gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:50:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Come Back To L.A.  (Read 12073 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »

I always took it that "Mike Come Back To L.A." didnīt circulate as a bootleg. In all my years as avid Beach Boys fan I never heard it before now, and I suspect there are others who would like to check it.

edit: I somehow canīt paste youtube clips here, but just type "mike come back to LA beach boys" in the youtube search field and youīll find it.
here we go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5YhYuJfr0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:06:37 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »

Nice find.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »

Sounds like that one eventually morphed into "Some of Your Love".
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:45:48 AM »

Hey, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5YhYuJfr0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »

Taken from the 1977 Our Team promo of the Iowa sessions: been on the 'net for many years, so not exactly a find. Would love to see a decent copy of this 30 minute prog - the very best I ever saw (back in 1983 at a small BB fan gathering that was also the first time I met Boyd) was at least third generation.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »

Did they even finish it? It'd be cool to hear what they actually got done. Sounds like they at least got the instrumental part close to being finished.  Brian sounds pretty good.  Sounded like he was getting part of his voice back.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »

I believe there's a finished track & bvs, scratch lead vocal.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »

Traces of Hard Times and Ding Dang in there to my ears…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »

Also "Child of Winter".

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »

The ascending structure of the chorus is a lift from Be True To Your School
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but the "Our Team" film is one of two instances where a "making of" doc was a done on one of their albums that used material that wasn't even included on the album. "Our Team" features "Mike Come Back to LA" and "Our Team", while the "Going Platinum" KTSA TV special includes "Goin' to the Beach." Granted, in the case of the latter, they discuss specifically that they left the song off the album.

I always figured on top of the all the obvious reasons they never aired "Our Team", it wouldn't be the best promotional idea to include two songs on the special that aren't even on the album, including the documentary's title track.

And yes, variations on the song's riff can be found all over the places. The melody/riff under the song's title can be heard in "Child of Winter" and "Some of Your Love", and to some degree even in the dreadful "Summer of Love" years later.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »

So they were simultaneously on warners and columbia in the fall of 77, had an album due soon to honor the new deal but then realized wb expected one more as well? They go to MIU and the xmas album is rejected so they took the four cuts from the 15bO sessions, reword the xmas songs and the MIU album was the end result? I still have no idea why the light album would get any more credit and why Our team wasnt included in place of say tomboy, wontcha come out tonight or winds of change. .
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but the "Our Team" film is one of two instances where a "making of" doc was a done on one of their albums that used material that wasn't even included on the album. "Our Team" features "Mike Come Back to LA" and "Our Team", while the "Going Platinum" KTSA TV special includes "Goin' to the Beach." Granted, in the case of the latter, they discuss specifically that they left the song off the album.

I always figured on top of the all the obvious reasons they never aired "Our Team", it wouldn't be the best promotional idea to include two songs on the special that aren't even on the album, including the documentary's title track.

And yes, variations on the song's riff can be found all over the places. The melody/riff under the song's title can be heard in "Child of Winter" and "Some of Your Love", and to some degree even in the dreadful "Summer of Love" years later.

And "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

The session dates show that they recorded the Xmas and non-Xmas version of some songs in tandem at MIU. Farewell to another long held BB myth !

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »

So they were simultaneously on warners and columbia in the fall of 77, had an album due soon to honor the new deal but then realized wb expected one more as well? They go to MIU and the xmas album is rejected so they took the four cuts from the 15bO sessions, reword the xmas songs and the MIU album was the end result? I still have no idea why the light album would get any more credit and why Our team wasnt included in place of say tomboy, wontcha come out tonight or winds of change. .

MIU has no songs from the 15BO sessions on it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 03:35:18 AM »

come go w me, peggy sue, my diane & tomboy all orig recorded in 76, some polishing possibly done at MIU but I have the book w the session listings.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:16:24 AM »

come go w me, peggy sue, my diane & tomboy all orig recorded in 76, some polishing possibly done at MIU but I have the book w the session listings.

which book is that?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 06:47:07 AM »

Beach Boys definitive diary, big blue book with all recording sessh documented.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »

Both the oldies covers were recorded during 15BOs but the MIU recordings are totally new versions. Tomboy and Diane were never done during the making of 15BOs. They were started during the Love You/New Album era. Dennis cut his vocal for My Diane after the MIU sessions. 

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:32 AM »

Nobody else notices that it's also the main riff of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight?" from MIU
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »

You mean this? - http://www.amazon.com/The-Beach-Boys-Definitive-Americas/dp/B0076TVMTQ

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »

"Peggy Sue" and the badic track for "Come Go With Me" were recorded during the 15 BO sessions.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »

Not all, and a goodly percentage is inaccurate or misleading.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »

"Peggy Sue" and the badic track for "Come Go With Me" were recorded during the 15 BO sessions.

I stand corrected. Was nothing added later for Peggy Sue? The MIU track seems to sound much more like a Ron Altbach arrangement then a Brian Wilson one.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx