gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681631 Posts in 27650 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 21, 2024, 08:13:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy and myth?  (Read 29025 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »

I think the issue of the honored guest status comes down to what happened to others and what also happened to me. I logged on, saw a post from a screen name I had never seen before, and I had no idea who it was - Yet this unknown screen name had honored guest status. I guess the suggestion is for honored guests to do as all of them basically do already with no issues previous to this (I think...), they post using their actual name. If the screen name hadn't been unknown to 99.9% of board members in this case, and had a real name been used, it wouldn't have been the issue it became.

If people had minded their own business about who did or didn't have a "title", then this wouldn't have become the issue it became. There have been times that I have seen a "Honoured Guest" here without knowing who it was, and been curios. But I just assume there is a reason for it. We are all human beings. We are all Beach Boys fans. Why do we have to be snobbish and act like there is an enemy intruding in on our little space, just because we don't know exactly who somebody is? If you are curios, politely ask somebody in a private message. If you dont want to ask well,...just mind your own damn business and go about your day. I still don't know who Debbie Keil is. But it really doesn't matter. I don't need to know who she is. She's a fellow Beach Boys fan, and that's good enough for me.

I agree. But what's the point of being an honored guest if people do not know who they are talking to? There has to be some sort of public persona to the honored guest title; otherwise why bother? And all this regardless of how merited the status was.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »

I think the issue of the honored guest status comes down to what happened to others and what also happened to me. I logged on, saw a post from a screen name I had never seen before, and I had no idea who it was - Yet this unknown screen name had honored guest status. I guess the suggestion is for honored guests to do as all of them basically do already with no issues previous to this (I think...), they post using their actual name. If the screen name hadn't been unknown to 99.9% of board members in this case, and had a real name been used, it wouldn't have been the issue it became.

If people had minded their own business about who did or didn't have a "title", then this wouldn't have become the issue it became. There have been times that I have seen a "Honoured Guest" here without knowing who it was, and been curios. But I just assume there is a reason for it. We are all human beings. We are all Beach Boys fans. Why do we have to be snobbish and act like there is an enemy intruding in on our little space, just because we don't know exactly who somebody is? If you are curios, politely ask somebody in a private message. If you dont want to ask well,...just mind your own damn business and go about your day. I still don't know who Debbie Keil is. But it really doesn't matter. I don't need to know who she is. She's a fellow Beach Boys fan, and that's good enough for me.

Disagree--  Honoured Guests should be easily identifiable, ie using their legitimate name, else why not simply be a SS ass like the rest of us? 
As to Debbie Keil, she seems to have left the premises, so it's moot

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »

Good grief, it always comes down to whose skin is thinner than the others. Very unproductive.

My sympathies to Mike, he has had troubles and we should all hope for those to ease for him. One way to do that, however, is to realize that no matter how much any of us try to get to the absolute "truth" of the BBs life/times/career, it will always remain elusive in one way or another. The key is not to sweat it--not easy if you're obsessed (as we all are to varying degrees).

Jon Stebbins does nail it (not surprising to me in the slightest, BTW, he's been doin' it for years). L&M is a great film. Yes, there are some "factual inaccuracies." But the psychology (in both historical segments) is so acute and astute, and the performances of Paul Dano and John Cusack are so good, that these are reduced to quibbles. You walk out of the theatre thanking God that some alignment of forces permitted Brian to survive his ordeals and to wind up as intact as he has. You see someone whose talent outstripped his emotional maturity and paid a terrible price, caught in a vise grip of bullies and enablers.

The film shows that 60s Brian, with all his talent and sensitivity, was unable to see how he would need a different path to the particular type of "mess of help" he would need "to stand alone." Which we all do--and don't--at the same time, always.  A problematized parental foundation often provides the drive for success, but not for emotional stability and maturity. That had to come later, and against great odds. To his credit and to our relief, Brian was able to do it, and L&M is a superb encapsulation of that story. Emotional truth, you can't beat it.

Very sorry to hear that Debbie has apparently left--if you're still lurking, Debbie, love and mercy to you and everyone hopes that you will change your mind.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

I agree an honored guest ought to use their real name and I was confused at first, but on the other hand it took less then a minute to find out.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »

I agree. Also, Howie talks albout Mike not using his full name in "Honored Guest", yet I don't see him or anyone else for that matter get on Mark Linett for not using his full name (uses yrplace) or Steven Gaines who uses "Beach Boy Author" or even "aeijtzsche" who to this day I don't know who he/she is. If we're going to be critical about this, then let's do it fairly and across the board.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »

Yeah, going forward I think that's going to be a requirement...unless it's somebody like Brian (who is already registered here anyway)or Melinda, or Mike and Jackie, just to use examples. Would YOU tell Al he couldn't use the screen name 'Honkin' Down The Highway'? LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »

Good grief, it always comes down to whose skin is thinner than the others. Very unproductive.

My sympathies to Mike, he has had troubles and we should all hope for those to ease for him. One way to do that, however, is to realize that no matter how much any of us try to get to the absolute "truth" of the BBs life/times/career, it will always remain elusive in one way or another. The key is not to sweat it--not easy if you're obsessed (as we all are to varying degrees).

Jon Stebbins does nail it (not surprising to me in the slightest, BTW, he's been doin' it for years). L&M is a great film. Yes, there are some "factual inaccuracies." But the psychology (in both historical segments) is so acute and astute, and the performances of Paul Dano and John Cusack are so good, that these are reduced to quibbles. You walk out of the theatre thanking God that some alignment of forces permitted Brian to survive his ordeals and to wind up as intact as he has. You see someone whose talent outstripped his emotional maturity and paid a terrible price, caught in a vise grip of bullies and enablers.

The film shows that 60s Brian, with all his talent and sensitivity, was unable to see how he would need a different path to the particular type of "mess of help" he would need "to stand alone." Which we all do--and don't--at the same time, always.  A problematized parental foundation often provides the drive for success, but not for emotional stability and maturity. That had to come later, and against great odds. To his credit and to our relief, Brian was able to do it, and L&M is a superb encapsulation of that story. Emotional truth, you can't beat it.

Very sorry to hear that Debbie has apparently left--if you're still lurking, Debbie, love and mercy to you and everyone hopes that you will change your mind.

Well said.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »

Yeah, going forward I think that's going to be a requirement...unless it's somebody like Brian (who is already registered here anyway)or Melinda, or Mike and Jackie, just to use examples. Would YOU tell Al he couldn't use the screen name 'Honkin' Down The Highway'? LOL
If it's a Beach Boy, they can use any handle they want. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »

again-- 1; Honored Guests should be using their name. Else why be "honored"

If Al ( or anyone else) wants to post as a SSA he can use any handle he chooses, otherwise, see #1.
 And that should apply to everyone including Linett, Gaines, aeijtzsche ( josh?)  and anyone else tripping the light anonymously

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »

True confession time...I'm actually Ricky Fataar.

Just kidding.

I'm Batman.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »

again-- 1; Honored Guests should be using their name. Else why be "honored"

If Al ( or anyone else) wants to post as a SSA he can use any handle he chooses, otherwise, see #1.
 And that should apply to everyone including Linett, Gaines, aeijtzsche ( josh?)  and anyone else tripping the light anonymously
Josh, who? Inquiring minds want to know. Wink I've seen this person post here every once in awhile, but never knew exactly why they were honored, still don't.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »

He was one of the original mods here, and I think he works for Capitol, or BRI, or somebody now. I took his place when he stepped down.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »

He was one of the original mods here, and I think he works for Capitol, or BRI, or somebody now. I took his place when he stepped down.

whatever. he should be using his own name

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

He? He has himself listed as a female. Man, I am so confused! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »

I've already explained it. This was a *new* screen name that on first glance from the two moderators who saw this thread was unknown to either of us. Yes, it was easy to figure out who it was, but from an admin standpoint it went something like this before we knew who it was: neither one of us immediately knew the screen name or how it got honored guest status. That's it, end of story. It would have been helpful had the honored guest Mike not used a new screen name that was unrecognizable to the moderators on board, and looking back it seems like it would have cleared up a lot of issues before the discussion even got started on the status of posters. I also respect any honored guest's choice for privacy or other reasons to stay under a screen name, but in this case it was something of a surprise for even the moderators to see an unknown name pop up as honored guest. The other honored guests either have been on the board since the beginning or have screen names that most posters know.

Hopefully that clears it up and ends this part of the issue.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »

I've already explained it. This was a *new* screen name that on first glance from the two moderators who saw this thread was unknown to either of us. Yes, it was easy to figure out who it was, but from an admin standpoint it went something like this before we knew who it was: neither one of us immediately knew the screen name or how it got honored guest status. That's it, end of story. It would have been helpful had the honored guest Mike not used a new screen name that was unrecognizable to the moderators on board, and looking back it seems like it would have cleared up a lot of issues before the discussion even got started on the status of posters. I also respect any honored guest's choice for privacy or other reasons to stay under a screen name, but in this case it was something of a surprise for even the moderators to see an unknown name pop up as honored guest. The other honored guests either have been on the board since the beginning or have screen names that most posters know.

clears up the eder issue, but not the rest. and doesn't address the concerns previously voiced

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »

Nobody is getting on the Mods. It is just the fact that we can't have people calling someone out for not using their real name and let others do it without a whisper. With regular members I am constantly confused with whom I am conversing with. Some members are constantly changing their handle. As for privacy, I don't get it. If yrplace is answering questions posed to Mark in the Mark Linett thread, then there goes that anonymity aspect.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:18:40 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »

Just kidding.

I'm Batman.
you are billyman!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »

Just kidding.

I'm Batman.
you are billyman!
Indeed, Billyman!  LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

Time to flash the billy signal! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »

Set an example, Mr Chris Bgas! LOL
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:53:21 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »

....f you are a known entity, Honored guest, moderator or part of the regular rotation of smiley posters, you have to have fairly thick skin to participate in a high-profile way..

...but I come back because the smartest Beach Boys fans are here. This is where the opinion is shaped, and where new things are revealed. Its a good board because it's free flowing and alive with well informed opinions. No one is above the fray.

^^^^^^^^This.^^^^^^^^
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »

Set an example, Mr Chris Bgas! LOL

Not til I get Honored Guest status

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »

Time to flash the billy signal! LOL

Last time I flashed anything, I ended up detained.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx