gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681572 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 17, 2024, 11:08:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary  (Read 21495 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »

Next year, will be the 50th anniversary of the timeless classic, Pet Sounds. Knowing anniversaries are kinda a big thing to the BB (15 Big Ones, 50 Big Ones, 25th Anniv. In Waikiki, C50, ect.) what would you like to see next year for the big celebration?

Personally, a 50th anniversary "Per Sounds Live" tour with Bri, Mike, Al, Bruce, & Dave would be nice, but I don't see it happening. But I have a feeling a BW Pet Sounds tour will happen. A PS box set has been done, so is there anything "new" we could get? What would you personally like to see?
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »

It's a tough one because a 50th anniversary of one of the most popular albums ever is a big deal. Other than Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce getting together to tour Pet Sounds (which would be fantastic but seems unlikely), what can they do? Brian has already toured the album with Al, they've already released the Pet Sounds sessions box set and there are already too many releases of the album. Recently we had the 2012 cd release and the mobile fidelity sacd release. Later this year there is a blu ray audio release and analogue productions is releasing a mono/stereo sacd and individual mono & stereo vinyl releases.

While the 5 of them getting together to tour Pet Sounds seems unlikely, hopefully they can work out something where they can do a few shows together to celebrate. Maybe a mini tour with 10 - 15 dates or something similar. Record the shows and film one or two. At least that would give them new Pet Sounds product to sell.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:50:28 AM by lee » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »

They can instead go on the 15 Big Ones 40th Anniversary tour or the Stars and Stripes Part 1 20th Anniversary tour.  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:56:26 AM »

It seems like there has been a 50th anniversary for something Beach Boys-related celebrated every year since 2012, so having something for Pet Sounds' 50th at this point may be more rote or expected than something truly special, to be honest. The only thing perhaps left to do would be a release of all the outtakes and sessions in a deluxe set, of course the price point would be pretty high and only a small demographic would probably buy it.

It could be made special coming from the industry rather than marketing, I'd think. As in some honor or distinction beyond marketing the 50th anniversary as a sales tool.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »

I'd rather see them try something new than keep on rehashing stuff.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »

A tour wouldn't be good imo because that was already done and released as CD/DVD. Even after that Brian and Al performed it. If The Beach Boys would get together and do it, that might hit a point but I don't think that will happen and even then...no! Just create something new, something worthwhile.
This "50 years of..." thing has been overdone tastelessly (in good Beach Boys tradition) just as soon as the band broke up (probably they would've done it anyway). 50 years of Fun,Fun,Fun, 50 years of California Girls, 50 years of wtf... Fact is: nobody cares outside of some Beach Boys fans. If they keep on doing their separate things please don't try to play the complete album. No matter how great it would be, if Mike&Bruce would do it they would just be regarded as following what Brian already did more than ten years ago. If Brian would do it it'd certainly get some cool attention and reviews but still it would be repitition. You can already go out and buy/watch him performing the album in it's entirety plus a making-of of the album. It's been done. We even have a podcast of the four surviving Beach Boys who were part of Pet Sounds talking about the tracks. There's just nothing left to do that would be new.

In terms of releases etc. I really don't think there is anything new they could do as well. The Pet Sounds Session is a definitive statement and could be newly advertised. Maybe they could correct a few of the flaws of the stereo version if some tapes have been found in the meantime.

I know that not everyone will agree with me and that's fine of course. This is just my opinion. Put a new sticker on the Pet Sounds Sessions and advertise that. The live shows of course can sprinkle their setlists with some of the non-hit songs as they have done already. But personally I get sick as h3ll from this whole "50 years of..."-crap.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »

Mike said in that recent interview that they're doing "50 Years of Good Vibrations" next year, which seems silly on multiple levels. I could muse on the missed opportunity (that old Beach Boys chestnut) and also how or if I suspect the Boys may be pulling the wool over our eyes again.... but more importantly, this got me thinking, what the hell is Mike going to do a "50th anniversary of" following 1966? As cool as "50 years of Wild Honey" would be, is he really going to do that? I guess in 2018 we could get (50 years of Doin' It Again"... except that already was basically the theme of C50. The mind boggles!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »

A BW/Al tour would be great if they did it with no opening act and had plenty of room for other songs and kept the setlist lively. Hard to resist and a lot more significant than "50 Years of Fun, Fun, Fun."
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

Mike said in that recent interview that they're doing "50 Years of Good Vibrations" next year, which seems silly on multiple levels. I could muse on the missed opportunity (that old Beach Boys chestnut) and also how or if I suspect the Boys may be pulling the wool over our eyes again.... but more importantly, this got me thinking, what the hell is Mike going to do a "50th anniversary of" following 1966? As cool as "50 years of Wild Honey" would be, is he really going to do that? I guess in 2018 we could get (50 years of Doin' It Again"... except that already was basically the theme of C50. The mind boggles!

50th Anniversary of SUMMER IN PARADISE.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

1. pet sounds sessions vol2
2. paul mccartney re-imagines pet sounds
3. pet sounds- the new duets and rap remixes ...lol  LOL
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »

What I want is every track for each song released so I can mix my own versions of Pet Sounds.

The educational value in releasing something like that for Brian Wilson productions would be immense
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:42:54 AM by Woodstock » Logged

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »

PET SOUNDS SESSIONS 50th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set

• Expanded Box Set with 1 or 2 more discs of additional sessions
  • Revamped hardcover book of the sessionography and booklet
  • Flat transfer of original mono master tape vinyl pressing
  • Replica singles for "Wouldn't It Be Nice"/"God Only Knows", "Caroline No"/"Summer Means New Love", "Good Vibrations"/"Let's Go Away For Awhile"

Think Deluxe SMILE SESSIONS box but PET SOUNDS, basically.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »

I know that not everyone will agree with me and that's fine of course. This is just my opinion. Put a new sticker on the Pet Sounds Sessions and advertise that…

I think it has been reissued this year, prob to cash in on L&M.  The fact that the Bluray audio version that was due out this year has been put back until the anniversary (according to David Beard) suggests the cupboard is bare.

But then the best way to celebrate Pet Sounds is perhaps simply to help more people discover it. "3 for the price of 2" offer or something… Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »

Yes! That would be cool. .... especially if it also comes with a poster, because my walls are lacking some Beach Boys Tongue.

I would also love to hear some more isolated string sessions. The one for "Don't Talk" is so lovely.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

I cannot think of a worse idea.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »

PET SOUNDS SESSIONS 50th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set

• Expanded Box Set with 1 or 2 more discs of additional sessions
  • Revamped hardcover book of the sessionography and booklet
  • Flat transfer of original mono master tape vinyl pressing
  • Replica singles for "Wouldn't It Be Nice"/"God Only Knows", "Caroline No"/"Summer Means New Love", "Good Vibrations"/"Let's Go Away For Awhile"

I love this idea.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »

A CD set could be released with LP faksimiles of the Pet Sounds album and the GV single.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »

How about the ultimate Pet Sounds sessionography?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »

Agreed.  How many times have they rereleased that album to begin with?  There's really not much else they can do with it.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »

I want this idea.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »

Agreed.  How many times have they rereleased that album to begin with?  There's really not much else they can do with it.

I'd rather see them do deluxe editions of other albums. I don't know how much else Pet Sounds can be given the deluxe treatment; we know of all of the recordings. There aren't much in the way of revelations. Whereas you have the 50th anniversary copyright extension releases which bring out some actual new music and some pretty cool finds. What else is really left to be discovered from the Pet Sounds sessions?

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

I'm waiting for 50 Years of Wild Honey. Or perhaps an expanded Smiley Smile.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

I think the closest we'll ever get to that would be if the band releases a 50th anniversary package in 2017. Might be one for the CD burners.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

How about the ultimate Pet Sounds sessionography?

A splendid idea!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »

lol.... Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx