gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - America's Band - Book  (Read 5996 times)
KDS
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »

Has anyone heard about this upcoming book?  It's scheduled for release Oct 27.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Americas-Band/dp/1454917091/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434469271&sr=1-3&keywords=beach+boys
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

256 pages ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »

Yep, I'm thinking it's going to be more of an illustrated history than anything, but I'm intrigued. 
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »

"This book offers the first fully illustrated, in-depth examination of the group's story..." Really? That's a pretty bold statement to make considering some of the books that have been produced on The Beach Boys.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »

I highly doubt the in depth examination of The Beach Boys story, but if it's a coffee table book with a lot of good photographs, it could be worth it. 
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »

With special emphasis on Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations.  Ugh...lets put emphasis on the REST of the story for a change...we all know and love the PS/GV deal but we've read about it 50 million times.
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

It's a Sterling book, they've issued similar ones on Fleetwood Mac and Eagles. A decent pictorial history, then, but I don't think it'll break ground.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »

Although it's their 'nickname'...are the Beach REALLY America's band?  Even though 80% of The Band were Canadians...wasn't 'The Band' pretty influential?  The Byrds?  Bruce and the E Street Band?  CCR?  The Rascals?  The Lovin' Spoonful?  75% of the Monkees?

I got into to it elsewhere with someone who claims that the Beach Boys association with Jack Rielly wasn't fruit-bearing.  I maintained that w/o it they might have sank from sight and might have just been another 60s act with 1 GREAT LP and 1 signature song.  Because they became one of THE BEST touring bands in the world in the 70s [thanks to Jack's guidance in terms of how to present themselves and the music...while at the same time becoming relevant again] that they indeed became 'America's Band' over the long haul.  Even better than Chicago who are still making music in the 21st centruy.

The book?  I'll likely grab it along the way.  I'm more interested in Brian's.  But the FACT...is what interests me.  Are they all 'that'?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

With special emphasis on Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations.  Ugh...lets put emphasis on the REST of the story for a change...we all know and love the PS/GV deal but we've read about it 50 million times.

Funny how with an emphasis on pet sounds and good vibrations the cover of the book is from the Surfin safari photoshoot..
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »

The page count strongly suggests this is not the Mark Lewisohn-esque career-spanning thorough band biography we would hope for.

Perhaps it will have cool pictures. Seeing something like this, I would set the bar so low that hopefully it might actually be of slight interest. It can't be worse than that Beatles-style "anniversary magazine" they did on the BB's back in 2012 that popped up in drug stores.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »

Here's an example of what could be expected:

http://www.amazon.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Definitive-Mike-Evans/dp/1402786301/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1434573459&sr=1-7&keywords=fleetwood+mac

Click the "Look Inside" option on the cover.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:12 AM »

No way can anyone go wrong purchasing this tome, as the author has previously written books on Lady Gaga and Disco.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 04:07:24 AM »

Absolutely agree! Focus on the making of albums like Wild Honey (haven't heard an awful lot about that), Today, Sunflower/Surf's Up, etc. instead. Or what about their European tours in the late 60s? The Caribou sessions?
KDS
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:11 AM »

I'm hoping one day, somebody writes a book similar to the one Bob Sptiz released on The Beatles about ten years ago, which is about 900 pages. 

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:16:31 AM »

Although it's their 'nickname'...are the Beach REALLY America's band?  Even though 80% of The Band were Canadians...wasn't 'The Band' pretty influential?  The Byrds?  Bruce and the E Street Band?  CCR?  The Rascals?  The Lovin' Spoonful?  75% of the Monkees?

I got into to it elsewhere with someone who claims that the Beach Boys association with Jack Rielly wasn't fruit-bearing.  I maintained that w/o it they might have sank from sight and might have just been another 60s act with 1 GREAT LP and 1 signature song.  Because they became one of THE BEST touring bands in the world in the 70s [thanks to Jack's guidance in terms of how to present themselves and the music...while at the same time becoming relevant again] that they indeed became 'America's Band' over the long haul.  Even better than Chicago who are still making music in the 21st centruy.

The Band were influential among musicians, but had far far less public/commercial appeal than the BBs and no real hit singles. The Byrds only really had 2 big hit singles and their albums are patchy. CCR were only around for 3 years then their songs stopped being played live... a bit of a killer for something hoping to be "America's Band". The majority of people in the Western world couldn't tell you the name of a Rascal song, or probably even that The Rascals is the name of a band. The Lovin Spoonful had a couple of minor novelty hits.

I'll grant you Bruce could make a case, but he's only one guy (not a band, obvs), and his biggest commercial period came after he dropped the E Street Band.

The Eagles would be a better bet for competition for the title of "America's Band". The Eagles are far more professional than the BBs, but unfortunately, their music is sh*t.

because of the nature of the 60s music industry, very few 60s bands have a GREAT LP, so even having 1 is putting them near the top of the list. And i'd say the BBs have more than 1 signature song. Surfin' USA, California Girls, Barbara Ann and Good Vibrations are all household tunes.

Most people don't read MOJO/Q/Uncut/Rolling Stone and don't read message boards. We are a minority Smiley
KDS
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 07:37:35 AM »

Let's not forget about The Doors, Aerosmith, and Van Halen in competing for the title of America's Band. 

I think The Beach Boys have the title because they say they do. 
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »

Let's not forget about The Doors, Aerosmith, and Van Halen in competing for the title of America's Band. 

The Doors certainly have the merch, but their songs are a little too cult. Aerosmith have the Disney rollercoaster ride, and could make a case, but don't really have the GREAT LP to push them over the top. Van Halen didn't have that many great songs, and have sucked for too long.

I'd add Bon Jovi to the list of potential candidates.
KDS
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »

The Doors certainly have the merch, but their songs are a little too cult. Aerosmith have the Disney rollercoaster ride, and could make a case, but don't really have the GREAT LP to push them over the top. Van Halen didn't have that many great songs, and have sucked for too long.

I'd add Bon Jovi to the list of potential candidates.

If you're looking for a great Aerosmith LP, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, and Pump all fit the bill.  Other than a couple of hiccups (Gary Cherone) and a long hiatus, VH's career is pretty consistent, especially for a band with two distinct lead singers.

Speaking of sucking for too long, there's Bon Jovi.  I'm a big fan of most of his stuff through about 1992, and even his Crush record in 2000 was good.  But, in trying to be a crossover/pop artist in the 2000s, he has completely turned his back on his roots as a hard rock artist.  Even Ritchie Sambora jumped off the ship. 

If I were going to pick a band from that era, I'd go with either Motley Crue or Poison because they at least stuck to their guns. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »

Or...are the Beach Boys America's Band [at least up to when they we're doing the 4th of July shows for throngs of upwards of 1/2 a miliion people] because they appealed to kids, their Parents AND their Grandparents?  Mass appeal versus a more 'focussed' target.

I know I really liked them a LOT...like MOST of all in 1963...thnaks to Surfin USA and Shutdown.  The first single I ever bought?  Be True to Your School.  The first album?  Surfin Safari.

There are LOADS of artists and genres I like...BIG TIME.  LOADS.  But the only one who ever mattered as much to me as the Beach Boys was Bob Marley.  I guess I like icons.  But who knew that when I first started buying their music?  Not I. Cool Guy  [and I really didn't 'dig' the Beatles all THAT much when they first kicked into gear.  But by Rubber Soul I started to come around.  The Stones?  Yes...and...No.]

Mass appeal seems to be the KEY.  Those w/o it don't belong in the converstation.  [or the book I'd wager.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »

The book may be total crap or awesome. Either way, I certainly can't fault someone for using the term "America's Band" in the title (other than for lack of originality I guess). The band and its fans (and/or lazy press) have used the term countless times. I can't think of another band who clearly and unequivocally is *more* justified in using the term. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »

Just to be clear...just in case...I wasn't REALLY finding fault with the decision.  I just wanted to make sure that it was actually accurate.  Perhaps it still is to a degree although having them pull a 4th of July Show nowadays in DC might not be as successful unless they were ALL there.  Even then? ? ?

Mike's gonna have to keep playing though if he wants to be around for when he's half as old as the US of A.  That'll happen in the year 2106 when the US wil be 330.  At THAT point Mike will be 165 and the Beach Boys will have been around 144 years.  That's potentially 94 years without a NEW album although there will likely be a greatest hits and/or rarities package released EVERY summer or 2 along the way.  [Depending on how long Grammy Award-winning producers Mark Linett, Alan Boyd want to continue sifting through the tapes Wink]

Hopefully we'll all still be around to buy them.  [I hope Brian's back issues will be history by then]   Cool Guy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:03:35 PM by Add Some » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »

Just to be clear...just in case...I wasn't REALLY finding fault with the decision.  I just wanted to make sure that it was actually accurate.  Perhaps it still is to a degree although having them pull a 4th of July Show nowadays in DC might not be as successful unless they were ALL there.  Even then? ? ?

Mike's gonna have to keep playing though if he wants to be around for when he's half as old as the US of A.  That'll happen in the year 2106 when the US wil be 330.  At THAT point Mike will be 165 and the Beach Boys will have been around 144 years.  That's potentially 94 years without a NEW album although there will likely be a greatest hits and/or rarities package released EVERY summer or 2 along the way.  [Depending on how long Grammy Award-winning producers Mark Linett, Alan Boyd want to continue sifting through the tapes Wink]

Hopefully we'll all still be around to buy them.  [I hope Brian's back issues will be history by then]   Cool Guy

won't that make you 166?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »

I have that Fleetwood Mac book.
Excellent collection of photographs.
If the BB book is comparable to the quality in FM, we're not bad off.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »

2106 will be the 50th Anniverary of the 50th Anniversary of the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds. 
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 01:16:45 PM »

The book may be total crap or awesome. Either way, I certainly can't fault someone for using the term "America's Band" in the title (other than for lack of originality I guess). The band and its fans (and/or lazy press) have used the term countless times. I can't think of another band who clearly and unequivocally is *more* justified in using the term. 

Why, it's Grand Funk Railroad, of course.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx