gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:18:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Fendertones raise the bar with "Surf's Up"  (Read 14560 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »

This was AMAZING.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »

So where are all the Mike haters at on this one?

Uncalled for. Just enjoy.

And...

To label this a cover is close to insulting: it's on a totally different plane. It's more than a cover, beyond even a re-imagining. Call it an invocation, if you will, an extended moment of transcendence. Time stopped, God smiled.

So, I take it you like it.  Cheesy

But the only reason I wouldn't call it a cover is because some actual Beach Boys are involved, as it's pretty much a note for note duplication of the original arrangement. An extremely well-done duplication, mind you.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »

That's a very, very nice version of "Surf's Up," complete with two actual Beach Boys, most of the BB Band, and several of the BW Band. Well done, all!  Listening
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »

This is gorgeous on a number of levels. Obviously the song itself is one of Brian's (if not THE) most extraordinary. The performances are rich, faithful, and nuanced. But most significantly, to see members of both bands plus members of a tribute band, including Bruce but ESPECIALLY Mike, collaborating this way to recreate one of the original band's finest moments...well, it's hard not to be moved by it.

On the one hand, nothing will ever replace the joy of the C50 shows. On the other, think how spoiled we are to have two bands with such talent hitting the road at the same time playing music we all love, and that they do it so well!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »

I see Mr. Desper is cited in the credits for this production, as well.  Cool Guy
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »

That was one of the best things to come along in the BB world in a while.  Well done to those who put it together.  Points for Mike for joining in as well....great surprise.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »

That was fantastic all around, and bravo to Mike and Bruce for being a part of it. Super.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »

Truly wonderful. Just watched it again. Talked with some of the people involved last night and gave them a hats off. So wonderful. As I said yesterday, I think Carl would be proud of this presentation. He loved this song so much, which is why he pressured Brian to put it out. Thank goodness he did. Can you imagine if it hadn't. The Fendertones - sheesh, lets get these guys in that Pitch perfect franchise. They would kill all others involved. And since Elizabeth Banks is a producer and director of it, we have an "in". Just saying LOL!!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »

If Darian can sing it why can't Brian's band do it on the tour?

They have - many times. Why not anymore? I have no idea.

Yes they have, many times, with Brian singing the verses with help from Jeff on the high parts.  My point is if Brian doesn't feel up to singing it then let Darian.  Brian could still sng the most of it (minus the high parts) if he wanted to but must choose not to.
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »

A fabulous video, an unbelievable rendition. Everything about this song (and previous Fendertones recordings) is so precise and accurate. Aural magnificence and power to their elbow for recruiting Mike and Bruce, and spot on for them agreeing to be in it. How on earth did Edwin manage to persuade them to join in. Just one thing though, some of the more prominent members of The Fendertones seemed to be pushed to the side a little on this recording and it would be a shame to see them faded into the background in favour of the bigger, well-known names.

How on earth can they possibly top this? Or do they want to?
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »

Who are these Fendertones people anyway? Do they post here?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »

Didn't they do "Mule Skinner Blues" back in the early '60s?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »

Didn't they do "Mule Skinner Blues" back in the early '60s?

That was The Fendermen...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »

Yes.

Thanks for the nice words, everybody. To answer the question of where the footage of Mike came from, we went to him... it was hard to coordinate all of the schedules. Mike was recorded in a hotel room on Long Island, and the rest of the Beach Boys came to my living room in Pennsylvania. Darian recorded in two locations in LA, and Probyn recorded in LA as well. Scott sang his lead vocal in Florida, and the Stockholm Strings were recorded in Sweden.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx