-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Christopher Lee RIP
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Christopher Lee RIP  (Read 6047 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

Christopher Lee has died. He was 93. Very sad, a true legend and a gentleman.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Really sad news. When I was younger,  a Lee, Cushing or Price movie was the desired Friday night  pastime for me and many of my friends. I don't really know the Star Wars and Hobbit stuff, but have still love to watch The Devil Rides Out and The Wicker Man

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/christopher-lee-rip.html
KDS
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »

He was one of my favorite Draculas.  

I'm ashamed to admit this, but the first movie I ever saw with Christopher Lee was Gremlins 2: The New Batch. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:36:10 PM by KDS » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »

I'm going to watch The Wicker Man this weekend in his honor.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »

Really sad news. When I was younger,  a Lee, Cushing or Price movie was the desired Friday night  pastime for me and many of my friends. I don't really know the Star Wars and Hobbit stuff, but have still love to watch The Devil Rides Out and The Wicker Man

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/christopher-lee-rip.html

Definitely enjoyed many a Friday night Chiller Theatre featuring Christopher Lee (and Vincent Price) films. He'll be missed!
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »

Sir Christopher Lee: One of the best of the best! R.I.P. Sad
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

Sh-t!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »

I speak for all of us here on Earth... Christopher, we were not done with you!!!!

God bless you.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »

He was my favorite actor along with Vincent Price in what I call the "second wave" of horror films (the first being the 30s, of course).  Hopefully TCM will air a few of his films in his memory. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »

I had never heard of The Wicker Man, so I watched the trailer...  wtf lol? Brow  I'll probably watch it anyway.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »

I had never heard of The Wicker Man, so I watched the trailer...  wtf lol? Brow  I'll probably watch it anyway.

The Wicker Man is definitely an acquired taste.  I love all eras of horror, but I'm personally not a fan of the movie.  I get why it's popular.  I won't give anything away, but its got a great ending. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Often referred to as "Britain's Best Horror Film" and I have to agree.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

Often referred to as "Britain's Best Horror Film".
Really? A bit light for genre, the rites theme is more like "history". Documentary. Then again, British can never surpass Americans in making quality horror.

Also, great ava! You & me both the Residents fans! 3D (& ontor)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 02:26:55 AM »

My five favourite horror movies were all made in Britain:

The Haunting
Night of the Demon
The Devil Rides Out
The Innocents
Dead of Night

I like The Wicker Man, but not as much as the above. Same with Lee's first foray as Dracula (don't care for the rest). I'd also add Masque of the Red Death (Corman and Price, but also made in Britain), Psycho (British director!) and Alien, which I'd cheekily class as sci-fi horror and has another British director and it's probably the best thing he's done. Always thought Witchfinder General was dreadfully overrated, however. Of course, across the water there's always Bride of Frankenstein, The Exorcist, Jaws (which at least uses many visual tropes and techniques from horror movies, The Pit and the Pendulum and Rosemary's Baby. I'm sure I've missed out some great movies from eiither side of the Atlantic and I haven't even mentioned touched on the rest of Europe or the far east
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »

As I suspected TCM is honoring him tomorrow by airing his movies. No The Wicker Man, though lol.  LOL
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »

The Haunting
Night of the Demon
The Devil Rides Out
The Innocents
Dead of Night
I've seen all save "The Devil Rides Out" - if they're scary I work as mechanic. "The Innocents" just 2 kids taking souls of 2 adults that died. "Psycho" may be classic, but not every classic has mass appeal or significant value. Not to this poster, no. As for US horror, "Exorcist" is a big running gag - the "bad guy" looks like a doll from "Bride of Chucky". Such funny face it makes you want to pinch his cheeks. And "Rosemary's Baby", I laugh everytime when I see the finale. The people is like a big bunch of dorks, ha!

Ok, I'll bring the underrated title - Tobe Hooper's 1977 film "Eaten Alive", in some countries known as "Death Trap". Notable it has score composed by the director himself & his friend(?). The beginning, then we hear the background country music on the radio listened (& hummed) by Neville Brand's character Judd (actor of "Love Me Tender" fame, 1st Elvis movie where he killed him). I tried to search by lyric - one of these goes "'Cause I shot my darling's brother Dan", but it must be very rare or just isn't on any database. But it's a jolly good tune with good rhythm. Tobe shot it right after the TCM sequel, iir. He took its main actress Marilyn Burns to star here. Other famous names - Mel Ferrer, Carolyn Jones (Morticia Addams) & young Robert Englund pre-Freddy Krueger.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:38 AM »

You know, it's possible to disgaree constructively. You come across as a real mechanic at times.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 06:43:20 AM »

and I haven't even mentioned touched on the rest of Europe or the far east
For example? I'd like to know what's good out there.

So... why mention "the rest of Europe ..." if you didn't actually watch films from that side of world? At least this what I'm assuming by your non-response.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:00:20 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »

You know, it's possible to disgaree constructively. You come across as a real mechanic at times.
That's how I think about those films. You have to admit that any horror has some humor thrown in - fact. But of course, no one knows everything, so you not knowing that is not biggie.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:56:36 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 07:48:44 AM »

The Haunting
Night of the Demon
The Devil Rides Out
The Innocents
Dead of Night

I like The Wicker Man, but not as much as the above. Same with Lee's first foray as Dracula (don't care for the rest). I'd also add Masque of the Red Death (Corman and Price, but also made in Britain), Psycho (British director!) and Alien, which I'd cheekily class as sci-fi horror and has another British director and it's probably the best thing he's done. Always thought Witchfinder General was dreadfully overrated, however. Of course, across the water there's always Bride of Frankenstein, The Exorcist, Jaws (which at least uses many visual tropes and techniques from horror movies, The Pit and the Pendulum and Rosemary's Baby. I'm sure I've missed out some great movies from eiither side of the Atlantic and I haven't even mentioned touched on the rest of Europe or the far east

These are all good choices. The concluding segment of DEAD OF NIGHT still chills. Some of Lee's later Dracula films are so so, but DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968) is pretty good. RED DEATH may be the best of the Poe/Price/Corman films, yes. THE WICKER MAN fascinates. If he'd simply gone along with Britt Eckland's seduction, he would have been safe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: