gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:16:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 163006 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 07, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

I can't remember which it was but right before one of the songs Brian said kind of off-the-cuff "When was this damn song written again?"  LOL

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »

I was at the Ravinia show last night, and in my opinion, it was magical. Brian seemed to really be having a nice time. He MC'd most of the show, which was surprising. He played half of Honeycomb, and said, "Wait- can we start over? I messed up the first verse." The band started over, but BW said, "Wait never mind. The next song is..." It was hilarious!! Al sounded INCREDIBLE too! Although, he kept dropping his guitar pick and Probyn would run over an give him a new one. When the band played "Surf's Up", Brian said "This is the only number I don't like..." Which wasn't surprising to me, because it probably brings back bad memories. Then Al said, "WHAT? This is from the SMiLE album, the most brilliant piece of music ever recorded!" And Brian said, "Okay......."
It was a great show. And everyone was giving it their all.

I must have been at a different show. Yes, Brian was "engaged", but other than that I thought it was the worst show I've ever attended. The sound was not just bad, it was horrid - you could not hear most vocals most of the night. Only the acapella vocals were able to be heard clearly. You could barely hear Matt Jardine all night with just a few exceptions - which was probably good since he was pitchy and on a number of songs his voice had a reedy quality that was simply awful (after hearing Matt last night I MUCH prefer Brian Eichenberger). Al wasn't much better, his vocal parts were M.I.A. quite often - he sounded like he was half a step sharp for much of the night. Darian just simply didn't sing parts of This Whole World - I have no idea why since he sounded pretty good on Darlin'.

Brian may have been energized, but he shouted into the mic most of the night - his performance of Busy Doin' Nothing was cringeworthy. The truncated Love and Mercy was blah - I was hoping we'd hear the full version with the break like on the Tribute show, but no luck. To me Brian' vocals on it sounded NOTHING like has been described at previous shows.

Even much of the band was off - lots of wrong notes (instrumental, not vocal) especially. Although - in their defense the sound was so evil it may not have been as bad as it sounded. BTW, I was seated in the pavilion, row 21 in the middle of the left section, good seats.

The audience stayed in their seats almost all night and offered no more than polite applause after most songs other than after WIBN (why not let Al sing it? I just can't fathom why Matt gets the lead, his Dad does a hugely better job), GV, and the encores. And really, that's all that was deserved.

Finally, I just can't stand any more of that same encore set they've played for 15 years now.

I am near 100% sure I would not attend any more Brian shows. I'm tired of many of the hits in these shows. We got all the usual suspects, we got the pair of car songs, we got pretty much the same thing as I've heard at these shows for the last 5-6 years. It was nice to hear Blondie on Sail On Sailor, but otherwise he was not much of a factor (I think Wild Honey is awful). The usually spectacular band was
off, led by what I would have to call really poor performances by the Jardines. And Brian - well, he's a great composer/arranger/producer, but his performance last night convinced me (and others sitting near me) that this should be the last tour for him.

I'm sure this post will upset a number of people, but I call' em as I see 'em. And the group of four of us that went last night all agree, it wasn't very good.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:02:45 PM by Jim McShane » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »

There are seriously complaints about this setlist? Brian played 33 songs last night, and by my count, only 16 of them can be categorized as meat and potatoes. And I don't know about most posters on here, but I'd be disappointed if I went to a Beach Boys-related show and didn't hear some of these asterisked songs:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
California Saga: California
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »

I would say, as it pertains to “Love and Mercy”, other than the unique TNT tribute show performance, Brian is currently performing the song exactly the same way he has since he started touring in 1999. Not sure why anyone would expect anything different on that one.

Can’t speak to the observations of numerous poor vocal performances, though this is clearly another example of people going to the same show and having very different reactions.

I would also say that if you go to a Brian show (or really any BB-related show) predisposed to being annoyed by an encore that includes “Barbara-F***ing-Ann”, “Surfin’ USA”, “Fun Fun Fun”, etc., then you’re probably ALWAYS going to be disappointed. Brian always does those songs, even when he’s doing a “Smile” show or “Pet Sounds” show.

The evidence at hand for the last couple years has been that Brian is not *expanding* the interesting setlist inclusions, but rather curtailing them (though not doing away with them; “Wake the World”, etc.). I’ve seen around ten shows starting with 1999, and the one area where things have plateaued is the setlist. I’ve come to terms with that, having seen the full PS and Smile albums multiple times, with and without Al present, and numerous other interesting tracks (still picking my jaw up off the floor after hearing him do “Let It Shine” in 2000).

As for Brian’s vocals, I’ll reiterate what I said after personally witnessing his “episode” in 2007 when he just slumped down on stage in the middle of the show, and then commentators starting calling for his retirement: Brian has always been in a unique situation regarding performing live. He has always had skittish, vocally wonky episodes going all the way back to 1999. I’ve *never* seen him do a 100% smooth, impeccable vocal performance live. Some have been better than others, though I’ve never heard him sing twice as good or twice as bad as any other performance. But nothing happening in 2015, other than whatever Brian is feeling himself, is telling me that Brian touring in 2015 is any more appropriate or inappropriate than 2010, or 2005, or 1999. 2015 was NOT the worst vocal performance I’ve heard from him, and even if it had been, I wouldn’t call for his retirement based on that. I’ve also heard gigs over the years where Al was pitchy, probably even Matt a bit now and then (can’t think of an example at the moment though, frankly). Not so on this tour, either at the show I was at or on any recordings I’ve heard/seen so far. Foskett, who overall did a fine job with Brian over the years, was more more erratic and pitchy at some of the shows I saw in his 14 years with the band than Matt has ever been at any Beach Boys or Al or Brian show I’ve seen or heard.

Maybe some of the guys have an off night vocally (though others clearly didn’t hear it), and that happens. If the mix was poor at the show as well (not the fault of the band of course), maybe the separate on-stage monitor mix wasn’t dialed in well either, which can affect the performances as well.

I’ve actually been surprised that both Matt and Al finally seem to regularly have switched over to in-ear monitors. I think Matt even posted on this board once describing his preference for the old-school floor/wedge monitors, which Al has also seems to prefer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

There are seriously complaints about this setlist? Brian played 33 songs last night, and by my count, only 16 of them can be categorized as meat and potatoes. And I don't know about most posters on here, but I'd be disappointed if I went to a Beach Boys-related show and didn't hear some of these asterisked songs:

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy

That is an important point to reiterate. There’s still a good hunk of songs in there that have never been “standard” BB setlist picks. I think some fans, rather justified or not, have become a bit jaded having seen Brian do a good amount of more obscure songs going all the way back to 1999/2000. So for him, “deep cuts” like “This Whole World” or “Surf’s Up”, or even Al doing “California Saga”, are now seen as semi-standards for Brian’s show.

I’d love to see a longer show with more “new” tracks (who wouldn’t?), with Al and Blondie taking on more of the heavy lifting. I’m bummed that they haven’t at least added a small selection of seeming no-brainers given the band lineup, stuff like “Funky Pretty” or “Honkin’ Down the Highway” or “Lookin’ at Tomorrow.” But we do have to keep things in perspective. Brian’s 2015 setlist is more than appropriate and still plenty engaging.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »

I find it interesting that many fans here expect so many of those songs from Brian. I've only seen him once outside of C50, on the Jeff Beck tour and I was shocked to hear all the car songs. It was also very weird hearing Brian singing "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" and having essentially no emotion whatsoever.

If I were going to see Brian Wilson, I would expect songs like Heroes and Villains, Good Vibrations, Surfer Girl, God Only Knows to be the staples. And if Al is in the band, California Saga, Help Me Rhonda, Then I kissed her...
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »

I don't completely disagree, although I've heard the "live" Love and Mercy an awful lot - and Honeycomb? I It didn't even remotely qualify as a song - I thought it was some scripted comedy skit or ?? So 50% o the songs were definitely "meat and potatoes".

I just think of all the great stuff that never gets played that could sub for some of the "meat and potatoes" - Melt Away, Little Girl I Once Knew, Friends, Breakaway, and a lot of the stuff from the later BW solo albums.

Other than the Smile shows the greatest BW show I ever heard was at the House of Blues in Chicago in about 2002 or 2003 where they played a bunch all the songs I listed above and more. There was plenty of very familiar stuff, but not 50% of the show. People who went there were just blown away by what they heard in addition to Pet Sounds. Look here to see the set list: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=3396.0
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 07, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »

I would say, as it pertains to “Love and Mercy”, other than the unique TNT tribute show performance, Brian is currently performing the song exactly the same way he has since he started touring in 1999. Not sure why anyone would expect anything different on that one.

It was done with the break on the original recording, on the TNT show, and on the benefit performance for the Tsunami victims that included Markus form the Stockholm Strings. And I can't recall for sure, but it might have been done with the break at the House of Blues show. Why not play it complete now - in fact I kind of thought that's what they'd play after seeing all the posts raving about it.
KDS
« Reply #508 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »

I think the 2015 setlist has achieved a good balance of hits, new tracks, and deeper cuts.  Especially for a set of just under two hours.  

Other than Bruce Springsteen and, on occasion Iron Maiden, I can't think of a legacy artist who doesn't rely primarily on their past hits for the majority of their setlist.  Its pretty much the nature of the beast.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »

I find it interesting that many fans here expect so many of those songs from Brian. I've only seen him once outside of C50, on the Jeff Beck tour and I was shocked to hear all the car songs. It was also very weird hearing Brian singing "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" and having essentially no emotion whatsoever.

If I were going to see Brian Wilson, I would expect songs like Heroes and Villains, Good Vibrations, Surfer Girl, God Only Knows to be the staples. And if Al is in the band, California Saga, Help Me Rhonda, Then I kissed her...

Brian is singing songs he wrote or co-wrote. He has never rejected the early stuff he wrote or co-wrote. I don’t doubt that concert promoters want some recognizable songs in the setlist. But it’s worth thinking about the fact that, prior to 1999, fans had probably heard more live renditions of those “meat and potatoes” songs than the number of times Brian had sung them himself.

Perhaps he feels, and rightly so, that “Shut Down” or “Fun Fun Fun”, etc. are as much *his* songs as Mike’s or the Beach Boys’. How many songs has Brian performed in concert that were recorded by the Beach Boys *and* were non-covers written by another member of the band without Brian? He doesn’t do “Kokomo” or “Getcha Back” or “Still Cruisin’.” He was doing “Forever” for a short while; they had Dave sing “Little Bird.” Even when Al and Blondie are in the band, they rarely even have those guys sing songs not co-written by Brian. (Other than covers or “California Saga”, it’s usually all Brian-penned material).

I think some fans, especially perhaps some newer fans, are not understanding the gravity of Brian doing post-Pet Sounds material, especially late 60’s material, even post-Smile stuff. There are some interviews with one or two of Brian’s band where they describe just how touchy that topic was even in 2000 or 2001. One of the guys (Darian?) described someone asking Brian to play “Heroes and Villains” at a party, and he said (vaguely paraphrasing) that he expected Brian to freak out. I’m sure the stuff from PS and prior is easier for Brian to enjoy singing in some cases.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »

It was done with the break on the original recording, on the TNT show, and on the benefit performance for the Tsunami victims that included Markus form the Stockholm Strings. And I can't recall for sure, but it might have been done with the break at the House of Blues show. Why not play it complete now - in fact I kind of thought that's what they'd play after seeing all the posts raving about it.

According to setlists.fm, Brian has performed “Love and Mercy” 308 times in concert, only 7 of which came prior to his 1999 touring. I would assume other than those two one-off TV show appearances (don’t know about that House of Blues show), pretty much every other performance of the song has been the usual arrangement. I’d love to hear the full arrangement, don’t get me wrong. But there’s no reason going into a 2015 show that one could expect it, or even be anything other than slightly hopeful. I’m just talking about expectations. If one wants to criticize Brian for truncating the arrangement, that’s a separate issue. While I like the full song, I also defer to Brian doing it the way he wants, especially since it seems to be one of his more personal latter-era compositions. He clearly has an ideal behind performing it, as evidenced by doing a simple piano arrangement instead of the blast of 80’s synths and echoey drums heard on the original recording.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:19:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy
That is an important point to reiterate. There’s still a good hunk of songs in there that have never been “standard” BB setlist picks. I think some fans, rather justified or not, have become a bit jaded having seen Brian do a good amount of more obscure songs going all the way back to 1999/2000. So for him, “deep cuts” like “This Whole World” or “Surf’s Up”, or even Al doing “California Saga”, are now seen as semi-standards for Brian’s show.

I’d love to see a longer show with more “new” tracks (who wouldn’t?), with Al and Blondie taking on more of the heavy lifting. I’m bummed that they haven’t at least added a small selection of seeming no-brainers given the band lineup, stuff like “Funky Pretty” or “Honkin’ Down the Highway” or “Lookin’ at Tomorrow.” But we do have to keep things in perspective. Brian’s 2015 setlist is more than appropriate and still plenty engaging.
Hey Jude - at Brian's show, he said everything but, "Hotwire the hot rods!" Brian has every right in the world to use those car songs and it went over like wild fire.  As I counted about 19 songs that are routinely done by the touring band, and some others such as Heroes, and Sail On Sailor are done in the UK shows. They (the touring band) recently did a Fendertones version of Surf's Up, which got great reviews on this forum. And, WH is done fairly often since 2013. I'm thinking your analysis is off.  

And Foskett didn't have a voice change operation when he went to the touring band.  Try being objective and fair to each member, regardless of where they are working in the BB/BW sphere.  Wink
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »

I can't really blame any of the members for not signing autographs before or after the shows. Isn't that what the VIP tickets are for?

Not all fans can afford VIP tickets. (I got lucky this time around, a friend had an extra one and invited me.)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:27 AM »

Some people will like the shows, some won't.

Some will be on Brian's wavelength, some won't.

It's cool.

FWIW, it is my impression that Brian pushes for the hits at the shows, and it's the band members who often have to talk him into doing rarer things. He's proud of the standards, as is his right.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy

Hey Jude - at Brian's show, he said everything but, "Hotwire the hot rods!" Brian has every right in the world to use those car songs and it went over like wild fire.  As I counted about 19 songs that are routinely done by the touring band, and some others such as Heroes, and Sail On Sailor are done in the UK shows. They (the touring band) recently did a Fendertones version of Surf's Up, which got great reviews on this forum. And, WH is done fairly often since 2013. I'm thinking your analysis is off.  

And Foskett didn't have a voice change operation when he went to the touring band.  Try being objective and fair to each member, regardless of where they are working in the BB/BW sphere.  Wink

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t think you’re reading my posts. I didn't post that asterisked setlist analysis; someone else did. Not that I disagreed with it, and I don't think the person who posted it was making any reference or comparison to Mike's touring band.

I just agreed that Brian is justified in doing car songs; I just defended him doing them. I also never commented on Foskett’s voice in Mike’s current band; I was talking about his work in Brian’s band during his 14-year-tenure, having seen Jeff perform in person with Brian around nine or ten times.

In fact, we’ve been doing a lot of internal comparisons among Brian’s various tours and setlists. I don’t think anyone even brought Mike’s touring band/setlist into the discussion as of late. I also don’t think anyone was discussing the Fendertones in any context either, and certainly nobody was claiming, what, that they *didn’t* record a cover version of “Surf’s Up?”
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:40:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t think you’re reading my posts.

I just agreed that Brian is justified in doing car songs; I just defended him doing them. I also never commented on Foskett’s voice in Mike’s current band; I was talking about his work in Brian’s band during his 14-year-tenure, having seen Jeff perform in person with Brian around nine or ten times.

#503 reply
"Foskett, who overall did a fine job with Brian over the years, was more erratic and pitchy some of the shows I saw in his 14 years with the band than Matt has ever been at any Beach Boys or Al or Brian show I've seen or heard." 

Brian did 3 of 33 or about 10% of the setlist with new songs.  Sharing with another performer reduces stage time.  It did not seem structured as the Pet Sounds, Smile or TLOS tour, doing the entire album.  And whether it was a direct or indirect diss, "erratic and pitchy" is no compliment.  JMHO

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: July 07, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »

Some people will like the shows, some won't.

Some will be on Brian's wavelength, some won't.

It's cool.

FWIW, it is my impression that Brian pushes for the hits at the shows, and it's the band members who often have to talk him into doing rarer things. He's proud of the standards, as is his right.

That’s a good point/theory. Not saying anyone else in the band doesn’t like the early material, but I’ve never pictured the other band guys pushing for “Shut Down” for instance. In fact, Brian sang over/with Al on those songs on opening night. He seemed to really be into singing “Little Deuce Coupe” with Al.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: July 07, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
California Girls *
Shut Down *
Little Deuce Coupe *
I Get Around *
This Whole World
Girl Don't Tell Me
Honeycomb
Then He Kissed Me
In My Room *
Surfer Girl *
Don't Worry Baby *
One Kind of Love
Sail Away
Wild Honey
Sail On, Sailor
Darlin' *
Wake the World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Surf's Up
The Right Time
Wouldn't It Be Nice *
Sloop John B *
God Only Knows *
Good Vibrations *
Encore:
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda *
Barbara Ann *
Surfin' U.S.A. *
Fun, Fun, Fun *
Love and Mercy

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t think you’re reading my posts.

#503 reply
"Foskett, who overall did a fine job with Brian over the years, was more erratic and pitchy some of the shows I saw in his 14 years with the band than Matt has ever been at any Beach Boys or Al or Brian show I've seen or heard."  

Brian did 3 of 33 or about 10% of the setlist with new songs.  Sharing with another performer reduces stage time.  It did not seem structured as the Pet Sounds, Smile or TLOS tour, doing the entire album.  And whether it was a direct or indirect diss, "erratic and pitchy" is no compliment.  JMHO

Nothing in that commentary pertains to Mike’s current touring band. I discussed Brian’s band, Al’s band, the pre’98 touring Beach Boys (as it pertains to discussing Matt; and no, the hand full of post-Al shows he did with Mike doesn’t count, though he sounded fine at those examples I’ve heard too). But nothing about Mike’s current band. You are introducing that into the discussion.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:51:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 07, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »

Here are my thoughts on the Boston show. It wasn't a great night for me, which unfortunately affected my enjoyment of the show. But we'll get to that.

Got to the venue in good time, had an excellent spot, right in the middle. A sizable crowd, with a smattering of empty seats. I got the impression that a lot of people had seen the movie.

Rodriguez was, as most mentioned, a great opener. I didn't really expect much from him, but he was engaging and funny. Very loose, with a fun vibe from the crowd.

There was then an intermission, and I said hi to Ray Lawlor, who was there in the flesh.

Brian and the band started at about 8:30. I found the sound a little overbright -- it's an issue at the Waterfront Pavilion in Boston. I've seen a handful of shows there, and I don't think the sound has ever been clear.

The spirit onstage was definitely vibrant, and Brian was very enthusiastic in introducing the tunes. He seemed a little tired to me. I've mentioned this before -- it was the fourth show in four days for him, and that would wear on almost any performer. Most of the time, his voice was clear and strong -- it honestly hasn't changed significantly in tone or range since I first saw him live in 2000. That being said, he also had a frog in his throat, or some kind of drainage -- he had to have water brought to him a couple of times over the show.

Highlights --

Heroes and Villains -- They did a cool lighting effect on the various guys singing (Matt for the high part, Nicky for "you're under arrest" that emphasized the tune's cinematic quality.

Little Deuce Coupe -- Brian and Al sang this in unison, after Al had tackled Shut Down on his own. They did something similar on "Somewhere Quiet" and "Whatever Happened on NPP, and I can see why BW brought that approach into the live arena. The dual voices sounded excellent.

Girl Don't Tell Me -- A debut for the tour, now refashioned as a duet between Brian and Matt. This really sparkled, which I would not have expected.

In My Room / Surfer Girl -- A two-fer, with Brian and the group singing sweetly. Standards, but they go over incredibly well.

Don't Worry Baby -- Matt J. was seriously terrific on this. He sounds like family in the band, not a hired gun. And the audience thought he was terrific.

Wild Honey -- I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, but holy mother of mercy, it's like a different band cranks into action when Blondie comes out. Wow.

Wake the World  / Busy Doin' Nothin' -- Al amazing in the first, Brian channeling his '60s self in the second. Stunning.

Surf's Up -- Brian had some water brought over to him here, and some Matt ghosting in spots, but he sounded mostly like he did in the 2004 Smile shows.

The Right Time -- This really works as another Al-BW feature. Not the most in-depth song ever, but it has a nice loping energy and fits the setlist well.

At about this point in the show -- about 25 songs in -- I start to have some issues. I'm a diabetic, and I didn't have all my supplies with me, etc. etc. Nothing serious, but I needed to make sure that everything was in order, and I couldn't do it in a darkened amphitheater. So I had to leave as the band played Sloop. As I walked away, I head BW singing a lovely God Only Knows.

So that's the reason I ultimately didn't post as much about the show. I had a truncated experience, and my own anxiety about what was going on with me meant that I couldn't escape into the music as the show was hitting its climax.

All of that being said, though, I will reiterate something that I've said before, after watching the BW/Beck show, and after seeing the new album come together.

Brian Wilson is done with being a solo artist. The C50 confirmed to him that he was happiest and most productive working in a group situation.

So, once the BBs fell apart (again), Brian and those around him have set up an alternative group. Brian, Al and Blondie are the core members, with Darian and Matt taking extra leads between them. Going to see a BW show now means that you will see these five guys sing and perform, but doing so in a context where it's Brian's music and arrangements, and where he's playing and singing and leading the band throughout the show. There has been a fundamental change in approach and attitude.

It is, I believe, above all a creative change. This is how BW wants to present himself and his music -- not as someone hogging all the attention, but as a creator and conductor. It also allows him to show off on the songs he does best, play along on the songs he likes playing, and basically enjoy himself as much as he can in live performance.

Interesting times, and a lovely show. Enjoy it while you can.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:22:38 AM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 07, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »

Brian Wilson is done with being a solo artist. The C50 confirmed to him that he was happiest and most productive working in a group situation.

So, once the BBs fell apart (again), Brian and those around him have set up an alternative group. Brian, Al and Blondie are the core members, with Darian and Matt doing extra leads between them. So going to see a BW show now means that you're going to see these five guys sing and perform, but doing so in a context where it's Brian's music and arrangements, and where he's playing and singing and leading the band throughout the show. There has been a fundamental change in approach and attitude.

It is, I believe, above all a creative change. This is how BW wants to present himself and his music -- not as someone hogging all the attention, but as a creator and conductor. It also allows him to show off on the songs he does best, play along on the songs he likes playing, and basically enjoy himself as much as he can in live performance.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this explanation.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: July 07, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »

Here are my thoughts on the Boston show. It wasn't a great night for me, which unfortunately affected my enjoyment of the show. But we'll get to that.

Got to the venue in good time, had an excellent spot, right in the middle. A sizable crowd, with a smattering of empty seats. I got the impression that a lot of people had seen the movie.

Rodriguez was, as most mentioned, a great opener. I didn't really expect much from him, but he was engaging and funny. Very loose, with a fun vibe from the crowd.

There was then an intermission, and I said hi to Ray Lawlor, who was there in the flesh.

Brian and the band started at about 8:30. I found the sound a little overbright -- it's an issue at the Waterfront Pavilion in Boston. I've seen a handful of shows there, and I don't think the sound has ever been clear.

The spirit onstage was definitely vibrant, and Brian was very enthusiastic in introducing the tunes. He seemed a little tired to me. I've mentioned this before -- it was the fourth show in four days for him, and that would wear on almost any performer. Most of the time, his voice was clear and strong -- it honestly hasn't changed significantly in tone or range since I first saw him live in 2000. That being said, he also had a frog in his throat, or some kind of drainage -- he had to have water brought to him a couple of times over the show.

Highlights --

Heroes and Villains -- They did a cool lighting effect on the various guys singing (Matt for the high part, Nicky for "you're under arrest" that emphasized the tune's cinematic quality.

Little Deuce Coupe -- Brian and Al sang this in unison, after Al had tackled Shut Down on his own. They did something similar on "Somewhere Quiet" and "Whatever Happened on NPP, and I can see why BW brought it into the live arena. The dual voices sounded excellent.

Girl Don't Tell Me -- A debut for the tour, no refashioned as a duet between Brian and Matt. This really sparkled, which I would not have expected.

In My Room / Surfer Girl -- A beautiful two-fer, with Brian and the group singing sweetly. Standards, but they go over incredibly well.

Don't Worry Baby -- Matt J. was seriously terrific on this. He sounds like family in the band, not like a hired gun. And the audience thought he was terrific.

Wild Honey -- I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, but holy mother of mercy, it's like a different band cranks into action when Blondie comes out. Amazing.

Wake the World  / Busy Doin' Nothin' -- Al amazing in the first, Brian channeling his 60s self in the second. Stunning.

Surf's Up -- Brian had some water brought over to him here, and some Matt ghosting in spots, but he sounded mostly like he did in the 2004 Smile shows.

The Right Time -- This really works as another Al-BW feature. Not the most in-depth song ever, but it has a nice loping energy and fits in well.

At about this point in the show -- about 25 songs in -- I start to have some issues. I'm a diabetic, and I didn't have all my supplies with me, and etc. etc. Nothing serious, but I needed to make sure that everything was in order, and I couldn't do it in a darkened amphitheater. So I had to leave as the band played Sloop. And as I walked away, I head BW singing a lovely God Only Knows.

So that's the reason I ultimately didn't post as much about the show. I had a truncated experience, and my own anxiety about what was going on with me meant that I couldn't escape into the music as the show was hitting its climax.

All of that being said, though, I will reiterate something that I've said before, after watching the BW/Beck show, and after watching the new album come together.

So, once the BBs fell apart (again), Brian and those around him have set up an alternative group. Brian, Al and Blondie are the core members, with Darian and Matt doing extra leads between them. So going to see a BW show now means that you're going to see these five guys sing and perform, but doing so in a context where it's Brian's music and arrangements, and where he's playing and singing and leading the band throughout the show. There has been a fundamental change in approach and attitude.

Excellent thoughts. I hope perhaps Brian does another swing around the US and you get another chance to fully escape into the music. I've definitely had experiences like that, where various *other* issues make it difficult to fully immerse.

I think you're spot on about the group aspect, and I'm glad that they are embracing this group presentation without all of the politics that might otherwise be involved. I sensed there were still some politics surrounding aspects of Al's stint with Brian in 2006/2007, but it doesn't feel like that this time (not that those 06/07 shows were bad in any way; I immensely enjoyed the two '07 shows with Brian and Al together, yes, even the one where Brian took a momentary nap on stage). It isn't a Brian show with others dropping in (I suppose this is the case with Blondie to some degree still; it will be interesting to see if Blondie is involved more heavily in future shows if he is invited along), but a "Brian Wilson Band." If I thought it would make any difference or matter at this stage, I'd perhaps suggest they actually use that name. But it doesn't matter. The show is just that, and it is I think a slightly new era for Brian's touring. I hope they can keep it going at least for a little while longer.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:25:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »

Ugh I hope they keep doing Busy Doing Nothing and This Whole World by the time the SF show happens (btw if anyone wants to meet up at the tiki bar nearby before the show let me know).  Grin
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 07, 2015, 12:00:15 PM »

Highlights --

Little Deuce Coupe -- Brian and Al sang this in unison, after Al had tackled Shut Down on his own. They did something similar on "Somewhere Quiet" and "Whatever Happened on NPP, and I can see why BW brought that approach into the live arena. The dual voices sounded excellent.

Girl Don't Tell Me -- A debut for the tour, now refashioned as a duet between Brian and Matt. This really sparkled, which I would not have expected.

In My Room / Surfer Girl -- A two-fer, with Brian and the group singing sweetly. Standards, but they go over incredibly well.

Don't Worry Baby -- Matt J. was seriously terrific on this. He sounds like family in the band, not a hired gun. And the audience thought he was terrific.

Wild Honey -- I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, but holy mother of mercy, it's like a different band cranks into action when Blondie comes out. Wow.

Wake the World  / Busy Doin' Nothin' -- Al amazing in the first, Brian channeling his '60s self in the second. Stunning.

The Right Time -- This really works as another Al-BW feature. Not the most in-depth song ever, but it has a nice loping energy and fits the setlist well.

At about this point in the show -- about 25 songs in -- I start to have some issues. I'm a diabetic, and I didn't have all my supplies with me, etc. etc. Nothing serious, but I needed to make sure that everything was in order, and I couldn't do it in a darkened amphitheater. So I had to leave as the band played Sloop. As I walked away, I head BW singing a lovely God Only Knows.

All of that being said, though, I will reiterate something that I've said before, after watching the BW/Beck show, and after seeing the new album come together.

So, once the BBs fell apart (again), Brian and those around him have set up an alternative group. Brian, Al and Blondie are the core members, with Darian and Matt taking extra leads between them. Going to see a BW show now means that you will see these five guys sing and perform, but doing so in a context where it's Brian's music and arrangements, and where he's playing and singing and leading the band throughout the show. There has been a fundamental change in approach and attitude.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Superb review and afterthought.  w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 07, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »

OSD was a witness to this in philly. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: July 07, 2015, 12:15:55 PM »

(hand to God, if I'm lying, then my handle is not 37!ws...I actually sat there last night wondering if Jim McShane was there and was going to be complaining about it.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx