gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:47:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary Single  (Read 10513 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:42:35 PM »

Looks nice!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOQ0PA/qid=1151350596/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-8639180-7860966?s=music&v=glance&n=5174
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

Inside the CD single Capitol has photos of GV picture sleeves from around the world & the back cover has some groovy artwork as well. It's a neat re-issue to be sure.

It kinda gets you in the mood for some Beach Boys era SMiLE product.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »

i hope it's going to be easy to find.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:39:44 PM »

its on amazon dude! cant be that hard...

hit me up sometime, a! I got some stuff to share with you...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:27:55 AM »

its on amazon dude! cant be that hard...

i mean in record stores, man.  for some reason amazon
has it at full retail price.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:45:31 AM »

Just picked the GV single up at the record store and it is truly amazing!! Beautiful, beautiful artwork! Really un-Beach Boys like beautiful! Everything about it is beautiful and the music sounds soo good!! They really did a great job on this one!! Yorick
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:04:49 AM »

Just picked this up here in Toronto.  Was suprised to find it in an HMV (in a mall in the financial district no less) for only $4.99 CDN.

The sleeve has a sticker that says "Limited Edition - Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary CD Single".  Rear cover states "Super groovy fab gear outasight psychedelic good trip" above the tracklisting.  CD label is the Capitol "swirl".  "Let's Go Away For Awhile" sounds to me to be the stereo mix.

Question: is the instrumental cut of GV on this CD available elsewhere?  Sounds good in stereo.

This disc and the upcoming PS reissue are fine and good, but I'd really like to see Capitol put out some unreleased material, rather than reissuing catalogue items over and over again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:09:48 AM by mistermono » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 09:05:23 AM »

A new instrumental stereo mix was created for this CD.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »

i hope it's going to be easy to find.

I was a little worried myself, but my local Borders had three copies at $7.99 each.

I won't be able to listen until I get home, unfortunately. But it is indeed a nice-looking package.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 02:58:30 PM »

I went all over town and couldn't find one. I have one on the way from Amazon, but wanted to see how the retailers were handling it. Looks like they can't spare any shelf space for the greatest single ever. Only have room for the new Paris Hilton single. What a bunch of jerk-offs.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »

I went all over town and couldn't find one. I have one on the way from Amazon, but wanted to see how the retailers were handling it. Looks like they can't spare any shelf space for the greatest single ever. Only have room for the new Paris Hilton single. What a bunch of jerk-offs.

that sucks, i just waked out my door walked to virgin and it was there,  very few on shelf though.

Must be selling really well

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »

Got mine at Best Buy...even though the sticker said $9.99, it rang up at $7.99.  And it ended up being free for me, as I had a $5 RewardZone coupon and a little bit left on a gift card from Xmas.

FWIW, no new CD releases had any kind of prominent display in this particular store.  But the GV single was at the front of one of the little stacks of BB CDs.  As with all things Brian, it would be nice if it had better promotion...but hey, whaddyagonnado?  I just hope the PS release gets a little more fanfare in August, as that is a very nice package and a great way to introduce people to this album.

That reminds me...one of my students this past year (10th grade Language Arts) confided that she wanted to be a rock journalist someday.  We talked music often, and I told her all about Pet Sounds.  Her parents decided to send her to boarding school back in India, an idea she's not crazy about.  I think I might send her a copy of the new PS to help her in this transition.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 06:46:50 PM »

i found one copy at best buy today.  $7.99.  not bad.  i just don't think track 1 sounds good at all.  they used 5 year old masters for tracks 1, 5, and 6.  why?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:56 AM »

wow, this board IS dead.
a special new 40th anniversary release and nobody around here cares?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 06:46:28 AM »

wow, this board IS dead.
a special new 40th anniversary release and nobody around here cares?

I do, but my order hasn't arrived yet.... Roll Eyes

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 07:37:52 AM »

Are any of the versions the "Smile" version?  It would be nice to have a nice complete Beach Boys version with extended vocal towards the end.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 07:47:30 AM »

They're trying to make money.  Likely; they will make a ton more money off of Paris Hilton's single (which is all over the radio, all over mtv, etc.) than they will off of a single that's been released in about 15 other places over the last 40 years. 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 07:50:07 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2086.0.html

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »

know what's sad? Wal-Mart doesn't even have it. And I checked F.Y.E (For Your Entertainment) I hate living in West Virginia when it comes to BB/BW releases,  LOL

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »

I work for an independent store and our one-stop claims they were supposed to have had them on the 21st but they still do not have them. Our sales rep said they had ordered 240 copies, and had received pre-orders 115 copies so far. I pre-ordered 5 copies for our store, but still a no-show.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 08:53:03 AM »

Wasn't at Best Buy yesterday.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »

so did FYE have it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »

so did FYE have it?

I called both FYE stores in my town and neither of them had it in.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 11:54:40 AM »

Went to my local Borders today…still no sign of the single. I can’t find it anywhere. I think this is a conspiracy.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »

If it's any help to my fellow U.K. buds, we're getting it on July 3rd and it's available to pre-order as an import from amazon.co.uk

.. priced at £9.99!

Ouch.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx