gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:22:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what kind of Bonus features do you want on the L&M dvd/Blu-ray?  (Read 5196 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »

A Deluxe 2 disc version idea..

1. I would love to see full length commentary with the director, some of the actors and Brian and Melinda..
2. All the songs from the movie in a "Music Only" option with the full songs remastered in 5.1, basically the soundtrack as well as the instrumentals..not edited but the full versions
3. Concert Footage (or a complete concert) never before seen
4. behind the scenes footage, the making of doc.
5. A new (At least an hour long if not 2 hours) Documentary about Brian's life (on disc 2) with more songs (that are not in the movie) remastered in 5.1 sound, music videos, concert footage etc and unreleased songs
6. Deleted Scenes or make the movie an "Extended Version" with the scenes added back into it (like "Walk Hard" which has both regular and extended)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »

I LOVE super long "making of"s.  Frequently, they're more fun to watch than the movie itself.  Of course it's usually fantasy and sci-fi movies that get the super long "making of"s.

Full length commentaries are also usually more fun than the movie.  Especially in comedies.  But in films depicting real events, fantastic when it's the actual person doing the commentary.  I don't suspect we'd get much of one from Brian, though.  Unless it coincides with one of his good days.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »

Count me in on all of the above. I'd be stoked to see any scenes that were left out, and I'd definitely love to sit in my living room listening to the Ross score in 5.1. Commentary would be an exceptional bonus as well, though I understand that that's becoming something of a lost art as more people gravitate towards streaming. I haven't bought many blu-rays, but I'm definitely planning on getting L&M.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »

• Feature Length Audio Commentary by Bill Pohlad and Oren Moverman (as an optional audio track)
  • Isolated Soundtrack (as an optional audio track)
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Making of Featurette
  • Don Was documentary I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES restored HD print
  • Deleted Scenes (with Audio Commentary by Bill Pohlad)
         1. Complete "I Get Around" session scene with dialog between Brian (Dano) & Murry (very truncated version shown in opening credits)
         2. Scene with Brian (Dano) meeting with Tony Asher and discussing writing lyrics for PET SOUNDS, at Brian's (Dano) house
         3. Brian (Dano) meeting Phil Spector on the street briefly
         4. Scene with Brian and Van Dyke Parks writing "Heroes & Villains"
         5. Additional SMiLE session scenes
         6. Scene with Brian (Dano) going to see Hal Blaine; giving him his Beach Boys gold records

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »

Excerpts from the wrap party concert!

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »

Now is the time to act. We need to write or email Brimel Productions or whoever and ask politely that our wishes be considered. Otherwise we will have a "Keepin the Summer Alive" contest winners which are pretty hopeless and we will spend the next 30 years trying to figure out what the hell the contest was in the first place. Afro
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »

Dinner with Elizabeth Banks oughta be included in the price…

Wink
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:52:01 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »

• Feature Length Audio Commentary by Bill Pohlad and Oren Moverman (as an optional audio track)
  • Isolated Soundtrack (as an optional audio track)
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Making of Featurette
  • Don Was documentary I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES restored HD print
  • Deleted Scenes (with Audio Commentary by Bill Pohlad)
         1. Complete "I Get Around" session scene with dialog between Brian (Dano) & Murry (very truncated version shown in opening credits)
         2. Scene with Brian (Dano) meeting with Tony Asher and discussing writing lyrics for PET SOUNDS, at Brian's (Dano) house
         3. Brian (Dano) meeting Phil Spector on the street briefly
         4. Scene with Brian and Van Dyke Parks writing "Heroes & Villains"
         5. Additional SMiLE session scenes
         6. Scene with Brian (Dano) going to see Hal Blaine; giving him his Beach Boys gold records

I also thoguht that a combi with "I just wasn't made for these times" would be great. On the other hand I think we need a second part of that, but only if it is not trying to imitate the style of IJWMFTT but standing on it's own. I guess though, "Beautiful dreamer" will be the last documentary on Brian (as a solo artist) until he's gone. And if that's the case, I can wait a long, long time for the new one. That said, I don't think the combination of L&M and IJWMFTT (which's soundtrack I have played the last few days for the first time in years...and I think it's very cool; much better than I had in mind) would work as well as I'd wanted it to.

One bonus feature I'd kill for is a exclusive movie of Mike Love's facial expressions the first time he sees the movie.... No comments, no varying camera angles....

Grin Grin Grin just kidding of course.....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:17:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »

I wonder if they filmed the "Help Me Rhonda" sessions with Murry and then cut out it of the movie so we can get it as a "cut" scene,,, actually I'm surprised that part wasn't in the movie ( even though we do get a short snippet of it at one point)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »

I wonder if they filmed the "Help Me Rhonda" sessions with Murry and then cut out it of the movie so we can get it as a "cut" scene,,, actually I'm surprised that part wasn't in the movie ( even though we do get a short snippet of it at one point)

The screenplay references a scenario like the one that unfolded in the "Help Me Rhonda" session, but for "I Get Around" instead.  All of my suggested deleted scenes are directly from scenes referenced in the screenplay. 

Just assuming it was filmed, impossible to know for sure.

StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 01:58:42 AM »

Don Was documentary I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES restored HD print

Yep I second this, haven't seen the doc yet as haven't seen it available for sale in the UK and Sky Arts etc haven't aired it yet (to my knowledge).

Interviews with Brian, VDP & their thoughts on the movie would be cool. Would also like to see any unreleased footage that might be available of Brian & the boys in the studio.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:54 AM »

How about a Criterion Collection blu-ray release of Love & Mercy? They know how to do them right.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »

That would be ideal.  I've actually written their suggestion box about it.  I suspect that we'll just see a standard release that will hopefully have some nice goodies (deleted scenes, a commentary or two and a feature).

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »

That would be ideal.  I've actually written their suggestion box about it.  I suspect that we'll just see a standard release that will hopefully have some nice goodies (deleted scenes, a commentary or two and a feature).

That's a great idea actually - I will write them too. Do you have any insight into the process of a film becoming part of the Criterion Collection? Maybe if we get enough board members writing them, we'll get their attention, although I suppose it's a bit more complicated than some fanboys telling Criterion what they want and Criterion submitting to their wishes. As I have amassed quite a Criterion Collection collection over the years, I think it's a film that would fit very nicely into their catalog. It would cost a few more bucks than the standard issue DVD/Blu-Ray, but would be worth every penny.

P.S. Aren't you the member who has seen Love & Mercy five times? As of tomorrow night, I will be just one screening behind you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:24:23 PM by Misterlou » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »

My fave "want" is the BBC Art That Shook The World documentary on Pet Sounds dating, from the time of Brian's 2002 UK Pet Sounds tour and presented by Mark Lamarr. Haven't seen it since it was first broadcast but to me at the time it seemed to nail it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0920938/

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »

My fave "want" is the BBC Art That Shook The World documentary on Pet Sounds dating, from the time of Brian's 2002 UK Pet Sounds tour and presented by Mark Lamarr. Haven't seen it since it was first broadcast but to me at the time it seemed to nail it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWhhM7i4P4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »

That's a great idea actually - I will write them too. Do you have any insight into the process of a film becoming part of the Criterion Collection? Maybe if we get enough board members writing them, we'll get their attention, although I suppose it's a bit more complicated than some fanboys telling Criterion what they want and Criterion submitting to their wishes. As I have amassed quite a Criterion Collection collection over the years, I think it's a film that would fit very nicely into their catalog. It would cost a few more bucks than the standard issue DVD/Blu-Ray, but would be worth every penny.

Well...  back in the day (very early 00's) an email to their suggestion box would yield a friendly response from Jon Mulvaney about the likelihood of your suggestion becoming a Criterion title.  I'm not sure what to expect now.  I do know that whether or not a title gets added probably has as much to do with demand as it does availability through the rights holder.  Lions Gate is the North American distributor of LOVE & MERCY and I'm not sure of the current relationships Criterion has with any studios.  I haven't kept up with that stuff in a long, long time; kids get in the way of a lot of hobbies.  LOL

In my email I did mention that Robert Yeoman was the DP on LOVE & MERCY and that he has done numerous Wes Anderson films.  Of course, Criterion has released pretty much all of those.  Not that has anything to do with anything.  Also Bill Pohlad has ties to Ang Lee and Terrence Malick, both of whom have films that Criterion has released.  Again, nice trivia but probably has nothing to do with actually getting LOVE & MERCY into the Criterion Collection.

Allow me to digress, it's really awesome to hear that other people really take film and cinema seriously.  In my mid teens I began slowly collecting a few Criterion laserdiscs, this would have been in the early 1990s.  As laserdiscs turned into DVDs, I continued to collect select titles.  However, life has its seasons and now with kids a lot of those habits and hobbies have to get put away just due to lack of $$$.  But it's cool to hear from a fellow BB/BW fan that appreciates that stuff.  

P.S. Aren't you the member who has seen Love & Mercy five times? As of tomorrow night, I will be just one screening behind you.

My reputation precedes me.  Yes, that's me.  There have been a handful of times in my life where I have gotten obsessed about a film before it was released and then the anticipation builds to a point and then the film is released and exceeds my expectations.  Quite embarrassingly, that turns into me seeing a particular movie (previous examples: GOODFELLAS, THE THIN RED LINE, ZODIAC) multiple times.  I guess sometimes a piece of art just hits you the right way.  In this case, the story is fascinating from an outsider point of view.  And if your a BB/BW nut (who isn't here?) the art turns out to be a great reflection of the reality that occurred and it plays out on the screen the way you imagined it in your head.  The obsessive in me wants to relive that over and over.  

That said, I still might go once more.   Geek

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 11:54:17 PM »

Well...  back in the day (very early 00's) an email to their suggestion box would yield a friendly response from Jon Mulvaney about the likelihood of your suggestion becoming a Criterion title.  I'm not sure what to expect now.  I do know that whether or not a title gets added probably has as much to do with demand as it does availability through the rights holder.  Lions Gate is the North American distributor of LOVE & MERCY and I'm not sure of the current relationships Criterion has with any studios.  I haven't kept up with that stuff in a long, long time; kids get in the way of a lot of hobbies.  LOL

In my email I did mention that Robert Yeoman was the DP on LOVE & MERCY and that he has done numerous Wes Anderson films.  Of course, Criterion has released pretty much all of those.  Not that has anything to do with anything.  Also Bill Pohlad has ties to Ang Lee and Terrence Malick, both of whom have films that Criterion has released.  Again, nice trivia but probably has nothing to do with actually getting LOVE & MERCY into the Criterion Collection.

Allow me to digress, it's really awesome to hear that other people really take film and cinema seriously.  In my mid teens I began slowly collecting a few Criterion laserdiscs, this would have been in the early 1990s.  As laserdiscs turned into DVDs, I continued to collect select titles.  However, life has its seasons and now with kids a lot of those habits and hobbies have to get put away just due to lack of $$$.  But it's cool to hear from a fellow BB/BW fan that appreciates that stuff.  

My reputation precedes me.  Yes, that's me.  There have been a handful of times in my life where I have gotten obsessed about a film before it was released and then the anticipation builds to a point and then the film is released and exceeds my expectations.  Quite embarrassingly, that turns into me seeing a particular movie (previous examples: GOODFELLAS, THE THIN RED LINE, ZODIAC) multiple times.  I guess sometimes a piece of art just hits you the right way.  In this case, the story is fascinating from an outsider point of view.  And if your a BB/BW nut (who isn't here?) the art turns out to be a great reflection of the reality that occurred and it plays out on the screen the way you imagined it in your head.  The obsessive in me wants to relive that over and over.  

That said, I still might go once more.   Geek
Thanks for taking the time to write them, and please keep us posted if you hear anything. I haven't gotten around to writing Criterion but will do so early next week.

I didn't see Zodiac, but didn't Atticus Ross score that film as well? I think he has done most if not all of Fincher's films. L & M definitely exceeded my expectations in every way. Some critics have said it's a flawed film, despite still giving it high marks, yet I don't see the flaws, and I just got back from my fourth time seeing it. In fact, I am more awestruck by it after my fourth screening than my first one.

I would love commentary from Ross on the Blu-Ray edition as well, as his role is so central to the success of this film.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:07 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWhhM7i4P4

Many thanks! I shoulda thought… Smiley

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 04:48:04 AM »

I have a feeling, and hope, that the "One Kind of Love" music video will be a bonus feature...

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »

Just a quick follow up about my email to Criterion.  Surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly), Criterion got back to me today.  The correspondence I received was from the same person I mentioned previously (thought that was pretty cool).

I'll summarize his email: "Thank you for your suggestion about making this LOVE & MERCY part of the collection.  I saw the film in a theater and thought it was splendid.  I'll share your suggestion with my colleagues".

Definitely not pinning my hopes on this happening, although, it would be utterly amazing if it did.

Last weekend, I spent a little time looking at Lions Gate and Roadside Attractions DVD/Blu-Ray releases, particularly the highest grossing co-releases (where both Roadside Attractions and Lions Gate were the studio/distributor).  And if you're curious, LOVE & MERCY is now their 4th highest grossing release, behind these.  In all cases a DVD & Blu-Ray were released (also Digital), these are the special features included with each.

MUD (2012) – Director Commentary, Featurette, Two Interviews with Cast & Crew (EPK)
A MOST WANTED MAN (2014) – Featurette, One Interview (EPK)
THE CONSPIRATOR (2011) – Director Commentary, Documentary, Making of, Featurettes, Trailers and more.

Judging from those, even if Lions Gate is the Blu-Ray/DVD release partner I think there's a good chance we'll get some decent special features, based on the examples I looked at.  FWIW, I used the same rationale when I was trying to figure out how big of a release LOVE & MERCY would get, in the U.S.  My guess was in the 700-800 theater range.  That's about where these titles were, as well.

I'm still clinging to hope that Capitol will release a score and/or soundtrack for LOVE & MERCY.  And if they don't maybe an Isolated Score will be included on Home Video.  If that's the case, I'll just "roll my own" using DVD Audio Extractor.

Smokin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:10:03 PM by JCM » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »

Mike Love and Van Dyke Parks audio commentary.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

"TM or not, Van Dyke, I'll shove that cello where the sun doesn't shine until you're singing involuntary triplets through your nose."

"I already walked out on you once, Mike."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »

Unfortunately, the “special features” on a lot of new film releases on DVD and Blu-ray have become more sparse and inconsequential (a lot of fluffy EPK sort of stuff). Hopefully they can do something more substantial and special with L&M (I think commentary tracks and deleted scenes will yield much more fascinating results than EPK-style cast interviews).

Criterion doesn’t do that many brand new/first run film releases, and Lionsgate has a pretty robust home video arm, so I wouldn’t expect a Criterion edition. Criterion indeed do wonderful work across the board. But they come in most handy in terms of A/V presentation, and as L&M is a brand new film, I don’t think Criterion would add a lot in that department. They would potentially bring a lot to the special features, though.

I would imagine when Lionsgate bought the distribution rights to L&M, they had the direct revenue from home video in mind. I wouldn’t expect them to license this out to Criterion. It would certainly be nice, though.

Criterion would probably have more success trying to license the Don Was “IJWMFTT” documentary from Lionsgate, as that actually needs a new HD transfer/restoration, which Criterion do great work with. I’d love to see if they have a trove of outtakes from *that* film.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

Unfortunately, the “special features” on a lot of new film releases on DVD and Blu-ray have become more sparse and inconsequential (a lot of fluffy EPK sort of stuff). Hopefully they can do something more substantial and special with L&M (I think commentary tracks and deleted scenes will yield much more fascinating results than EPK-style cast interviews).

Criterion doesn’t do that many brand new/first run film releases, and Lionsgate has a pretty robust home video arm, so I wouldn’t expect a Criterion edition. Criterion indeed do wonderful work across the board. But they come in most handy in terms of A/V presentation, and as L&M is a brand new film, I don’t think Criterion would add a lot in that department. They would potentially bring a lot to the special features, though.

I would imagine when Lionsgate bought the distribution rights to L&M, they had the direct revenue from home video in mind. I wouldn’t expect them to license this out to Criterion. It would certainly be nice, though.

Criterion would probably have more success trying to license the Don Was “IJWMFTT” documentary from Lionsgate, as that actually needs a new HD transfer/restoration, which Criterion do great work with. I’d love to see if they have a trove of outtakes from *that* film.

Such as Brian singing "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" in color to close the movie.

Pretty sure that was filmed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx