gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:41:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 162989 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: July 02, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »

It was emotional watching the show the other night, for many reasons. And after dozens of shows over the years, the reason why is this: The proper amount of LOVE is being put out onstage. I’ve more or less watched these same guys perform this music -- as Brian produced it -- with love for 16 years. And it’s been delivered with same intent that it originally was conceived and performed by the Beach Boys. This band loves Brian, they love his music. They create a place for him. No one hates him. No one resents him. When Brian hits the stage he sits IN his records, which are -- as we can attest to -- the most loving and safe place. And, yes, it IS the best band. And it’s the best band because it has the best intent. Even on nights where you know Brian is having a tough time, they provide the love. They've never phoned it in. And the thing that hit me the other night was not only the obvious “We’re not going to have Brian forever” -- but the fact is when that happens we won’t have them forever, either. And that made me very sad. These brilliant musicians doing God's work will one day move on and away from each other and this music. With Darian and Al sandwiching Brian onstage, he was cushioned by love. He’s never been better supported -- along with Matt Jardine hitting those notes in a way you forgot you weren’t hearing 22-year-old Brian. It fit and felt like home. It wasn't like a McCartney show where it's an imitation of it -- it WAS it. Nothing there reeks of Mitch Weissman.

Y’know, as great as Pino Palladino is, he’ll move on to another gig someday. Despite how hard Abe Laboriel tries to convince you how incredibly into it he ALWAYS is (e.g. the arms and grimaces and manhole cymbals) it’s just a guy distracting you while playing songs for really good cash. Brian’s band means something. They have become historical because they play Brian Wilson music the best. It’s the best that music can sound. My only hope is that it continues in indoor venues created specifically designed only for music and that Brian rounds third with every one of them along with Al, Blondie, David, Billy, and his eldest daughters.

That’s how it should fade out.

Well put....

It does feel immensely better to know every person on that stage feels that way about Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: July 02, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »

I'll come back briefly to I Get Around. It's one of those songs some have referred to as part of the "meat and potatoes" setlist. But on Monday it was *not*, it was different, and it really got to me. I'll add to the comments about Matt Jardine's vocal, that falsetto of his on that tune (and others of course) just seemed to have the tone that I didn't hear in previous performances, and adding to that his dad Al in the harmony blend, and Brian that night singing the song all-out in a way I can't remember him singing, it was special. This is one helluva lineup, they deliver the goods.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »

McCartney's show is an imitation?...Please.......
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »

Yes. It is.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »

It was emotional watching the show the other night, for many reasons. And after dozens of shows over the years, the reason why is this: The proper amount of LOVE is being put out onstage. I’ve more or less watched these same guys perform this music -- as Brian produced it -- with love for 16 years. And it’s been delivered with same intent that it originally was conceived and performed by the Beach Boys. This band loves Brian, they love his music. They create a place for him. No one hates him. No one resents him. When Brian hits the stage he sits IN his records, which are -- as we can attest to -- the most loving and safe place. And, yes, it IS the best band. And it’s the best band because it has the best intent. Even on nights where you know Brian is having a tough time, they provide the love. They've never phoned it in. And the thing that hit me the other night was not only the obvious “We’re not going to have Brian forever” -- but the fact is when that happens we won’t have them forever, either. And that made me very sad. These brilliant musicians doing God's work will one day move on and away from each other and this music. With Darian and Al sandwiching Brian onstage, he was cushioned by love. He’s never been better supported -- along with Matt Jardine hitting those notes in a way you forgot you weren’t hearing 22-year-old Brian. It fit and felt like home. It wasn't like a McCartney show where it's an imitation of it -- it WAS it. Nothing there reeks of Mitch Weissman.

Y’know, as great as Pino Palladino is, he’ll move on to another gig someday. Despite how hard Abe Laboriel tries to convince you how incredibly into it he ALWAYS is (e.g. the arms and grimaces and manhole cymbals) it’s just a guy distracting you while playing songs for really good cash. Brian’s band means something. They have become historical because they play Brian Wilson music the best. It’s the best that music can sound. My only hope is that it continues in indoor venues created specifically designed only for music and that Brian rounds third with every one of them along with Al, Blondie, David, Billy, and his eldest daughters.

That’s how it should fade out.

Beautifully put.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 02, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

Howie wins the thread!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:09 PM »

Yes. It is.

I hate to derail the thread, maybe start a new one? I am curious to what leads you to think this though.

He's out there playing his songs, the way he wrote them, from his past and present still in (for the most part) great voice...just like Brian.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: July 02, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

Maybe this will catch on at the remaining shows, maybe not, but I forgot to mention: Besides our group's "Keep It Clean!" shout-out, I've been wanting to pay tribute for years to whoever the guy was at the Allman Brothers show that's on "Live At The Fillmore" who yelled "Play all night!" after one of Duane's jams, but wanted to find the right show and the right band to do it. This was the right show to do it. So if any live recordings come out from Philly June 29, and you hear some dude yell "play all night!" at least twice toward the end of the performance, it was me.  Grin  

And I really did want them to play all night.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 02, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »

Rubber --

I don't want to derail the thread either, but it's Mitch Weissman territory. And has been for a while.

I'd give anything if it wasn't, but I'm long done pretending it's the live Macca of '76/'79 -- it's Presley '75 with dudes with hair-do's backing a lead singer burping his way through the most beautiful songs of all time on a cheap obsolete instrument.

I love Paul McCartney to death, but it's devolved into a tribute show (and not even the best one running.)
And he is most certainly NOT for the most part in great voice. He's in fact in horrible voice.

What happens when that thing you love isn't really that thing you love anymore?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 02, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »

Lovely show tonight in Boston. No Runaway Dancer. Blondie on fire.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »

Lovely show tonight in Boston. No Runaway Dancer. Blondie on fire.

w00t! Rock! Brian, Dennis, & Carl Serenade   Awesome!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »

No Runaway Dancer?! Was there a new song added?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »

Rubber --

I don't want to derail the thread either, but it's Mitch Weissman territory. And has been for a while.

I'd give anything if it wasn't, but I'm long done pretending it's the live Macca of '76/'79 -- it's Presley '75 with dudes with hair-do's backing a lead singer burping his way through the most beautiful songs of all time on a cheap obsolete instrument.

I love Paul McCartney to death, but it's devolved into a tribute show (and not even the best one running.)
And he is most certainly NOT for the most part in great voice. He's in fact in horrible voice.

I would add that it hasn't helped that McCartney has gone, in the US at least, from exclusively the already-large indoor arenas of 2002 and 2005 to in some cases the even larger outdoor stadiums in more recent years. Paying hundreds to watch a jumbotron isn't so fun.

McCartney *could* do something more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:26:52 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »

3 nights to go for me.  Can't wait.  And...regarding McCartney...Paul himself has called Brian's backing unit the BEST in the biz...and Brian has improved it since then.  So Howie isn't even marginally wrong.  Ask Paul.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:30:46 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »

Girl Don't Tell Me and California added. No Cotton Fields either.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:32:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

Rubber --

Those are incredibly absurd and exaggerated observations.

This is from two weeks ago...first time played in the states in EXCELLENT voice, playing his heart out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZL94d2ayQ

Cheap, obsolete, horrible....? I think we have different definitions on this terms.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2015, 09:09:01 PM »

Set list for tonight, complete with Brianisms:

Right as Scott was doing the vibraphone intro to "Our Prayer", Brian finds a spot is shining in his face and shouts out "Hey, lighting guy! This is Brian Wilson here! Turn that spot off!" PERFECT Brianism to start.

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Shut Down (Al)
Little Deuce Coupe (Al)
Girl Don't Tell Me (Brian w/Matt)
I Get Around

Brianism #2: "I wrote this for my brother Carl, then he died. Darian breathes new life into it"

This Whole World (Darian)
Then I Kissed Her (Al)
California Saga (Al)

Brianism #3: "OK, now let's slow it down. Slooooowwwwwwwwwww dowwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn down down..."

In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby (Matt)
One Kind of Love
Sail Away (Blondie/Al)

Brianism #4: "Now it's time to REALLY rock. That last one was kind of medium. This one is REAL rock!"

Wild Honey (Blondie)
Sail on Sailor (Blondie)

Brianism #5: Identically word for word the same intro he gave "This Whole World". Darian even sort of gave a puzzled look and indicated like "is that the second time he said that?"

Darlin (Darian)
Wake the World (Al)
Busy Doin Nothing
Surf's Up (Brian in VERY gravelly voice until around "The laughs come hard in auld lang syne" at which point Matt covered while Paul brought Brian a bottle of water. Brian came back in on "a choke of grief")
The Right Time (Al)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Matt)
Sloop John B (Al on 1st verse, Brian on second 2)

Brianism #6: He did the "Row Row Row" thing, except when he cut us off we kept going for another two or three rounds. Al found this hilarious, but eventually Brian just shouted over us "OK, here's the best song I ever wrote" and launched straight into

God Only Knows (probably his best vocal of the night)
Good Vibrations ("finally!" as he put it)

Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda (Al)
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy ("from my new movie!")

I was absolutely dead center in the front row, so I got some great photos (which I'll post next). I didn't take any video during the show, but I got some at soundcheck. Al has most definitely broken the ice for Brian. Brian seemed dramatically more comfortable than when I saw the C50 and Jeff Beck shows. The chemistry up there is great, and you can feel that Brian is having a good time. Several times when he looked out to the audience and saw that someone had a phone held up, he would smile as if to give them a better picture. He played piano throughout, even during many - but not all - songs on which he was singing lead. Blondie's set was a scorcher, much more so than when he did the same numbers at the Jeff Beck shows. It's also remarkable how well Al and Matt sort of make eye contact with each other at various times to figure out if one of them needs to suddenly cover for Brian. Matt is an extraordinary addition to an already incredible band, and his falsetto has a grit to it that Foskett never did.

Fabulous evening that I'll remember the rest of my life.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »

This was the fourth of four shows in a row for BW. He seemed spirited, but perhaps a bit tired.

My favorite BW moment was when Blondie started on his second extended solo in Wild Honey. Brian looked at him, a little puzzled, stopped playing the piano and took a drink of water. Then he went back to playing the piano.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:12:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »

Some of the best on-stage vibes I've ever felt at a BW show. Howie nailed this point. Everyone there is just so happy for and supportive of BW.

A side note: Little Deuce Coupe was sung in unison by Brian and Al. It sounded pretty cool. And Matt is awesome. Some ladies around me acted like they were at a showing of Magic Mike when he sang Don't Worry Baby.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2015, 10:51:21 PM »

Apropo of nothing, here's a text from my friend who'd just seen the show here in Phila, Monday night:

Blondie Chaplin should stay home though. What a jackass. He's noisy, out of sync with the group and the vibe, and acts all goofy with body language like the whole thing is a joke. About 10 times he mentioned he used to be in the Rolling Stones band. He should go back to the stones. I'd have preferred john stamos.

LOL

I can see your friend's point about Blondie -- if I'm looking through the perspective of someone who hates fun and would prefer no one dares move, except to play an instrument. Is he also bothered when Scott circles the stage during Help Me, Rhonda? Or when Nelson runs around with his cowbell? If so, maybe he should close his eyes at concerts. Otherwise, such antics might offend.

I went to the Boston show tonight, and Blondie was an absolute highlight. He was having fun, and it's obvious from his vocals and guitar solos that he's certainly not taking this as a joke.

Something that stood out about his performance is that I saw him interact with nearly every band member on stage. When Darian sang Darlin', Blondie came over with a tambourine and tapped Darian on the back with it mid-song. Darian looked over and laughed/smiled.

During Help Me, Rhonda, Scott came out to share a mic with Blondie, and Blondie kind of took a step back like he didn't want to sing with him. He quickly stepped back up and Scott doubled over laughing. He also looked back to mimic Nelson a couple times while he had his tambourine, and the two shared some laughs.

It's fun to see Blondie walk all over the stage while he's up there, either while soloing or while playing the tambourine. His vocals on Wild Honey, Sail On, Sailor and Sail Away were superb. Brian and Paul mentioned Blondie was in the Rolling Stones. I couldn't imagine Blondie saying it.

It's a bit strange that Blondie comes and goes, but it kind of makes sense. Beach Boys songs aren't easy to play on guitar, and the vocal blend already sounds so good.

I think this is the best touring entity of Brian Wilson's band yet. The additions of Al, Blondie and Matt really pull everything together. It also gives Brian some rest from having to sing every song while adding some Beach Boys "legitimacy" to lead vocals. (I would have liked to see Scott take a lead vocal, since Darian got two, but I'm sure he appreciates hearing Brian sing "One Kind Of Love" every night.)

Matt sounded great on all the falsettos, and his new bandmates seemed to admire his rendition of "Don't Worry Baby." DWB is my favorite Beach Boys song, and it never felt quite right with Jeff singing it, though I'm not sure why. I like Jeff and Jeff's falsetto. It just suits Matt better.

Al still sounds fantastic and appeared very happy to be there. I was happy to see him sing so many leads -- basically 9 total. They're definitely not wasting him.

Brian was a bit hoarse at times, and both Scott and Paul made sure he had water a couple times during the show. He sounded best on "God Only Knows," and the raspiness actually kind of worked on faster songs like Fun, Fun, Fun and Surfin USA. He was very animated between songs and appeared comfortable. He introduced almost every single song.

I noticed Blondie, not Brian, sang the "Oh, let me take you there to another land. Don't expect the world to understand." Sail Away bridge.

Overall, it was a fantastic show that covered the highlights of Brian's whole career. Surf's Up was fantastic.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »

Yes. It is.

Imitation of what? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:24 PM »

Rubber --

Too late.   Grin

Why would you expect him to sound and perform the same as he did in the 70's?  And do you really want to see him with the same hairdo he had back then???

But this is all subjective.  The ironic thing is you could make the same exact argument about Brian Wilson.  Hell, he doesn't even sing lead anymore on about half the songs.  And even if McCartney's voice isn't quite what it used to be, he still sounds a thousand times better on stage than Brian does. 

Honestly I love both guys and have seen them both in concert, but trying to compare their shows directly is a tad ridiculous.  They both have different strengths but I came away satisfied (for different reasons) after seeing them both live (multiple times). 

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: July 02, 2015, 11:40:39 PM »

Blondie photobomb! Apropo of nothing, here's a text from my friend who'd just seen the show here in Phila, Monday night:

Blondie Chaplin should stay home though. What a jackass. He's noisy, out of sync with the group and the vibe, and acts all goofy with body language like the whole thing is a joke. About 10 times he mentioned he used to be in the Rolling Stones band. He should go back to the stones. I'd have preferred john stamos.

LOL

Dislike.  Blondie was easily the most entertaining guy up on stage.  He was like a South African Keith Richards (which would make sense, as Blondie actually toured with the Stones for years). 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »

And even if McCartney's voice isn't quite what it used to be, he still sounds a thousand times better on stage than Brian does. 

Not lately. And that's not a knock against Paul, either.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 03, 2015, 12:08:23 AM »

Anyone else seeing the show on the 12th?

Man, it just hit me that I'm going to be seeing the man who wrote and sung the music that I loved so much as a kid. I am so excited... I will probably cry like the fangirl that I am. And my dad will be there... 

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx