gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:31:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Moody Blues - Timeless Flight Box Set  (Read 1505 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »

In June of 2013, the Moodies released this gargantuan 17-disc box set to celebrate their "45th" anniversary. It became a veteran cosmic rocker (out of print) with uncommon speed and the few copies out there fetch insane prices on third-party sites. I've managed to have a copy appear in my lap.

This set does not disappoint.

The first five discs are a much larger appreciation of the band's studio work than has ever been attempted before, although curiously lacking Go Now and From the Bottom of My Heart from the Mark I Denny Laine/Clint Warwick-era lineup; maybe not a HUGE omission, but those two were hits (albeit a small one in the case of the latter) on both sides of the pond. A serious overview of the band's career should not be missing those two tracks. To infuriate collectors further, the tracks from Days of Future Passed on the box are the original 1967 stereo mixes (you know, the ones the band claims are "damaged"). Some of the post-1983 selections are curious (I've never seen a fan rave about Slings and Arrows, River of Endless Love, or Say What You Mean). Sure, there isn't much in the way of previously unreleased studio rarities (a few mid-70s remixes for the attempted follow up to This Is the Moody Blues) but the box set does fill in a few holes from the band's guest appearances on compilation albums and includes a smattering of material released on other compilations and reissues but it doesn't catch them all (the Coca-Cola advertisements from 1968, Nights in White Satin in Spanish from 1987, and What Child Is This from a 1993 Christmas compilation are missing).

The next six discs are all live material with a complete reissue of Caught Live +5, the fabled Blue Jays live recording from England in 1975, a disc of highlights from Seattle in 1979, almost all of the 1983 Los Angeles gig, some highlights from Red Rocks, and further highlights from Birmingham in 1997. Those who collect bootlegs won't find as many surprises here but considering the fact that the Blue Jays gig didn't go around at all, this is the huge find.

Three of the DVDs are the 5.1 remixes of all of the Classic Seven albums, minus Lost Chord. Same as we had before on the 2006 SACD reissues. The other three DVDs are promotional videos and other random concert appearances. Nothing seen before, but it's good to have them in a complete official package.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
mel91679
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »

The book that this set comes with is worth the price of admission.
Joe
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »

I wasn't able to get a copy of the book, but what I've heard about the book is almost unanimously positive. Kind of sucks that the set is out of print...hopefully the band will release the previously unreleased concert recordings in separate sets.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:13:56 PM »

They're heading out on an extensive tour shortly.  Product might magically appear/reappear.  GREAT group...although it seems that we over on this side of the pond 'get it' moreso than those over 'ome across the foam.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »

The Moodies are a great band!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:31:29 PM »

The Moody Blues were definitely on a roll 1967-72. Very prolific era. All the albums were good, but I like EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR, OR FUDGE the least.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx