gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions you'd like to see addressed in Mike's book  (Read 20362 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »

yeah, obviously any behind the scenes info on SMiLE from ANYONE would be fantastic. Any new anecdotes? Did Brian approach you guys about recording any comedy skits in addition to vocals? Any vocals from Look or Great Shape or Worms you remember that werent on the boxset? Anything Brian said regarding the sequence or his motives for the big picture or anything funny/interesting he did that no ones said yet?

When/how did you realize that you had been stepped over for Pet Sounds and what was your immediate reaction? Did you openly voice your disappointment to Brian at the time and how did that go? Was it a surprise he did the same with SMiLE--had he promised to go back to the formula for the next album? How did you feel about Caroline No coming out as a single for him alone?

Anything Smiley. What were your thoughts on it? Did you guys see it as an experimental masterpiece or a simple stop-gap album? How natural/peaceful was the transition betweem SMiLE and this? Did it really almost break up the group? How involved were you guys in the creative process, considering the collective producers credit? Did ANYONE think you were making a mistake considering the sound of other contemporary artists and how different this was? How do you rank it today?

Why the duet single Gettin Hungry?

Were you in favor of using Surfs Up in 1971? Why?

What are your thoughts on Brians Back/15BO today?

Whats your favorite album you guys ever did?

What are your thoughts on Dennis or Carl's solo material? Any regrets they werent encouraged to release more of their tracks on BB albums?

Honest thoughts on Summer in Paradise? What was the plan for Masterpiece?

What other musicians influenced you? Brian modeled the vocal arrangements on the four freshmen...did you have an ideal to model your lyrics after? An artist or style you were channeling? We all know Brian taking inspiration from Rubber Soul...did any contemporary artists inspire you to evolve and try a new style at any point? Even if they dont influence your work...what do YOU listen to, in your spare time?

Eh, we need to get the guy on here and do a Q&A.

That may not be wise.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »

How about topics I'm not interested in seeing addressed in Mike's book?

1) If I never hear the story about he and The Beatles traveling to India in 1968 to meet the Maharishi again, it'd be too soon. (This includes the bit about the song Back In The U.S.S.R..)

2) The substance abuse problems of his cousins. It hasn't happened often, but there have been a few times when he's discussed the topic where (to me) he comes across as somewhat condescending.

3) (or 1A, if you prefer) Anything else to do with TM. I wanna become a practitioner, I'll hunt it down online or locate a qualified instructor locally. We get it: Helps relax and calm you, helps you to focus, helped you stay away from drugs, etc..

(I'm not a hardcore anti-Mike Love type. These are simply topics we've all heard him cover a million times. Time for something we haven't heard about.) 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 12:27:34 AM »

I'd like to know if looking back, he regrets being so overly pro-Maharishi over the years, to the point of losing Stephen Desper as well as various  backing band members in the 70's.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 04:15:03 AM »

At what age did Mike's hair loss commence? 10?  Evil
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:16:06 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 04:56:55 AM »

At what age did Mike's hair loss commence? 10?  Evil
Actually, this could be a book-worthy topic.

Here Mike is as band frontman, and already losing his hair in his early 20's. Bald rock stars were as uncool as it gets in the 60s/70s. Did Mike go thru the stages of grief regarding his receding hairline -- denial, anger, acceptance?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »

I'd like to know if looking back, he regrets being so overly pro-Maharishi over the years, to the point of losing Stephen Desper as well as various  backing band members in the 70's.

Did Stephen Desper leave because of the TM thing?
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 05:18:41 AM »

Your book...Regression Fairies are some petty bee yot ches ! Did you ever Ice Skate?  Hell has frozen over.  How hard has it been not being a Wilson?  Your family always thought somewhat better of themselves than the Wilsons.  Your the first Love that was less than a Wilson member..is it rough to live with that fact?
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 06:17:57 AM »

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speech.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

This definitely needs to be addressed. Has Mike spoken about it in any interviews since? It was a horrible moment. Funny that a well timed joke by Bob Dylan was what saved the day, but for Mike that incident did a hell of a lot of damage.

His odd style choices over the years I would like to see discussed at least in passing. I've been watching the Old Grey Whistle Test clip of Mess Of Help a lot recently and you can't look at him there and not think, "Ok Mike, please explain."

I want to hear his vision of The Beach Boys through the years. What he thinks the band should have been compared to what it was at various stages. His relationship with Dennis....

As long as he's honest it can't fail to be an interesting book. I'm not expecting 'the definitive truth about The Beach Boys', just the definitive Mike Love version of events.

It's a shame that so much of this thread reads like a shitty Comedy Central roast of Mike. One where the only roaster is Kathy f***ing Griffin.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »

This definitely needs to be addressed. Has Mike spoken about it in any interviews since? It was a horrible moment. Funny that a well timed joke by Bob Dylan was what saved the day, but for Mike that incident did a hell of a lot of damage.

His odd style choices over the years I would like to see discussed at least in passing. I've been watching the Old Grey Whistle Test clip of Mess Of Help a lot recently and you can't look at him there and not think, "Ok Mike, please explain."

Really? Up to a certain point I really like his somewhat odd style choices. He looked a little creepy in '69 when he was sporting the hippie Jesus look with the white robe on stage and I like that. Around the time of Surf's Up/CATP/Holland he even looked genuinely cool, like pretty much the whole band for that matter.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 02:39:19 PM »

yeah, obviously any behind the scenes info on SMiLE from ANYONE would be fantastic. Any new anecdotes? Did Brian approach you guys about recording any comedy skits in addition to vocals? Any vocals from Look or Great Shape or Worms you remember that werent on the boxset? Anything Brian said regarding the sequence or his motives for the big picture or anything funny/interesting he did that no ones said yet?

When/how did you realize that you had been stepped over for Pet Sounds and what was your immediate reaction? Did you openly voice your disappointment to Brian at the time and how did that go? Was it a surprise he did the same with SMiLE--had he promised to go back to the formula for the next album? How did you feel about Caroline No coming out as a single for him alone?

Anything Smiley. What were your thoughts on it? Did you guys see it as an experimental masterpiece or a simple stop-gap album? How natural/peaceful was the transition betweem SMiLE and this? Did it really almost break up the group? How involved were you guys in the creative process, considering the collective producers credit? Did ANYONE think you were making a mistake considering the sound of other contemporary artists and how different this was? How do you rank it today?

Why the duet single Gettin Hungry?

Were you in favor of using Surfs Up in 1971? Why?

What are your thoughts on Brians Back/15BO today?

Whats your favorite album you guys ever did?

What are your thoughts on Dennis or Carl's solo material? Any regrets they werent encouraged to release more of their tracks on BB albums?

Honest thoughts on Summer in Paradise? What was the plan for Masterpiece?

What other musicians influenced you? Brian modeled the vocal arrangements on the four freshmen...did you have an ideal to model your lyrics after? An artist or style you were channeling? We all know Brian taking inspiration from Rubber Soul...did any contemporary artists inspire you to evolve and try a new style at any point? Even if they dont influence your work...what do YOU listen to, in your spare time?

Eh, we need to get the guy on here and do a Q&A.

I've been saying the same. But I assume by your answer that means these points won't be addressed in the book, which makes me sad

Pray, unassume - I have no clue what will, and will not, be addressed in the book: just thought it'd be a neat idea to get Mike here and throw questions at him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »

Again, that may not be wise. I'd love for Mike to do a Q&A here but he'd have to strap on a bullet proof vest before logging on.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »

Bring it on Mike! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »

Again, that may not be wise. I'd love for Mike to do a Q&A here but he'd have to strap on a bullet proof vest before logging on.

Not really. He's no shrinking violet. Give as good as he got. Of course, hopefully that wouldn't be an issue but the resident trolls might needs be caged for the duration.

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

I want to hear his vision of The Beach Boys through the years. What he thinks the band should have been compared to what it was at various stages. His relationship with Dennis....

As long as he's honest it can't fail to be an interesting book. I'm not expecting 'the definitive truth about The Beach Boys', just the definitive Mike Love version of events.

It's a shame that so much of this thread reads like a shitty Comedy Central roast of Mike. One where the only roaster is Kathy f***ing Griffin.

A huge part of the craft of a frontman is presentation -- how to command the stage, how to costume yourself. Mike has struggled with this, especially in the 70's. How do you transition from sole lead singer to just one of 5 or 6 leads, while maintaining your role as frontman? The other guys have instruments. What does Mike do while Carl sings lead -- dance the Watusi? Bang the tambourine?

And Mike was in such a weird position. Initially, he's lead singer, and a pretty good one. Then it turns out that 2 of the guys singing backup -- Brian and Carl -- quickly develop into great singers, indeed 2 of the best that pop has ever produced. Where does this leave Mike's role in the band? Does he begin to feel superfluous, especially when he's no longer chief lyricist?

These are the types of topics I'd be interested in reading about from Mike's unique perspective. Anecdotes about meeting celebrities, not so much.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »

Not really. He's no shrinking violet. Give as good as he got. Of course, hopefully that wouldn't be an issue but the resident trolls might needs be caged for the duration.

As I've said before, it's a damnmaking shame there's nobody on this board named Andrew G. Doe who could probably do quite a bit in bringing Mike here.

And unlike many on this board, I think it would be really interesting to get Mike on here not to diss him or roast him, but more to get some better views on certain songs, albums and eras than we do now. Plus it'd be really nice to know if he ever plans on releasing new music ever again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »

Agreed sweetdude, but Mike doesn't seem interested in that. All he wants to do is stick to that BS narrative that spouts in his interviews.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:07:18 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »

After you sober up, try re-reading your post for spelling and stream of thought.        (wgaca)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:56:55 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »

Seems like Mike's people are playing moderator again. Roll Eyes

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »

We need lots of photographs of his cutlery collection.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »

Another point I'd like to see raised in Mike's book is whether or not he regrets not trying harder to make his relationship with Al work in the mid to late 1990's. I wonder if he regrets not working on The Beach Boys harder in the wake of Carl's death, in terms of relations with Al and Brian(i.e., trying to get them to participate as members of the group), and regarding the set list. Especially considering that his group is now doing "deeper cuts" like All I Wanna Do, 'Till I Die, etc.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »

From the (very) little I know, the least it'll be is... interesting. And readable: Jim Hirsch is a great choice for this, as he's already written two acclaimed biographies, of Willie Mays (authorised) and Ruben Carter.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »

After you sober up...

FYI, I've been sober for about thirty years, which is why your infantile comment is both insulting and pretty much what I'd expect from the likes of you.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »

After you sober up, try re-reading your post for spelling and stream of thought.        (wgaca)

I generally cut OSD slack but this seems over the line to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

It's a reference to AGD's insult to him here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20243.msg508531.html#msg508531

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx