gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:20:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Tough/Holland=Barely any Brian on them and yet..fave albums of many here.  (Read 15517 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 03:16:55 AM »

, and the light album was  leftovers of old sessions and remakes thrown together...

Complete tosh, of course: of the ten tracks, six are completely new recordings. Seven if you include "HCTN".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2015, 03:47:49 AM »

, and the light album was  leftovers of old sessions and remakes thrown together...

Complete tosh, of course: of the ten tracks, six are completely new recordings. Seven if you include "HCTN".
Good timin 74, love surrounds me&baby blue- dennis' bambu, sumahama-mike's first/country love, h.c.t.n.- rehashed wild honey, shortenin bread-brian's 76... the whole album was/is rehashed and/or re.recordings etc. How is that tosh??
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:18 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks KTSA isn't actually that bad ?
KTSA was WAAY more of a solid/legitimate lp than the light album and MIU.. it has 3 rockin cuts vs just the one on LA and no godawful disco remake. MIU was the group scrambling to satisfy warners, and the light album was  leftovers of old sessions and remakes thrown together...holland is evident in its contribution from every member and as previously stated- the bookend to their 5/6 progressive era, I would really like to find a good bootleg or compilation of the 74 caribou sessions, but the bulk of that was ruined in.a fire right?

But how many actual "rockin' cuts" does an album like Holland contain then? One? Two if you're being generous? Starting with Pet Sounds they stopped being a rock band for most of their studio work I think (which is perfectly fine with me).
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2015, 04:59:25 AM »

Andrew I'm afraid you are  Wall Wall Wall here. In Kook's eyes if it wasn't written on the way to the studio that day then it is old/rehashed material.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »

Good timin 74, love surrounds me&baby blue- dennis' bambu, sumahama-mike's first/country love, h.c.t.n.- rehashed wild honey, shortenin bread-brian's 76... the whole album was/is rehashed and/or re.recordings etc. How is that tosh??

Recycled tracks from earlier sessions:

Good Timin'
Angel Come Home (possibly - jury's out)
Shortenin' Bread
Love Surrounds Me

Re-recordings:

Lady Lynda
Sumahama (just - 26 days between original and re-recording !)
HCTN
Baby Blue

Completely new songs:
Full Sail
Goin' South

None of the recycled sessions was included unaltered, and 20% of the album was entirely new. Pretty much every single BB album since Surfin' Safari has included material from earlier years, either as riffs, compositions or actual recordings.

KDS
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »

Andrew,

No matter how many true and accurate facts you throw at this guy, he will always come back with his opinion that every single BB album recorded after Holland was a hodge podge of older songs and covers. 

But, your knowledge is appreciated, as always. 

PS - Speaking of which, I really enjoyed your Complete Guide to the Music of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys.  Do you think there's any chance of a revised edition that would include every release from GIOMH - NPP?  I know that book was part of a series, but just figured I'd ask. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

Andrew,

PS - Speaking of which, I really enjoyed your Complete Guide to the Music of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys.  Do you think there's any chance of a revised edition that would include every release from GIOMH - NPP?  I know that book was part of a series, but just figured I'd ask. 

That would be wonderful!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »

Im not trying to contradict fact or undermine albums, my main point (which most Ive seen concur) is that Holland was the last solid BBs album and the bookend of their progressive era..I realize the older songs on LA and KTSA were re-recorded Im just saying that it was prevalent they were low on new material in the mid 70s and it effected their output in the second half of the decade. After Holland the only substantial "hit" was Berry's rockNroll music; the BBs were a hit machine 63 thru 68 ans even tho 20/20 is a hodgepodge Id say its a more solid,rockin album than Friends, Sunflower and anything that followed, although Love You has some great moments. And I know I get snide replies when I mention the Ramones but all their key cuts 77-83 have a prevalent BBs sound and its mind boggling that sire/wb couldn't get them a hit when the BBs had rNr music..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

Im not trying to contradict fact or undermine albums, my main point (which most Ive seen concur) is that Holland was the last solid BBs album and the bookend of their progressive era..I realize the older songs on LA and KTSA were re-recorded Im just saying that it was prevalent they were low on new material in the mid 70s and it effected their output in the second half of the decade. After Holland the only substantial "hit" was Berry's rockNroll music; the BBs were a hit machine 63 thru 68 ans even tho 20/20 is a hodgepodge Id say its a more solid,rockin album than Friends, Sunflower and anything that followed, although Love You has some great moments. And I know I get snide replies when I mention the Ramones but all their key cuts 77-83 have a prevalent BBs sound and its mind boggling that sire/wb couldn't get them a hit when the BBs had rNr music..
They couldn't buy a hit from 1970 until 1976. They released some pretty decent songs too. The public wasn't buying it. Yet, they scored two Top 40 hits with old/new songs with It's OK and Good Timin', plus Come Go With Me, like 3 years after it's initial release. I don't care if a song is 10 years old, if I'm hearing it for the first time on a current release, then it is new to me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »

It's staggering cuz dennis's cuts on sunflower were killer as was til I die and california (on my way tt sunny)...those SHOULDA been big hits; WHO at that time was making great rockNroll? CCR peaked in 70, so who else was making great records in the first half of the 70s yknow..
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2015, 03:46:31 PM »

It's staggering cuz dennis's cuts on sunflower were killer as was til I die and california (on my way tt sunny)...those SHOULDA been big hits; WHO at that time was making great rockNroll? CCR peaked in 70, so who else was making great records in the first half of the 70s yknow..

Only about half a zillion other bands/artists.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

Brad Elliot's SURF'S UP discography indicates that the instrumental track for "Angel Come Home" was recorded in 1976. Is that accurate? If so, it must be from around or right after 15 BIG ONES.  

We haven't seen a ton of outtakes or surplus material from the SO TOUGH/HOLLAND era. They really should have held back SO TOUGH to make a double album, but hindsight is 20/20.

Most of 15 BIG ONES was recorded Jan-May 1976; I don't buy into the "hodge podge" theory with that one or MIU or LA really. Most bands with a history bring some older material to the table when it comes time to record a new album. Much of EMOTIONAL RESCUE consisted of SOME GIRLS castoffs (it showed) and nearly all of TATTOO YOU was the result of a good closet cleaning, which came out sounding pretty good IMO.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:36:32 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »

Well so tough minus mess of help & marcella is such a weak album and only the most meticulous completiats would acquire it know/ subjective or not I say holland was the true followup to surfs up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2015, 02:26:17 AM »

Brad Elliot's SURF'S UP discography indicates that the instrumental track for "Angel Come Home" was recorded in 1976. Is that accurate? If so, it must be from around or right after 15 BIG ONES.  

"Carl's Song" from September (?) 1975 is an embryonic version of "ACH".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2015, 02:28:47 AM »

Well so tough minus mess of help & marcella is such a weak album and only the most meticulous completiats would acquire it know/ subjective or not I say holland was the true followup to surfs up.

See, the thing is... not only was it released with those two tracks (in my cosmos, anyway), but it was also released between Surf's Up and Holland.

I believe that's what's know as an inconvenient truth. Probably.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2015, 03:18:24 AM »

Also, not everyone feels the other songs on So Tough are weak.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »

"Carl's Song" from September (?) 1975 is an embryonic version of "ACH".
It took me quite some time to make a connection between those two.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2015, 04:37:23 AM »

I strive for opacity.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx