gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 162946 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »

"Honeycomb" and "I'm Broke", Seattle July 12

https://youtu.be/fQWi6jzK220

Very rough but love them!
I could listen to Brian trying out songs all day.

Do we witness the evolution of Brian's Rock and Roll album....finally?  Grin
Boy, talk about surprises

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 14, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

A couple of thoughts from being there right in front of Al during these 2 songs (esp. I'm Broke).  Its tough pulling stuff off new live songs anyway, but when your 70+ and trying to do it with not enough practice, they did come off ragged.  Al has a tendency to start pointing everywhere (like to Brian) when mistakes are made.  What the video did not show at the end (an extra 10 seconds would have caught it). Was Al frustrated with the last high note he missed and then pointing to Matt in the back left corner thanking him for covering him on the last bar of the song that both he and Brian both missed badly on.

Everyone I get it.  There not perfect and neither are any of us.  I said on a post a month ago when the new rock & roll album was being discussed, that I felt Brian's band was 100% up to the task....not only for the studio work but also taking these songs out on another tour if this album even comes to fruition.

What was neat about the other night was how happy Brian seemed.  My wife is a therapist and has been burdened with my Beach Boys love since 1973.  At breakfast the next morning she said this entire year probably has been very therapudic to Brian as he's been able to somewhat come to terms with the ugliness that occurred in his life, which in turn can lead to emotional happiness AND maybe more energy to keep on going for a while.  If it takes listening to the goofy BW and making silly mistakes on stage for us to see another tour in the future...I'm all in.  As I said in my post concert post, I did feel a bit sorry as I saw him struggle on stage trying to remember stuff.

Lastly a GREAT review today in the Seattle Times entertainment section on the show.  Will post the review later......100% positive
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 14, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »

I was also at the Seattle show; so happy I finally got to see him! There is something really beatuiful/haunting about seeing a large band play Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains live, there's such a spooky energy in H&V live, it was awesome. However, I couldn't help but notice some odd moments, maybe others can help shed light on them.

One was Rodriguez; he either seemed very drunk or perhaps he's just getting a bit old and rambly. He said he was turning 75 at least twice, as well as saying"I'm as happy as a Beach Boy" and "Brian should have a Vegas show" twice. There was also a weird moment where he kept muttering about how the sound was off and he would strum his guitar and mutter to himself again, doing this for a solid minute. Maybe he was just joking around and I wasn't reading it?

Brian sounded great, his voice reminded me a little bit of "Orange Crate Art" music, but I never had a problem with that album anyway, and he seemed to be enjoying himself, making banter in between songs. However, when intriducing "Darlin'" as being sung by Carl, saying, "Carl died of... He died in 1998." Is it possible he forgot what his brother died of...? Also, I noticed that when he introduced "Surf's Up", he didn't say the name of the song, and then during the song, when Matt Jardine started to sing, "Surf's up, mmm...", Brian just hummed through it and then sang the next set of lyrics. Does he maybe have a weird association with the name of the song? Totally possible I'm looking way too much into everything, curious if anyone else had noticed any of this. Also, don't get me wrong, still an amazing, powerful show, and so glad I finally got an opportunity to see him.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 14, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »

It took me a few minutes to place the song during soundcheck. It sounded like a rock n roll clsssic.

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »

I was also at the Seattle show; so happy I finally got to see him! There is something really beatuiful/haunting about seeing a large band play Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains live, there's such a spooky energy in H&V live, it was awesome. However, I couldn't help but notice some odd moments, maybe others can help shed light on them.

One was Rodriguez; he either seemed very drunk or perhaps he's just getting a bit old and rambly. He said he was turning 75 at least twice, as well as saying"I'm as happy as a Beach Boy" and "Brian should have a Vegas show" twice. There was also a weird moment where he kept muttering about how the sound was off and he would strum his guitar and mutter to himself again, doing this for a solid minute. Maybe he was just joking around and I wasn't reading it?

Brian sounded great, his voice reminded me a little bit of "Orange Crate Art" music, but I never had a problem with that album anyway, and he seemed to be enjoying himself, making banter in between songs. However, when intriducing "Darlin'" as being sung by Carl, saying, "Carl died of... He died in 1998." Is it possible he forgot what his brother died of...? Also, I noticed that when he introduced "Surf's Up", he didn't say the name of the song, and then during the song, when Matt Jardine started to sing, "Surf's up, mmm...", Brian just hummed through it and then sang the next set of lyrics. Does he maybe have a weird association with the name of the song? Totally possible I'm looking way too much into everything, curious if anyone else had noticed any of this. Also, don't get me wrong, still an amazing, powerful show, and so glad I finally got an opportunity to see him.

Jake, your right on about Surf's Up.  I didn't have the heart to say it in my earlier posts that the error on Surf's Up was really bad, hearing Brian hum the entire verse.  You could immediately tell things went bad as the entire band turned their heads toward Brian.  The rest of the song was really nice.   Didn't want to bring up the negative on SU as a lot of people on the board are following how both groups are doing on that particular song.   Matt Jardine on the falsetto all evening was a treat to hear in person.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »

Yeah, for a split second at the concert I was confused... no Surf's Up in Surf's Up? :S

I found a video of Busy Doing Nothing / Surf's Up. They had a balcony seat, so you can see everyone in the band Smiley. I do like how he tells you to listen to the lyrics of SU...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoubC1n3WZA
In this recording you can close your eyes and almost imagine Matt is Brian. Watching this video gives me the chills. What a voice.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 14, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

Yeah, for a split second at the concert I was confused... no Surf's Up in Surf's Up? :S

I found a video of Busy Doing Nothing / Surf's Up. They had a balcony seat, so you can see everyone in the band Smiley. I do like how he tells you to listen to the lyrics of SU...
In this recording you can close your eyes and almost imagine Matt is Brian. Watching this video gives me the chills. What a voice.

Well, he does introduce Surf's Up, and he doesn't hum through the whole verse. Just that one lyric.

Brian sounds really good with Matt on "While at port adieu or die."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:39:12 PM by startBBtoday » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 14, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »

Well, he does introduce Surf's Up, and he doesn't hum through the whole verse. Just that one lyric.

Brian sounds really good with Matt on "While at port adieu or die."

My bad   typed verse meant lyric........up close in person it was rather obvious.   Yes and Matt did a fine job all nite whether covering or on his own with Don't Worry baby
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 15, 2015, 05:37:52 AM »

Maybe he's got studio time booked this fall for the Rock n' Roll album, and that is the reason he cancelled his UK tour.
KDS
« Reply #634 on: July 15, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »

I think Brian's forgetfulness on stage is largely due to his stage freight.  Even when he seems relaxed, his banter seems a little frenetic and rushed. 

So, I don't think there's really anything wrong with him. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:55 AM »

I don’t want to make any assumptions, but your observations of a few of Brian’s tics tells me you would be more acclimated to it if you had seen him in concert in the past. Nothing you’re noting is really particularly out of the ordinary for him. I’ve seen Brian do some weird (in comparison to a “typical” concert) stuff on stage. I won’t go into all the same stories I’ve told over the ten or so times I’ve seen Brian live, but what you’re describing is just how he is. Some of it may be stage fright, some of it may be due to being either too tired or too amped up. Some of it is just because that’s his personality.

I’d say the same thing about Rodriguez. The guy is, I believe, the exact same age as Brian, and that guy apparently has been though some interesting stuff in his life too. He’s also apparently going blind/nearly blind at this stage, so that may account for some of his on-stage persona. On opening night, he also did the mumbly in-between-song thing. I think that’s just how he is. Seriously, having seen Brian so many times, I’ve seen Brian act weirder on stage that anything Rodriguez did.

And that’s not to be negative about Brian. I’ve known his deal since the first time I saw him in 1999; I knew it would be a little weird, a little awkward from time to time. His shows have always still been amazing, and I’d say his 2015 energy and persona are among his most upbeat/energetic I’ve *ever* seen him on stage. That’s saying something considering he’s 73 now and more upbeat than the first time I saw him when he was 57.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »

After they opened with "Our Prayer" and segued into "Heroes and Villains," Brian stopped the procedures, because "the sound was not right." While people frantically changed mics etc.. Al Jardine quipped "So much for rehearsal, Brian." Scott and Darian Sahanjana seemed to get a kick out of all that. Then, the show continued.
I thought it was the prompter that was out of position at the top of the show.  Either way, I got a kick out of it.  Brian was quite animated through the whole show...
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 15, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

I don’t want to make any assumptions, but your observations of a few of Brian’s tics tells me you would be more acclimated to it if you had seen him in concert in the past. Nothing you’re noting is really particularly out of the ordinary for him. I’ve seen Brian do some weird (in comparison to a “typical” concert) stuff on stage. I won’t go into all the same stories I’ve told over the ten or so times I’ve seen Brian live, but what you’re describing is just how he is. Some of it may be stage fright, some of it may be due to being either too tired or too amped up. Some of it is just because that’s his personality.

I’d say the same thing about Rodriguez. The guy is, I believe, the exact same age as Brian, and that guy apparently has been though some interesting stuff in his life too. He’s also apparently going blind/nearly blind at this stage, so that may account for some of his on-stage persona. On opening night, he also did the mumbly in-between-song thing. I think that’s just how he is. Seriously, having seen Brian so many times, I’ve seen Brian act weirder on stage that anything Rodriguez did.

And that’s not to be negative about Brian. I’ve known his deal since the first time I saw him in 1999; I knew it would be a little weird, a little awkward from time to time. His shows have always still been amazing, and I’d say his 2015 energy and persona are among his most upbeat/energetic I’ve *ever* seen him on stage. That’s saying something considering he’s 73 now and more upbeat than the first time I saw him when he was 57.

Awesome, thanks for some clarification, sorta had that feeling; still an awesome show!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: July 15, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »

Wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but went ahead and snagged tickets for the September 11th show at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco. They had already billed Brian and Al, but it looks like they just added Blondie to the billing as well.

Saw Brian there in 2004 on the "Smile" tour. I prefer outdoor venues (nice ones of course), and not having to haul my carcass into "the city", but I couldn't pass it up.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 15, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »

just grabbed some sf tickets too! its a lovely venue next to some of my favorite bars! there's still tons of good seats left!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:35 PM »

The "it's not over... not over" in the middle of Surf's Up fits it so well.

Obviously he was consciously experimenting with the 'surf's up mmhmm mmhmm' melody. Nothing strange about it. It's live and he can sing anything however he wants.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:12:26 PM by puni puni » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »

It's the loosest a BB related band has been probably since 1980? Maybe even mid 70s.  Jams, trying things in the set like Honeycomb and I'm Broke that had never been done, and changing the arrangement along the way.  All that went out the window after Dennis died and you got more of that packaged oldies tribute band presentation.  Mostly tight, kinda boring at times. Same arrangements.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:07:12 AM by tpesky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »

Another new show date, for October 10th in New York. So far, after the final two summer dates on July 24/25, we have two additional dates on the schedule:

September 11 - Davies Symphony Hall - San Francisco, CA
October 10 - Seneca Allegany Events Center - Salamanca, NY

Both Al and Blondie are scheduled for SF, while only Al so far is listed for the NY gig.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2015, 04:41:34 PM »

Anybody, besides me, going to the July 25th show?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »

I'll be there in spirit ^_^

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 16, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »

Or from the shadows as billyman.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: July 16, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »

I was about to ask if anyone was going to either of the last two summer shows. Please report setlist and other details!

Anyone here going to the Canadian date on the 24th?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 16, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

I was about to ask if anyone was going to either of the last two summer shows. Please report setlist and other details!

Last shows of a tour can be special. Then again, Brian is playing aa show the night before in a different Country. He may be tired.

In any event, I will file a report and note any special additions to the setlist.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 16, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »

Last shows of a tour can be special. Then again, Brian is playing aa show the night before in a different Country. He may be tired.

In any event, I will file a report and note any special additions to the setlist.

Unfortunately that show was announced AFTER I had bought my plane tickets. I'll be flying out 2 days beforehand  Sad

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 16, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »

Unfortunately that show was announced AFTER I had bought my plane tickets. I'll be flying out 2 days beforehand  Sad
That is a bummer! Atleast you caught them in Seattle.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx