gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:22:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary  (Read 21218 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

How about a release of the C&TP  mix of PS as part of the set too?
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »

I know some news and film have used a unique single tracked version of WIBN, and I'd loved to hear a full version of it, but I don't think it exists.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »

Stars & Stripes Vol. 2: Pet Sounds Goes Country !

Seriously, pretty much the only thing left is, as someone has previously suggested, is a DVD with all the existing discrete tracks (vocal & instrumental) and virtual 4- and 8-track mixers so we can  remix away to our hearts content. I'd spring $100-$150 for that puppy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

I would love a 'boxed set' type zip file (official ) of digital multitracks of the catalog so we can mix to our hearts content.  I think that's the wave of the future,  and a release as such would be ace.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 11:22:10 PM »

I would love a 'boxed set' type zip file (official ) of digital multitracks of the catalog so we can mix to our hearts content.  I think that's the wave of the future,  and a release as such would be ace.
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »

How about a release of the C&TP  mix of PS as part of the set too?

It's not a different mix, just a better mastering & pressing.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »

Seriously, pretty much the only thing left is, as someone has previously suggested, is a DVD with all the existing discrete tracks (vocal & instrumental) and virtual 4- and 8-track mixers so we can  remix away to our hearts content. I'd spring $100-$150 for that puppy.

I can't get over the thought that Brian and Chuck did that to haphazard perfection back in 1966! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:14:01 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 05:44:32 AM »

Although I hope this will never happen (oh God please don't let it happen!!) I'm pretty sure that it would be one of the first things thought of from certain sites. Re-record (or perform on stage) the whole Pet Sounds album with guest artists, not necessarily country acts though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:50:57 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »

That would be like the ultimate fan release.  To hear all the multi-tracks and have multiple takes of the same songs.  I would spend most of my 2016 happily immersed, yet again, in PET SOUNDS.

Part of the reason I want a LOVE & MERCY soundtrack/score release so badly is because all of the awesome multi-track stems used in the score.

Bring it, Capitol!

Happy Dance

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Gohi
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »

How about the ultimate Pet Sounds sessionography?
I'd be just as happy with the one for Made in California
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

Surely, Bri recorded some piano demos for PS, I wonder if any of those are in the vaults? I would die if I could hear te original piano demo for WIBN & GOK, that would be an awesome thing to release for the 50th Anniversary. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure I said in 2012 prior to the London shows that the group should do PS live at least once while there. Not really for commercial reasons but just to kind of round things off. That BBC2 radio concert would have been perfect.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »

all I ask for is a stereo mix of "Hang On To Your Ego"!  Grin
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »

I say skip it and release a Smiley boxset next year which also includes SMiLE rarites that didnt make the first boxset. As well as a tour of that album.

I agree, Pet Sounds has been as rereleased and studied and wrote about as any album possibly could be. Theres really nothing more to offer at this point. I do like the idea of a do-it-yourself mixer but I dont see that happening. And the album that REALLY needs a release like that is SMiLE, but with unfettered access to every session, every Psych Sound skit, every Smiley session, and possibly every BWPS session to really be 100% effective. Maybe a website where people who bought the service can freely upload and download their mixes? Thatd be my dream come true.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »

I say skip it and release a Smiley boxset next year which also includes SMiLE rarites that didnt make the first boxset. As well as a tour of that album.

I agree, Pet Sounds has been as rereleased and studied and wrote about as any album possibly could be. Theres really nothing more to offer at this point. I do like the idea of a do-it-yourself mixer but I dont see that happening. And the album that REALLY needs a release like that is SMiLE, but with unfettered access to every session, every Psych Sound skit, every Smiley session, and possibly every BWPS session to really be 100% effective. Maybe a website where people who bought the service can freely upload and download their mixes? Thatd be my dream come true.
Word.
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »

What does C50 mean?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »

This was the initial logo for the 50th Anniversary:

... and in true SS fashion it was shortened to C50. I think I might have done that. If not I sure as hell used it a lot.  Grin

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »

This was the initial logo for the 50th Anniversary:

... and in true SS fashion it was shortened to C50. I think I might have done that. If not I sure as hell used it a lot.  Grin

holy sh*t is that tacky

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 02:17:45 PM »

No. Grin
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

If we could get the unedited session tapes released, that would be excellent - even if they're only offered in a download-only format.  I've always wondered how the IKTAA fade evolved into its final form.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 07:00:10 AM »

From a new Billboard article on Brian’s Pet Sounds Tour:

“Capitol/UMe's Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Edition will be released in June, including a 4CD/Blu-ray Audio collectors edition presented in a hardbound book, featuring the remastered original album in stereo and mono, plus new hi res instrumental and 5.1 surround mixes, as well as session outtakes, alternate mixes, previously unreleased live recordings and hi res stereo and mono mixes; a 2CD and digital deluxe edition pairing the remastered album in stereo and mono with highlights from the collectors edition's additional tracks; a remastered, 180-gram LP editions of the album in mono and stereo with faithfully replicated original artwork.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7263743/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-tour

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:01 AM »

I know some news and film have used a unique single tracked version of WIBN, and I'd loved to hear a full version of it, but I don't think it exists.

Wasn't that on Made in USA?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »

“Capitol/UMe's Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Edition will be released in June, including a 4CD/Blu-ray Audio collectors edition presented in a hardbound book, featuring the remastered original album in stereo and mono, plus new hi res instrumental and 5.1 surround mixes, as well as session outtakes, alternate mixes, previously unreleased live recordings and hi res stereo and mono mixes; a 2CD and digital deluxe edition pairing the remastered album in stereo and mono with highlights from the collectors edition's additional tracks; a remastered, 180-gram LP editions of the album in mono and stereo with faithfully replicated original artwork.”

Many thanks for sharing.

The book format sounds great, the contents an intriguing great.

I may well have to pass on the vinyl as my Pet Sounds Vinyl Warehouseman is threatening to strike for more pay.

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 08:35:02 AM »

Many thanks for sharing.

The book format sounds great, the contents an intriguing great.

I may well have to pass on the vinyl as my Pet Sounds Vinyl Warehouseman is threatening to strike for more pay.

A 50th Anniversary release was expected, so I can't complain. But it still sounds like it could be largely a rehash of the "Pet Sounds Sessions" boxed set, with the high-rez disc thrown in, and some (hopefully new) live tracks

If it's 4 CDs *plus* the Blu-ray, and they were carrying over the contents from the PS Sessions set, there wouldn't be a great deal of room left on those four discs. They could combine the mono and stereo onto one disc. Then they'd have three discs left and two or two and a half discs worth of "PS Sessions" box material to put on there. So that may sounds about right; we may get 1/2 or 2/3 of one disc's worth of new material. I wonder if they'll at least dig in the vaults for interesting live takes we haven't heard. Did they ever capture Carl's version of "Don't Talk" on multitrack in the 70s?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »

Thanks for that Big Daddy - it will be worth it just for the extra sessions and the outtakes! 

Yahoo!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx