gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:52:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 162969 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »

To those of you attending the Philadelphia show on Monday (6/29), let's agree on a time & place to meet up, if only for a few minutes before the show. I would really like to meet all of you.

I second this.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 27, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »

A similar version of these comments are also posted in the "Brian in Atlanta tonight at the FOX!" thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22229.0.html

This was definitely one of the best Brian (as opposed to The Beach Boys with Brian) shows I've seen. There's a lot of variety (crowdpleasers, deep cuts, and new) in the setlist, the band is solid (as always), and Al, Blondie, and Matt are great additions to the ensemble.

That, and it took place in the very BEST, top-of-the-line venue in Atlanta. As Paul von Mertens said so joyfully in his band intro last night, the Fox was the place his band Poi Dog Pondering wished they could have played back in the day, and now he was there thanks to Brian.

Brian seemed very comfortable, although both pleased and a bit non-plussed when the standing O for GOK went on and on. Blondie brought a tremendous amount of energy to his numbers -- you could see he learned a lot in his tenure with the Stones. Al's voice is as strong as ever, and you could hear him playing guitar throughout the show, even taking some lead parts. He had his own Fender amp, as did Blondie. In the Fox's splendid acoustics, you could hear everything clearly. Darian, Matt, and Scott also had featured leads.

As for the setlist, I found it on setlist.fm. See listing below. It's not every day I get to hear my two favorite songs, "Wild Honey" and "This Whole World," played in the same concert. They also did "Surf's Up" and "Wake the World"/"Busy Doin' Nothing." "The Little Girl I Once Knew" was a surprise for me. The band is still working on "Funky Pretty," but it was not in the show.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2015/fox-theater-atlanta-ga-33c95c9d.html

Brian Wilson
No Pier Pressure Tour: With Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin
Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA
June 26, 2015

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls
Shut Down (Brian and Al Jardine on vocals)
Little Deuce Coupe (Al Jardine lead vocal)
I Get Around (Al Jardine lead vocal)
The Little Girl I Once Knew
This Whole World (Brian with Darian Sahanaja on vocals)
Then He Kissed Me (Al Jardine lead vocal)
Cotton Fields
In My Room
Surfer Girl
Don't Worry Baby (Matt Jardine on lead vocals)
One Kind of Love
Sail Away (Brian, Al and Blondie Chaplin on vocals)
Wild Honey (Blondie Chaplin on lead vocals)
Sail On, Sailor (Blondie Chaplin on lead vocals)
Darlin' (with Darian Sahanaja on lead vocals)
Wake the World (Al Jardine on lead vocals)
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time (Brian and Al Jardine on vocals)
Runaway Dancer
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Matt Jardine on lead vocals)
Sloop John B (Brian and Al Jardine on vocals)
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations

Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda (Al Jardine on lead vocals)
Barbara Ann
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »

The vibe last night in Dallas was fantastic.  Brian was in a good mood, and the band kicked ass.  It was a night and day difference compared to the BBs 50th reunion show, which was at the same venue.  This show was so much better.   

Random memories as they come to me:

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American." 

Twice during the show, Brian divided the audience up and asked the boys to yell real loud and then the girls too.  After the first time, he said something to the effect of "they sound so different but they are both part of the same trip." 

As they were about to begin Sail Away, Al said something like "Aren't you gonna introduce Blondie?" but Brian had apparently forgotten.

Speaking of Al, seemed like he was having some sort of issue with his monitor most of the night. 

Brian introduced "Wild Honey" by saying "This next song rocks like hell!" 

I was really hoping for "Funky Pretty," but it didn't happen.  Maybe next time.  Regardless, the show stepped up a notch whenever Blondie was onstage.

Wake The World segued straight into Busy Doin' Nothin', so there really wasn't much of a gap in between.  Regardless, I screamed my head off after Wake The World, and I think I startled the old couple sitting in front of me.

During the encore, Nelson Bragg pulled out a cowbell and began to 'explore the space.'  Then he went up to Al and started doing the full Will Farrell bit.  I thought it was hilarious...dunno what Al thought.

Also during the encore, Scott Bennet ran over to the drums and started playing the floor tom, and later was doing 'The Robot' at his keyboard station.

Brian introduced Surf's Up by saying "This next song has some really complex vocals."  I braced myself, remembering what some had said about it on this forum, but I thought it was outstanding.  Brian sang on practically the entire song, except a couple of times when he left the high bits for Matt.

Brian was doing his pantomime hand gestures throughout the night: when the lyric referenced driving, he acted like he had a steering wheel in his hands.  When the lyric referenced eating, he'd act like he was spooning something into his mouth. 

Before Runaway Dancer, Brian said, "This next song is usually sung by a guy named Sabu...S..A..B..U ...and he's got a big black beard."   

I don't think Darian or Scott would appreciate some crazy guy  moonsaulting onto their keyboards.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »

To those of you attending the Philadelphia show on Monday (6/29), let's agree on a time & place to meet up, if only for a few minutes before the show. I would really like to meet all of you.

I second this.

I'd like this as well.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »

I second this.

I'd like this as well.
I haven't been to the Mann Center in many years. Are there any specific areas where we can all meet up?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:41:02 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »

The vibe last night in Dallas was fantastic.  Brian was in a good mood, and the band kicked ass.  It was a night and day difference compared to the BBs 50th reunion show, which was at the same venue.  This show was so much better.   

Random memories as they come to me:

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American." 

Twice during the show, Brian divided the audience up and asked the boys to yell real loud and then the girls too.  After the first time, he said something to the effect of "they sound so different but they are both part of the same trip." 

As they were about to begin Sail Away, Al said something like "Aren't you gonna introduce Blondie?" but Brian had apparently forgotten.

Speaking of Al, seemed like he was having some sort of issue with his monitor most of the night. 

Brian introduced "Wild Honey" by saying "This next song rocks like hell!" 

I was really hoping for "Funky Pretty," but it didn't happen.  Maybe next time.  Regardless, the show stepped up a notch whenever Blondie was onstage.

Wake The World segued straight into Busy Doin' Nothin', so there really wasn't much of a gap in between.  Regardless, I screamed my head off after Wake The World, and I think I startled the old couple sitting in front of me.

During the encore, Nelson Bragg pulled out a cowbell and began to 'explore the space.'  Then he went up to Al and started doing the full Will Farrell bit.  I thought it was hilarious...dunno what Al thought.

Also during the encore, Scott Bennet ran over to the drums and started playing the floor tom, and later was doing 'The Robot' at his keyboard station.

Brian introduced Surf's Up by saying "This next song has some really complex vocals."  I braced myself, remembering what some had said about it on this forum, but I thought it was outstanding.  Brian sang on practically the entire song, except a couple of times when he left the high bits for Matt.

Brian was doing his pantomime hand gestures throughout the night: when the lyric referenced driving, he acted like he had a steering wheel in his hands.  When the lyric referenced eating, he'd act like he was spooning something into his mouth. 

Before Runaway Dancer, Brian said, "This next song is usually sung by a guy named Sabu...S..A..B..U ...and he's got a big black beard."   

I don't think Darian or Scott would appreciate some crazy guy  moonsaulting onto their keyboards.

Me neither.  Also, I'm confused.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »

made it over to Nashville last night... what a great f*cking show.

I've never seen Brian so animated and funny and just happy to be there, and I've seen quite a few shows since '99. I was blown away by how cool and comfortable he seemed.

nothing new on the setlist, and Little Girl I Once Knew was dropped... one of my favorites but I've seen them do it a few times.

Wake the World/Busy Doin Nothin was definitely the highlight for me, much of the crowd didn't seem to get into it but that was deep cut heaven! man I'd love to see them play the entire Friends album... or at least When A Man Needs A Woman!  Smiley

they put up a little barricade as folks were leaving to let some vehicles out of the backstage area, including Brian in the passenger seat of a van with his window rolled down. he gave everyone a big wave which was a nice way to end the evening.

so glad I made the trip, especially after missing the Brian/Jeff Beck show a couple years ago and regretting it for quite some time. you never know when it might be the last time he takes his show on the road, and seeing him with Al and Blondie playing such a sweet setlist would be a great last show for me... if that's the case.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:53:41 AM by bossaroo » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »

a few Brianisms:

when Brian came out to start the show he said, "It's great to be in Salt Lake City! uh, I mean Nashville" clearly making a joke... it was great.

after Our Prayer the band kicked into Heroes & Villains and Brian said right into the mic, "hey the teleprompter's not working!" to which Al replied, "you know the words to this one, Brian." towards the end Brian goes, "ok it's working now!" funny sh!t.

Brian introduced Darian as "one of the greatest singers in the world" or words to that effect, before This Whole World. (Brian sang the bridge)

when it came Al's turn to do Then I Kissed Her, Brian gave him a really nice long introduction... something like, "and now here's one of the most powerful singers of all-time, not from an egotistical place but from his heart..." and so on. then he failed to actually say Al's name. Al just kinda stood there waiting. a friend of mine likened Al & Brian to an old married couple, having some passive aggressive fun with each other throughout the night. hilarious

before Cottonfields Brian was like, "you wanna sing this Al, or should we let Paul do it?"  LOL

before In My Room/Surfer Girl he goes, "all these fast tunes are makin' me nervous! we're nervous wrecks up here!!! we need to slow it down with some sweet ballads..." or similar words.

can't remember his exact intro for Blondie but it was very complimentary. he said Blondie was in the Beach Boys and then played with the Rolling Stones for 10 years. before Wild Honey, Brian said they were gonna really rock out and Al said, "we're gonna get wild, eh Bri?" or words to that effect. afterwards Al said something like, "boy he learned a thing or two playing with the Stones!"

before Darlin Brian said something like, "here's a song I wrote for my brother Carl who died. Darian does a fantastic job with it." and he did

before Surf's Up Brian said, "this next  song is 20 minutes long!"
afterwards Al goes, "it's actually 4 minutes with 20 minutes worth of information!"  Smiley
(Al was definitely singing the "children's song" part on the tag... apparently he didn't at other shows?)

before God Only Knows Brian said something like, "here's a song that a lot of people tell me is the best song I ever wrote." it was probably the best I've heard Brian sing it live. a real softness in his delivery and he hit the high notes fairly effortlessly.

likewise Love & Mercy was beautifully executed with Brian really engaged, sometimes speaking and altering the lyrics just a bit.

Brian did the "how loud can all the girls yell???" and "now the guys" a couple times. the first time he goes, "the girls sound sweeter but the guys sound more money, y'know?"  LOL

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:03:35 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »

It was rather warm during the Nashville sound check, and I was forced several times to take on oxygen. Unfortunately, while there was cold Pabst available in the bar at an on-site restaurant, there was none at the sound check. I made do.

Blondie and the band worked through “Sail Away,” and Blondie asked to do the same with “Sail on Sailor.” The band struggled some in determining the proper backing vocals to “Shut Down” and asked whether any of the 50 or so of us in attendance could help. Having at the moment had head stroke, I was unable to provide guidance, but the proper lyrics were determined, and all were pleased. The band had come up with a special intro piece to accompany “Wake the World,” but Brian rejected the idea, indicating that he wished it to adhere closely to the record. And so it was done.

The band ran through a nice, relaxed “Don’t Worry Baby,” which made my soul soar and brought cool relief for the remainder of the sound check.

After a rather sterling Italian dinner at the on-site restaurant (I had chicken saltimbocca and seven Pabsts), we re-entered the concert area to be treated to a lovely set from Rodriguez who was wonderful on his acoustic “I Only Have Eyes for You”. Blondie stood in the wings listening intently to the set.

The sun showed us mercy by sinking as it does below the horizon, and the impressive afternoon heat gave way to a splendid evening, “Our Prayer” offering the enthusiastic audience all the proof it needed that harmonies would be in abundance. The segue to “Heroes & Villains” brought the audience to its collective feet – most of which were clad in one type of shoe or another. Some were baffled, or so it seemed, by the “Cantina” section, but it was done so beautifully the brief confusion gave way to excitement.

As is always the case, with the first notes of “California Girls” the crowd erupted in ecstasy, or perhaps hives. The performance was immaculate, and by following with “Shut Down,” “Little Deuce Coupe,” and a driving “I Get Around,” the band forced the elders among us to the realization that seating would not be an option for much of the performance. A young man directly in front of me was either mesmerized by the show or seriously involved in an LSD trip.

“You’re So Good to Me” was a highlight. What an amazing vehicle for the guitar! Many in the crowd might have been unfamiliar with “This Whole World,” but the response to the song was quite wonderful. Al did his usual solid job on “Then I Kissed Her” and “Cottonfields” before Brian remarked that a nice ballad would ensue – “In My Room,” which was merely magical and which clearly moved the audience, including the LSD fellow. “Surfer Girl” followed, and I was moved to see the 60th businessman-type fellow in front of me sing his heart out with every word. It was an emotional highlight.

Matt Jardine simply nailed “Don’t Worry Baby,” and the harmonies were sublime. Brian then introduced “a love song for my wife” and credited Scott Bennett with his collaboration – “One Kind of Love.” The response from the audience was quiet, but not in a negative manner. Many had seen the film, it was clear, and a certain reverence prevailed.

Brian offered Blondie an enthusiastic introduction, referencing his time in the Beach Boys and his decade-long stint with the Stones. “Now he’s with my band!” The crowd was quite taken with “Sail Away,” and it was a somewhat surprising highlight of the night. “Wild Honey” followed – a blistering version. Blondie moves the band a step from pop and into the rock realm. Brian introduced “Sail on Sailor” as “Sail Away Sailor” and was corrected by Al, who was summarily executed. Years of clean-leaving prevailed, though, and Al emerged phoenix-like back on the stage. The performance was strong, and Blondie’s vocal was soulful.

Brian then referred to Darian as “one of the greatest singers in the world,” and told the crowd he had written “Darlin’” for his brother Carl. Darian gave a remarkably strong performance – remarkably strong. I was, though, forced to be alert to avoid his spittle.

Al was quite effective on “Wake the World,” and it was fabulous in the outdoor setting. While it is a “deep cut,” it was sufficiently strong and well-positioned to do more than delight the crowd. “Busy Doin’ Nothing Followed,” and I much preferred the live version to the Friends recording, which I quite like.

Brian then said something to the effect of “this next song is 20 minutes long” and conceded that the title was deceptive. He followed with a mesmerizing performance of “Surf’s Up,” Matt Jardine somehow managing to be both strong and unobtrusive in providing the high parts. The younger Jardine’s vocals were impressive throughout the night. At one point, I noticed Al looking back at his son with quite obvious pride,” and I wept unashamedly until the man next to me threatened to have me removed.

“Surf’s Up” is a bit of an issue in such an eclectic set of songs. Brian was strong. Matt was strong. The band was beyond strong. But the song didn’t quite fit in context with the rest of the concert. The audience was respectful, no question. But being sandwiched between “Busy Doin’ Nothing,” and “The Right Time,” “Surf’s Up” left something of the impression of having visited an exhibit of Rockwell paintings and seeing in their midst a “Renoir.”

But “The Right Time: was done well, and Al was in great voice. As was the case with most of the songs from No Pier Pressure, the audience response was more enthusiastic than I had anticipated. The slight exception was “Runaway Dancer,” which followed. The version was quite solid, but the response was perhaps a bit confused. If there was a weak moment in the concert, this was probably it. That’s not to say it was a clunker – not in the sense that my third wife was a clunker, a Chevy Nova if you will.

Any brief loss of audience enthusiasm was recouped and then some with the opening strains of Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” and Matt Jardine sang it remarkably well. Thus began a half-hour or more of sheer perfection. “Sloop John B” was done incredibly well, and the acapella break was seamless. It was here, or perhaps earlier – forgive an old man’s memory – that Brian broke into a magnificent grin and shouted “Wilson and Jardine!” He and Al looked at each other, and it seemed as if for a moment they were transported back in time. I believe that Brian’s relaxed mood – and by his standards he was quite relaxed – might be attributable to Al’s presence on stage. Perhaps knowing he is near the end of his touring days, Brian finds some joy in being joined by his long-time friend and band mate.

Vocally, I thought “God Only Knows” was Brian’s highlight, at least this night. His voice was as pure as I’ve heard it in a long, long time. His phrasing was impeccable. Brian can have a tendency to “bark” lyrics, a bit, and it can be at least slightly noticeable that he is relying on a teleprompter. But he did a beautiful, fragile, nearly perfect “God Only Knows,” and this is the memory I will take from the concert. I was jolted.

“Good Vibrations” brought the crowd to its feet, was done beautifully, and closed the pre-encore show in a rousing, scintillating fashion, as one would expect. It remains remarkable to me to see the song done so well in a live setting.

The encore was strong. Paul introduced the band members individually, and they took deserved bows. He pointed out that they needed trombone for one song, and Probyn volunteered to teach himself to play. The crowd clearly appreciated this wonderful band.

“All Summer Long” opened the encore and was a crowd favorite. Al did a great job on “Help Me Rhonda,” and the noise level raised appreciably during the performance. The audience loves “Help Me Rhonda.” “Barbara Ann” isn’t a personal favorite, but it was exciting in its context and kept the audience dancing in the aisles. “Surfin’ USA” maintained the elevated mood. And “Fun Fun Fun”... how could this ever be anywhere but in its penultimate place in the show? Young and old, people were on their feet, singing along and pretending to be masters of falsetto. Powerful rock ‘n’ roll.

“Love & Mercy” closed the show, as always these days, and Brian did a nice job. As evidence of his relaxed mood, he played with the lyrics a bit – and it had nothing to do with memory or with stumbling over a lyric. It was intentional, and it was good. The backing vocals were superb. The audience would have loved another encore.

Random thoughts: Fred Vail introduced the band, and I found myself quite emotional. “I’ve known these guys for 53 years,” he said. He referred to Brian as his “hero.” And he riffed on the “gala concert” bit from the first live album. Many in the audience were reciting the words he used that night so long ago. It was a treat.

A random young woman – quite attractive – joined the band on stage during the encore and waltzed from one mike to another. She is either a Nashville country star or someone sufficiently attractive nobody bothered to check her credentials. She was not introduced.

Brian was humorous and – by his standards, at least – comfortable. More than that, he was happy. I would defy anyone who saw the show to think otherwise. This was, on this night, a remarkably happy man.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »

Terrific review and quite funny, as well. I am so happy that you enjoyed the show. My turn tonight. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

The attractive young woman who came onstage at the end of the concert was also present in Austin. I'm going to assume she is the girlfriend or wife of drummer Mike D'Amico...because Scott Bennett grabbed a mic at one point and said, "This is our drummer's DAUGHTER!" So I'm thinking it was an in-joke. She's cute but it seemed odd for her to be flitting about the stage.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Seeing the description of Paul introducing the band, that reminds me of something I didn’t put in my review of opening night in Saratoga. As Paul was getting ready to do the introductions, all of the band came back on stage all at once. Paul then said something along the lines that he was going to introduce everybody, but they were already on stage, so they just went into the next song instead. He seemed amused by the band being oblivious. I would imagine they “rehearsed” this for the subsequent shows. I obviously know who everybody is, but had never heard a non-Foskett introduction before.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

(Al was definitely singing the "children's song" part on the tag... apparently he didn't at other shows?)

Al very definitely sang the "children's song" part of "Surf's Up" in Atlanta, clear as a bell.
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »

Terrific review and quite funny, as well. I am so happy that you enjoyed the show. My turn tonight. Smiley

Enjoy! I shall lift a Pabst to you.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »

Hard to believe they haven't canceled the Nikon Beach show, it just isn't selling, simple as that.

Really getting jealous reading all these reviews, praying Brian comes to Ireland in 2016, if not I'll make it to the UK. These shows sound incredible.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »

Just got home from the Mann in Philly.

I arrived just as Rodriguez began his set; people were very receptive to his performance. I've listened to some of his stuff before but haven't really spent a lot of time with it. I plan to in the future.

Pretty amazing stuff on display. My thoughts echo pretty much everyone else's in the thread who has seen the recent shows. Just an all around great time. Always great to see Al and Blondie alongside the man himself. The mix was a bit wonky early in the show; Matt was hard to hear and some of the instruments seemed a bit buried in the mix. It was pretty cool to hear some of the No Pier Pressure songs in concert, but to be honest, Runaway Dancer has to go. It just doesn't work either on the album or (barely) in concert.

The big moment for me was the Friends medley. I was so glad Brian dusted those two songs off and did them again tonight. I was kind of stunned that Do It Again wasn't played; seems like a glaring omission or it could not be fit into the itinerary due to a slightly abbreviated show. Blondie was a trip during his mini-set. Probably one of the best Wild Honey performances I've heard. And of course, lots of Al to be found in the mix as well.

Great show. See this tour, people. And again, bolded, italicized, underlined, striked-through, glowed, shadowed, marquee'd, and BLOWN UP NICE AND HUGE...

SEE THIS TOUR
Seriously. Do it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 29, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »

Some great sound check clips here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYMDWfYMwM1HRX_ht0X9umQ

Re Brians piano. Not sure if its just him playing but someone says "Brian Wilson on the piano" at the end. Nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igF1wheAUEU
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »

Just got home from the Mann in Philly.

I arrived just as Rodriguez began his set; people were very receptive to his performance. I've listened to some of his stuff before but haven't really spent a lot of time with it. I plan to in the future.

Pretty amazing stuff on display. My thoughts echo pretty much everyone else's in the thread who has seen the recent shows. Just an all around great time. Always great to see Al and Blondie alongside the man himself. The mix was a bit wonky early in the show; Matt was hard to hear and some of the instruments seemed a bit buried in the mix. It was pretty cool to hear some of the No Pier Pressure songs in concert, but to be honest, Runaway Dancer has to go. It just doesn't work either on the album or (barely) in concert.

The big moment for me was the Friends medley. I was so glad Brian dusted those two songs off and did them again tonight. I was kind of stunned that Do It Again wasn't played; seems like a glaring omission or it could not be fit into the itinerary due to a slightly abbreviated show. Blondie was a trip during his mini-set. Probably one of the best Wild Honey performances I've heard. And of course, lots of Al to be found in the mix as well.

Great show. See this tour, people. And again, bolded, italicized, underlined, striked-through, glowed, shadowed, marquee'd, and BLOWN UP NICE AND HUGE...

Seriously. Do it.

They did "Do It Again" during soundcheck, but said it wouldn't be in the show. I second, awesome show at The Mann!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:58:43 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
KDS
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:31 AM »

Was at The Mann last night also.  

Probably too tired to write a full review as I had to drive over 100 miles from Baltimore, but here's a few things observations from my first BW solo show.  

-The crowd was very respectful.  I was expecting to hear some rude talking, cell phone conversations, etc during newer tracks and lesser known BB songs, but everybody seemed to be there to see and hear a great show.

-I've seen Surf's Up in concert now!!  After Surf's Up, he could've played Shortenin Bread for an hour, and I'd have been OK.  

-Wake the World/Busy Doin Nothing were really nice surprises.  I really liked the look on Al's face when Brian intro'ed Wake the World by saying "Here's a song for Al, and this one's a really good one."  

-Who was the blonde woman who came out during Barbara Ann and Fun Fun Fun??

-Now I know why people were critical of the sound mix of the Soundstage DVD.  This band rocks in person, but the DVD sound is pretty flat.  

-I liked the less is more stage approach.  Just the band and the music.  

-Still can't believe I saw Surf's Up live!!!!!

-The live version of One Kind of Love was amazing.  The NPP songs held their own alongside the numerous BB classics.  

-On the way out, I actually heard somebody say (and they were serious), "They missed Mike Love.  He sang most of the those songs."  (I don't want this thread to devolved into a ML hate thread, but I thought this was worth pointing out."

-Darian did a wonderful job on This Whole World.  Great voice.  

-The pavilion looked to be about 85% full, which was really great to see.  

-Saw the following T-shirts in the crowd - C50, Gershwin, BW Pet Sounds, BW Smile.

-Weather was absolutely perfect for an early summer evening.  

-Love and Mercy is a great closer and a nice way to come down a bit from the corker of an encore set of All Summer Long, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA, Fun Fun Fun.  

-Surf's Up!!!!!!

-Love Matt Jardine's leads on Don't Worry Baby and Wouldn't It Be Nice.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:44:07 AM by KDS » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:36 AM »

I really cannot add much to what Jason & KDS had to say about the show. I took my brother, a long time Beach Boys fan, who actually started me on my journey back in 1964. This was his first solo Brian show and he was not let down. He was so impressed with everything that we talked about the concert for the entire 1 hour drive home.

My thoughts: Brian was very chipper. More so than just about any other show that I have attended. He was in pretty good voice, as well. Al was terrific, as usual. I cannot believe how well his voice has held up. You could hear his guitar on quite a few songs, especially on Sail On, Sailor. Blondie looked like he was really enjoying himself out there. He was dancing around and making arm and hand gestures, and can play a mean tambourine. I love the energy his guitar playing brings to the band. Matt did a great job backing up Brian on falsetto. Once they finally got the mix right, he sounded great on the back up vocals too. In my opinion he sounds better than Jeff. His lead vocal on Don't Worry Baby was very good, but I think I would have rather heard Al sing lead on Wouldn't It Be Nice. Kudos to the band, excellent as always. Great show and as both before have said, don't miss it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »

The attractive young woman who came onstage at the end of the concert was also present in Austin. I'm going to assume she is the girlfriend or wife of drummer Mike D'Amico...because Scott Bennett grabbed a mic at one point and said, "This is our drummer's DAUGHTER!" So I'm thinking it was an in-joke. She's cute but it seemed odd for her to be flitting about the stage.
At 1st reading the last posts I was unsure of the girl's ID. But now I am, because Scott wasn't joking - it is indeed D'Amico's daughter. She's done it before during Barbara Ann, Surfin' USA & Fun Fun Fun. There's a video on Youtube dating 2011 with her. Some old threads indicate it too.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2015, 07:48:42 AM »

Sorry, didn't see Shadownoze's post about the identity of the mystery lady during the encore. 

The guy next to me at the show definitely noticed her and he craned his neck in front of me a couple times while following her on the stage. 

Another nice moment last night worth mentioning is that I noticed Blondie offstage waving his arms during God Only Knows.  He was a great addition to the tour. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »

Was at The Mann last night also. 

Probably too tired to write a full review as I had to drive over 100 miles from Baltimore, but here's a few things observations from my first BW solo show. 

-The crowd was very respectful.  I was expecting to hear some rude talking, cell phone conversations, etc during newer tracks and lesser known BB songs, but everybody seemed to be there to see and hear a great show.

-I've seen Surf's Up in concert now!!  After Surf's Up, he could've played Shortenin Bread for an hour, and I'd have been OK. 

-Wake the World/Busy Doin Nothing were really nice surprises.  I really liked the look on Al's face when Brian intro'ed Wake the World by saying "Here's a song for Al, and this one's a really good one." 

-Who was the blonde woman who came out during Barbara Ann and Fun Fun Fun?Huh 

-Now I know why people were critical of the sound mix of the Soundstage DVD.  This band rocks in person, but the DVD sound is pretty flat. 

-I liked the less is more stage approach.  Just the band and the music.   

-Still can't believe I saw Surf's Up live!!!!!

-The live version of One Kind of Love was amazing.  The NPP songs held their own alongside the numerous BB classics. 

-On the way out, I actually heard somebody say (and they were serious), "They missed Mike Love.  He sang most of the those songs."  (I don't want this thread to devolved into a ML hate thread, but I thought this was worth pointing out."

-Darian did a wonderful job on This Whole World.  Great voice. 

-The pavilion looked to be about 85% full, which was really great to see. 

-Saw the following T-shirts in the crowd - C50, Gershwin, BW Pet Sounds, BW Smile.

-Weather was absolutely perfect for an early summer evening. 

-Love and Mercy is a great closer and a nice way to come down a bit from the corker of an encore set of All Summer Long, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA, Fun Fun Fun. 

-Surf's Up!!!!!!

-Love Matt Jardine's leads on Don't Worry Baby and Wouldn't It Be Nice. 

Flew in from Miami Beach LOL. This was without a doubt, the absolute pinnacle of following Brian Wilson and his music over the past 53 years and yes, with no disrespect,  I was at Carnegie '71.
Brian, Al, Blondie, Matt, Darien and every other member of the band put down a flawless performance that I would find difficult to be surpassed by any band now touring. Wake the World was far beyond wonderful but the segue into Busy Doin' Nothing with Brian taking the lead, well, it just doesn't get any better than that period. If you are a fan, do whatever you have to do to see this amazing show-you will not be disappointed. myKe luHv comments? Yep, heard plenty of 'em and they weren't pretty. Funny, but as I look back on last night's incredible show, M&B never crossed my mind. Looking back, they wouldn't have been needed whatsoever. Just telling it like it is, man.
I'd like to personally thank every last person who helped put it all together and to Brian, thank you for signing NPP and the Catch A Wave book and to Al, thanks for signing Postcard. Al, thanks (ha!) for remembering the ride I gave you to the hotel after the Villanova concert in '72 in the back seat of my '70 Camero.

Whew! What a night including the ride to 30th Street Station!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #298 on: June 30, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »

More observations during the Mann show.

-If they release a show from the tour of DVD, they need a special feature where you can isolate Nelson Bragg.  

-I agree with Dr. Beach Boy that Runaway Dancer is a bit of a square peg in the setlist.  I'd like to swap it for Saturday Night.  Its probably my least favorite track of NPP.  Not a bad melody, and the live version is much better.  But it just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the song.  Sail Away, Right Time, and One Kind of Love melted perfectly with the classics.  The band seems to enjoy playing it though.  

-A lot of people were singing along to Surf's Up, and the song earned a standing ovation.  
KDS
« Reply #299 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:44 AM »

OSD,

I agree that I never really thought of M&B during the two hours. 

I'm seeing them in August, and I'm sure it'll be a fun show, there's no way they're going to top what happened at The Mann last night. 

My only real complaint was, no offense to Rodriguez, I'd have rather see a longer set with no opener (similar to C50). 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx