gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:07:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions you'd like to see addressed in Mike's book  (Read 20428 times)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »

1)Why did Mike receive co-writing credit on some songs but not on others?

2)When did Mike know that he wasn't receiving credit on a particular song? Before he wrote the lyrics? At some point afterwards? Did he have to wait to see the record jacket?

3) Once the non-credit happened for the 1st time, why did he continue to contribute lyrics? For California Girls, for instance, did he ask for assurances, before the record was released, that he would get a credit? Was he ever lied to?

4) This situation changed at some point -- Good Vibrations? Smiley Smile? The Wild Honey lp? What happened?

5) Mike co-wrote frequently with Al, and occasionally with Dennis. Why did he not strike up a regular writing partnership with Carl, who didn't write lyrics on his own? And why did Mike partner, in the 80's, with Terry Melcher, rather than with Bruce?

If anyone wishes to contribute to this topic, please ask questions that Mike might actually address, and not stuff like "why, Mike are you such a jerk?" There are more than enough topics for that crap.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »

1. Mike, what did you mean exactly when you used the term "Probably"?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »

1. Michael, how have you remained so positive in fifty plus years of dealing with constant criticism from the fan base?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

1. Michael, how have you remained so positive in fifty plus years of dealing with constant criticism from the fan base?

No sense getting into fantasy

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 03:38:45 PM »

2)When did Mike know that he wasn't receiving credit on a particular song? Before he wrote the lyrics? At some point afterwards? Did he have to wait to see the record jacket?

3) Once the non-credit happened for the 1st time, why did he continue to contribute lyrics? For California Girls, for instance, did he ask for assurances, before the record was released, that he would get a credit? Was he ever lied to?

4) This situation changed at some point -- Good Vibrations? Smiley Smile? The Wild Honey lp? What happened?

5) Mike co-wrote frequently with Al, and occasionally with Dennis. Why did he not strike up a regular writing partnership with Carl, who didn't write lyrics on his own? And why did Mike partner, in the 80's, with Terry Melcher, rather than with Bruce?

If anyone wishes to contribute to this topic, please ask questions that Mike might actually address, and not stuff like "why, Mike are you such a jerk?" There are more than enough topics for that crap.

Seems like all the lyrical controversy tunes were pre-1967. It stopped with SMILEY SMILE. (The "Wouldn't It Be Nice" credit is a close call.)

Would like to hear more about the 1970 nervous breakdown and recovery.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »

1.  What's with all of the f'n Beach Boys hats? [Like...are they free?  2/3rds off?]
2.  Do you REALLY think that  "good night m'baby/Sleep tightm.baby"  is worthy of a lyrics credit?  [and more money?]
3.  Are you really of the opinion that YOU are the KEY Beach Boy?  if not then why be so hard on those you consider to be your lessers?  I you do think that...then why do you think that?
4.  Music is not your prime are of expertise.  What is?  How's the new album shaping up?
5.  Did you ever have to prove that you could make it alone but then decided that THAT wasn't you?
6.  Back to the hats again Mike...WTF?  Do you think they're a Beach Boys kind of Roy Orbison 'thing'...'cause they're not.  Sunglasses are.
7.  Do you think that there's ANYONE left in the Western civilization who isn't aware that Brian ONCE had an era where drug abuse was an issue?
8.  Are you of Swedish decent?  Do you [therefore] play hockey?  Why don't you wear a hockey helmet on stage?  Do blue and gold mean anything to you?  Ulf Nilsson?
9.  Are you a little bit bitter about playing always second fiddle to all of the Wilsons...including that huge blunderer Murry?  How many 'steps' are there...possibly...in YOUR 2 step?
10.  Do you not think that if you had played your cards more wisely and that if you had kept them more close to your vest that MANY of the fans would have had a fucking TON more of respect for you than they do now?
11.  Do you realize that NOT wearing a hat 'could' work too?

12.  Sincerity is cool...if it's real.  Is it real Mike?  I hope so.

Oh and one LAST question Mike.  Are you, as has been suggested, perhaps follically challenged?  Do you think that there's even one person WHO CARES in the entire world who doesn't know that you're bald?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:45:04 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »

Your skill today is singing live rather than song writing. Why can't you just live with it?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »

1.  What's with all of the f'n Beach Boys hats? [Like...are they free?  2/3rds off?]
2.  Do you REALLY think that  "good night m'baby/Sleep tightm.baby"  is worthy of a lyrics credit?  [and more money?]
3.  Are you really of the opinion that YOU are the KEY Beach Boy?  if not then why be so hard on those you consider to be your lessers?  I you do think that...then why do you think that?
4.  Music is not your prime are of expertise.  What is?  How's the new album shaping up?
5.  Did you ever have to prove that you could make it alone but then decided that THAT wasn't you?
6.  Back to the hats again Mike...WTF?  Do you think they're a Beach Boys kind of Roy Orbison 'thing'...'cause they're not.  Sunglasses are.
7.  Do you think that there's ANYONE left in the Western civilization who isn't aware that Brian ONCE had an era where drug abuse was an issue?
8.  Are you of Swedish decent?  Do you [therefore] play hockey?  Why don't you wear a hockey helmet on stage?  Do blue and gold mean anything to you?  Ulf Nilsson?
9.  Are you a little bit bitter about playing always second fiddle to all of the Wilsons...including that huge blunderer Murry?  How many 'steps' are there...possibly...in YOUR 2 step?
10.  Do you not think that if you had played your cards more wisely and that if you had kept them more close to your vest that MANY of the fans would have had a fucking TON more of respect for you than they do now?
11.  Do you realize that NOT wearing a hat 'could' work too?

12.  Sincerity is cool...if it's real.  Is it real Mike?  I hope so.

Oh and one LAST question Mike.  Are you, as has been suggested, perhaps follically challenged?  Do you think that there's even one person WHO CARES in the entire world who doesn't know that you're bald?

#2  Actually, yes. It is a hook to the song. No doubt, the credit should read Wilson-Asher-Love, but if Brian can get a co-write for "Deirdre", hell yes.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

#2  Actually, yes. It is a hook to the song. No doubt, the credit should read Wilson-Asher-Love, but if Brian can get a co-write for "Deirdre", hell yes.

You just saved me a post. Agree completely.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »

Your skill today is singing live rather than song writing. Why can't you just live with it?

Again, if Mike Love had been properly credited as a lyricist way back when, this joke would not be relevant.

Wait a sec...you said "today" not 1961-73. I get it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:58:30 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

You just saved me a post. Agree completely.

Another thread maybe, but what was Brian's contribution to "Santa Ana Winds"? Shouldn't the credit read "Jardine-Wilson"?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »

That's a good question. I've no idea.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »

I think I read that Bruce gave Brian a credit on that song, mostly because he wanted to have a song published that had a co-write with Brian.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »

Good questions, and good thread idea-- although it can easily derail into accusation.
I think I can answer #5. The partnership with Melcher was actually Bruce's idea. He tought those two could work well together and made up an encounter between Mike and Terry by calling each of them separately and telling him that the other wanted to contact him. They eventually called each other.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »

When did Mike start playing the saxophone, how much saxophone did he play on early Beach Boys records, and does he still play it?

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »

myKe, why do you insist calling your travelling jukebox, copy, tribute band The Beach Boys?

Couldn't you sell tickets as myKe and br00th?

What is the real reason you want to get in a room with Brian?

What is your excuse for Wrinkles? I mean...why?

At 74, can you still "bleat"?

When are you going to see Love and Mercy?   Huh Huh Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »

1. Is there are a God or are we living in a world without a stable centre wherein each and every human act is devoid of meaning as we hurtle, unstoppably, into a dark, empty abyss?

2. What do you like better, dogs or cats?
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »

1. What is your favorite live era?

2. Could you discuss "Smiley Smile" and "Love You".

3. What songs or albums did you think would sell well that did not?
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »

It's cool that some folks's chief concern with the Beach Boys is in bashing Mike Love. He is certainly eminently bashable.

But there are others of us who are interested in Beach Boys history. Mike Love is working on an autobiography. There are still mysteries out there, and Mike is in a position to clear some of them up, especially on topics which we know concern him deeply, like writing credits.

There already exist many threads on which you can exercise your anti-Mike animus. And I can't stop you from doing that here.

I can only request, as a matter of simple courtesy, that you leave one thread for those of us -- and maybe it's only me -- who are interested in the history of the band.

There is an off-chance that Mike's co-author might drift over here someday, and maybe this thread could give him some ideas. And even if that doesn't happen, still it might be convenient to accumulate here some unanswered questions regarding Mike's time with the band.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »

I would like Mike to talk about the early days on the road with Murry and all of the hijinks with the guys, traveling in the station wagon, getting fined for cursing, meeting girls, etc... That whole first rush of fame would be cool to hear.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »

Mike's role in removing Murry as manager would be interesting. Have heard stories of a physical altercation between Mike and Murry. Did witnessing supposed altercation give the Wilson brothers the confidence to fire their dad? Was Murry fired by Brian, or Brian and Mike?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 10:22:22 PM »

Only one real question I would like Mike to expound upon.  Does he (now) regret not following w/Brian further into more musically explorative territories (like SMiLE)?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »

There is an off-chance that Mike's co-author might drift over here someday, and maybe this thread could give him some ideas.

I would be surprised if that doesn't happen. It may well have already.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:06 PM »

Mike, whatever happened to your proposed followup to Summer in Paradise, Masterpiece?
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »

Haha.  ^THAT RIGHT THERE!

But as for me...

1- Favorite hat?
2- Favorite concert hat?
3- How many cars have you owned with suicide doors?
4- Deep, excruciating detail about thoughts and feelings of your side of what was going on?  No, I mean it!  Seriously!  Well... probably.
5- Will this book cure insomnia?
6- Bring about world peace?
7- What is the sound of two pets clapping?
8- Heights of everyone whose heights aren't already listed online?
9- The phrase you most want to be known for?  ("Probably", "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN", or something about some formula?)
10- Favorite hat to wear in a car with suicide doors?

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx