gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:21:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 163010 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »

Brian AND Al both sound really  great in that clip. Alan adds so much to the vocal blend, it's amazing.

I too would prefer they swap the car songs on...it just isn't really fitting, in my opinion. Marcella and Hold On Dear Brother would be a MUCH greater use of their team.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »

Movie tie-in: good call.

Rodriguez - good call, bad call, did you bother ?

More thoughts later, but Rodriguez was good. Al watched his entire set from the wings, seeming to listen intently.

Wish they had given Al more leads. Blondie came and went several times.

What leads did Al have besides Rhonda and the listed ones? Sloop, WIBN, shared Little Girl I Once Knew?, car songs?

Sorry, I did miss a few vocal credits. Al did Sloop, with Brian just singing the last verse. It kind of looked like Brian "stole" Al's lead on Little Deuce Coupe. They ended up singing it in unison. Matt sang WIBN. Al was kind of in there on "Little Girl", but not really a lead. I have to say Al was oddly underutilized. It was still a great show, make no mistake. And Al seemed to be having great fun. Brian was definitely having an "on" night in terms of mood. Most enthusiastic I've seen him in years. Did several "bits" including "row your boat" and song for guys then girls to yell. Twice!

Al announced "Runaway Dancer" as "we're going to do "My Little Runaway"", so I actually thought we were going to get the Del Shannon song for a moment.

Brian called on Scott to sing "Sailor", and Scott said jokingly "that's okay, the guy who sang the original record is here."

Either Scott or Darian sang the end of L&M solo, that was a bit weird.

Very cool that both Brian and Al were very heavy and audible in the group harmonies.

Brian introduced "Wake the World" saying to Al that they wrote it in Brian's living room (I think).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:54:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »

Ho-Lee smokes!

"Wake The World," "Busy Doin' Nothin'," BLONDIE CHAPLIN singing "Wild Honey" and "Sail On Sailor"...that's worth the price of admission right there. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »

Very excited for LA show.  Thanks for the updates. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

Al has never done a huge number of leads at BW shows. It's just the way it is, for whatever reason.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »

I'm very happy to see Busy Doin' Nothin', Wake The World, This Whole World and Wild Honey. I hope they are tour staples.

How about replacing one car song for another? I'd love to see Al given Honkin' Down The Highway in place of Shut Down or LDC.

Hopefully a few other deeper cuts will show up throughout the tour. I'd love to hear Friends, Brian on The Trader or Al on San Miguel.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »

The Trader and San Miguel will never, ever happen. With the limited exception of "Forever," BW has never performed songs written by Dennis or Carl live. He ain't gonna start now.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, Dave Marks did sing Little Bird at the BAD shows ...

So never mind.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:26:56 AM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »

A great start, hope they swap out Shut Down/Little Deuce Coupe tonight or tomorrow with some others... c'mon, you paid for Blondie: let him loose on Marcella/Hold On Dear Brother, hmm? I want more of that guitar.
He definitely gives the band an edge that you don't hear otherwise.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »

Are there any other videos from last night besides CalGirls?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2015, 12:39:48 PM »

For those interested, here's a photo posted on Al's facebook of some merch for sale on the tour:

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

Al has never done a huge number of leads at BW shows. It's just the way it is, for whatever reason.

Of course. Nothing new, bit still weird considering he's there and has a strong voice. It *felt* like the ratio of Al vocals to the entire number of songs was even lower than 2013, but maybe it just felt like that. They have Matt three leads and Blondie a few too. With Darian's partial lead it was already to the point where non-Brian leads were taking up nearly 1/3 of the set.

The band was tight by the way. Brian said they rehearsed for two weeks; Al said two days. I'm not sure who was joking. But the whole bands was tight musically and vocally, much more so than the recent TV shows and the NonComm thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

Geez, they are really proud of those shirts, aren't they?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »

Awesome setlist and I love that hoodie..

How was the attendance?

Someone who was there told me it was about 95% or more sold out.

Awesome setlist ? Can't agree: solidly satisfying  ? Oh yes. Awesome would be fewer GH, more surprises. He can do that, he's done it before. Hopefully, this is a starting point to evolve. The encore's been set in stone for something like a decade. Nice cross-promo with the movie, though. Kudos to whoever came up with that notion. Hopefully the show at The Greek will raise the bar.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »

http://www.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2015/06/19/brian-wilson-plays-the-hits-at-mountain-winery

Review which discusses Rodriguez opening:

“In a few minutes, you’re going to be hearing from an icon,” Rodriguez tells the crowd ahead of his last number. Several people shout that there are actually two icons performing tonight. “No, no, no” he chides the audience, a smile on his face. “I want you to treat me as an ordinary legend.”

Slightly misleading headline, given the surprises in the set.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2015, 04:07:45 PM »

I try not to bitch about reviews, knowing that the writer's job isn't to be a Wilson geek, but to cover an event. But this time, well...I will.

"a thirty-two song set, drawing extensively from Wilson’s career as a Beach Boy and his solo work (how much the former is really an extension of the latter is a debate for another time)." Wait, is the question how much of the Beach Boys career is an extension of the solo career? What does this mean? Am I too drunk to understand a valid point or question, here? (It's possible. I'm drunk. Shocker.)

The album is called Pier Pressure?

And then the numerous call-outs of Wilson's (ahem) unorthodox stage persona... Yes, it's clear he's not David Lee Roth, Mick Jagger, Bono, Freddie Mercury. That he's a nervous performer is very well documented. Does it require multiple references in every review, decades and decades into his performing life?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »

Eh. It's  good review. I'm sure they'll fix the error, why not email em?

...and Rodriguez is a class act. What a quip!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:50:11 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »

Eh. It's  good review.

It's a positive review. But I wouldn't say it is very good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »

Not "very good" but qualifies as "good," what with: charming, a delight to watch, and genius repeatedly. It's definitely annoying to get the album title wrong!

Off to the venue. I shall avoid stumbling into any raised bars and wait till I actually see the show before opining...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:26:00 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2015, 05:25:24 PM »

Awesome setlist and I love that hoodie..

How was the attendance?

Someone who was there told me it was about 95% or more sold out.

Yes, that sounds right to me. Maybe even indeed above 95 by the time Brian's set was going. There were really just a few rows at the back of the reserved seating (eg higher priced but not super close) that were noticeably missing people.

Also, a healthy mixture of young (not children, but 20-somethings) and older attending.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »

The Trader and San Miguel will never, ever happen. With the limited exception of "Forever," BW has never performed songs written by Dennis or Carl live. He ain't gonna start now.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, Dave Marks did sing Little Bird at the BAD shows ...

So never mind.  Grin

I'd say "The Trader" is a micro percentage likely just because Matt and Al rehearsed it in 2000 with Family & Friends, and I would presume Matt would probably have sung it. But also worth considering is that they clearly don't consult Al on the setlist much at all. I thought they might actually get Funky Pretty in the set since Al seemed so into it with Blondie there.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »

So never mind.  Grin

I'd say "The Trader" is a micro percentage likely just because Matt and Al rehearsed it in 2000 with Family & Friends, and I would presume Matt would probably have sung it. But also worth considering is that they clearly don't consult Al on the setlist much at all. I thought they might actually get Funky Pretty in the set since Al seemed so into it with Blondie there.

Brian also recently called it his favorite Carl song.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »

Any reports from tonight's show?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »

Any reports from tonight's show?

just about time for Brian to start playing, isn't it?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »

So never mind.  Grin

Brian also recently called it his favorite Carl song.

True...

From the Facebook Q&A on 3.26.15
Q: what do you think of carl's song the trader?
Brian: I loved that song, he had a great vocal and great lyrics

From the Twitter Q&A on 3.30.15
Q: what's your favorite Beach Boys song written by someone in the band other than yourself?
Brian: "Trader" by Carl.

I could be making this up (I'm fairly sure I'm not) but didn't Brian play a few chords from The Trader during a show rehearsal? I could have sworn I read about Brian playing some chords from the song and Darian and Scott joining in. I have no idea where I read it but I couldn't find it using the search function here.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »

There's an RS video of him fiddling around at the piano and doing a bit of Long Promised Road --

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-behind-the-scenes-at-his-new-york-concert-20081212

-- is that what you're thinking of?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx