gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:53:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions you'd like to see addressed in Mike's book  (Read 20358 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »

Mike why did you choose working on solo stuff over contributing more to the LA Light record?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:47:50 PM »

Besides anyone associated with the beach boys , who is your musical idol?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 04:06:04 AM »

1.  What's with all of the f'n Beach Boys hats? [Like...are they free?  2/3rds off?]
6.  Back to the hats again Mike...WTF?  Do you think they're a Beach Boys kind of Roy Orbison 'thing'...'cause they're not.  Sunglasses are.
11.  Do you realize that NOT wearing a hat 'could' work too?

Oh and one LAST question Mike.  Are you, as has been suggested, perhaps follically challenged?  Do you think that there's even one person WHO CARES in the entire world who doesn't know that you're bald?

Serious hate of the follically challenged here  Afro  - It could happen to any man!!! LOL

edit: my post 666, don't like that, must find something else to comment on
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:08:02 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 04:07:22 AM »

1. Is there are a God or are we living in a world without a stable centre wherein each and every human act is devoid of meaning as we hurtle, unstoppably, into a dark, empty abyss?

2. What do you like better, dogs or cats?

LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though... Mike, is that you playing sax on "What'd I Say" in Sydney?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 04:30:52 AM »

Less questions i'd like addressed in the book perhaps but certainly questions i'd like to ask Mike -
Did you keep much in the way of acetates/reel to reel copies of work from 1960s recording sessions or ones given to you by people like Brian ? Did Brian ever give you anything like home recordings/studio backing tracks for you to hear in order to write lyrics to or practice with ?
If so, is there a possibility that you,family or friends have some in storage somewhere that might be of interest to Beach Boys fans on future archival releases ?

You have often stated that you felt that Heroes and Villains was the last really dynamic track that Brian produced for the band. Brian and all of the band probably worked on that track more than any other including Good Vibrations. What do you remember about the various versions of Heroes and Villains that nearly became singles ?
Do you remember a barnyard type version or the alleged barroom brawl version ?  Any other versions spring to mind ?
To the best of your knowledge do you remember if Heroes was ever planned as a 2 sided single in a part 1 , part 2 form ? If yes, can you tell us how it went please ?
You once mentioned that you thought there were around 5 or 6 versions and it was a matter of selecting which one would be the single. Was there a particular version that you thought should have been the single rather than the one that Brian finally chose for release?
Can you have another really good hard look for that tape of Heroes and Villains you were playing to journalists in 1967 and anything else from that era or the 1960s era in general please ?
When the Smile Sessions Box was given to you to listen through before release, was there anything that sprung to mind as not being there that you can remember hearing at the time or working on such as melody lines or your bass vocal parts for songs such as Look/I Ran, Child Is Father Of The Man, Holidays, Do You Like Worms ?
With the benefit of hindsight, how do you think the band's career might have turned out if Smile had been released in 1967 ?
Are you surprised/pleased that the Smile album became so highly thought of amongst fans and musicians despite it's non-appearance ?
Can you remember if Brian stated flat out to the rest of the band that he had decided not to finish the album or from your perspective did it just evolve into the Smiley Smile album?
Is Brian the Orson Welles of rock or just a very naughty boy ?

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 04:35:04 AM »

I'd like for Mike to be upfront and honest about his past drug use, specifically in the 60s. I'd really respect that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I very well could be, but didn't everyone in the band, sans Bruce, smoke hash while recording "Smiley Smile"?

During their show with The Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East in 1971, Mike mentions to the audience how The Beach Boys were singing "Good Vibrations" with Buffalo Springfield on their tour bus, "all stoned and drunk." So what, was Mike lying to the audience, or did that really happen?

There's also a video of The Beach Boys playing "Heroes And Villains" in Central Park in 1971, and I could swear, it looks like Mike is hitting a joint at one point.

Lots of young people smoke marijuana (and surely lots of middle aged folks, and older folks). Bringing up Brian's past drug use in literally every interview makes Mike seem very uncool, very judgmental. Yet, it seems he smoked in the 60's and into the 70's. So, what's up with that?

Let me reiterate, my respect for Mike would double if he would just be honest and open about his past drug use.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 04:35:31 AM »

Oh i forgot , one more thing please Mike.
Did Brian or Van ever explain anything about The Elements to you ? Any indication of what Air or Earth might have consisted of ?
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 04:35:59 AM »

1.  Have you ever tried yoga or forms of meditation other than TM?   (I'd like to hear a lot about how he feels TM has affected his life and views, generally.)

2.  What are your opinions on prescription drugs?  Are your views on drugs influenced by your TM advocacy/membership?

3.  If people have so many questions, why didn't they ask you on the Vibe Room Q&A?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:12 AM »

The MIU sessions seem to represent Mike's last concerted effort to stretch himself as a lyricist. After the lp's failure, his lyrics became less adventurous, to put it mildly.

Was he disappointed? Bitter? Does he remain disappointed today, over the road not taken, or has he reconciled himself?
KDS
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »

1.  Talk about the seamless transition from striped shirts to white Good Humor Man suits to flowing ropes to Cowboy Jesus to the golden genie look to beach grandpa with ball cap. 

2.  With John Stamos's recent legal issues, will his spot he taken by Dave Coulier?  How about Bob Saget?  Saget did a mean one-man version of Good Vibrations on Full House. 

3.  When Brian was back, did you really not realize that he was gone, or was that solely for the rhyme scheme?

4.  When can loyal Beach Boys fans expect the next six CD box set with slightly different versions of 111 songs, and 12 more unreleased tracks?  Just wondering when we should stockpile another $150 to get another copy of Barbara Ann. 

5.  Do you and Bruce ever accidentally go on stage wearing the same paisley shirt and Beach Boys cap? 

6.  Have you listened to Al Jardine's Postcard from California yet? 

7.  Is every summer tour from now on going to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of something? 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 07:27:01 AM »

What I'd like to know;

The personality/attitude problem conflict with Al in the 1990s.
Why the great, original version of Big Sur has never been officially released.
Why Jumping Jack Flash was added to the set in the 1970s.
How Mike felt about the Beach Boys releasing mono/fake stereo LPs in the mid-1960s, while most others on major labels were releasing albums in stereo (as well as mono).
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »

What I'd like to know;

Why the great, original version of Big Sur has never been officially released.
Why Jumping Jack Flash was added to the set in the 1970s.
How Mike felt about the Beach Boys releasing mono/fake stereo LPs in the mid-1960s, while most others on major labels were releasing albums in stereo (as well as mono).

Re "Jumpin' Jack Flash": Mike has a serious man-crush on Mick. That's why.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »

Is this book a done deal?    Is it written?   signed sealed delivered?   Being edited?  Still a draft?
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »

How did you manage to get an f in love?
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »

What I'd like to know;

I'd be interested in this as well. Was Al's "negativity" just the fact that his vision of the band (no cheerleaders, deeper cuts) differed from what The Beach Boys were at that point, or is there more to it?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:32:41 PM by lee » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »

What I'd like to know;

I'd be interested in this as well. Was Al's "negativity" just the fact that his vision of the band (no cheerleaders, deeper cuts) differed from what The Beach Boys were at that point, or is there more to it?

Mike Love was no joy in the immediate aftermath of "Kokomo." It took the colossal artistic and commercial failure of SUMMER IN PARADISE to de-levitate him. Time has proven Al Jardine had the right idea. The cheerleaders are gone and the deep cut concept is in vogue for all factions of the band.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:51:26 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »

1.  "Wrinkles". Why?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

what is your familiarity with the Star Wars movies?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »

Genesis of Mike's "feud" with Mick Jagger. Back in 1988 or so, Mike asked a Columbus OH crowd "What do you think of Mick Jagger?" A few scattered boos. Mike: "Me too."

Did Marianne Faithfull snub Mike for Mick? Did Mick smirk in contempt when Mike admitted he'd never heard of Robert Johnson? Or did Mick simply refuse to marry Mike?

Jokes aside, Mike's apparent animosity toward Mick intrigues. I'll read this book with an open mind. I hope AGD really is Mike's co-writer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:22:23 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »

yeah, obviously any behind the scenes info on SMiLE from ANYONE would be fantastic. Any new anecdotes? Did Brian approach you guys about recording any comedy skits in addition to vocals? Any vocals from Look or Great Shape or Worms you remember that werent on the boxset? Anything Brian said regarding the sequence or his motives for the big picture or anything funny/interesting he did that no ones said yet?

When/how did you realize that you had been stepped over for Pet Sounds and what was your immediate reaction? Did you openly voice your disappointment to Brian at the time and how did that go? Was it a surprise he did the same with SMiLE--had he promised to go back to the formula for the next album? How did you feel about Caroline No coming out as a single for him alone?

Anything Smiley. What were your thoughts on it? Did you guys see it as an experimental masterpiece or a simple stop-gap album? How natural/peaceful was the transition betweem SMiLE and this? Did it really almost break up the group? How involved were you guys in the creative process, considering the collective producers credit? Did ANYONE think you were making a mistake considering the sound of other contemporary artists and how different this was? How do you rank it today?

Why the duet single Gettin Hungry?

Were you in favor of using Surfs Up in 1971? Why?

What are your thoughts on Brians Back/15BO today?

Whats your favorite album you guys ever did?

What are your thoughts on Dennis or Carl's solo material? Any regrets they werent encouraged to release more of their tracks on BB albums?

Honest thoughts on Summer in Paradise? What was the plan for Masterpiece?

What other musicians influenced you? Brian modeled the vocal arrangements on the four freshmen...did you have an ideal to model your lyrics after? An artist or style you were channeling? We all know Brian taking inspiration from Rubber Soul...did any contemporary artists inspire you to evolve and try a new style at any point? Even if they dont influence your work...what do YOU listen to, in your spare time?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:44:59 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »

How is it now Mike?    Do you and the guys still like performing or is it primarily a case of trying to do justice to the legacy while optimizing profits?      An honest and respectful question.   What is the reality?   
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »

Who first informed you about Shawn and Dennis? Was it Dennis himself? How did you react/feel?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »

I would like Mike to honestly address the impact that mental illness and emotional issues had on The Beach Boys without dismissing it all as "The Wilson's did drugs." I suspect that the drug excuse is easier to face than the thought of mental illness in the family, and the possibility of a genetic component.  "Brian did drugs" means "Brian did this to himself." I would like some indication that Mike realizes that's only partially true.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »

yeah, obviously any behind the scenes info on SMiLE from ANYONE would be fantastic. Any new anecdotes? Did Brian approach you guys about recording any comedy skits in addition to vocals? Any vocals from Look or Great Shape or Worms you remember that werent on the boxset? Anything Brian said regarding the sequence or his motives for the big picture or anything funny/interesting he did that no ones said yet?

When/how did you realize that you had been stepped over for Pet Sounds and what was your immediate reaction? Did you openly voice your disappointment to Brian at the time and how did that go? Was it a surprise he did the same with SMiLE--had he promised to go back to the formula for the next album? How did you feel about Caroline No coming out as a single for him alone?

Anything Smiley. What were your thoughts on it? Did you guys see it as an experimental masterpiece or a simple stop-gap album? How natural/peaceful was the transition betweem SMiLE and this? Did it really almost break up the group? How involved were you guys in the creative process, considering the collective producers credit? Did ANYONE think you were making a mistake considering the sound of other contemporary artists and how different this was? How do you rank it today?

What are your thoughts on Dennis or Carl's solo material? Any regrets they werent encouraged to release more of their tracks on BB albums?

What other musicians influenced you? Brian modeled the vocal arrangements on the four freshmen...did you have an ideal to model your lyrics after? An artist or style you were channeling? We all know Brian taking inspiration from Rubber Soul...did any contemporary artists inspire you to evolve and try a new style at any point? Even if they dont influence your work...what do YOU listen to, in your spare time?

Eh, we need to get the guy on here and do a Q&A.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »

Eh, we need to get the guy on here and do a Q&A.

I've been saying the same. But I assume by your answer that means these points won't be addressed in the book, which makes me sad

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx