gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680827 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:34:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what kind of Bonus features do you want on the L&M dvd/Blu-ray?  (Read 5202 times)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »

Just a quick follow up about my email to Criterion.  Surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly), Criterion got back to me today.  The correspondence I received was from the same person I mentioned previously (thought that was pretty cool).

I'll summarize his email: "Thank you for your suggestion about making this LOVE & MERCY part of the collection.  I saw the film in a theater and thought it was splendid.  I'll share your suggestion with my colleagues".

Definitely not pinning my hopes on this happening, although, it would be utterly amazing if it did.

Last weekend, I spent a little time looking at Lions Gate and Roadside Attractions DVD/Blu-Ray releases, particularly the highest grossing co-releases (where both Roadside Attractions and Lions Gate were the studio/distributor).  And if you're curious, LOVE & MERCY is now their 4th highest grossing release, behind these.  In all cases a DVD & Blu-Ray were released (also Digital), these are the special features included with each.

MUD (2012) – Director Commentary, Featurette, Two Interviews with Cast & Crew (EPK)
A MOST WANTED MAN (2014) – Featurette, One Interview (EPK)
THE CONSPIRATOR (2011) – Director Commentary, Documentary, Making of, Featurettes, Trailers and more.

Judging from those, even if Lions Gate is the Blu-Ray/DVD release partner I think there's a good chance we'll get some decent special features, based on the examples I looked at.  FWIW, I used the same rationale when I was trying to figure out how big of a release LOVE & MERCY would get, in the U.S.  My guess was in the 700-800 theater range.  That's about where these titles were, as well.

I'm still clinging to hope that Capitol will release a score and/or soundtrack for LOVE & MERCY.  And if they don't maybe an Isolated Score will be included on Home Video.  If that's the case, I'll just "roll my own" using DVD Audio Extractor.

Smokin

Thanks for the update. If Criterion does release it, I suspect it won't be anytime soon. Many of Wes Anderson's films are in the Criterion Collection, so I was looking at one as an example: Fantastic Mr. Fox (which has Heroes and Villains on the soundtrack, by the way - enough of a reason to purchase it). Anyway, it was released in 2009, but didn't get the Criterion treatment until 2014. If that timeline is any indication, if L & M does go Criterion, it probably won't happen until 2020 or thereabouts. That's a long time to wait, so I'll purchase the Lionsgate edition in the meantime.

Interesting, another Beach Boys connection from Lionsgate with "Mud," as that featured Help Me, Rhonda, with a character singing it in the film, and in the closing credits if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:49:44 PM by Misterlou » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »

Yea, the Lions Gate DVD & Blu-Ray are first day purchases for me.  I'll probably buy both, so I can use the DVD on my Mac and rip audio tracks.

I've never seen any of the movies I mentioned, that's cool about MUD.  Beach Boy music is everywhere.  I blame the Sunkist commercials that were on TV when I was a kid.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:47:30 AM »

Unfortunately, the “special features” on a lot of new film releases on DVD and Blu-ray have become more sparse and inconsequential (a lot of fluffy EPK sort of stuff). Hopefully they can do something more substantial and special with L&M (I think commentary tracks and deleted scenes will yield much more fascinating results than EPK-style cast interviews).

Criterion doesn’t do that many brand new/first run film releases, and Lionsgate has a pretty robust home video arm, so I wouldn’t expect a Criterion edition. Criterion indeed do wonderful work across the board. But they come in most handy in terms of A/V presentation, and as L&M is a brand new film, I don’t think Criterion would add a lot in that department. They would potentially bring a lot to the special features, though.

I would imagine when Lionsgate bought the distribution rights to L&M, they had the direct revenue from home video in mind. I wouldn’t expect them to license this out to Criterion. It would certainly be nice, though.

Criterion would probably have more success trying to license the Don Was “IJWMFTT” documentary from Lionsgate, as that actually needs a new HD transfer/restoration, which Criterion do great work with. I’d love to see if they have a trove of outtakes from *that* film.

Such as Brian singing "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" in color to close the movie.

Pretty sure that was filmed.

Yep, that would be nice to see. From Andy Paley's circa 2000 interview from the short-lived "petsounds.com" website:

Well there's one other that came out on a European thing. I think people mistakingly think that Don Was produced it. "This Song's Going To Sleep With You Tonight." That was produced by me and Brian. And it's just me and Brian, and Corky Hale on the harp, and me and Brian singing in the background. That came out on an EP or something.

Don actually filmed that song for the movie (the 1995 documentary, "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"). But at the last minute they didn't use that footage - he didn't use that song in the movie. Somewhere there's footage of him doing that - in fact I think they shot that in color. The way Don described it was that the movie was going to be in black and white and there would be this new song that would be in color.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »

I wonder if some of the songs on the soundtrack that weren't in the movie were also filmed like Melt Away and Let the Wind Blow.  It would definitely be cool to see an extended version with the full performances of all the songs.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

To be clear, no songs were actually performed for the IJWMFTT doc. All of the full-band stuff you see in the film is miming to prerecorded tracks.

Don Was recorded the entire album without Brian, with Andrew Gold (I believe) singing the lead parts. Brian came by the studio afterward and overdubbed his vocals in a few days.

Those tracks were then played back, and everyone followed along with them merrily for the camera.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:10:53 PM by Wirestone » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »

To be clear, no songs were actually performed for the IJWMFTT doc. All of the full-band stuff you see in the film is miming to prerecorded tracks.

Don Was recorded the entire album without Brian, with Andrew Gold (I believe) singing the lead parts. Brian came by the studio afterward and overdubbed his vocals in a few days.

Those tracks were then played back, and everyone played along with them merrily for the camera.
well that would explain why it doesn't sound anything like a "Brian Wilson Produced, album".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

Well, Brian is credited second -- "Produced by Don Was and Brian Wilson" -- which hasn't been done anywhere else. That's suggestive, at least.

My recollection is, BW largely contributed by deciding what songs would be recorded. That's why the title track for the doc isn't included -- he didn't want it on there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:16:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »

Brian has a credit for playing piano though. Or is that just for "Still I dream of it"?
Anyway, I listened to the album the last weeks from time to time which I haven't done in years. Really a cool album!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »

Brian has a credit for playing piano though. Or is that just for "Still I dream of it"?
Anyway, I listened to the album the last weeks from time to time which I haven't done in years. Really a cool album!

He might be playing on "Do It Again" -- that's the one sequence in the movie that looks like they might have filmed it live.

Don't know that for a fact, though.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx