gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:09:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian / Al / Blondie Summer 2015 Tour Thread  (Read 162953 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »

Didn’t someone here have Scott Totten sign their “Pet Sounds” LP? To his credit, the story I remember reading was that he very respectfully demurred for the obvious reasons and had to be extra persuaded to do so once it was made clear that the person really truly understood he wasn’t on the album but still wanted him to sign.

There is indeed a point at which you have to fall back on whatever someone wants if it’s their thing. Maybe someone wants their “Pet Sounds” LP signed by Wilfred Brimley. Or a photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore….

+1

This might deserve it's own thread. I've seen Bruce sign the back of Pet Sounds, since he doesn't appear on the front cover. I think that is more the fan's preference then his policy, since I have seen him sign the front cover. There is a 15 Big Ones LP on eBay right now signed by Brian, Mike and Bruce, for a steal, I have no interest with Bruce inking it. Again, I think some people are commemorating a moment they had with one of the Beach Boys--for me, as a collectible and historical piece, it ruins it.
What does that have to do with Bruce signing the album? He's not on the front cover for contractual reasons, not because he didn't sing or play on it. What about Surfer Girl? Can Al not sign that album? He is on at least 1/2 the tracks. He's not pictured on Little Deuce Coupe either, but is on almost all of the tracks. Can Blondie sign my Samuel Adams bar napkin if he has never tried drinking that brand of beer?

I guess that wasn't my point. Al and Bruce both don't appear on the cover of Summer Days (and Summer Nights), but I personally would get both of them to sign it. My comment about Bruce signing Pet Sounds on the back was more about the preference of individual collectors, not the legitimacy of having him sign the album. Like I have said in almost all my posts, people can get whatever they want signed, and its clear most of the band members are fairly liberal when it comes to signing stuff they weren't personally involved with (i.e. I saw a copy of Smile last night signed by Blondie). That doesn't mean I would personally do it.

For all I have written about this, my basic point is Blondie signing CATP, Holland or In Concert is preferable to having him sign Surfin' Safari. Feel free to disagree.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: July 06, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »

Things can be worse. I remember an infamous “Made in USA” album on eBay years ago signed by all of the members including Dennis. Now *that* is an inappropriate signature if ever there was one.   LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »

From Brian's facebook:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 06, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »

Great review and most excellent photos Marty!

I drove in from Pittsburgh for the show, because yes - I kind of feel like this is the grand hurrah touring-wise. Ditto on reports on Brian's demeanor; I haven't seen him as engaged throughout a show as I have last night in Detroit. Hearing magestic music in such a classic old school theater made it all the better. The Fox Detroit hails from a classic era of theater architecture, where going to the movies was a spiritual event. The design of this classic hall is like a wedding cake dipped in gold.

The band seemed loose, the atmosphere was fun and it was also good to see Lizik back on the bass!

A couple of notes:

Yeah, the setlist was identical to Toronto. Folks in the UK shouldn't feel as if they're missing out from too much of NPP. It was a subtle nod to the LP (would've liked to hear stuff such as 'Whatever Happened' but alas), along with a nice smattering of deep cuts such as Busy Doin' Nothin. The real wild-card for the UK is Blondie...as in, will he be there? Which brings me to...

Apart from the obligatory rawk-out for the encores, I've never heard the Brian Wilson band rock OUT mid set the way they did with Blondie on Wild Honey. There was a little less of the 'by the numbers studio recreation' in favor of pure jam. WH went on and on and kept building and building (with Blondie leading the way on guitar). God what a hot short set - leading into Sail on Sailor no less. CLASSIC.

For those who haven't heard Rodriguez - what a nice set. I'll have to search out that Doc that came out a few years back (Searching for Sugarman), but I'll sum up his style as the vocal timbre of Donovan with that mid-era Dylan riddler lyrics. Such a great overlooked artist that is finally getting his due stateside. And last night in his hometown, no less. Again, classic.

Some folks bemoan the parsing out of Brian leads to others. Nonsense. What we have now is the 'Brian Wilson Revue', and it works. It celebrates the past and it tangibly brings it to the present. There's a balancing act here obviously, but it works.

As an aside, some rocker dude sat down next to my seat stage right. In conversation, we got to talking about his music. He's been playing the part of Ronnie Wood in a Stones cover band, and he just got selected as a lead guitar in a new project. What project? He's backing Liv Tyler's mom. Holy sh*t...it wasn't until I got home that I realized that he'll be backing Bebe Buell in her new project. She's a classic rock and roll lady, romantically linked with Rundgrun, Steve Tyler (obviously), Elvis Costello, et all. Apparently, she was an inspiration for the lead character in Almost Famous.

And so it goes. All of Brian's shows are special moments in time. Go see 'em. You only live once. ENJOY.

-----------------

Oh yeah, I DID meet Add Some (Lee) in the restroom after the show. We had a short pleasant conversation, but we kept it short - because a gentleman should always limit his conversation while waiting in line at the restroom.  Grin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 06, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »

Here right now and dying of anticipation!  I'll hold out a tiny glimmer of hope for Funky Pretty. Who knows, this could be the night!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 06, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »

They just ran through Honeycomb in soundcheck. Brian totally in charge.

Scott Bennett came out into the crowd to use the bathroom or something and told the people standing next to me that the tour bus broke down and he taught it to all of them while they waited.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:39:01 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 06, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »

Here right now and dying of anticipation!  I'll hold out a tiny glimmer of hope for Funky Pretty. Who knows, this could be the night!

WHOA!!  This Could Be The Night....  Love to hear Brian sing that one!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 06, 2015, 05:25:26 PM »

WHOA!!  This Could Be The Night....  Love to hear Brian sing that one!

I'd kill to hear that too... hope I didn't accidentally get your hopes up!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: July 06, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

Thank you to everyone who has posted reviews and reports from the shows so far. It's great to read all of them!

It was a week ago tonight I was there in Philly. After a week I still haven't shaken it, and am convinced it was perhaps the best show I have seen in person. It's cool to read how most if not all reviews of the tour have said it's the most relaxed and comfortable Brian has been on stage, how for the audience it was a total blast, and how much of an *experience* this has been to take part in, a shared experience and a connection between fans and performers. The band...what more can we say? They're the best, the perfect musicians to be on stage for these shows.

I wanted to post something I thought of today. This appeared January of this year, what was the kick-off to a really great year so far. This is the quote, and I think perhaps the spirit of the words has been one of the driving forces in everything that the fans have been able to experience so far in 2015:

Hey - it's Brian. I'm here - let's have some fun

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 06, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

Thank you to everyone who has posted reviews and reports from the shows so far. It's great to read all of them!

It was a week ago tonight I was there in Philly. After a week I still haven't shaken it, and am convinced it was perhaps the best show I have seen in person. It's cool to read how most if not all reviews of the tour have said it's the most relaxed and comfortable Brian has been on stage, how for the audience it was a total blast, and how much of an *experience* this has been to take part in, a shared experience and a connection between fans and performers. The band...what more can we say? They're the best, the perfect musicians to be on stage for these shows.

I wanted to post something I thought of today. This appeared January of this year, what was the kick-off to a really great year so far. This is the quote, and I think perhaps the spirit of the words has been one of the driving forces in everything that the fans have been able to experience so far in 2015:

Hey - it's Brian. I'm here - let's have some fun

There was a lot of love going back and forth at the Mann between Brian, his incredible band and the audience. It was Valentine's day all over again. You could cut it with a knife. All those standing ovations and encores were completely from the heart. And like GF, It's something that stays with you for an extended period of time. What a night! 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 06, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

They played "Honeycomb" tonight at Ravinia! It was really sloppy so Brian aborted the song about halfway through.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: July 06, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »

In short....Ravinia was just plain FUN. Seriously. I told The Mrs. that I feel Brian was phoning it in -- but in a >>GOOD<< way. He totally owned the show and it was clear that he was there to have fun and be loose and not really care about being perfect all the way through. (But he performed VERY well. And he definitely put in some extra effort for "God Only Knows.") I gotta admit I did miss Jeff a little, as Matt wasn't quite the same Matt I saw in 1996, but you couldn't beat the group dynamic...great interaction among Brian, Blondie, Al, Scott, Darian....

Judging from Ravinia's web site still selling tickets, the show wasn't sold out, but man, it was pretty packed. There were some empty seats, but not a lot, and the lawn was jammed.

I thought I'd be bothered that they do "Wild Honey" in E instead of G (songs do NOT sound right to me when they're in different keys!) but...Blondie just KILLED! wow!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »

So cool hearing "Wake the World" and "Busy Doin' Nothin.'" The transition between the two was a little jarring but it was a huge treat nonetheless.

Took me a minute to realize they were performing "Honeycomb"! Maybe the 'rock 'n roll' album is closer to reality than we think.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »

Amazing show. Brian was funny as hell. Especially during Honeycomb and the intro to Surf's Up, which he called "the one song here I don't really like doing" and then him and Al went back and forth for a while over it.

It was my first time seeing any combination of the Beach Boys, and it lived up to all my expectations. Being seated in between two sets of fans was fun (one woman, who was also a friend of Nelson's, was shocked that a 19 year old would go to a Brian Wilson concert alone), and hearing the guy behind me sing Brian's part on the single edit of California during the song (they stuck to the album version, without the "on my way"s) was great.

The only bad part was after the show ended, I hung around the stage door with two other fans waiting to see if anyone would come out and sign something. Scott Bennett came out and apologized for not being able to hook us up with autographs, but then Blondie came out... and didn't do anything. He had a massive champagne glass in one hand, and a huge bottle of wine in the other. He said he'd sign some things later, because he "was drinking his wine". It was really weird, because he was just standing outside the gate right near the public, staring up at the drizzling sky as if he wasn't sure if the rain would cause him to melt or not. Then he went back inside, and we found out Brian had already flown the coop. Blondie then came out again, stood around again, declining to sign anything, then finally left for good, but not before Scott walked by again and pointed out that Al was standing about ten feet behind us, chatting up some old ladies. By this time the security was trying to get us all to leave, so we were shooed out while Al invited the women in to talk where it was dry. No autographs from him either, unfortunately.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »

Ok, dumb question...what is Honeycomb? Not familiar with that song.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »

Amazing show. Brian was funny as hell. Especially during Honeycomb and the intro to Surf's Up, which he called "the one song here I don't really like doing" and then him and Al went back and forth for a while over it.

It's a spiritual experience hearing him sing "Surf's Up", so I'm sorry to hear it's not at the top of his list...(meaning, that I wish he got as much joy out of performing it as I get from hearing it!) but I respect Brian's views (of course!) and at least it seems like he doesn't hate singing it; perhaps he just wishes it was replaced with something he's more into. Still, hopefully he can go ahead and change it, because Brian being happy is more important than one fantastic song being removed form the set...and it's just wonderful that he, Al, Blondie, and the band are doing their thing, and so excellently!  3D I'm quite thankful, to say the very, very least!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:17:40 PM by BrianAlDaveFan » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2015, 12:30:11 AM »

Same question here.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2015, 12:34:15 AM »

Same question here.

I wasn't at Ravinia but Honeycomb was a #1 crossover hit for Jimmie Rodgers (on the Roulette label) in 1957 that Brian had covered before. Here's the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVMdzT6FXs
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:36:42 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »

Brian recorded a basic track for "Honeycomb" at the same 10/74 session as "It's O.K.". Marilyn's vocal was added by spring 1976.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2015, 07:00:48 AM »

Brian recorded a basic track for "Honeycomb" at the same 10/74 session as "It's O.K.". Marilyn's vocal was added by spring 1976.

So the unreleased Honeycomb is the Jimmie Rodgers hit? I thought I had heard it was a synth experiment.
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 07, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »

I heard them practice Honeycomb during sound check, and I assumed it wouldn't be brought out during the show because they hardly did a full run through. When they played it during the show, Brian missed a lot of the lyrics, Blondie walked on and tried helping but then the song ended. Brian wanted to do it again and Al was trying to get the words back onto the teleprompter, but they didn't have any luck so Brian said they should move on.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »

I was at the Ravinia show last night, and in my opinion, it was magical. Brian seemed to really be having a nice time. He MC'd most of the show, which was surprising. He played half of Honeycomb, and said, "Wait- can we start over? I messed up the first verse." The band started over, but BW said, "Wait never mind. The next song is..." It was hilarious!! Al sounded INCREDIBLE too! Although, he kept dropping his guitar pick and Probyn would run over an give him a new one. When the band played "Surf's Up", Brian said "This is the only number I don't like..." Which wasn't surprising to me, because it probably brings back bad memories. Then Al said, "WHAT? This is from the SMiLE album, the most brilliant piece of music ever recorded!" And Brian said, "Okay......."
It was a great show. And everyone was giving it their all.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: July 07, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »

The only bad part was after the show ended, I hung around the stage door with two other fans waiting to see if anyone would come out and sign something. Scott Bennett came out and apologized for not being able to hook us up with autographs, but then Blondie came out... and didn't do anything. He had a massive champagne glass in one hand, and a huge bottle of wine in the other. He said he'd sign some things later, because he "was drinking his wine". It was really weird, because he was just standing outside the gate right near the public, staring up at the drizzling sky as if he wasn't sure if the rain would cause him to melt or not. Then he went back inside, and we found out Brian had already flown the coop. Blondie then came out again, stood around again, declining to sign anything, then finally left for good, but not before Scott walked by again and pointed out that Al was standing about ten feet behind us, chatting up some old ladies. By this time the security was trying to get us all to leave, so we were shooed out while Al invited the women in to talk where it was dry. No autographs from him either, unfortunately.

Maybe Blondie reads the board and saw the criticism of his signing copies of "Smile" and "Pet Sounds!"  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »

What I'll say about Blondie is that if Brian really does make his next album a Rock and Roll tribute, he better have Blondie on every damn track, and record it live with the band in the studio like he did in the old days instead of hundreds of overdubs. Do that and the record will absolutely crackle.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 07, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »

I can't really blame any of the members for not signing autographs before or after the shows. Isn't that what the VIP tickets are for?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx