gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:52:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 163724 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 02, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »

That's not the show I saw. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »

Blondie photobomb! Apropo of nothing, here's a text from my friend who'd just seen the show here in Phila, Monday night:

Blondie Chaplin should stay home though. What a jackass. He's noisy, out of sync with the group and the vibe, and acts all goofy with body language like the whole thing is a joke. About 10 times he mentioned he used to be in the Rolling Stones band. He should go back to the stones. I'd have preferred john stamos.

LOL

Not trying to shoot the messenger of course.

I’ve never heard Blondie mention the “Rolling Stones” at either of the gigs (2013 and 2015) I’ve seen him play with Brian and Al. For that matter, nobody else mentioned the Rolling Stones as far as I can remember. It sounds like at later gigs on the current tour Brian started mentioning this.

He’s not out of sync with the band; he’s only brought on for the three songs he sings a lead on, and then comes on during the encore. On opening night, he did often just come out on stage and sit behind the drums. I get the feeling he doesn’t have much to do in between songs. I was a bit surprised to see that they only bring Blondie out on his songs during this tour. It was sort of a “special guest” situation at select shows in 2013. But he was on equal billing with Al for this 2015 tour, so I assumed he would be on stage for the full thing. It’s not a big deal; it’s not as if he’s going to bust out a guitar solo for “Little Deuce Coupe” or something. But I am surprised that they’re taking on the expense to have Blondie on for the entire tour, but don’t either have him on stage for longer, or at least add another song or two for him to sing when he *is* on stage.

And yeah, Blondie definitely puts off a different vibe from either Brian or Al. That’s why it’s awesome he’s there. He’s an oldschool veteran of the biz; I love that he has a “I don’t give a f—k” vibe in terms of demeanor, but not in terms of singing and playing. He sings and plays his ass off on the tracks he does. It was funny watching him during soundcheck in Saratoga just sitting in the front row and joking, asking Al to play a solo.

I heard one guy after the show in Saratoga say something to the effect that Blondie doesn’t sing well. I have to say it takes some huge balls to go to a Brian Wilson gig and criticize someone *else’s* singing, especially Blondie. I’m as big of a Brian fan as one can be, and I cut him way more slack than most. But objectively his voice has its limitations even on the best of nights. It’s pretty rich to single out Blondie.

And he’s nothing like Stamos. Not only does Stamos usually stay on stage way longer than Blondie does (and keep in mind Blondie is an actual advertised member of the band presently), but Stamos is an amateur musician. Blondie can rip on the guitar in addition to singing. And even if only for a couple years, he was an actual Beach Boy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:09:46 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #352 on: July 02, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »

Different strokes, I guess.

I was at the Philly show too, and I thought Blondie was great.  He brings a lot of energy to the show, and I think it's a bit contagious as the band seemed to feed off it, especially during the rocking encore.  Loved his leads on Sail Away, Sail On Sailor, and Wild Honey.

Now, when Brian introduced Blondie, he did mention that he was with The Rolling Stones, and it got brought up a couple times on stage too. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 02, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »

Agreed KDS, blondie hasn't lost a step from his BBs days. Sail on sailor and wild honey were amazing.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »

I was a bit surprised to see that they only bring Blondie out on his songs during this tour. It was sort of a “special guest” situation at select shows in 2013. But he was on equal billing with Al for this 2015 tour, so I assumed he would be on stage for the full thing.

Incidentally, what's up with David Marks? I'd think he'd be a great addition to the lineup.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »

Blondie photobomb! Apropo of nothing, here's a text from my friend who'd just seen the show here in Phila, Monday night:

Blondie Chaplin should stay home though. What a jackass. He's noisy, out of sync with the group and the vibe, and acts all goofy with body language like the whole thing is a joke. About 10 times he mentioned he used to be in the Rolling Stones band. He should go back to the stones. I'd have preferred john stamos.

LOL

Next time you talk to your "friend" you might want to tell him how off base he was about trashing  Blondie. Just knowing he would have preferred Stamohs tells me the guy is a complete wack job.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #356 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »

I was a bit surprised to see that they only bring Blondie out on his songs during this tour. It was sort of a “special guest” situation at select shows in 2013. But he was on equal billing with Al for this 2015 tour, so I assumed he would be on stage for the full thing.

Incidentally, what's up with David Marks? I'd think he'd be a great addition to the lineup.

Nothing new on his website.  Looks like he was with Mike and Bruce's The Beach Boys during that UK tour a month ago. 
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

Just knowing he would have preferred Stamohs tells me the guy is a complete wack job.

That ^ was a joke. I'm a Blondie fan, and came to his defense.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: July 02, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »

Nothing new on his website.  Looks like he was with Mike and Bruce's The Beach Boys during that UK tour a month ago.  

I loved Marks so much at the 50th show, wish he'd come back to someone's tour!

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
KDS
« Reply #359 on: July 02, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »

I'm hoping he rejoins Mike and Bruce at some point.  It would be nice to have another Beach Boy in the lineup when I see them in August. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 02, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

LOL
You friend sounds like he takes himself just a bit too seriously. Blondie was terrific in Philly. The hand waving  was during the encore. He didn't have a guitar nor a tambourine, so he started waving around while at the mic. He looked to me like was enjoying himself. This time, at this show at least, he looked more comfortable than when in Philly during the Beck tour.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 02, 2015, 02:45:51 PM »

I thought Blondie was a definite highlight and loved the energy he had throughout the show. The two things that still stand out the most to me were his guitar playing during Wild Honey and his tambourine/dancing/backing vocals during Darlin'.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: July 02, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »

Ok, band was late starting cause they were stuck in holiday weekend traffic. But once we got in the soundcheck was great. They ran through "Salt Lake City" a couple times (I'll post video later). Brian wanted the band to watch his hand for the fade at the end, then Al made a crack about something sounding similar to "Christmas Day" and then started singing it and Brian joined in while Darian pointed out it was Al's first lead vocal and Brian said "1964!" At one point Brian asked Matt if he was taking one of the high parts in "Salt Lake" and demonstrated briefly, which was awesome to know he can still sing that high from time to time when he wants. Al referenced Boston history a lot while they were doing "Cal Saga". "Sail Away" and then "prayer/heroes" and it was done.

I was first in line for the Meet and Greet. Brian lamented about his bottled water being room temperature and then he and Al debated whether to pronounce "liberty" in "Cal Saga" as "li-ber-ty" or to say it like Bostonians like "libuhdee", which was kind of funny. I brought my copy of the Made in California box (which surprisingly few people in the VIP with me seemed to recognize), and Blondie, Al, and Brian jokingly debated whether they should try to trace over the signatures that are printed on the inside gatefold but eventually signed the front. Al was very chatty as he tends to be. I think he serves as kind of a wingman ice breaker for Brian, so Brian seems very at ease. His smile was very genuine in the photo and at one point in the soundcheck Al said something I couldn't hear and Brian laughed aloud for a solid thirty seconds. He seems to be in really high spirits.

Also, at one point while everyone else was talking Brian was noodling around on the bass end of his keyboard and it was mixed very loud, which is awesome to think that he's in the mix at all. Very much looking forward to the gig in a couple of hours.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:28 PM »

Cool report, keep them coming! I would imagine they're rehearsing "Salt Lake City" in anticipation of the show there next week.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

So jealous...I missed my meet and greet due to traffic. Meeting Brian's on my bucketlist, alas, that will have to remain unchecked for the time being.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 02, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »

I'm here and seated!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »

LOL

That's bullshit. I mean, total bullshit, what that person said. He wasn't at the Philly show if that's the story you got.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »

If it's a joke, I don't get it. Just ask the people who were actually there. Blondie was one of the true highlights of the whole event, pre-show, show, and after-show. But don't ask me or anyone else, we were only there and just wrote about it. Yep, same old board. Have fun while it lasts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »

For those interested, this is a shot of the encore/finale from Philly Monday and Blondie is playing his Les Paul guitar.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »

Nick, Blondie, Paul during the encore(s)...note the guitar.  Smiley

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

I don't agree with that person's assessment of Blondie's role in Brian's show, and it may show a predisposition to not like Blondie's style. I don't think that means the person is lying about having been at the show, though. I've been to shows where others had vastly different opinions of the very same thing. Like I said, some dude was railing against Blondie's singing after opening night. I think the guy was an idiot, but he was definitely at the show.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: July 02, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »

Philly soundcheck:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: July 02, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »

I don't agree with that person's assessment of Blondie's role in Brian's show, and it may show a predisposition to not like Blondie's style. I don't think that means the person is lying about having been at the show, though. I've been to shows where others had vastly different opinions of the very same thing. Like I said, some dude was railing against Blondie's singing after opening night. I think the guy was an idiot, but he was definitely at the show.

Man, if someone says things happened that just didn't happen, you don't chalk it up to difference of opinion. You call bullshit. Which is exactly what that original "report" was. And if that person was actually at the show, they're full of sh*t in what they're saying. Simple as that.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 02, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »

It was emotional watching the show the other night, for many reasons. And after dozens of shows over the years, the reason why is this: The proper amount of LOVE is being put out onstage. I’ve more or less watched these same guys perform this music -- as Brian produced it -- with love for 16 years. And it’s been delivered with same intent that it originally was conceived and performed by the Beach Boys. This band loves Brian, they love his music. They create a place for him. No one hates him. No one resents him. When Brian hits the stage he sits IN his records, which are -- as we can attest to -- the most loving and safe place. And, yes, it IS the best band. And it’s the best band because it has the best intent. Even on nights where you know Brian is having a tough time, they provide the love. They've never phoned it in. And the thing that hit me the other night was not only the obvious “We’re not going to have Brian forever” -- but the fact is when that happens we won’t have them forever, either. And that made me very sad. These brilliant musicians doing God's work will one day move on and away from each other and this music. With Darian and Al sandwiching Brian onstage, he was cushioned by love. He’s never been better supported -- along with Matt Jardine hitting those notes in a way you forgot you weren’t hearing 22-year-old Brian. It fit and felt like home. It wasn't like a McCartney show where it's an imitation of it -- it WAS it. Nothing there reeks of Mitch Weissman.

Y’know, as great as Pino Palladino is, he’ll move on to another gig someday. Despite how hard Abe Laboriel tries to convince you how incredibly into it he ALWAYS is (e.g. the arms and grimaces and manhole cymbals) it’s just a guy distracting you while playing songs for really good cash. Brian’s band means something. They have become historical because they play Brian Wilson music the best. It’s the best that music can sound. My only hope is that it continues in indoor venues created specifically designed only for music and that Brian rounds third with every one of them along with Al, Blondie, David, Billy, and his eldest daughters.

That’s how it should fade out.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:10:29 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »

Man, if someone says things happened that just didn't happen, you don't chalk it up to difference of opinion. You call bullshit. Which is exactly what that original "report" was. And if that person was actually at the show, they're full of sh*t in what they're saying. Simple as that.

I suppose. Most of that short comment is opinion though. The "ten times" comment is surely incorrect, but is just a jackass case of hyperbole.

I came away finding the comment hilariously ass backwards. But I could totally envision someone exaggerating their distaste like that even if they were at the show. My first reaction was not that they weren't at the show and just made the whole thing up from scratch.

Believe me, I know how this can get. I was at the 2007 gig where Brian took a nap on stage, and within hours I saw utterly incorrect reports because they were coming from people that weren't actually at the show.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:12:11 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx