gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:09:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 162964 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

Eclaim.ca Music Concert Review
Brian Wilson
Danforth Music Hall, Toronto ON, July 4
By Thierry Côté
Published Jul 05, 2015

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/brian_wilson-danforth_music_hall_toronto_on_july_4

Same thing I noticed on night 2 of the tour in San Diego, and others have mentioned as well, "he has never seemed more at peace on stage".

John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »

Tonight in Detroit was the 11th BW solo show I have attended. And, it was...without question...the absolute best one I have ever seen. From the moment they walked onstage, I could tell it was going to a great night. Brian opened by saying "It's great to be in the Motor City.....Black and White by Three Dog Night!!!!!" Then, into Our Prayer...and off to the races!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

Just got home from Detroit.  Great show.  Tired.  Have to be up at 6:00...which is 5 hours from now...so...to be continued.  I have my doubts that I'll get to see Brian perform another live show.  There may well be another album...but a tour that'll venture anywhere near me again?  I don't think so.  The UK next year?  As much as Brian might 'prefer' to honour the commitment...I don't know that he'll be able to do it.

The poor guy needs help onto and off of the stage.  [as did Rodriquez...who was also quite the entertainer.]

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to catch Brian on THIS tour.  Really.  The grains of sand left in THIS hourglass are running really low.
---------------------

ps...Ran into Doo Dah.  Nice.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:06:13 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: July 05, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »

I'm sorry to add negativity to this thread but here goes:

I missed the Detroit show.  I had the wrong date on my calendar.  Since I can't fly anywhere else to see him, I probably missed the only opportunity to meet the man.  I'm really sad and heartbroken.  They all mean so much to me and not being able to shake Wilson's hand really hurts me deeply.  Did anyone film the show or record audio of it?  That would ease a little bit of my pain right now.  I apologize for spoiling the fun fun fun.   Cry
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: July 06, 2015, 01:22:49 AM »

I'm curious if more US shows will be announced for the fall.

But surely there can't be, as they would conflict with those important "commitments" that caused the UK tour to be pulled.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 06, 2015, 05:39:49 AM »

But surely there can't be, as they would conflict with those important "commitments" that caused the UK tour to be pulled.

There isn't anything that could be MORE important than adding more US shows

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: July 06, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »

I’m not defending the abrupt, under-explained cancelation of the UK dates, but I could easily see *more* US dates as a justification (whether a valid one or not). A “need” to promote the film further in the US could include touring to promote it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:07 AM »

Just got home from Detroit.  Great show.  Tired.  Have to be up at 6:00...which is 5 hours from now...so...to be continued.  I have my doubts that I'll get to see Brian perform another live show.  There may well be another album...but a tour that'll venture anywhere near me again?  I don't think so.  The UK next year?  As much as Brian might 'prefer' to honour the commitment...I don't know that he'll be able to do it.

The poor guy needs help onto and off of the stage.  [as did Rodriquez...who was also quite the entertainer.]

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to catch Brian on THIS tour.  Really.  The grains of sand left in THIS hourglass are running really low.
---------------------

ps...Ran into Doo Dah.  Nice.

Apparently, their reasons for needing help on and off the stage are different. Brian has back issues, while I’ve read that Rodriguez is suffering from glaucoma and is partially/nearly blind at this stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »

There isn't anything that could be MORE important than adding more US shows
Yes, there is.  Rest for his back.  I can't even imagine a transatlantic flight with that back.  I cringed watching him helped off the stage for the encore, watching every pain-laden step.  Add Some's post from last night indicates it might not be much better.

It isn't the first time a rock tour or segment has been cancelled or postponed, and I truly empathize. I held a Maharishi tour ticket.  Show cancelled "hours" prior to the show.  I still haven't decided if I going to forgive them...a 15 year old with a front row ticket.

Maybe I should.   LOL

But, I do bet the tour will be rebooked. He loves the UK.  Love
KDS
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2015, 06:26:12 AM »

I’m not defending the abrupt, under-explained cancelation of the UK dates, but I could easily see *more* US dates as a justification (whether a valid one or not). A “need” to promote the film further in the US could include touring to promote it.

Those are valid points.  

But the UK Tour was relatively short.  If there were going to be more US shows added, I would think they could have been scheduled for Fall, when the UK Tour ends.  

But, it's all speculation right now until September comes.  
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 06, 2015, 07:49:56 AM »

I'm sorry to add negativity to this thread but here goes:

I missed the Detroit show.  I had the wrong date on my calendar.  Since I can't fly anywhere else to see him, I probably missed the only opportunity to meet the man.  I'm really sad and heartbroken.  They all mean so much to me and not being able to shake Wilson's hand really hurts me deeply.  Did anyone film the show or record audio of it?  That would ease a little bit of my pain right now.  I apologize for spoiling the fun fun fun.   Cry

Detroit's only a few hours away from the Ravinia show in Chicago tonight, if you feel like taking a drive.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 06, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »

Fox Theatre, Detroit, Michigan - July 5, 2015

I made the drive from Grand Rapids to Detroit and arrived early due to warnings about construction and the afternoon Tigers game possibly causing delays. Unfortunately, I was unable to buy the soundcheck and meet & greet package, both due to cash considerations and waiting too long and it no longer being available when I finally was ready to bite the bullet. Instead, I was behind the venue as the tour buses arrived between 2:30-3:30pm. There were maybe 4-5 of us back there, the others were "fans" but did not have tickets for the show that night (but stacks of LPs to have signed). They yelled, "Hey, Blondie, please sign?!?!?" to Darian, which he just ignored until I said "Hi, Darian!"--he pointed and smiled. Brian was sitting right up front in his tour bus, so it was easy to spot him when he came in. The bus pulled right next to the stage door (behind a huge gated fence) and he gingerly walked in with to helpers at his side. Al and Blondie were on the same bus, Blondie said he would come out later to sign and Al just looked disgusted with the suggestion to come over to sign.

At that point, I figured my best shot at meeting any of them was after the concert. I grabbed some dinner and walked back to the venue just as the soundcheck and meet & greet was letting out. I saw a lot of lanyards/passes signed, a Pet Sounds LP only signed by Brian, and a Smile LP signed by Brian, Al and Blondie??? (editorial comment: it always bothers me when one of the Beach Boys signs an LP that they are not featured on, whether it be Al, Dave, Bruce or Blondie--no your BB history!).

Around 6:30pm is when I bumped into Scott on the street outside the venue. I said, "Hi, I'm really looking forward to the show tonight." That's when he replied something to the fact that it should be great and we are excited to play Detroit. Then he offered, "I have a bit of a cold. I hope I don't/didn't pass it to Brian." I can't remember exactly how he phrased it, but it definitely took be aback considering he was a little raspy/hoarse.

I went in the venue a little before the stated doors at 7:00pm. Here is a quick photo of the merch (as stated before, they had the signed LP for $75, the signed CD for $25 and the signed lyrics litho for $75--going by memory):

None of the shirts really appealed to me. I already have the signed LP and I really didn't need another copy of NPP on CD (though I was tempted). I know this is a Brian Wilson show, but how about some retro merch that doesn't even say Beach Boys? (i.e. Brother Records logo t-shirts, "Help Me Rhonda" 3/4 sleeve that Brian made famous, etc.).

As for the show, the venue was absolutely beautiful, I had never been to the Fox Theatre before, and I had front row seats in the mezzanine:

If there were any fears due to Scott's comments earlier, let me put them to rest, as Brian was an excellent voice and was smiling a lot on stage. I didn't take setlist notes, as I wanted to enjoy myself, but I think it was almost identical to what was played in Toronto.

Highlights for me:

Heroes & Villains
I Get Around
California Saga
In My Room (Brian sounded great)
Surfer Girl (same)
Don't Worry Baby (as noted before, Matt does an incredible job)
Blondie's mini set seriously rocks
Surf's Up (intro'd by Brian as being "20 years long, not really, it's about 3 minutes, but it feels like 20 years"--at the conclusion, he said something to the effect of "I toldya it feels 20 years long")
God Only Knows (personally, for me, as it is my favorite song, but could tell it was getting later in the concert and his voice was starting to give a little)

Al, Matt and Blondie bring so much to the table. I'm glad I was able to see this tour. Overall, an amazing experience. If I could tweak anything, it would be to drop Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe and add another Blondie tune in their place.

Being in the balcony/mezzanine was a trip, all of the rockers/hits made the my seat and floor vibrate and I could see the rail in front of me moving up and down. I would say the venue was 85% full with the upper third of the balcony essentially empty. Here are some photos from during the show (best I could do with an iPhone):

After the show I raced to the back of the venue, where there was a bigger contingency that earlier in the day waiting for photos, autographs. Brian had already left on my bus (must have been two minutes at the most since the final note of Love & Mercy). Blondie came out and, true to his word, signed for a good five minutes. No chance for photos due to the giant gated fence. I think I was the only person to get him on something he actually contributed to (aside from tickets and scraps of paper):

When he handed it back to me, I thought he forgot to sign or used a dead sharpie, turned it over and he signed the back. I like it! Kicking myself for not buying Holland or In Concert on vinyl ahead of the show, but thrilled to come away with anything. Al was a bit sour, again, after the show. Had a bottle of wine in his hand and a scowl on his face. I don't know if he feels burned by the eBay types, but it's simple enough to do one per person or at least acknowledge the fans and say thanks for coming out. I'm a huge Al Jardine fan, but left disappointed by his demeanor yesterday afternoon and last night.

I'm hoping this isn't the last time Brian is in the Detroit/Chicago region. He certainly walked gingerly across the stage, but he seemed very happy and sounded amazing. His backing band was absolutely on point. Well worth the money and effort to see him!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 06, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »

Brian needed help during the C50 shows too -- and he's done two tours since then.

Frankly, the organizers need to simply look out for him more -- he should not be playing four shows in four days. Go back to the way they did the shows back in 99 -- one or two shows, then one or two days off.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:26:17 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: July 06, 2015, 08:14:35 AM »

I take it no new setlist additions for Detroit?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »

unless they ARE the commitments.......
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:21 AM »

Brian needed help during the C50 shows too -- and he's done two tours since then.

Frankly, the organizers need to simply look out for him more -- he should not be playing four shows in four days. Go back to the way they did the shows back in 99 -- one or two shows, the one or two days off.

Also worth noting, and this depends on the stage setup and venue, a concert stage and stage area isn't the same as a random room. There are sometimes a myriad of amps, monitors, cables, and steps that can make even a steady person trip and fall. Brian may well need some help due to his back and his age, but they may also be going to every extreme possible to not have him trip on a cable and knock himself out hitting his head on the corner of Blondie's amp or something.

That actually reminds me of a story going all the way back to the 2001 Paul Simon tour. As I was waiting for Brian's set to begin, I could see him kind of just pacing and back forth behind the stage. Literally from left to right, right to left. Not sure if he was bored or looking for someone or something. At one point, he clearly tripped on a cable or something. He just tripped and stumbled, obviously didn't fall or anything, and just stopped and looked back at what he had tripped on. It was kind of a visually funny moment; Brian seemed strangely bemused about it.  LOL

Long story short, if someone already has even slight mobility issues, (or vision issues in the case of Rodriguez), they would understandably be extra careful even when the person may not always need quite that much support.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »

Fox Theatre, Detroit, Michigan - July 5, 2015

I made the drive from Grand Rapids to Detroit and arrived early due to warnings about construction and the afternoon Tigers game possibly causing delays. Unfortunately, I was unable to buy the soundcheck and meet & greet package, both due to cash considerations and waiting too long and it no longer being available when I finally was ready to bite the bullet. Instead, I was behind the venue as the tour buses arrived between 2:30-3:30pm. There were maybe 4-5 of us back there, the others were "fans" but did not have tickets for the show that night (but stacks of LPs to have signed). They yelled, "Hey, Blondie, please sign?!?!?" to Darian, which he just ignored until I said "Hi, Darian!"--he pointed and smiled. Brian was sitting right up front in his tour bus, so it was easy to spot him when he came in. The bus pulled right next to the stage door (behind a huge gated fence) and he gingerly walked in with to helpers at his side. Al and Blondie were on the same bus, Blondie said he would come out later to sign and Al just looked disgusted with the suggestion to come over to sign.

At that point, I figured my best shot at meeting any of them was after the concert. I grabbed some dinner and walked back to the venue just as the soundcheck and meet & greet was letting out. I saw a lot of lanyards/passes signed, a Pet Sounds LP only signed by Brian, and a Smile LP signed by Brian, Al and Blondie??? (editorial comment: it always bothers me when one of the Beach Boys signs an LP that they are not featured on, whether it be Al, Dave, Bruce or Blondie--no your BB history!).

Around 6:30pm is when I bumped into Scott on the street outside the venue. I said, "Hi, I'm really looking forward to the show tonight." That's when he replied something to the fact that it should be great and we are excited to play Detroit. Then he offered, "I have a bit of a cold. I hope I don't/didn't pass it to Brian." I can't remember exactly how he phrased it, but it definitely took be aback considering he was a little raspy/hoarse.

I went in the venue a little before the stated doors at 7:00pm. Here is a quick photo of the merch (as stated before, they had the signed LP for $75, the signed CD for $25 and the signed lyrics litho for $75--going by memory):

None of the shirts really appealed to me. I already have the signed LP and I really didn't need another copy of NPP on CD (though I was tempted). I know this is a Brian Wilson show, but how about some retro merch that doesn't even say Beach Boys? (i.e. Brother Records logo t-shirts, "Help Me Rhonda" 3/4 sleeve that Brian made famous, etc.).

As for the show, the venue was absolutely beautiful, I had never been to the Fox Theatre before, and I had front row seats in the mezzanine:

If there were any fears due to Scott's comments earlier, let me put them to rest, as Brian was an excellent voice and was smiling a lot on stage. I didn't take setlist notes, as I wanted to enjoy myself, but I think it was almost identical to what was played in Toronto.

Highlights for me:

Heroes & Villains
I Get Around
California Saga
In My Room (Brian sounded great)
Surfer Girl (same)
Don't Worry Baby (as noted before, Matt does an incredible job)
Blondie's mini set seriously rocks
Surf's Up (intro'd by Brian as being "20 years long, not really, it's about 3 minutes, but it feels like 20 years"--at the conclusion, he said something to the effect of "I toldya it feels 20 years long")
God Only Knows (personally, for me, as it is my favorite song, but could tell it was getting later in the concert and his voice was starting to give a little)

Al, Matt and Blondie bring so much to the table. I'm glad I was able to see this tour. Overall, an amazing experience. If I could tweak anything, it would be to drop Shut Down and Little Deuce Coupe and add another Blondie tune in their place.

Being in the balcony/mezzanine was a trip, all of the rockers/hits made the my seat and floor vibrate and I could see the rail in front of me moving up and down. I would say the venue was 85% full with the upper third of the balcony essentially empty. Here are some photos from during the show (best I could do with an iPhone):

After the show I raced to the back of the venue, where there was a bigger contingency that earlier in the day waiting for photos, autographs. Brian had already left on my bus (must have been two minutes at the most since the final note of Love & Mercy). Blondie came out and, true to his word, signed for a good five minutes. No chance for photos due to the giant gated fence. I think I was the only person to get him on something he actually contributed to (aside from tickets and scraps of paper):

When he handed it back to me, I thought he forgot to sign or used a dead sharpie, turned it over and he signed the back. I like it! Kicking myself for not buying Holland or In Concert on vinyl ahead of the show, but thrilled to come away with anything. Al was a bit sour, again, after the show. Had a bottle of wine in his hand and a scowl on his face. I don't know if he feels burned by the eBay types, but it's simple enough to do one per person or at least acknowledge the fans and say thanks for coming out. I'm a huge Al Jardine fan, but left disappointed by his demeanor yesterday afternoon and last night.

I'm hoping this isn't the last time Brian is in the Detroit/Chicago region. He certainly walked gingerly across the stage, but he seemed very happy and sounded amazing. His backing band was absolutely on point. Well worth the money and effort to see him!
Marty- you had my 1st choice with that album but I found the Holland LP and brought that.  Blondie seemed happy to sign it, and I was happier to have found it! I saw new lot of "new" (which takes some getting used to) vinyl but was happy to have my well- loved oldie at the ready.  It does make absolute sense for him to sign something that he contributed to.  Agree 100%!   Wink
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:54 AM »

I take it no new setlist additions for Detroit?

As I suspected, identical to Toronto:  http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/fox-theatre-detroit-mi-73f6aec1.html

Frankly, the organizers need to simply look out for him more -- he should not be playing four shows in four days. Go back to the way they did the shows back in 99 -- one or two shows, the one or two days off.

Also worth noting, and this depends on the stage setup and venue, a concert stage and stage area isn't the same as a random room. There are sometimes a myriad of amps, monitors, cables, and steps that can make even a steady person trip and fall. Brian may well need some help due to his back and his age, but they may also be going to every extreme possible to not have him trip on a cable and knock himself out hitting his head on the corner of Blondie's amp or something.

That actually reminds me of a story going all the way back to the 2001 Paul Simon tour. As I was waiting for Brian's set to begin, I could see him kind of just pacing and back forth behind the stage. Literally from left to right, right to left. Not sure if he was bored or looking for someone or something. At one point, he clearly tripped on a cable or something. He just tripped and stumbled, obviously didn't fall or anything, and just stopped and looked back at what he had tripped on. It was kind of a visually funny moment; Brian seemed strangely bemused about it.  LOL

Long story short, if someone already has even slight mobility issues, (or vision issues in the case of Rodriguez), they would understandably be extra careful even when the person may not always need quite that much support.

From my vantage point, it seemed offstage and the first couple of steps on stage, he had helpers, but once he was onstage, he was on his own. To be honest, I would have felt better if someone gave him an arm or shoulder, just in case.

First review is out and I think it is a pretty fair assessment: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2015/07/brian_wilson_sings_the_beach_b.html
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 06, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »

Marty- you had my 1st choice with that album but I found the Holland LP and brought that.  Blondie seemed happy to sign it, and I was happier to have found it! I saw new lot of "new" (which takes some getting used to) vinyl but was happy to have my well- loved oldie at the ready.  It does make absolute sense for him to sign something that he contributed to.  Agree 100%!   Wink

Yes, this was my first choice, but wish it was vinyl and not my CD booklet. After the show I saw Blondie signing C50 programs, Endless Summer LP, just about anything Beach Boys related, but essentially nothing but my In Concert booklet that he appeared on. Again, I understand the thrill of meeting him and getting the autograph, but I feel it shows ignorance and almost a lack of respect to get him on Smile or something else he had nothing to do with. To each their own...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »

Didn’t someone here have Scott Totten sign their “Pet Sounds” LP? To his credit, the story I remember reading was that he very respectfully demurred for the obvious reasons and had to be extra persuaded to do so once it was made clear that the person really truly understood he wasn’t on the album but still wanted him to sign.

There is indeed a point at which you have to fall back on whatever someone wants if it’s their thing. Maybe someone wants their “Pet Sounds” LP signed by Wilfred Brimley. Or a photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore….

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »

Didn’t someone here have Scott Totten sign their “Pet Sounds” LP? To his credit, the story I remember reading was that he very respectfully demurred for the obvious reasons and had to be extra persuaded to do so once it was made clear that the person really truly understood he wasn’t on the album but still wanted him to sign.

There is indeed a point at which you have to fall back on whatever someone wants if it’s their thing. Maybe someone wants their “Pet Sounds” LP signed by Wilfred Brimley. Or a photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore….

+1

This might deserve it's own thread. I've seen Bruce sign the back of Pet Sounds, since he doesn't appear on the front cover. I think that is more the fan's preference then his policy, since I have seen him sign the front cover. There is a 15 Big Ones LP on eBay right now signed by Brian, Mike and Bruce, for a steal, I have no interest with Bruce inking it. Again, I think some people are commemorating a moment they had with one of the Beach Boys--for me, as a collectible and historical piece, it ruins it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »

From the photos, it looks like the Detroit Fox is as beautiful as its sister venue, the Atlanta Fox.

I thought about what to have Blondie sign, if I got the chance -- and when it happened, I took the Holland CD insert. So now I have Holland signed by three Beach Boys. Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

There is a 15 Big Ones LP on eBay right now signed by Brian, Mike and Bruce, for a steal, I have no interest with Bruce inking it. Again, I think some people are commemorating a moment they had with one of the Beach Boys--for me, as a collectible and historical piece, it ruins it.

Well, Bruce does both sing backing vocals and contribute instrumentally to 15 Big Ones.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »

There is a 15 Big Ones LP on eBay right now signed by Brian, Mike and Bruce, for a steal, I have no interest with Bruce inking it. Again, I think some people are commemorating a moment they had with one of the Beach Boys--for me, as a collectible and historical piece, it ruins it.

Well, Bruce does both sing backing vocals and contribute instrumentally to 15 Big Ones.

Good point. I guess I just don't think of that as a record Bruce is heavily involved in.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »

+1

This might deserve it's own thread. I've seen Bruce sign the back of Pet Sounds, since he doesn't appear on the front cover. I think that is more the fan's preference then his policy, since I have seen him sign the front cover. There is a 15 Big Ones LP on eBay right now signed by Brian, Mike and Bruce, for a steal, I have no interest with Bruce inking it. Again, I think some people are commemorating a moment they had with one of the Beach Boys--for me, as a collectible and historical piece, it ruins it.
What does that have to do with Bruce signing the album? He's not on the front cover for contractual reasons, not because he didn't sing or play on it. What about Surfer Girl? Can Al not sign that album? He is on at least 1/2 the tracks. He's not pictured on Little Deuce Coupe either, but is on almost all of the tracks. Can Blondie sign my Samuel Adams bar napkin if he has never tried drinking that brand of beer?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.