gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:57:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 163730 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »

It's interesting to consider...what if Al appeared with Mike on the same terms that David Marks does? Obviously it wouldn't happen, but if it were to be the current circumstances...what would we hear?

He'd definitely take back his roles on "Help Me Rhonda" and "Then I Kissed Her"...but would he get any additions? "California Saga"...maybe take the lead on "Wouldn't it Be Nice"? I can't see too much else fitting into their typical setlist.

There was some discussion about this last year when it looked like Al might do the Jones Beach gig with Mike. If Al regularly toured with Mike, I would imagine eventually he might worm a song selection or two of his own into the setlist, maybe for something like the extended UK shows. But yeah, by and large, he'd probably be *less* prominent in a Mike show than at Brian's shows. He'd take back a few leads.

We do know based on the eventual Jones Beach setlist and show length that that wasn't even going to be a super long show. It had other acts on the bill and probably a curfew, so they definitely wouldn't have worked any unique Al stuff into the setlist. Dave did the gig, and he wasn't prominently featured either.

I do think Al would make Mike's band better. Something Al really brings to Brian's band, especially since 2013, is a key voice in the vocal blend. I recall him being a little more tentative in his participation in the harmony blend during his 2006/2007 shows with Brian. But now his voice really is that tipping point that makes it sound like the Beach Boys. I think this would just as easily benefit Mike's band if Al appeared there.

But I certainly feel like Al is a much better fit for Brian's band, and after a 2006/2007 stint which seemed to be imbued with a bit more politics and whatnot, I think Al truly does actually comfort Brian. He does kind of serve a little bit of Foskett's old "wing man" role.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

Totally agree. In my opinion right at this moment in time, Al Jardine is the most important living Beach Boy on stage.

If Al and Dave could tour with Mike and Bruce full time as "The Beach Boys", Mike could easily dismiss Foskett (Ike & Scott have the falsetto covered)...and in a dream world, Brian Wilson would fit back into the equation when health/schedules suited!  LOL But seriously.....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: July 11, 2015, 01:13:27 AM »

I also like the wee 'improvement they made to Barbara Ann.

As in... not playing it ?  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 11, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »

Just got to Seattle for the show tomorrow - immediately bumped into Blondie and got him to sign the copy of Surfs Up I brought with me

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »

Shocked whatttt. That's pretty cool.  My friends saw the members of a band we were going to see at a local poster shop but I wasn't with them Sad
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:56:48 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »

Also got to chat with Probyn and Bob lizik. I'd heard so many stories about how warm members of the BW are to fans, so I wasnt too nervous going up and saying hi. They really are lovely people.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »

Brian's show in Salt Lake was wonderful. I was over the moon hearing he and Al sing Surfs Up and I got to hear Busy Doin Nothing... live... Add Blondie to the mix and I had to pinch myself. I recorded the audio of nearly the whole concert. Loved every second.

Rodriguez was ok. Nice diverse set of covers and a few originals. He does a great Bob Dylan impersonation.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »

They soundcheckesd I'm Broke.

Yes. Just YES

There was also a moment where he made sure his piano just as loud as Scott and Darians
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:28:12 PM by Woodstock » Logged

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 12, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

Yes. Just YES

There was also a moment where he made sure his piano just as loud as Scott and Darians
Will be there in an hour.....how does BW mood seem this evening ?  I'll be in the 5th row behind you meet and greets with my black and blue BW hat on.  Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!   
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 12, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

Yes. Just YES

Will be there in an hour.....how does BW mood seem this evening ?  I'll be in the 5th row behind you meet and greets with my black and blue BW hat on.  Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!  

Very happy and VERY in control. I found out from the band that they started planning the song last night. Brian was handing out parts and it all came together incredibly quickly. The acoustics is this place are beautiful BTW.

Expect the best show you could expect  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 12, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »

YES! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: July 12, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

I also like the wee 'improvement they made to Barbara Ann.

As in... not playing it ?  Cheesy

That would be best.  I mean really.

But.  In the US it's their 5th highest charting hit ever 1 notch below I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations and Kokomo.  Everthing else... ... ...follows.

So?  We know nuttin' Andrew. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

Yes. Just YES

Will be there in an hour.....how does BW mood seem this evening ?  I'll be in the 5th row behind you meet and greets with my black and blue BW hat on.  Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!  

Very happy and VERY in control. I found out from the band that they started planning the song last night. Brian was handing out parts and it all came together incredibly quickly. The acoustics is this place are beautiful BTW.

Expect the best show you could expect  Grin

Great acoustics....start out with Our Prayer.....Its going to be a very fun evening......wishing now I had bought the meet and greet/soundcheck !!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 12, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »

Yes. Just YES

Wow. That's insane. Of all the officially released songs Brian has, he chooses that to play.

I want to hear Brian and Al tackle "Crack At Your Love."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »

Holy moly. That's really special.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "I'm broke"?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »

PT -- "I'm Broke" is a song that, according to "Brian's" "autobiography," he wrote after the big trial to separate him and Landy. Which is strange because Gary Usher, who died two years earlier, mentioned it in his diaries he took when he worked with Brian circa 1986-1988.

Here's the song, as recorded circa 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fywmY52r0

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 12, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "I'm broke"?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=1136.0

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 12, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »

Thanks you two. I hadn't heard this song before.  Smiley
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 12, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »

Just got back from tonight's show! I have to study for a test (on basic music theory, no less), so maybe I'll throw out a review or something later.
I will say I had the biggest smile (no pun intended) when they came on stage and played Our Prayer/HV. And I teared up during Surf's Up.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 13, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »

Well everyone....just back from the Seattle show.  My daughter and I were 5th row center with just a great view of the entire stage.  It was my first concert at the Benaroya Hall and WOW, as Woodstock said earlier during the soundcheck, the acoustics were just fantastic. Maybe because this was the last stop before a 2 week break on the tour, the band had an electricity about them tonite I hadn't seen before in the prior 3 BW shows I've seen since 2011 (BW-Gershwin 2011 in St. Charles Ill.  BW-Ravinnia Chicago   BW-BAD 2013 Akron Ohio).  Everyone and especially Brian seemed stoked.  Brian so much as he almost seemed goofy and confused most of the night.  Actually was at times tripping over his words and lost as he talked too much (yes I know hard to believe). 

Other positives.  Blondie just effin ROCKED.  Wild Honey was fantastic with Blonde's riffs late in the song as he pranced all around the stage.  For you Brits...he was almost "Mick-like" as he was moving around.  I've read everyone's comments over the past year about Jeff Foskett vs Matt Jardine.  Well folks, I heard the winner tonite.  Coming from Matt, the falsetto is MUCH less forced and seems really natural on the high end notes.  He did a GREAT job on Don't Worry Baby and the audience went nuts.  Also he did a fine job covering his old man when AL couldn't quite hit the high notes on I'm Broke.  It was rather funny actually as said earlier on the thread , they put this together today.....and yes it sounded like a student unprepared for his final exam.  Al was wonderful on all his leads and "Right Time" was VERY well received by the Seattle crowd.  Sadly the Seattle crowd was so respectful of others behind them, it took the egging from Scott Bennett to get people to finally stand up mid way through the concert.  The entire back row of guys was FULLY engaged all night.  I am always amazed at the energy Nelson puts in on concert night.   Tonight the dude was nuts.  Over the top in a completely positive way making the sound "sound" like it just came from the studio !!!.  Nick was nuts tonight.  I have never seen him put so much energy into a show like he did tonight.  His energy seemed infectious, and with Paul and Nelson on each side, the entire stage seemed electric.

So Brian.  I was pumped when Woodstock said during Sound check that Brian was animated and relaxed. And wow, I've never EVER seen Brian like this.  Totally relaxed to a fault where he came across as really goofy to the crowd.  Yes I get it, its BW, but at times he really struggled with names in the band and remembering stuff...like the name of his album NPP.  I guess I just felt sorry for him a bit......because I love him so much it hurt seeing him confused a bit.

On a scale of 10 I give it an 8+.  The sound guys were off a bit as some of the mics weren't turned up until a 1/4 into the song, especially for Al.  I dunno, maybe being so close, 5th row, the sound went around us.  But nothing better than enjoying an evening with my daughter at a BW show.  And Love and Mercy at the end had tears in my eyes.  Just love those lyrics.  Typical encore with All Summer Long,  Help ME Rhonda, Surfin USA, Barabara Ann, and FUN Fun Fun.  With Love and Mercy at the end.

I do miss Jeff Foskett's introduction of the band.  He does have more of a show business intro than Paul von Merten's.  Strictly personal preference on my part.
And his  B-R-I-A-N   W-I-L-S-O-N  intro is the best.

Lastly I do truly hope this isn't the last time I get to see him.  Yes he looks old.  But he does seem a bit rejuvenated....maybe the new album....maybe the accolades from the movie.  But he seemed very with it at times tonight.  Yes goofy,  yes confused    but its BW in concert, what more do we want.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #596 on: July 13, 2015, 05:29:08 AM »

" Yes I get it, its BW, but at times he really struggled with names in the band and remembering stuff...like the name of his album NPP."

Bit concerning.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »

" Yes I get it, its BW, but at times he really struggled with names in the band and remembering stuff...like the name of his album NPP."

Bit concerning.

He’s been doing stuff like that for decades. That doesn’t particularly worry me, any more so than any of his weird behavior over the last several decades has. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: July 13, 2015, 06:27:29 AM »

Coming from Matt, the falsetto is MUCH less forced and seems really natural on the high end notes.  He did a GREAT job on Don't Worry Baby and the audience went nuts.  Also he did a fine job covering his old man when AL couldn't quite hit the high notes on I'm Broke.  It was rather funny actually as said earlier on the thread , they put this together today.....and yes it sounded like a student unprepared for his final exam. 

So they did perform “I’m Broke” during the actual show, and Al sang the lead? Very interesting. Hope someone got that one on video for YouTube. I could equally see them add that into the setlist for future shows, or that we’ll never hear it again!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 13, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »

PT -- "I'm Broke" is a song that, according to "Brian's" "autobiography," he wrote after the big trial to separate him and Landy. Which is strange because Gary Usher, who died two years earlier, mentioned it in his diaries he took when he worked with Brian circa 1986-1988.

Here's the song, as recorded circa 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fywmY52r0

I haven’t seen it in quite some time, but I recall that Brian also goes into “I’m Broke” on that “Hotel Tape” video from July 1990 with Bruce, Foskett, and Stamos.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx