gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680795 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:32:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dixie Cups and ‘Chapel of Love’  (Read 1400 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »

"The songwriters, producers and musicians behind ‘Chapel of Love’ explain why it wasn’t the Crystals’ version or the Ronettes’ recording but the Dixie Cups’ charmer that topped the charts for three weeks in June 1964"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dixie-cups-and-chapel-of-love-1434472856?tesla=y

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »

Cool story. It's interesting how things come together like that. Very fascinating. I had no idea about the Red Bird record label either. I always loved seeing the red bird with a guitar while scrounging for records.  Smiley
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:13:25 AM »

In Ronnie Spector's autobiography she says she and the other Ronettes were convinced it would be a smash if Phil released their version, and they were mad at him when he didn't.
I think the Dixie Cups did it better though.
First time I heard this song properly it was the Jonathan Richman/Spitballs version which is very different! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vv48KzMFtA

Please delete my account
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:44:24 AM »

Great little article. Thanks for that, R.

I like the comment by Paul Dacher: "Yes, there was a time marriage was the subject of pop songs. And producers knew what a celeste is."  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SBonilla
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »

It occurred to me some time ago that Chapel Of Love had a fair amount of influence on Brian. The horn break he uses in the lead up to the bridge of Wouldn't It Be Nice sounds very much inspired by the horn break in Chapel Of Love, the one leading into the second verse.

And maybe this is stretching it a bit, but I hear melodic phrases in the celeste part at the end of Chapel that hint at things like the descending glockenspiel and muted guitar notes in Surf's Up and the short ascending/descending chromatic phrase used in Wind Chimes/Can't Wait Too Long.

Even the instrumental figure leading up to the chorus of Help Me Rhonda sounds like it's adapting Chapel Of Love's vocal melody at , 'gee, I really love  you and we're'

This is what I hear.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:33:21 AM by Olmec Donald » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx