gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:39:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Come Back To L.A.  (Read 12068 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »

Ok so it was later 76 and not early that tomboy, come go, peggy sue and the track for diane... MIU, Light album and KTSA were just as much hodgepodges as 20/20 is all I mean.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »

Ok so it was later 76 and not early that tomboy, come go, peggy sue and the track for diane... MIU, Light album and KTSA were just as much hodgepodges as 20/20 is all I mean.

Kook, would you die a happy man if everyone on this board agreed that 20/20, 15BO, MIU, LA and KTSA were hodgepodge's and should be sold off by every BB fan?

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

Agreeing or not, history is history and theres different ways to categorize albums: studio, live, compilation etc. Contradict it or not the BBs ran outta material in the mid 70s and thus putting out cover albums, outtakes etc.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »

Rare Brian Wilson Footage 1978 • The Beach Boys - Mike Come Back To LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jEGj5bLOM&feature=youtu.be
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »

Agreeing or not, history is history and theres different ways to categorize albums: studio, live, compilation etc. Contradict it or not the BBs ran outta material in the mid 70s and thus putting out cover albums, outtakes etc.

They wrote TONS of new material from the mid 70s onwards and you posting otherwise every other day is boring the sh*t out of people.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »

My, but you do talk rubbish sometimes. Most of the time, actually.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »

I'm sure this similarity has been pointed at before:

http://youtu.be/vQlPKmGh8V4

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »

Anyone have any thoughts about MIU, LA Light Album, KTSA, 15 Big Ones or 20/20?  Very curious.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »

Anyone have any thoughts about MIU, LA Light Album, KTSA, 15 Big Ones or 20/20?  Very curious.

Not completely cohesive, but they rate from good to decent. There are good songs on them, some guilty pleasures, and some crappy ones too. 15 Big Ones has the least amount of songs I like. It's just a bit too rough.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »

Starting with 15BO and proceeding chronologically, a classic example of the law of diminishing returns.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 07:20:53 AM »

Starting with 15BO and proceeding chronologically, a classic example of the law of diminishing returns.

I'm curious what your take is on Love You vs 15BO?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 04:25:57 AM »

I'm curious what your take is on Love You vs 15BO?

I was referring to the titles originally listed by Steve. My opinion of Love You has been well known for several decades.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 08:26:48 AM »

You prefer MIU to LA?
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

<<You prefer MIU to LA?>>

The question was for Andrew, but sometimes, I do.  Depends on my mood.  MIU, for me, despite the weak songwriting, is just good old fashioned fun.  A nod to the good old days.  It's just plain fun.  LA, on the other had, is an album for adults, commercial and polished, more of an attempt to make some real, intentional art.  It was the last attempt to make a truly "group" record ala 20/20, Sunflower and Holland.  It doesn't achieve the heights those others do, but has its moments... and its moments are excellent.

The difference between the two, for me is like Summer Days and Pet Sounds.  I put Summer Days in the car stereo on a sunny day for a trip down PCH to the beach.  I wouldn't do the same with Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:48:19 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »

You prefer MIU to LA?

I do.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »

I do, too. Whatever its faults, M.I.U. has serious BW participation. L.A. has virtually none, and a couple of good Dennis songs don't make up for that (to my ears, it's also the album where Carl descends into the anesthetizing pleasures of elevator music).
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »

Same here, LA is just so damn boring after good timin (BW song from 1974).

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »

You prefer MIU to LA?

Yup. Less... slick.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »

To my ears L.A. is an intermittently successful attempt at adult pop, yacht rock, etc. It stuns that Bruce did not have to sense to advise the band to cut the album version of "Here Comes the Night" to about 5:00, then include perhaps the first version of "Santa Ana Winds" and something by Brian, hopefully "California Feeling" or "Still I Dream Of It." That would have been a good album.  I like all of side one - even "Sumahama"- but side two doesn't cut it.

MIU does have more Brian participation, sure, but he was not the guiding light of the album by any means. Mike, Al, and Ron Altbach were able to use Brian's contributions to fulfill their own vision for the record, more or less. "Hey Little Tomboy" is one of the group's dumbest songs.

Is "Mike Come Back to L.A" about Mike Love? Much better here than as the milk-curdling "Some of Your Love."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:02:25 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »

IMO MIU had a lot of potential,but is marred by horrible lyrics, IMO the music and harmonies aren't THAT bad, in fact some of the harmonies are actually quite beautiful, for example every one seems to "hate" "Belles of Paris" but the harmonies are great on that one, sure the lyrics suck,but if they ever released a stack o track version of the song (or album) or stack o vocals (or both) it may give people a better appreciation for the music and the harmonies. Now L.A. also had some potential, the problem I have with it is that it seems more like a bunch of solo tracks compiled as Beach Boy songs (some with dubs from other members to make it more beach boys),a couple Carl solo, a couple Dennis solo,a horrible Mike Love solo, and a Brian solo with Carl singing, to me it sounds like a band on the verge of breaking up trying to cut and paste an album, and of course I can't forget to mention the horrible disco song. they could have easily placed a couple more songs in it's place, after all they had a bunch of Great songs by Dennis and Brian collecting dust that could have gone in its place.

as for 20/20, when I first heard it I didn't know anything about it being a "Hodgepodge"  until a few years later, so I guess it works out as a regular Beach Boys album for those who don't know that it is a "Hodgepodge", but those who analyze there work it comes off as being "Hodgepodge". 15 big ones, IMO, is their worst album, too many cover tunes, and the original songs are either older songs or "solo" tracks plopped onto the album. KTSA is not bad but not great either, it has songs that people either love or hate, for example a lot of people don't like "Living with a heartache" but I consider it one of the best songs on the album, the cover tunes are pretty much like they are on 15 big ones, although maybe a little more polished, but, IMO, still bad. IMO "Santa Ana Winds" is the best song on it, and it would have been great on "Holland" in the California Saga medley, it seems the last of the "70's" Beach Boys sound to appear on an album.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »

I'd love to hear the demos for MIU, Brian may have his name on the songwriting credits but the arrangements and production is all Ron Altbach who's style is a million miles away from Brian's. I read recently that Brian says he has no recollection of making the album, I wonder if this is true or if he just doesn't wish to talk about it due to the personal problems he was having during that time?

Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:46 AM »

here's something hella random: a cover of Mike Come Back to L.A. by Quichenight https://quichenight.bandcamp.com/track/mike-come-back-to-l-a
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

Enjoyed that more than SOYL!
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »

MIU is a fun album. I admit to loving it when it first came out. Nowadays, I rarely listen to it, but like several of the songs. It's toward the bottom on the Beach Boys album list. but has its moments. My Diane I like a lot. I admit to a fondness fro Match Point Of Our Love - I enjoy Brian's vocal and the melody. A lot of people don't like its lyrics, but hey, he was going for a metaphor. LOL

I like LA a lot, save for Sumahama and the disco marathon. Yes, cut it short and add 3 songs. Bruce - you blew it there. I agree that Brian and Dennis had several songs, several, that could  have been added and really elevated the album. Yes, it's a Yacht Rock feel of an album, but I like that about it. Good Timin' has always been a favorite. Good Brian and Carl song. I like Full Sail, Angel Come Home, and Love Surround Me. Baby Blue is very good.

KTSA - I liked it at the time. Haven't put it on in years. I like the title track a lot, Santa Anna Winds, and Living With A Heartache. I always thought a country star would come across Living With A Heartache and have a hit with it. The covers do nothing for me. I enjoyed hearing them perform KTSA live back in the day. Have a great summer memory of that in a concert at the Pacific Amp in Costa Mesa, CA back in the early 80s. Just out from Indiana and a huge Beach Boys/Brian fan, those 80s concerts in Southern California were like heaven for this landlocked small town boy.

20/20 - I never knew or considered it a hodgepodge when I discovered it in the 70s. And so what if it is? Its a solid album. I just bought it on vinyl again. lol

20/20, Love You, LA, MIU, KTSA, 15 Big Ones...................................................................SIP

My order of those being discussed. MHO
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx