gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My take on Mike vs Brian  (Read 30181 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »

Who won? It ended up on the record as Brian intended, right?

As far as I know, yes. Although, Brian from what I read wanted the album to be called "Summer's Gone" (which I think is much more poignant), which Mike objected to the "negativity" of... so that portion of Brian's vision was unfortunately compromised. Not as bad as it could've been, with the song being butchered with upbeat lyrics though. Probably because some meddling "outsider" stepped in, or perhaps Brian just put his foot down, Summer's Gone (the song) came out unscathed. Good old Jon Bon Jovi - I never knew he had it in him.

Actually, Brian ended up changing it from Summer's Gone to That's Why God Made The Radio not because of any complaint from Mike (as far as we know), but because after having so much fun working with the guys again, he decided it might not be the last Beach Boys album after all. This is per Joe Thomas in an interview from the summer of 2012.

But then Mike decided a few months later that it probably will be. If you get my drift.  Undecided

Got it.  I guess I had it backwards a bit. It still seems like a somewhat tragic artistic abortion though. Brian was thinking ahead, planning an overall arc of a musical and artistic statement, and it got cut off at the knees. I'm glad we got NPP, but it's sad that his initial artistic intentions got compromised. Hasn't he been through that enough? It's emotionally traumatic; if ever there was a guy who deserves unconditional artistic support, it's BDW. Not all bands should be democracies.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:11:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »

We are all entitled to our opinions, even Dr. Love, however, it seems to me that the difference between Mike and Brian goes beyond Fosket's observation.  Mike has no appreciation for Brian the artist.

To Mike, a song's value is strictly based on units sold, so in his view "Kokomo" is greater than "Surfs Up".

I am not sure how you can be a fan Brian Wilson and not be overwhelmed by the TWGMTR closing suite. It is something that I had waited 36 years for.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:04 PM »

What always strikes me about these conversations that we delve into about Mike and Brian is this:  Everybody acts like it's so shocking, and so horrible that the two can't play nice with each other, when we ALL have family members, friends, people we've known that we're completely estranged from!

This happens in every family.  Some people just rub each other the wrong way.  It's a fucking MIRACLE that Brian and Mike were able to play together for the 50th celebration tour.  I've got a half-sister and a uncle that are fighting over about $1000 worth of life insurance proceeds right now.  They both think they're right.  The rest of us think they're crazy.

I worked for a guy for a few years, he was the nicest guy in the world but the job just run me down.  I'd never go back to work for him, even though I really like the guy and he's a hell of a human being.  You couldn't, literally, pay me enough money to take that job again. 

Brian and Mike are in a similar place.  They gave us a pretty good run, they worked together solid for 10 years, then spotty for another 20 years, then off and on for another 20 years.  They gave us a lot of great music.  Let them agree to disagree.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »

What always strikes me about these conversations that we delve into about Mike and Brian is this:  Everybody acts like it's so shocking, and so horrible that the two can't play nice with each other, when we ALL have family members, friends, people we've known that we're completely estranged from!

This happens in every family.  Some people just rub each other the wrong way.  It's a fucking MIRACLE that Brian and Mike were able to play together for the 50th celebration tour.  I've got a half-sister and a uncle that are fighting over about $1000 worth of life insurance proceeds right now.  They both think they're right.  The rest of us think they're crazy.

I worked for a guy for a few years, he was the nicest guy in the world but the job just run me down.  I'd never go back to work for him, even though I really like the guy and he's a hell of a human being.  You couldn't, literally, pay me enough money to take that job again. 

Brian and Mike are in a similar place.  They gave us a pretty good run, they worked together solid for 10 years, then spotty for another 20 years, then off and on for another 20 years.  They gave us a lot of great music.  Let them agree to disagree.

You are so right, Ron, it's sad. Very, Very well said.

To be honest, I don't think this issue bothers Mike OR Brian nearly as much as it does us. I think* they're both happier apart. So, really, as much as it sucks for us as fans of the band, in the end it's worked out for the best.

On a different note...am I the only one who thinks this whole thread is pointless? Neither side is going to back down and say 'you know what? I was wrong, you have raised good points'. All we've been doing is argue the same points over and over . Very few of us know any semblance of what actually went on/goes on behind the scenes, so a lot of this is based on speculation. Those of us who DO know a bit can't really say anything anyway, so at the end of the day...what's the point?

I'm half tempted to move this to the Sandbox.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2015, 12:35:38 AM »

AGD - damn I love being a Beach Boys fan! Has anything changed in the last 30+ years? Weren't we having the same Mike/Brian squabbles back then (meaning US = fans, not you and I). Nothing ever changes.

Indeed, it was ever thus, the main difference being that back in they day - that is, pre-internet - our disagreements and debates were far more civilised. Trolls, f*ckwits and sh*tweasels were yet to evolve (or should that be devolve ?). It was a simpler, better time. Damn, but I miss it. The land of lost content. There were giants in those days, real fans. Now, we get mental midgets. It's enough to make the Pope cuss.

Yeah, it must be an insurmountable bitch when folks here don't buy into your own spin. And, as is crass as it is, your deridingly incessant insults are infamously  smothered in your usual blend of arrogance. Run away from it as far and as fast as you can but you easily qualify for being as much a part of the problem as anyone. Has " fuckwits, shitweasels, mental midgets" become your rosetta stone for how far you've evolved? Or should that be devolved?  

I love it when a plan comes together so well that you can't see the sunlight through the joins.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Melinda's liberation of Brian from Landy was just a case of hopping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the most brainless observations in the entire history of this forum.

No... no that's unfair. I'm not pretty sure, or even probably sure: I'm certain.  Smiley

You know you are fuct when the guy accused of being on Mike's payroll to spread anti-Brian/Melinda sentiment tells you that your anti-Melinda statement is "one of the most brainless observations in the entire history of this forum."

I must needs qualify my sweeping statement by noting I've been on this forum, and its direct antecedents since February 1998. There's been dumb, dumber... and now this.  Smiley

Mods, seriously, this kind of slander, against a band members family member, with zero basis in fact, should not be tolerated.  If Mike or Brian says or does something crazy it's fair game.  Hell, if Melinda said or did something crazy it's fair game.  But this is a baseless accusation as it equates Brian's loving wife with the evil Eugene Landy.  Someone please call this guy out if it hasn't happened already.

EoL

Word. Chuckie's ten commandments were framed over six years ago, and are probably need of a reboot. Especially #2.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:50:29 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:10 AM »

On a different note...am I the only one who thinks this whole thread is pointless? Neither side is going to back down and say 'you know what? I was wrong, you have raised good points'. All we've been doing is argue the same points over and over . Very few of us know any semblance of what actually went on/goes on behind the scenes, so a lot of this is based on speculation. Those of us who DO know a bit can't really say anything anyway, so at the end of the day...what's the point?

I'm half inclined to agree with you. Probably.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2015, 01:52:38 AM »

Call me picky, call me pedantic (but don't call me late for dinner...) but if Brian was suddenly seized with the desire to visit Mike, it's a bit more than a quick once around the block: Mike lives in Incline Village, Nevada. 465 miles, a seven hour drive.  Grin

Mike also resides in Fairbanks Ranch, California, part of the greater Rancho Santa Fe section of northern San Diego County.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »

Not only is this thread pointless, it's not the first one of its kind, and it certainly won't be the last Smiley

What was that quote about "Brian Wilson" acting for straight white males in the same capacity as "Judy Garland" does for the gay community? People love drama, tragedy and narrative arcs, and they love inserting themselves into them. It validates their own emotions.

We don't actually know sh*t about "Brian Wilson" or "Mike Love", and that's the way it should be.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2015, 05:47:03 AM »

Not only is this thread pointless, it's not the first one of its kind, and it certainly won't be the last Smiley

What was that quote about "Brian Wilson" acting for straight white males in the same capacity as "Judy Garland" does for the gay community? People love drama, tragedy and narrative arcs, and they love inserting themselves into them. It validates their own emotions.

We don't actually know sh*t about "Brian Wilson" or "Mike Love", and that's the way it should be.

I like that. Well said.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2015, 05:58:08 AM »

The bulk of the problem resides with those who don't know how much they don't know.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:45 AM »

Agree with Billy, Loaf...and find it "manufactured conflict."

"Prolly." (Text-speak.)

Could not resist!  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »

Another thing less to do with any particular instance with Brian and Mike and more to do with human nature is the possibility that at some points over the years Mike has brought up writing stuff together, and Brian’s essentially going “suuuure, yeah, let’s do that some time”, sort of in the same way your parents would give that response when you were a kid and asked to go to Disneyland or something. In other words, placate just enough to get through the conversation, and nothing more. Sort of like when he used to say he burned the Smile tapes just to get the conversation on to something else.

That being said, I again have to agree with Wirestone. There is little to no evidence Brian has wanted to write with Mike post-C50 or even during or in the immediate run up C50. (And even then, he and/or Joe did invite Mike to add lyrics to several songs, perhaps a placating/political move). And in pre or post-C50 instances where someone has said they do want to write together, it’s usually Mike mentioning it, not Brian.

At this stage, there is so much personal BS and business/politics involved, I think the most likely way to ever get them together is through some intermediary. Essentially what Joe Thomas did on C50, but since Mike has apparently soured on Joe, someone else. Preferably, a Jerry Schilling manager-type that truly would be working for all of them. But there’s no way I can see that they can just call each other up, write an ENTIRE album together, AND record and release it without someone massaging the situation as it goes along, both politically and musically.  

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »

As for albums, if TWGMTR winds up being the swan song for The Beach Boys, I think its a fitting sending to their recording career. 

I still think that, eventually at some point, Brian, Al, Mike, and Bruce (and maybe David, Blondie, Ricky) will be onstage together again at some point.  I don't think it'll be a full tour, but likely for a one-off / farewell type show. 

My attitude with C50 now is that we got a better than expected album, and a better than expected tour (which unfortunately hasn't been properly documented with a decent live release, but that's another story).  Those of us who saw the tour should consider ourselves lucky since that was a nice moment in time.  The show I saw three years ago this past Monday night is in my top ten concerts of all time. 

It was what it was.  It was great.  And its over. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »

Another thing less to do with any particular instance with Brian and Mike and more to do with human nature is the possibility that at some points over the years Mike has brought up writing stuff together, and Brian’s essentially going “suuuure, yeah, let’s do that some time”, sort of in the same way your parents would give that response when you were a kid and asked to go to Disneyland or something. In other words, placate just enough to get through the conversation, and nothing more. Sort of like when he used to say he burned the Smile tapes just to get the conversation on to something else.

That being said, I again have to agree with Wirestone. There is little to no evidence Brian has wanted to write with Mike post-C50 or even during or in the immediate run up C50. (And even then, he and/or Joe did invite Mike to add lyrics to several songs, perhaps a placating/political move). And in pre or post-C50 instances where someone has said they do want to write together, it’s usually Mike mentioning it, not Brian.

At this stage, there is so much personal BS and business/politics involved, I think the most likely way to ever get them together is through some intermediary. Essentially what Joe Thomas did on C50, but since Mike has apparently soured on Joe, someone else. Preferably, a Jerry Schilling manager-type that truly would be working for all of them. But there’s no way I can see that they can just call each other up, write an ENTIRE album together, AND record and release it without someone massaging the situation as it goes along, both politically and musically.  
Hey Jude - people do things in their own time.  Each band has a full schedule of events coming up.  And what is this "evidence" of "writing together?" Does it mean you are on "speed dial?"

Writing together as "illusory" as a trip to Disneyland is ridiculous. Those two principals are still in a business together.  BRI.

What you or I see or don't see is of no consequence...that band does it's own stuff, in its own way, in its own timeline.  When they are "good and ready" you'll get a good surprise.  C50 was one of the best kept secrets in history.  They won't be telling anyone (nor should they) if and when they have plans.  It is a Facebook/social media mentality.

Relax and enjoy the music.  Please.  Wink
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »

I've always interpreted Mike's wish to write with Brian "in a room" to be in a studio setting. They collaborated together in the early/mid-1960's in various studios, in the late 1960's in Brian's home studio, in 1972 in Holland, in 1974 at Caribou, in the mid-1970's at Brother Studio, in 1977 at M.I.U., and on and on.

It didn't/doesn't seem practical OR REALISTIC for Mike and Brian to write new material while on the road during C50.  There was so much going on - interviews, photo sessions, rehearsals, TV appearances, travel, and other distractions that crop up with such a major tour. Also, there were family members present for some of the tour and you couldn't really blame anyone for wanting to take it in and enjoy as much of the festivities as possible. And, not to single out Brian, but I used to wonder how he even held up physically for the duration of the tour. We know he had some back issues, but just the shock his system must've been going through to undertake such a long tour after NOT touring like that for decades. It's hard for me to imagine that writing new songs with Mike or anyone would've been feasible or any kind of a priority.

The following has absolutely nothing to do with condoning, agreeing with, or supporting anything that Dr. Landy did to and with Brian. But...while under the care of Eugene Landy, Brian Wilson:

- produced 15 Big Ones
- composed and produced The Beach Boys Love You
- performed at a few concerts in 1983
- performed at The D.C. Beach Party in 1984
- contributed to The Beach Boys 1985 album and accompanying videos
- performed with the group at Live Aid in 1985
- appeared with the group on various TV shows during 1985-86
- appeared on the "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" and "California Dreamin" recordings and videos
- contributed to the "Wipe Out" recording and video
- contributed to the Still Cruisin' album
- appeared with the group on Full House
- appeared with the group on the 1989 syndicated TV series, Endless Summer

I'm obviously missing a few contributions and appearances, however, during Dr. Landy's treatment, Brian was able to "walk that line" between being a Beach Boy and having a solo career. It was only after Landy was removed that Brian began to focus almost exclusively as a solo artist. I'm not saying why; you can come to your own conclusions. But, for some reason, Brian went from being a Beach Boy, albeit part-time, to NOT being one...

First, my take on it as a fan, then the admin stuff will follow in another post, so there is no confusion.

The last paragraph, Sheriff, is just not true. I'm surprised Andrew or anyone else who has researched the timeline of various sessions and shows has not stepped in to correct some obvious omissions and errors in this. Let's get down to brass tacks here and I'll take a shot at pointing out some of the obvious ones.

A good portion of Brian's musical activity after Landy was given the boot was devoted to making music for the Beach Boys, or at least being involved in projects for them.

We had the Andy Paley sessions, which would also involve Don Was and his crew of session players. According to Paley, as those songs were being worked up, Brian was arranging and writing with the Beach Boys' voices in mind, specifically assigning parts to each band member in some cases as he went through the arrangement.

Prior to that, there is a Pulse magazine article from Fall '95 where Don Was spelled it out relative to the documentary he was making: "Halfway through the movie, what Brian said to me was, 'I want more than anything to make a Beach Boys album, but YOU go talk to them', so I did and they were all anxious to work with him. Since the film is partly about him repairing his damaged relationships, I thought, fine - let's get it on film, even if it's uncomfortable. They were all receptive to that, but ultimately the lawsuits prevented it from happening."

Again: "the lawsuits prevented it from happening".

Fast forward: Was gets into the work currently being done musically after the film was completed and out: "Wilson is now writing songs with Mike Love again, and Was says that "of the 40 new songs we've got, a handful are as good as anything he's written".

This "40 new songs" includes the Paley material, Soul Searchin, Still A Mystery, the Baywatch Nights thing, etc.

And what happened? Carl vetoed the new songs. Brian had been writing new songs post-Landy with the Beach Boys in mind, and Carl didn't want Soul Searchin or what could be the other songs in general that were chosen on a Beach Boys album. Instead of Paley, Was, Was' stable of session players, and collaborations with Mike, they tried to set up Brian to write with Sean O'Hagan.

And Brian wasn't into that...considering he had started writing original material with his cousin Mike for the Beach Boys as soon as the lawsuits got cleared up, songs which Brian and Mike and Don Was seemed to be excited about, and Carl didn't want them on the album.

Fast-forward: Mike's idea to do the country covers album Stars And Stripes. This was something of a trend at the time for those who don't remember, there was a tribute to the Eagles that sold tons of copies and got this whole country tribute thing underway, since labels like to ride coattails to sales any chance they can.

So the Beach Boys got Joe Thomas on board to produce, but the exec producers had a stipulation that Brian be involved. So he was, but wasn't because the band apparently didn't have much for him to do or didn't do much, however the spin. But it felt more contractual that he had to be there.

But...he was there as a Beach Boy, in the subsequent videos and also on the Letterman show singing "Little Deuce Coupe" with a singer named James House. And the Letterman cameras gave Brian plenty of close-up time because having him singing live on TV with the band was an event.

Having him sing background vocals to James House when given such an opportunity? Draw your own conclusions how that absurdity was allowed to happen.

Fast forward again: The Pet Sounds Sessions. Most of us know the story about Mike and the liner notes and such. How about this:

A limited-run tour was offered to the Beach Boys to perform Pet Sounds live as a tie-in.

Carl vetoed it. Find the reasons why, they're out there.

Right after this, Carl's health began to deteriorate. We have threads on this board explaining more of what went on in-depth with BRI and all of the behind-the-scenes happenings, so search them. But for a time Mike brought David Marks back to fill in for Carl.

Then after Carl's passing, it was chaos. You had Al Jardine and Mike basically at each others throats after Mike had launched a campaign to throw Al out of the band, and they were not on friendly terms to put it mildly. So the Beach Boys brand was literally in chaos. And immediately after, we got Mike's "Endless Summer Band" which wasn't all that great, we got Al's "Family And Friends" band, and we got Brian launching his first solo tour on the back of Imagination, a tour which I happened to see at Symphony Hall in Boston.

Now, Sheriff, and others -

How exactly was Brian not into the Beach Boys' activities immediately after Landy was out of the picture? He wrote songs with the Beach Boys in mind, recorded demos and full tracks with Andy Paley, he wrote with Mike Love, he got the band in the studio to cut songs with Don Was...Carl vetoed it.

He got into the Stars And Stripes thing, appearing on stage, video, and TV with the Beach Boys as they tried to boot-scoot their way onto the country charts and even sang backup for a country singer on Letterman to promote the album. It underperformed.

There was the Pet Sounds box, a subsequent mini-tour to promote it got vetoed by Carl.

While doing the Don Was documentary, he wanted to work with the Beach Boys and Don Was reached out, but the lawsuits prevented it from happening.

And after Carl's passing, the band's whole identity and structure was in chaos. And Mike eventually got his touring band, Al got sued for getting his own, and Brian eventually did his own tour too.

So...questions or additions? That last paragraph if not the entire point of the post I'm replying to just isn't supported by the facts.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »

The bulk of the problem resides with those who don't know how much they don't know.
LOL  OK, if I use that statement elsewhere? No amount of truth was ever truer. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »

I've always interpreted Mike's wish to write with Brian "in a room" to be in a studio setting. They collaborated together in the early/mid-1960's in various studios, in the late 1960's in Brian's home studio, in 1972 in Holland, in 1974 at Caribou, in the mid-1970's at Brother Studio, in 1977 at M.I.U., and on and on.

It didn't/doesn't seem practical OR REALISTIC for Mike and Brian to write new material while on the road during C50.  There was so much going on - interviews, photo sessions, rehearsals, TV appearances, travel, and other distractions that crop up with such a major tour. Also, there were family members present for some of the tour and you couldn't really blame anyone for wanting to take it in and enjoy as much of the festivities as possible. And, not to single out Brian, but I used to wonder how he even held up physically for the duration of the tour. We know he had some back issues, but just the shock his system must've been going through to undertake such a long tour after NOT touring like that for decades. It's hard for me to imagine that writing new songs with Mike or anyone would've been feasible or any kind of a priority.

The following has absolutely nothing to do with condoning, agreeing with, or supporting anything that Dr. Landy did to and with Brian. But...while under the care of Eugene Landy, Brian Wilson:

- produced 15 Big Ones
- composed and produced The Beach Boys Love You
- performed at a few concerts in 1983
- performed at The D.C. Beach Party in 1984
- contributed to The Beach Boys 1985 album and accompanying videos
- performed with the group at Live Aid in 1985
- appeared with the group on various TV shows during 1985-86
- appeared on the "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" and "California Dreamin" recordings and videos
- contributed to the "Wipe Out" recording and video
- contributed to the Still Cruisin' album
- appeared with the group on Full House
- appeared with the group on the 1989 syndicated TV series, Endless Summer

I'm obviously missing a few contributions and appearances, however, during Dr. Landy's treatment, Brian was able to "walk that line" between being a Beach Boy and having a solo career. It was only after Landy was removed that Brian began to focus almost exclusively as a solo artist. I'm not saying why; you can come to your own conclusions. But, for some reason, Brian went from being a Beach Boy, albeit part-time, to NOT being one...

How exactly was Brian not into the Beach Boys' activities immediately after Landy was out of the picture?

I didn't say it was immediate...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »

Right. Immediate, that word makes all the difference. How about 3-4 years?

Anyway, consider those years between Landy getting the boot and Carl's passing which threw the whole band dynamic  into chaos (legally, personally, and professionally), and you'll see plenty of Beach Boys activities from Brian Wilson which refutes the original claims in the post above. It's too bad Carl vetoed at least a few of the plans that seemed to have potential and one which saw Brian and Mike writing new songs together, and it's too bad the lawsuit got in the way of Don Was' plans to work with them, and all the rest of the barricades that were put up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »

All, anyone that reads the history of The Beach Boys, or has lived through it like some of us have, know that is a band (and I love them so much) that has let the opportunity train pull out of the station time and time again while they wait on the platform hoping for a better one to come along. And then have then boarded what looked like a better train, only to find out its all polish and no engine.

The problems are numerous. With all the stuff that happened to them, its a wonder that good things have happened at all. In the latter stages of their career, it has been others who have made those things happen. The ball really started rolling again for them after the Good Vibrations boxset. And that would never of happened without David and Mark pushing like crazy to make it as good as it was. The two-fers also helped in that area. It got people thinking about the music again.

But as we know the blunders continued. Pushing aside Don Was for Sean O'Hagan? REALLY? Bruce, what the hell were you thinking? There were also rumblings at the time, as it was told to me, that the group just did not like Andy Paley. I don't know that back story, but I heard it enough that it started to make sense to me why other decisions around that time were being made.

And yes, there were people, including some in Brian's own family, who were calling Melinda "Mel-Landy". Ginger Blake even said the life that Brian was living with Melinda was "the surrendered Brian Wilson" that had grown complacent.  Mike Love told Don Was, which Was repeated, that if Brian was off his meds, the would write better songs. So everyone has an angle. Its so sad, but that is how business runs. Look at the history of CCR and you will see brother against brother. It happens.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »

Anybody saying Melinda is worse than Landy are a complete nutcase.

I didn't say worse.  I implied that I believe Melinda is also controlling Brian and the message.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Melinda's liberation of Brian from Landy was just a case of hopping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the most brainless observations in the entire history of this forum.

No... no that's unfair. I'm not pretty sure, or even probably sure: I'm certain.  Smiley

You know you are fuct when the guy accused of being on Mike's payroll to spread anti-Brian/Melinda sentiment tells you that your anti-Melinda statement is "one of the most brainless observations in the entire history of this forum."

Mods, seriously, this kind of slander, against a band members family member, with zero basis in fact, should not be tolerated.  If Mike or Brian says or does something crazy it's fair game.  Hell, if Melinda said or did something crazy it's fair game.  But this is a baseless accusation as it equates Brian's loving wife with the evil Eugene Landy.  Someone please call this guy out if it hasn't happened already.

EoL

Heh...dramatic much?
KDS
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »

All, anyone that reads the history of The Beach Boys, or has lived through it like some of us have, know that is a band (and I love them so much) that has let the opportunity train pull out of the station time and time again while they wait on the platform hoping for a better one to come along. And then have then boarded what looked like a better train, only to find out its all polish and no engine.

The problems are numerous. With all the stuff that happened to them, its a wonder that good things have happened at all. In the latter stages of their career, it has been others who have made those things happen. The ball really started rolling again for them after the Good Vibrations boxset. And that would never of happened without David and Mark pushing like crazy to make it as good as it was. The two-fers also helped in that area. It got people thinking about the music again.

But as we know the blunders continued. Pushing aside Don Was for Sean O'Hagan? REALLY? Bruce, what the hell were you thinking? There were also rumblings at the time, as it was told to me, that the group just did not like Andy Paley. I don't know that back story, but I heard it enough that it started to make sense to me why other decisions around that time were being made.

And yes, there were people, including some in Brian's own family, who were calling Melinda "Mel-Landy". Ginger Blake even said the life that Brian was living with Melinda was "the surrendered Brian Wilson" that had grown complacent.  Mike Love told Don Was, which Was repeated, that if Brian was off his meds, the would write better songs. So everyone has an angle. Its so sad, but that is how business runs. Look at the history of CCR and you will see brother against brother. It happens.

Brian's recent songs sound pretty good to me.  Although, I'm not sure what time period Mike is referring to here. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »

EoL

Heh...dramatic much?
Come on now, you had to know that saying that was going ruffle a few feathers, right?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »

Anybody saying Melinda is worse than Landy are a complete nutcase.

I didn't say worse.  I implied that I believe Melinda is also controlling Brian and the message.
Do you have proof to back up your libelous statement?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx