Talk from '74, etc. Michigan '66 probably seems more plausible.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2016, 12:39:34 AM »

From the article:

"The 2016 tour will be the first time Pet Sounds will be played in its entirety on stage in 17 years. When Pet Sounds was released in 1966, "We didn't play it on stage," Wilson says, describing the record as, "an album that started out with 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and just went from there."

Was the Winter 2007 Pet Sounds tour just my imagination then?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »

From the article:

"The 2016 tour will be the first time Pet Sounds will be played in its entirety on stage in 17 years. When Pet Sounds was released in 1966, "We didn't play it on stage," Wilson says, describing the record as, "an album that started out with 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and just went from there."

And didn't it get played once or twice more recently, I think maybe during the Jeff Beck tour?

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2016, 01:33:47 AM »

From the article:

And didn't it get played once or twice more recently, I think maybe during the Jeff Beck tour?

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2016, 06:17:13 AM »

From the article:

Not to mention the Pet Sounds tours of 2000 in the US and the UK tours of 2002, which resulted in a live CD and DVD. I'm *pretty* sure 2002 isn't seventeen years ago...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »

He's kind of right. The touring BB never did much Pet Sounds. They played the big 3 songs, and sprinkled in a few more in the early 70's. From 74-93, no other Pet Sounds songs other than the big 3 and maybe Caroline No as a one off a couple of times  were played until 1993 , then dropped again until circa 2000 when BW toured it. Even today, M and B only rarely throw in another Pet Sounds song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »

I'm sure the article is just looking to the one full-blown PS tour in the US in 2000 and ignoring the subsequent international legs and shorter US excursions (2006/2007 amounted to about 9 shows, and they did PS twice I believe on the 2013 tour). "First time in 17 years!" sounds better. I suppose "first extensive US PS tour in 17 years" would be technically accurate.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »

I'm sure the article is just looking to the one full-blown PS tour in the US in 2000 and ignoring the subsequent international legs and shorter US excursions (2006/2007 amounted to about 9 shows, and they did PS twice I believe on the 2013 tour). "First time in 17 years!" sounds better. I suppose "first extensive US PS tour in 17 years" would be technically accurate.
...yes, except 2000 was 16 years ago.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »

If they're already ignoring a UK tour and 11 subsequent US shows, I can't imagine being one year off on the math being the headline as far inaccuracy. But it's all nit-picks.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »

Yeah, the original mixes are amazing. But stems are not just for fans making their own mixes necessarily, but also for people to be able to better dissect and appreciate the discrete elements... without necessarily even trying to make some new mix or remix out of them. When the tracks are pulled apart, so many unknown gems and layers hidden for decades can then be discovered.

I've heard some stems by various bands that have been leaked out (as a result of the Rock Band game having made the individual stems available within the game), and let me tell you, it can be absolutely revelatory to just hear individual parts that have been there all along, but that you never noticed or appreciated until hearing them individually. The Beach Boys surely have TONS upon TONS of incredible bits of beauty that we've never even realized have been underneath our noses the entire time. Releasing stems could make this possible.

Multi track releases would be great but it's not like nowadays where each instrument is on a separate track of it's own and you can just listen to that part.  The way Pet Sounds was recorded would mean a lot of 'bleed' from other instruments.  You might just end up with something marginally more educational than the Brilliant stereo mix which did allow hidden elements to 'breathe'.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

Multi track releases would be great but it's not like nowadays where each instrument is on a separate track of it's own and you can just listen to that part.  The way Pet Sounds was recorded would mean a lot of 'bleed' from other instruments.  You might just end up with something marginally more educational than the Brilliant stereo mix which did allow hidden elements to 'breathe'.

True, but there are at least some hidden gems that, if compiled, could certainly amount to a sizable amount of "new" content that could entice hardcores to buy the umpteenth reissue. For example, there have got to be numerous different passes of vocal takes for many songs... for example, take the Wouldn't It Be Nice version on the Pet Sounds Session set that is just the backing track + the backing vocals only.

Right there, using those same elements, Capitol could also release the isolated backing vocals only (by themselves, sans backing track), and various overdubs of parts of backing vocals for each song. It may get into minutia, but I think there's an audience for it, especially if they could market a few dozen unreleased snippets/portions of tracks. That, to me, is much more marketable than some live versions of songs.

The Smile vocals montage was so amazing on The Smile Sessions, but it seemed to be just a tease of what's really out there on the tapes. Similarly, the fully acapella versions of Pet Sounds songs were super great to hear on the Pet Sounds Session set, but those acapella tracks could be dissected further by peeling the layers apart on a future release.

The best example of this might be the Please Let Me Wonder backing vocals only track, which is floating around on boots and I believe is on Youtube. It's beyond heavenly. More of this stuff, please Capitol. Money will happily be extracted from our wallets for this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:43:29 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx